PDA

View Full Version : PAUL DICKOV

Juninho
03-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Rob Staton a??@robstaton 6m
Following relegation Doncaster manager Paul Dickov tells me he has the backing of the board. "They want me here next season." #DRFC

Alcott
03-05-2014, 01:52 PM
...but we don't want the Board here next season!

oscarhold
03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Whilst I am not in love with the Board, it would take a mega benefactor to sustain Championship football on the miserable crowds we attract. OK , one of the reasons is that nobody wants to watch a losing team but even when we hit a good spell (can you just remember one ?) we get very few more through the turnstiles. Our more reasonable gates this year have been entirely down to decent followings from the away team supporters. It was all too predictable when we went into the Championship that investment in the playing squad would be minimal and, as the table has proved , we are nowhere near good enough to aspire to a mid table position. Catch 22, I'm afraid. low attendances equals lower league football. Now sit back and wait for the usual spate of free, last minute signings late in the close season. Mainly strays seeking a last minute refuge
Like the usual dependable core of supporters I have already renewed my Season Ticket and will be there for another League One campaign but it do ge

Septus
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Started to read the thread thinking it was a joke, then realized that there was no punch line and then thought omg its no joke. We need to get rid of the brickies and this apology for a manager otherwise we will only go one way. My only positive from this is that I have not renewed my ticket. As for poor crowds, you need sustained results to build up a following and at present this club due to how its run and managed is failing, I am not talking about pushing for the prem but just playing decent football with results that matter, not some of the abject displays put before us this year. The joke today was Boltons inability to hold a 2nil lead, really makes you wonder.

SilverTop60
03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
As I expected, we started the season with dreams of a large investment and talk of going for the Premiership. Looking back we squandered the opportunity of the investment, lost John Ryan as chairman, had a poor season and go straight back down again. No surprise there.

Dave Penney and Sean O'Driscoll managed us through some great times, but I suspect we won't feel the same one day looking back at Dean Saunders and Paul Dickov. The role of the management team is to find funds to pull in the right players, and the role of PD is to motivate the team to success. Moaning about the weather, bad refereeing decisions and poor team performance is not good enough. It's not just about having good players who just want an income, it's about having players with the desire to win. On paper, we had some good players in our squad but there was still something missing and it's the role of the manager to motivate the team to want to win every game. I don't think that happened and in the end we paid for

SilverTop60
03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
In a BBC interview Paul Dickov has said "we've done OK over the course of the season, but we've come up a little bit short."

What planet does that guy live on. How can he say they have done well when they have only got one point in the last 7 games, have only
scored 39 goals all season, and are now relegated. To me that is more than 'a little bit short'.

He says he is looking forward to next season! I hope he is - managing Alfreton or Southport, not Donny Rovers.

Personally I think the board should be looking to replace him with someone who can inspire the players.

Acido
04-05-2014, 01:25 AM
As a Barnsley fan myself, I can hardly ask about keeping a 'relegated' manager on. But are the majority of your fans now against Paul Dickov staying on ?

SilverTop60
04-05-2014, 07:12 PM
I find the whole thing unbelieveable. What other team would continue with a manager with such a bad track record, other than Donny?

49 games in charge, 12 won, 11 drawn, lost 26. Not something to boast about.

In another BBC interview he said "All our efforts now are to make sure we get promoted next season". Pity they weren't to remain in the Championship this season. He does not have what it takes to motivate a team to success.

How can we have confidence in a manager who led us to relegation? The kiss of death is on us for next season before it even starts.

donnygadgy
09-05-2014, 09:51 AM
How can we have confidence in a manager who led us to relegation? The kiss of death is on us for next season before it even starts.
Ever heard of a Dean Saunders?

donnygadgy
09-05-2014, 09:55 AM
...but we don't want the Board here next season!
A board doing everything in their power to make sure Rovers have an excellent team next season?Perhaps you want our board to behave like Barnsley and feck off their longest serving player eh,can you see our board behaving with the same lack of class?

SilverTop60
26-05-2014, 07:57 PM
We started last season with high hopes of a financial injection and talk of getting to the Premiership and Paul Dickov guaranteeing our survival in the Championship through his list of valuable contacts.

All he delivered to us was a place in League One. What happened to all these wonderful players he brought in? Macheda could only score 3 for us, and yet he can go to Birmingham and score 10 in 18 matches. I still say Dickov cannot motivate and drive a team to success.

I am sick of hearing Donny play "nice football" but as an Owls friend of mine says, we pass the ball all day but don't get it in the net. Billy Sharp will work his goolies off running about the whole match but only score 4 in the season. Who cares that we can string together 28 or so passes when we come 22nd at the end of the season. The team needs to learn to win at all cost and give up the "nice Football" approach. It's no good Dickov saying he wants players who play the "Donny way" if that's means losing.

