View Full Version : The Rose and Trollope is

Zilzal
29-05-2014, 06:10 PM
not, as one might expect, a post about Shire's local pub (or Millavanilla's for that matter) but rather a plea for greater recognition for Rotherham's most famous female resident Rose Heseltine.

Rose was the daughter of a bank manager who operated on High Street and, at the age of 29, married the celebrated Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope in Rotherham Parish Church in 1844.

History has been kind to Tony (since the erection of the New York Stadium, Rotherham fathers' favourite for their soon-to-be born sons) yet terribly neglectful of Rose, especially when a major occasion arises such as last Sunday's.

Regretfully, the same olds of famous former residents get dragged up like gold dust from the gutter; the Chuckle Brothers, the bass player from Muse, David Seaman and so on.
Yet there is never a mention of Rose Trollope nee Heseltine, like Corner, a Heroine For Our Times.

"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel" - Anthony Trollope. This is a

scum_triumphant
29-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't she merely marry someone that was to become famous.

Just a Victorian WAG.

gramiller1959
29-05-2014, 06:35 PM
theres only one kate field ! theres only one kate field ! >:) >:-)

Zilzal
29-05-2014, 06:44 PM
On the contrary, Scum.

Trollope, as well as being an outrageously prolific writer, also worked for the G.P.O. for a great many years. His boss Rowland Hill invented the Penny Black in 1840. But not to be outdone Trollope went on to invent the iconic British bright red pillar box that we still have with us today.

Arguments rage over what was the source of his inspiration. Some say it was his love for his mother Fanny; others proclaim he got the idea after walking in on Rose just as she was stepping out of a scalding hot bath.

The latter theory is given further creedence if you listen to Side 2, Track 3 of the first album by The Slits. The cryptic tribute to Rose of Rotherham is there for all to hear.

scum_triumphant
29-05-2014, 06:57 PM
I don't own that album but ill look out for it.

So she was his Marie-ThAİrA¨se Walter (muse?)

I don't know much about him to be fair but you've intrigued me a little bit. Off work again so it'll give me something to do tomorrow.

After I've been to meadowhall for some new Gazelles.

Deepmidwinter
29-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Good point Zilzal. Lazy reporting results in Rotherham being credited only as the birthplace of the Chuckle Brothers, David Seaman and Howard Webb. Delve a little deeper and there are other gems to unearth. Rotherham was where the screw tap was invented, is the birth place of the inventor of the Bailey Bridge (which Winston Churchill argued was ***** to our beating the Germans), was the home to a Prime Minister (twice), two deputy Prime Ministers, one of the unsung heroes of the English Civil War in the Earl of Strafford, one of the grandest stately homes in Europe,is the home of Britain's Number 1 Nut etc etc.

I just wish that some Millers on this board would stop knocking their home town. If they don't respect it how can we expect anyone else to.

RANT OVER

villamiller
29-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Good point Zilzal. Lazy reporting results in Rotherham being credited only as the birthplace of the Chuckle Brothers, David Seaman and Howard Webb. Delve a little deeper and there are other gems to unearth. Rotherham was where the screw tap was invented, is the birth place of the inventor of the Bailey Bridge (which Winston Churchill argued was ***** to our beating the Germans), was the home to a Prime Minister (twice), two deputy Prime Ministers, one of the unsung heroes of the English Civil War in the Earl of Strafford, one of the grandest stately homes in Europe,is the home of Britain's Number 1 Nut etc etc.

I just wish that some Millers on this board would stop knocking their home town. If they don't respect it how can we expect anyone else to.

RANT OVER
Maggie lived in rotherham ...kinell..dint know that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
good post deepmid

Deepmidwinter
29-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Forgot to mention that we made most of the cannon on HMS Victory

scum_triumphant
29-05-2014, 08:01 PM
But what have the Romans ever done for us?

the_idiotb_stardson
29-05-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't expect many of the heathen to know this but Trollope's marriage certificate is in Rotherham Minster.

Just go in the doors and turn left. It's at the back in a glass case with some other info.

By the way, I only found out recently that JMW Turner did a sketch of Rotherham Minster.

