PDA

View Full Version : we're better...

redgreggie
09-05-2014, 10:30 AM
we're better, I'm better and thousands of us are...better than professional footballers, particularly the ones in the premier league, the lower you go in the leagues they aren't as bad...

what am I going on about (this time, I hear you mumble)

what I'm going on about is...playing the game of football...

like many of you I played, played every Saturday, just for local teams, we didn't get any pay, we paid to get to the ground and we paid subs, not much, but we paid, why, because we loved the camaraderie, the challenge and football itself.

yes, that's all taken as read, what I'm really saying is...like thousands like me I went into tackles, full blooded tackles, got some knocks, felt the knocks, but just rubbed my leg and carried on with the game.

I once went for a ball with my head, the onrushing opponent felt his best option was to go for the ball with his foot, his foot connected with my head, yes I felt it, I put my hand to my head and there was blood on it (blood wasn't such a

Rotherhamowl10
23-05-2014, 08:24 AM
How old did you play till Ray? We had a lad who played with our team until he reached 52 - and he put some 18 year old lads to shame with his fitness.

A long time ago I got paid to play on Saturday. It wasn't much, but to an 18 year old lad it would pay for my beer on a Saturday night - it made me envy the life of a professional footballer.

These days I do the odd bit of coaching and still play Sunday league. I didn't enjoy last season due to having a lot of trouble with my knee - snapped my cruciate ligament and did a load of other stuff about 3 years ago.

There's not as many teams around these days Ray. Where we used to play there were around eight pitches with teams on, now there's only one team playing up there due to the council pricing teams out.

I've not quite reached 30 yet, but I think the next season is probably my last - Mrs Rotherhamowl is getting fed up of me moaning about my knee all the time. I would still be involved in some way, whether it be as a spectator or help

redgreggie
23-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi Rotherhamowl...

played till I was around 40 in Bedford, both of my sons played for a team.

before I was in a team I was down the park with my sons, playing either football or cricket.

I was a heavy smoker in those days, rarely had a cig out of my mouth, goodness knows how I managed to run around so much.

when I moved back up north I only played in 5-a-side competitions at work, would have been playing those into my 50's, I was getting problems with shortage of breath back then, early signs of emphysema I guess.

the more I watch games on the television the more it galls me, and I just have to vent my spleen on here...

it's not that long ago that we'd be bad mouthing the foreigners for their antics, their play acting and what we'd class as cheating, now it's the norm, it's accepted, we even have to listen to well respected English (ex) players saying that it's right to go down in the box if there's any contact...

well, what's it come to...

ray...in Batley.

aussieowl
24-05-2014, 02:19 AM
Once you enter the professional world of football any romantic notions get knocked out of you I guess, you're taught to think like a pro footballer...it's a business at the end of the day.

As for how long we keep playing...I managed it till I was 55, my knee finally had the last word, I'd been arguing with it for at least 20 years, was going to pack it in for at least 20 years but my lad wouldn't let me do it...I'd say that's it, I've finished & he'd say nope, not happening...I'm glad he kept me going, we ended up playing a few seasons in the same team & even in a Grand Final.

Best thing about finishing was that I decided when...I knew & said THIS is my last game & I played it as such, even managed to score a goal..nice one as well..XD