We need a

donnygadgy
28-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Tell me why does this site attract the least understanding of all Rovers fans?Achieves one goal though,it keeps the numpties and windup merchants off our proper site,job done.Anyone not understand that, Rovers fan or not?

SilverTop60
28-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Thank you donnygadgy for your constructive, articulate, intelligent and well thought-out arguments against my opinions of the lacklustre performance this season. Thought of joining a debating society? Well done, you have actually managed 3 sentences.

It's nice to know that we have better class and play better football than Barnsley. Maybe that's why they have been in the Premiership and Donny has not and I don't suppose ever will be. We need a change in attitude and a drive to win instead of the apathy that is endemic in the club (and supporters like yourself) and considers last season to be acceptable. Other teams get the best from quality players, but for some reason Donny rarely does. Where is the drive and ambition that a manager should generate?

If you think I am one of "the least understanding of all Rovers fans" then why don't you use your grey matter to educate me. I am quite happy to understand why anyone can consider relegation to be a successful year and a good investmen

oscarhold
28-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Tell me Donnygadgy, if this site is inferior to the one which you prefer to use and is the domaine of numpties, etc - why does a knowledgable, intellectual like yourself keep straying on to it.
Are you some sort of Vikings inspired missionary tasked to help numpties mend their ways. If so, it is a great pity that they chose such an inept, ill educated person to do such an important job.

madirishsupporter
28-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Isn't DG an Administrator on this site?

donnygadgy
30-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Tell me Donnygadgy, if this site is inferior to the one which you prefer to use and is the domaine of numpties, etc - why does a knowledgable, intellectual like yourself keep straying on to it. If so, it is a great pity that they chose such an inept, ill educated person to do such an important job.
And what is that "important job"?

donnygadgy
30-05-2014, 10:02 AM
We need to get rid of the brickies and this apology for a manager otherwise we will only go one way. My only positive from this is that I have not renewed my ticket.
That comment could only come from someone that hasnt supported Donny very long,of course i could be wrong,perhaps you were stood next to me on the terraces at Belle Vue in the mid '70's when Rovers were regularly in the bottom four of the lowest league? We would've loved to be where Rovers are now!

donnygadgy
30-05-2014, 10:10 AM
I am quite happy to understand why anyone can consider relegation to be a successful year and a good investment for season ticket holders who would be better off with other clubs.

Ive read that and re-read that and i still dont have a clue what the feck it means,and you wonder why i only look at this site very very occasionally? Do yourself a favour,have a look at all the main posters in the right hand column,they have all gone,why?

madirishsupporter
30-05-2014, 10:40 AM
He means ( and says ) he is happy for you to educate him.

donnygadgy
30-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I have done and wasted too much time on this shyte site,if anyone isn't aware JR explained to those that were online 7 years ago he brought TB and DW onto the board because he couldn't fund an attempt at getting to the Championship without them,therefore there would be no promotions,no JPT trophy...by the way i dont spend much time on here probably because of arseholes like yourself,i can give no better answer than for anyone to look at the post league table below and ask why they don't post on here anymore,some of who i know and have met,they,like me,are now members of the VSC,a shyte site like this isnt worth the time and i come here to tell visitors(supporters of other clubs that don't know any better,(hello Millers) that

SilverTop60
User is Online
TrialistNew member 8
Posted 04 May 2014 20:12Delete | Spam | Ban | Sin Bin Hour

SilverTop60
30-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi donnygadgy. Let me start by explaining that I got the SilverTop for my because I now have grey hair. And the 60 because I was 60 years old when I joined this form.

My grandfather was a professional footballer for West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers, and had Thorne Grammar School encouraged rugby instead of football I may have been player with Doncaster Rovers Youth Academy myself. Not that it is any good looking back now.

As I type this I am looking at the Official program for Rovers vs Barnsley Tue 11th Sept 1973 when I was on the Belle Vue terraces myself. We were 17th in the table and Barnsley were bottom with 1 point from 3 games. We beat Barnsley 1-0.
The next home game was Rovers vs Peterborough on Tue 2nd October which we won 3-1. Again I have the program at my side.

