PDA

View Full Version : TV choice

crashbang
06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
It won't be long before I get shot down, but wanted a Tele for best footy. Led's etc great
But googling, Plasma is the best for motion (no lag) and a 600hz refresh makes it even better.
There used to be a problem with screen burn (which has been overcome now.
So why are people going for led?
Just got a Samsung plasma, really quite good.
With a Sport mode option to boot.

I suppose Exeter will show me the error of my ways.

ExeterMiller
06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Nah - whatever you like the look of really. If you see one online, try & find a shop with one in so you can see it. I know a bright shop is a far cry from most living rooms but at least you can guestimate.

I've only ever had 1 Plasma, took it back after 5 days (a Samsung 40"). Beautiful device but the screen was just too dark for me. I went straight back to LED, colours much more vibrant - whites are actually white and not an off white greyish thing (which drove me insane)

Ludlowmiller
06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Crash.. Obviously bought for your missus to watch BGT, Corrie, Emmerdale Etc! and it is a very kind thought on your part.

The Play Offs & World Cup ...I bet you nearly forgot about them.

Well done mate. Samsung or Sony streets ahead of others.

crashbang
06-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Might have changed a bit now Exeter. The options are daft.see a definite difference with fast speeds, no blurr at all like my old led.
I don't mean old, I just upgraded it as said for our lass. ;D

RedAnt
06-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Panasonic usually win the plasma awards. I've got a Samsung D8000 which has served me well. In my opinion viewing shouldn't be done without a decent amplifier and good quality speakers though.

great_fire
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Plasmas use more electricity than LCD/ LED TVs plus manufacturers are moving away from them, Panasonic, the biggest manufacturer has stopped making them, plus they never really progressed technology-wise, the best ones were made by Pioneer years ago.

crashbang
06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
I know what you are saying. But a bit of leccy for a better motion pic is worth it, Iv'e had an led and know they are good , but the refresh ,motion aspect is much better on a plasma.
Some high end led's are getting there though but talking 4 figures.

cheets
06-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Panasonic have only stopped manufacturing plasmas as the technology in plasmas has maxed out and can't be improved anymore. Wins heads down everytime. If want the best tv, get a panasonic plasma while you can.

sota
06-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Panasonic have only stopped manufacturing plasmas as the technology in plasmas has maxed out and can't be improved anymore. Wins heads down everytime. If want the best tv, get a panasonic plasma while you can.

Spot on.

Brin
06-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I've had my 48'' Panasonic plasma for 5 years + now and the colours are as vibrant as the day I first turned it on...coupled this to a Pana top of the range sound system and it still throws out a great sound especially formula one, background noise (eg telephone rings) from a corner speaker etc, movie cross shots that pan across and sound follows through all the surround speakers...pure quality..

Pana 42'' plasma in the kitchen and same in Daughter's bedroom...in fact were pana mad...

Always had and probably always will stay with Panasonic tbh...sound and clarity second to none...

sota
06-05-2014, 02:55 PM
48"? What's that, a portable? ;-)

Brin
06-05-2014, 03:00 PM
[quote="sota"? What's that, a portable? ;-)[/quote]

I may have measured it wrong as I only used my knob 4 times and a bit and with carrying a foot I under measured it...:P

sota
06-05-2014, 03:05 PM
So it's only a 12" screen then? I hope you let it cool down first :-)

ExeterMiller
06-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I may have measured it wrong as I only used my knob 4 times and a bit and with carrying a foot I under measured it...:P

I tried the same method, unfortunately the meticulously measured rectangle in my chimney breast, there is such a large gap I'm dreading the day a seagull falls down there ;D

LRmiller
06-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Nah - whatever you like the look of really. If you see one online, try & find a shop with one in so you can see it. I know a bright shop is a far cry from most living rooms but at least you can guestimate.

I've only ever had 1 Plasma, took it back after 5 days (a Samsung 40"). Beautiful device but the screen was just too dark for me. I went straight back to LED, colours much more vibrant - whites are actually white and not an off white greyish thing (which drove me insane)
I have to agree with Exeter. I was after a new TV a few years ago; a couple of mags gave a Panny plasma a brilliant review but when I went to see one on display I was disappointed and left wondering "is it just me?". The picture was dull, lacking contrast and the whites were grey. Ended up buying a much better led Panny.

gramiller1959
06-05-2014, 03:58 PM

sota said inches not millimeters :P

RedAnt
06-05-2014, 04:18 PM

I have to agree with Exeter. I was after a new TV a few years ago; a couple of mags gave a Panny plasma a brilliant review but when I went to see one on display I was disappointed and left wondering "is it just me?". The picture was dull, lacking contrast and the whites were grey. Ended up buying a much better led Panny.[/quote]

Seeing one in a shop is a lot different to in your own home with the settings adj

LRmiller
06-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Need to save up for that new 65" curved screen 4k OLED from Samsung!

gramiller1959
06-05-2014, 04:39 PM
i looked at all options when i upgraded .. and happy as larry with the samsung led smart tv,

one question if anyone could answer .. is 5 on demand a pay channel ? while i can access bbc i player etc on freeview it wont let me access 5 on demand

crashbang
06-05-2014, 05:14 PM
You can now enjoy Demand 5 on the following platforms and devices free:

Android: Motorola Xoom, Nexus 5,7 and 10, Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets, Sony Xperia T,U and Z, Tesco Hudl (minimum operating system 3.2)
BT Vision / Cardinal
Freesat
iOS (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch)
Kindle Fire HDX 7" and 8.9"
LG TV
PS3
PS4
Roku / Now TV
Samsung Internet TV
Sky On Demand
Sony Bravia
Virgin Media