PDA

View Full Version : Great effort

m4d_lichties
03-05-2014, 05:22 PM
We're gonna win the league, we're gonna win the league, and now you're gonna believe us...

Great effort from all at the club, gutted we're down but pleased that we gave it a right good go. 2 points in 11 games killed us. It took just too long to get the confidence back fully. You can point to last minute goal line clearances v Rangers, hitting the woodwork last seconds v Stenny and Airdrie, last minute misses v Rangers and any of the 1 point gains we could have had but all clubs can say that over a season. The bottom line is we went through a horrific run and didn't recover in time. Defending an obvious problem throughout the season along with keeper errors, struggling for goals during parts of the season and of course those pesky refs but we are where we are and over 36 games we are where we deserve to be. I am convinced, however, the management team will have learned a huge amount this season and that we will put together a very strong challenge with them at the helm for the title n

Arbroath1
03-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Could not manage game but looking at BBC Sport website we threw a lot at AIrdrie but could not get decisive goal either before they scored or even at end when it was a stick on after all our efforts they get a second at least we took it to the final minutes. Thanks for the efforts lads. Hopefully PS/SP have learnd from this season and we can hold on to the majority of the players come August. To me the season was shaped after first two games of the season 4-4 and beaten on pens against STENNY and 0-1 against Montrose and Bobby,s first home game misses pen to take it to extra time. Hopefully we can retain and sign players needed to win chapionship next season. Bring it on...

Be interested to hear who fellow Lichties would like to retain and or let go. This is mine...

1. ???????????????????
2. Ricky Little ?
3. HAMMY
4. NICHOLL (C)
5. TRAVIS
6. Keddie ?
7. LINN
8. ???????????????????
9. MCMANUS
10.COOK
11.SHEERIN

12.BANJO
13.DEUCHAR
14.???????
15.???????
16.???????
17.???????

A

steeplejack
04-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Can't think of any other time when Arbroath have been relegated that the team was given a standing ovation at the end.
Over all we haven't been good enough, we have been unable to grind out results, and clean sheets were rarer than a penguin in the Sahara.
The style of football is pleasing on the eye and while I would love that to continue its a results based business, if Sheerin can unearth another Lee Erwin and possibly get Steven Doris on a season long loan and a big centre half to play alongside Keddie then we won't be far away.

ClashCityRocker
04-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Over the past few months Paul Sheerin has rejuvenated the Arbroath team, with almost every player showing good team spirit , determination and a sense of togetherness.

New signings such as Nicoll and Linn have both made an outstanding contribution to the team - both of them have been great signings.

Yesterday in Airdrie we deserved a draw , but this has been the story of the season .

What really cost us relegation were some of the signings made earlier in the season - we signed a few players who were not the correct fit for the team and they failed to click.

We also need a "dogs of war " style of player to battle in defence.

If we can bring in a quality striker and defender we will be in very good shape for next season .

Yesterday I stood and clapped the players after the final whistle as they all gave 100% effort and commitment and they almost pulled it off.

If we can get good run in the cup competitions next season, along with league matches against Montrose, Clyde, Queens Pa

lichtiekev
04-05-2014, 12:46 PM
No complaints from me over last few weeks...pretty much 100% given over last few months...but the damage was done with that awful run we went on...hopefully east fife come down with us...they were poorest team in the league..unreal support showing again yesterday by huge traveling army...i never noticed myself but heard Chisholm was the only one who never come over at end and went down tunnell..if true it shows even more he shouldn't play for club again!!!

On another note I was told that arbroath lost out on hay from brechin to a highland league outfit...completely out matched our offer with stupid money

Bellevue
04-05-2014, 06:46 PM
No great surprise that we are relegated, the warning signs were there early in the season, defensive frailties not addressed and poor signings made.
It's been said that the players made a great effort, maybe a bit too late, but effort alone doesn't win games and it's a reasonable conclusion that the players were just not good enough to compete in League 1. 9 wins and 4 draws confirms that. Only 2 teams scored less goals than us but none lost more goals than us. Bad luck and not deserving to lose are excuses. I was always led to believe that you make your own luck and you usually get what you deserve.
I hope lessons have been learned from this season and we can go for promotion next season and anyway we will have Montrose to embarrass next season. Already looking forward to that. Is Montrose Rose likely to crop up again on these pages?

ectolichtie
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
NO, we do not need anyone to play alongside Keddie, he must go as well, he is a hopeless player, Little, Travis, Hammy, Linn, Nicoll, Cook, McManus, and some of the laddies, the rest can GTF

gruppenfuhrer
04-05-2014, 09:50 PM
we, deserved a draw, sick of reading and people saying this, we finished bottom coz we were the poorest team in the division, results and the table don't lie, rubbish defence made us bottom not bad luck.it's simple if you cant score many goals and concede lots of goals will get beat ! its not science, Arbroath are ****e.

Wilbo87
05-05-2014, 03:13 PM
In my opinion this is who i think should stay or go.

Morrison - Go but he has already signed a new deal.
Sandy Wood - Go, not good enough to replace Morrison
Ricky Little - Go, not done enough when playing to convince me.
Travis - Stay (Signed for next season), should be vice captain
Keddie - Go, makes too many mistakes and i have no confidence in him
Hamilton - Stay, although not his best season still a good player
Banjo - Stay, a versatile player but proven as a good right back
Lindsey - Undecided. Could stay and improve and play with more confidence in League 2
Yao - Stay, not enough opportunities this season and could prove leathal in league 2
Linn - Stay (Signed for next season) Oustanding player!
Nicoll - Stay (Signed for next season) Should be captain next season. He is a solid force in midfield
Sheerin - Stay and should continue to play next season. He is still a good player.
Chisholm - Go, Over played, over rated, not captain material, not a role model. Please release him!
Co

AFC1320
05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Great effort from the players on Saturday and we created a few good chances but it was not to be, there must have been over 500 Red Lichties fans who gave great vocal support and once again the officials were shocking, how on earth they never gave us a penalty in the 1st half was unbelievable, again Grant Adam was a rock in goal for Airdrie, there 1st goal was a shocker from the Gaffer who should have blasted the ball into row "Z" and the ref would have blew for half-time, also found it strange when we had to score that we took off the Doc (who causes problems in the air) for Banjo who is not a goal threat?? Great to see the players applaud the AFC fans at the end of the game.

maroonie
05-05-2014, 06:37 PM
[quote="Wilbo87"]In my opinion this is who i think should stay or go.

Morrison - Go but he has already signed a new deal.
Sandy Wood - Go, not good enough to replace Morrison
Ricky Little - Go, not done enough when playing to convince me.
Travis - Stay (Signed for next season), should be vice captain
Keddie - Go, makes too many mistakes and i have no confidence in him
Hamilton - Stay, although not his best season still a good player
Banjo - Stay, a versatile player but proven as a good right back
Lindsey - Undecided. Could stay and improve and play with more confidence in League 2
Yao - Stay, not enough opportunities this season and could prove leathal in league 2
Linn - Stay (Signed for next season) Oustanding player!
Nicoll - Stay (Signed for next season) Should be captain next season. He is a solid force in midfield
Sheerin - Stay and should continue to play next season. He is still a good player.
Chisholm - Go, Over played, over rated, not captain mater