I remember all those years in the 4th Division and the depressing years in the Conference 1998-2003 after Ken Richardson's days of infamy. And the torment I took from friends and work colleag

SilverTop60
30-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Donnygadgy, why don't you just delete your link to this website instead of coming on here and insulting everyone and everything. So easy isn't it?
If you prefer the Viking website, then stay there. So easy isn't it?

madirishsupporter
30-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I have done and wasted too much time on this shyte site,if anyone isn't aware JR explained to those that were online 7 years ago he brought TB and DW onto the board because he couldn't fund an attempt at getting to the Championship without them,therefore there would be no promotions,no JPT trophy...by the way i dont spend much time on here probably because of arseholes like yourself,i can give no better answer than for anyone to look at the post league table below and ask why they don't post on here anymore,some of who i know and have met,they,like me,are now members of the VSC,a shyte site like this isnt worth the time and i come here to tell visitors(supporters of other clubs that don't know any better,(hello Millers) that

SilverTop60
User is Online
TrialistNew member 8
Posted 04 M

tazzydjr
09-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Be interesting to see who he brings in for the League 1 Season for Donny Rovers

SilverTop60
10-07-2014, 01:26 PM
The trick is to see who he plays in the friendlies against Bradford PA (9/7), Lincoln City (12/7), Grimsby Town (22/7), Sheffield Wed (27/7) and Rotherham (2/8).

He is looking at James Bailey (Derby), Peter Clarke (Huddersfield), Jon Otsemobor (MK Dons) and Elliot Kebbie (Hull) from other teams. Personally, I would like to see a real striker come in who can score for us. I see Theo Robinson did ok for us against Bradford last night so that's a start, but we need more, and Alex Peterson is still young. Losing our top scorer (Chris Brown) from last season is bad news and his replacement should be top priority. Sharp, Paynter and Cotterill have been our best in recent years but all have moved on leaving just Robinson.

Obviously, we have lost a lot of last year's players who think they are too good for League One even though last season proved they were not good enough for the Championship ! Hopefully, there new teams will just leave them on the bench all season as they will find team

SilverTop60
12-07-2014, 05:26 PM
I see the Dickov Magic worked it's usual wonders on the Lincoln game. A side that aspires to be in the Championship went down 2-0 at Lincoln, a Conference side. Yes, I do have a downer on him because he failed us last season and I don't see the coming season being any better with him at the helm. He cannot inspire players; just bring them in and sent them out on the day and then come up with excuses for their failure.

I know it's only a friendly, but isn't it a friendly for the Imps as well ? Beating a Conference side should be routine for a side with the ambitions of Rovers. Congrats to the Imps who will no doubt be elated at a win over a side with big ambitions. Dickov really has some magic to work to create a side anything like what is expected from a supposed Championship side.

SilverTop60
12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I suspect Dickov has a little black book full of excuses for poor performances.

Well, I didn't have to wait long for another choice from his book as he now says "We lacked energy" against Lincoln City. They should be a vastly inferior side (no disrespect intended to the Imps) who have just as much of a reason to lack energy. If the team are struggling to just play half a game each after training God help them when the real season starts.

Kick butt or take a hike yourself, Dickov.

donnygadgy
18-07-2014, 10:17 AM

SilverTop60
User is Online

donnygadgy
18-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi donnygadgy. Let me start by explaining it might be interesting to see what might happen if he joins up with John Ryan
Yes if only Ryan had 2 pennies to rub together,anyone fancy badmouthing Bramall & Watson?

SilverTop60
18-07-2014, 07:33 PM
I said in my thread "Life is Tough as a Donny Supporter" 4/8/2013 because of all the boardroom antics involving the Sequentia takeover. I was proved right, and the result of last year's fun-and-games was relegation from the Championship.

A year on and where are we? Another round of failed boardroom antics as Ryan and Tomlinson fail in their takeover having already delayed signings of contracts due to the proposed takeover.

Is this the start we really wanted with the first game 9th August and no players signed on 19th July (Dick Watson and Terry Bramhall did not want to be involved in any contracts prior to the takeover)?

As I have said before, Ryan and Tomlinson never had the cash to buy players after buying the controlling shares. Having failed to raise nearly £2million from the fans, they couldn't provide adequate financial stats to the FA. Things never did ring quite true to me with these two owning the club.

So yet again, for the second year in a row, we end up back at squar

Septus
18-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Just returned from long holiday hence delay in answering the comments by Donnygadgy I first went to the Rovers as I remember in 1958 at the age of 12, Bristol Rovers were the visitors, and have gone every season since. I have seen it all, would be interested to find out how long you have been going. Would suggest in future that you keep your postings to things that you feel you know something about, and not make conclusions about peoples support for Rovers based on their posts. You may find it generates proper discussion, which is what this site should be all about

SilverTop60
23-07-2014, 03:17 PM
We have missed out on James Bailey through all the boardroom delays. And now risk losing Wellens, Copps and Keegan to other teams. Lose any 2 of them and promotion failure is guaranteed. And somehow I don't see Paul Quinn giving his all now with his state of mind.

If we had kept more of last seasons first team players we could have done well in league one but we look like playing last year's subs and still no convincing striker. Theo's 5 or so goals for the club will hardly strike fear into any other team. He does not have the presence on the pitch of Billy Sharp.

