PDA

View Full Version : Would increasing Ipro capacity be justified?

SlimyLimey
18-05-2014, 04:51 PM
If we reach the "Promised Land" and obtain stability over a couple of seasons, would it be a good investment to increase the capacity of Ipro stadium? There are a number of teams in the Prem. with lower capacities than us, and TV rights seem to be more of an income source than bums on seats.

Rapid
18-05-2014, 05:41 PM
I think we'd need to be a very established side selling out every game with a team good enough to know you'll almost certainly not be relegated any time soon. Southampton would be a good example of where we'd need to be imo.

the problem with increasing the capacity is that it's crap when you don't fill it. the last 3 or 4 seasons where we've struggled to get much more than 26k have meant for a dull atmosphere whereas if the stadium held 25k and we were selling out it would probably have been rocking.

imagine increasing to 44k. getting relegated and literally only half filling it for games. that would be a disaster.

from a commercial point of view though if we wanted to push the club on we'd have to do it at some point.

Ramondo
18-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Personally, I can't really see it. Derby isn't that big, we have always had good core support so the base level is always good compared with many other clubs. But do we have enough to attract the floating fans who go when the team is doing well but find 'other' things to do when they're not?

I'm not sure we do. Would we sell out every game at the ipro in the prem? Maybe initially the take up will be good and certainly for the bigger teams you'd expect a large crowd. But if we were to stay in the prem for a couple of seasons (assuming we actually get there by the way) and the novelty wears off then is 33k not a decent level for us?

I doubt we'll ever break into the top 5 or get anywhere close, not in the foreseeable future anyway. So the best we can hope for us somewhere in the middle, not challenging for Europe and not likely to go down. It won't take more than a couple of seasons of that before the 'mid table mediocrity' views start to emerge.

I just think the bigger stadiums are

southernram22
18-05-2014, 07:38 PM
we have done this one before some time back I think the footings are in I think rapid is expert on this. and it could be done quickly but I agree lets get there stay there and re-evaluate later.

Fletch_11
18-05-2014, 08:01 PM
I reckon it would take something like the World Cup coming to England before it would be a serious consideration! ;D

SlimyLimey
18-05-2014, 08:08 PM
we have done this one before some time back I think the footings are in I think rapid is expert on this. and it could be done quickly but I agree lets get there stay there and re-evaluate later.
When the stadium was built, it was designed to accept a second tier & could be installed during closed season.

Rattea
19-05-2014, 05:32 AM
It was design to allow 10 more rows on the upper tier of the horse shoe raising the capacity to circa 40,000. The roof would be removed extended and replaced.

We won't need a larger ground unless challenging as ramondo says. Look at teams like Stoke, West Brom, Fulham etc once the complacency sets in then crowds drop slightly and don't grow.

There is always a lot of demand for things like play of games and especially finals but not that amount for breast and butter games.

A team who went to expand over their size and left with a mess are wolves!

chili756
19-05-2014, 05:54 AM
After our disastrous stint in the Prem last time round, the club clearly could see we would sell out most games there, and when asked previously, Glick said, should we get back into the Prem, and sustain our place, then it would seriously be considered adding the extra tier on. I think he said it would raise us to 44k ish.

Looking at the speed the tickets went for Wembley, and seeing that there a still a fair few who missed out. Plus, most Prem teams have more away supporters, we could easily surpass the 33k we sell on our bigger days.

Whether this becomes viable is another matter altogether.

hantsram
19-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Best thing we can do is get safe standing implemented. That would increase capacity around 5000 if we converted all the south stand.
No building costs required plus better atmosphere.

Rapid
19-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Best thing we can do is get safe standing implemented. That would increase capacity around 5000 if we converted all the south stand.
No building costs required plus better atmosphere.

hmmm that's interesting. I've read conflicting info on this topic. I'm sure I read somewhere that safe standing actually reduces capacity. those numbers don't sound right though. doesn't the south stand only hold about 5500? so you're saying that for every seat currently that space would be halved? sounds a bit tight to me.

Rattea
19-05-2014, 08:42 AM
No hes saying it would increase the capacity by 5,000 if you read it.

Safe standding equates to 1.8 people to each existing seat!

So 5500 x 1.8 = 9,900

An INCREASE od 4,400 (just under 5,000 quoted) ;) - view external link (http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/safe-standing-the-business-case)

Rapid
19-05-2014, 10:48 AM
No hes saying it would increase the capacity by 5,000 if you read it.

Safe standding equates to 1.8 people to each existing seat!

So 5500 x 1.8 = 9,900

An INCREASE od 4,400 (just under 5,000 quoted) ;)

I did read it rat. i estimated south stand capacity at 5500 so if there was an increase of 5000 seats that would almost half the space per seat, which was the original question I asked.

I wasn't making it as a statement but more of a question. happy to admit my sentiments were wrong. you should try it some time :-O

SlimyLimey
19-05-2014, 02:25 PM
When the BBG was made all seats, what was capacity before & after?

RamFromCornwall
19-05-2014, 02:32 PM
When the BBG was made all seats, what was capacity before & after?

Maximum capacity was about 42k but on closure it was 18k