PDA

View Full Version : The Season in Context - some stats

Fargone
15-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Definitely a season to forget as confirmed by a few stats and the long term averages. Definitely time to move on - view external link (www.arbroath-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/the_season_in_context__some_stats_833043/index.shtml)

stan3600
15-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Will someone please convince PS we can't defend (as a team) like this and be successful.

Bellevue
16-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Not only can we not defend we cannot score either. Only East Fife and Airdrie scored fewer goals than us, but nobody lost more goals than us.
So while the management philosophy may be to play attacking football we don't create enough chances for our strikers. And some of the strikers signed didn't know how to score goals.
Hopefully next season will see big improvements in the goals for and against columns.

Nonsmokingsmokie
18-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Actually, I don't think goalscoring was the problem AT ALL this season, as the stats show.

For the bottom team to score over 50 (fairly similar to most others midtable except Rangers, Dunfermline and Ayr)is fairly impressive (its bang on our 20 year average)

We even scored 5 more than the previous season when we were just pipped for the promotion playoffs.

Grinding out results was the real problem - a draw here and there would have made a difference, but that was down mainly to leaky defence - view external link (EAM)

smokie_bacon_crisps
18-05-2014, 10:00 PM
I remember the season we finished bottom and the football was awful. Yes, this season wasn't a great one but there were a few good memories.

Both games at Ibrox were fantastic and to take the lead in both games will always be a fond memory for me. Erwin's goal against Brechin and some of Cookie's goals were stand outs.

Perhaps the biggest surprising stat was the average attendances for 18 home games.

Rangers - 42,657
Dunfermline - 3331
Ayr United - 1905
Airdrie - 1592
East Fife - 1249
Arbroath - 1054
Brechin - 900
Forfar - 865
Stranraer - 82
Stenhousemuir - 684 - view external link (http://skysports.stats.football365.com/dom/SCO/D2/attend.html)

timlichtie
19-05-2014, 07:51 AM
I remember the season we finished bottom and the football was awful. Yes, this season wasn't a great one but there were a few good memories.

Both games at Ibrox were fantastic and to take the lead in both games will always be a fond memory for me. Erwin's goal against Brechin and some of Cookie's goals were stand outs.

Perhaps the biggest surprising stat was the average attendances for 18 home games.

Rangers - 42,657
Dunfermline - 3331
Ayr United - 1905
Airdrie - 1592
East Fife - 1249
Arbroath - 1054
Brechin - 900
Forfar - 865
Stranraer - 82
Stenhousemuir - 684

I'm surprised that we were bettered by East Fife. Maybe the proximity to Dunfermline boosted their encounters.

Our crowds held up because we stuck to the attacking formula and most fans appreciate what PS is trying to achieve, IMO.

Bellevue
20-05-2014, 10:38 AM
My point about not scoring enough goals is that if a team is prepared to play attractive football but cannot defend well, to have even a modest chance of success, such as just avoiding relegation, they must score more goals than the opposition. That is something we only managed to do in 9 games and after all scoring goals is the whole object of the game. We didn't have a prolific goal scorer last season.
Whilst playing attractive attacking football but losing the majority of games may be acceptable to some it doesn't do much for the club as a whole. If we do not compete at, or near, the top of Div 2 next season attendances may well drop off resulting in less income for the club.