I'll be the first to make a prediction for the end of this coming season, so next May I will be able to say "I told you so" - Barnsley will have done better than Doncaster, and Doncaster will not be promoted.

oscarhold
23-07-2014, 08:47 PM
What a shambles !
Ross Turnbull signs for Barnsley, Thus we lose the only decent goalkeeper in recent times - other than loanee Gary Woods.
Wellens on Radio Sheffield says that it is odds on that he, and maybe other senior players, will be leaving
Bramall and Watson in their statement appear to be saying that they would like to get back into the Championship but the aim is to do it with a mix of home grown youngsters and experienced pros to bring them along.
a. Where are the outstanding youngsters who will shine in League One.
and b.
What senior pros are we likely to have with the ability to nurture them.
What has happened to all the hype , not only from the Ryan/Tomlinson saga, but also the present owners. Remember - we will put funds in place which will give us every chance of a quick return to the Championship. Paul Dickov will have our full backing, etc.
How come, that Rotherham United with a 10,000 capacity stadium and crowds similar to Rovers have signed on at least eleven player

oscarhold
23-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Oops, not Gary Woods - what a freudian error-but last seasons excellent loanee from Manchester United currently getting some first team experience on Uniteds American tour.

lifelongrover
23-07-2014, 09:56 PM
After watching them for over nearly 60 years I thought I'd seen it all but my darling never cease to amaze me rovers till i die:s

gotodoc
23-07-2014, 10:27 PM
I can' tell you how glad I am to see Doncasters current demise. You have used Ryans money to climb the leagues and soon you will be back outside the football league, playing clubs like Hyde and Nantwich, where you belong.
I predicted last year that relegation would happen and once again I predict the same. Why am I so bitter about Doncaster? Because not very long ago you tried to sign most of our team ( and nearly did). But now the money has gone and you're in the ****. XD X-D
We all laughed when Dickov became your manager-nice bloke but clueless about football. It is so good to see Wellens, whom you once stole off us, rejecting you. Not a nice feeling is it? Anyway Dickov being asked to get you success through home grown talent is a joke. At Oldham he used to blank the young lads at our club so to suggest he can "bring your youth on" , forget it. YOU'RE GOING DOWN SO GET YOUR BETS ON. Yes, I'm an Oldham fan, and proud of it. :P :-P :p :-p We never had the money you once had but we sti

SilverTop60
30-07-2014, 10:40 AM
If anyone is in the vicinity of the Keepmoat can you please pop in to check on Dickov and co. They seem to have fallen asleep and might not wake up before the season starts. There's more activity watching paint dry than Rovers signings. I'm all for being prudent and frugal but employing someone else's leftovers at the last minute hardly creates a motivated team that wants to win, just a team that will step out on the pitch, run around a bit, and pocket a decent salary for the next year.

SilverTop60
31-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Hi gotodoc, it's always nice to hear from supporters of other teams who see things differently.

Bizarrely, I don't see we really have a current demise.

Had Ryan and Tomlinson managed to become owners they still didn't have any money to invest so I'm not sure we really are any worse off returning back to the pre-takeover situation. At least Terry Bramhall knows a whole lot more about owning and managing a football team than Tomlinson.

Having been relegated it is natural to lose players, so it is no surprise we have lost 7 or 8 players (if Richie Wellens goes as well). We have recruited 3 good players with Blackpool, Charlton and Middlesbrough heritage, but just need a few more. Overall, I would say we potentially have a sound squad that should put us in the top half and hopefully in the top 6.

Sheffield Utd are tipped for top, but they still have essentially the same team that failed last year promotion last year, and I think Donny will be stronger. Barnsley have shed 20 players

SilverTop60
04-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Dickov has said "we'll frighten defences". Sure enough Rotherham beat us 2-1.

Dickov has said "Youngsters must step up to the plate". Yep, it's cheaper than paying for proper players.

I see we have the new player numbers.

Richie Wellens has appreared to commit to Donny after his mardy spell and no-one took him.

I assume Paul Quinn has thrown another mardy session as well. Wikipedia shows him as a model citizen (not!) so no surprise there. He's a Scottish hot-head best not playing for Donny anyway. Shame really, because he does have some talent.

And Jonathan Maxted, Liam Wakefield, Jake McCormick and Eddie Wilding are somewhere out in the cold. So it doesn't bode all that well for academy players after all even though the future of the club is supposed to be based around them.

Pity we didn't sign goalies Ben Williams or Jamie Ashdown, but there's time yet and we can't just have Jed Steer on his own unless goalkeeping coach, Paul Gerrard, has plans to put on some kit.