PDA

View Full Version : Why Wigan owe us one.

spionkop
29-04-2014, 10:53 AM
The last time I saw Blues play Wigan was in the F.A. Cup in January 1978. Wigan were non-league at the time and although we won 4-0 (two each from Francis and Bertschin) they gave us a hard match and I think at half time it was 0-0.
What I didn't know however was that it heralded a crucial moment in Wigan's history as the following recounts:-

"Having fought their way past Marine (3-0, 4th qualifying round), York City (1-0, 1st round) and Sheffield Wednesday (1-0, 2nd round) the Latics were drawn to face Birmingham City of the 1st Division (Premier League), who were managed by England's World Cup winning boss Sir Alf Ramsey and a team of players who were households.

Lactics lost the cup tie at St Andrews 4-0 that day in front of 29,202, but made a very influential friend, Alf Ramsey was so taken by the professionalism of the Latics as a club that he promised to canvas our cause around the other top flight clubs who would vote on re-election at the League's AGM in June that year

Anubis_wafc
29-04-2014, 11:04 AM
B) That's nice bit of history mate and I honestly heart warmed reading it but I cant trust our lot to do Blackburn on last game :blue:

It's a **** feeling sending a team down :blue: apart from that glourious day against West Ham XD XD XD XD

Look it this way you could be sweating on a game against Southport tonight ;D

bassman
29-04-2014, 03:16 PM
fortunately we dont have to win tonight but as we have a snowball's chance in hell of beating bolton away on saturday its going to be a point needed , i was at that game against wigan in the 70's as spion says it was a tough first half , you used to have a player that looked like he was archie gemmils brother in midfield i remember him being a bit of a terrier. Southport hold no fears , i should know i live there

bluesince62
29-04-2014, 03:48 PM
More recently, they rested most of their first team against Millwall with the semi final in mind allowing Millwall to get a crucial win and last week they ballsed it up by allowing Blackpool to beat them.

I suspect though they will repay us by bumming us tonight.

*puts Wigan into little black book alongside Vile and Wolves*

KRO

viperblue
29-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I can see nothing but a Wigan win, but I have
been surprised before. Unfortunately my spirit as been broken over the last 3 years
KRO

rigottireed
30-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Wigan change the team by about 5 players every game.. They didnt rest players for the Millwall game just played the other team... Wigan also played the so called full strength team against blackpool and lost so it doesnt really mean anything either way ..