PDA

View Full Version : Arbroath 2 - 5 Celtic

smokie_bacon_crisps
10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Arbroath bowed out of the Under 19 League Cup today at Gayfield to a young full time Celtic team who also broke Arbroath's 19 unbeaten streak.

Pat Martin who is only 16 opened the scoring in the first minute of the game before Comrie headed in from the corner in the 27th minute. Donnelly put Celtic in the lead in the 37th minute with a really beautiful goal but Arbroath who had a great first half scored a deserved equaliser in the 44th minute when Dayle Robertson fired in.

Arbroath kicked off the second half and won a series of corners but just couldn't find the 3rd goal instead it was Celtic who scored next with Lafferty firing past Wilson. Arbroath continued to dominate and McWalter almost levelled the game with a 30 yard lob yet their keeper pulled off a world class save, yet it was Celtic who broke again on the counter attack and Murray caught Wilson off his line with a 40 yard lob.

In the 75th minute Arbroath were denied a clear penalty kick with a blatant handball yet the re

smokie_bacon_crisps
10-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Photographs: See link below

Arbroath: Lenny Wilson, Josh Chalmers (Andy Hampton 45), Sam Burnett, Kyle Findlater, Ross Mitchell (Paul Weir 87), Kieran McWalter (c), Jamie Thomson, Chris Scott (Pat Smith 78), Dayle Robertson, Pat Martin, Scott Adams

Subs not used: Josh Gray

Booked: McWalter, Adams

Goals - Martin 1, Robertson 44 - view external link (www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/sets/72157644555495306/)

AFCNEIL
10-05-2014, 08:42 PM
thought the under 19s were outstanding today, I thoroughly enjoyed the match, it was never a 5-2 but a full time team will punish any errors and sadly in the second half they did, but take nothing away from the boys they were a credit to Arbroath, to me dayle Robertson and scot adams were outstanding but as a whole the team worked as a team and I for one want to see more under 19s games next season thank you for an enjoyable afternoon lads well done and hard luck

theweesausage
12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
I personally think that Sam Burnett had an excellent game and deserves a mention, he would not have looked out of place if he was playing for Celtic, looks good for the future

KarenF
12-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Totally agree, thought Sam had an excellent game.

Lichtielegend
12-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Wasn't much between the sides on the day but when you consider that it was apparently Celtic's u-17s - with 7 players missing for the Euro's - it shows that we're operating at a different level.

smokie_bacon_crisps
12-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Most of our team are only 16 and 17 too, with one or two at 18. When you think of the reach of players they have at their disposal and they are full time I think our lads shows they could easily compete given the opportunity.

AFC1320
12-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Totally agree s_b_c I heard that the Celtic U'17 players on Scotland duty were replaced with OLDER players from the Parkhead youth set-up, we matched them throughout the game, EVERY Red Lichtie player deserves credit and we had a clear-cut penalty not given, unlucky lads and I am sure we will see a few of you in the 1st team next season.

theweesausage
18-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Was there no video highlights of this game

smokie_bacon_crisps
18-05-2014, 09:45 PM
There was a guy from Celtic who was filming it in the gantry on the sea side, but that was the only person I seen with a video camera.