At the top of the path leading into the church there is a small plaque with the sketch and other details about Turner on it.

I always wanted a copy and asked people at the Minster about obtaining one but apparently the Turner society are the gatekeepers for all his past work and there aren't any copies available.

I really would like to purchase one though so if anyone can help out I would be grateful

kempo
29-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Interesting and informative thread and an example of the sort of posting that made this MB unique and great.

Good contributions from others and I have certainly learnt sometihing from this.

I'm eagerly awaiting contributions from such as shire, smithy, geeter, and the usual brain dead lot.

Well done zilzal...great thread.

MagyarMiller
29-05-2014, 09:56 PM
By the way, I only found out recently that JMW Turner did a sketch of Rotherham Minster.

At the top of the path leading into the church there is a small plaque with the sketch and other details about Turner on it.

I always wanted a copy and asked people at the Minster about obtaining one but apparently the Turner society are the gatekeepers for all his past work and there aren't any copies available.

I really would like to purchase one though so if anyone can help out I would be grateful

Interesting stuff IBS, I've never noticed that plaque before. I'll definitely have to go and have a look for that, the
next time I'm in Rotherham.

By the way, if you do find any more info out about any available prints I'd be very interested as well.
I've long been an admirer of Turner and would love a print by him with relevance to my home town.

the_idiotb_stardson
29-05-2014, 10:03 PM
If you cut through the snicket at the top of high street as though you are going through to the Minster, the plaque is at the top of the path leading to the church. It's not a brass plaque attached to a wall but a information board on a type of stand.

Still it's fascinating to see...and I have not given up hope of obtaining a copy of the sketch.

the_idiotb_stardson
29-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Here is a link to the sketch.

It's not very clear but you can see that it's drawn from an angle to include the Chapel on the Bridge.

Edit: for some reason when I post the link in the space provided it doesn't work.

However if you copy and paste the link below it will take you to the picture.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/D/D01/D01003_10.jpg

Geetarman
29-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Here is a link to the sketch.

It's not very clear but you can see that it's drawn from an angle to include the Chapel on the Bridge.

Edit: for some reason when I post the link in the space provided it doesn't work.

However if you copy and paste the link below it will take you to the picture.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/D/D01/D01003_10.jpg

Despite the fact that I am "brain dead" according to some guy who life is so rich, yet so insecure, that he spends endless hours on a football message board espousing his own greatness, while feeling the need to attempt to constantly belittle others, you will find that this link works.

Oohh look, I can post a picture. Aren't I good.

http://i60.tinypic.com/eamy4g.jpg - view external link (www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/D/D01/D01003_10.jpg)

the_idiotb_stardson
29-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for putting that up Geetar...I wasn't having much luck with the link.

Geetarman
29-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks for putting that up Geetar...I wasn't having much luck with the link.

It was an https:// address, and Millersmad puts an http:// in front of it by default, meaning that a browser can't understand the address.

I'm still brain dead though.

To be fair though, the boards resident MCSE accredited IT professional, based in the south west, couldn't figure it out, so no shame in it.

MagyarMiller
29-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Come on boys, play nice ;D

Thanks for the info (and link :P ) Ibs

Plus, thanks to you Geetar for putting up the pic.

kempo
30-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Good work Geetar but why not just do it without having a go at someone?

Brin
30-05-2014, 08:10 PM

Because Geetar's not in their click...plus it's only banter chief lighten up...

Everyone needs to chill and not bite so often on here...

Altogether now... - view external link (http://youtu.be/UQoGSlrkgkI)

shiregreenmillers
30-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Because Geetar's not in their click...plus it's only banter chief lighten up...

Everyone needs to chill and not bite so often on here...

Altogether now...[/quote]Thank God You're back Brin XD XD

shiregreenmillers
30-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Interesting and informative thread and an example of the sort of posting that made this MB unique and great.

Good contributions from others and I have certainly learnt sometihing from this.

I'm eagerly awaiting contributions from such as shire, smithy, geeter, and the usual brain dead lot.

Well done zilzal...great thread.Your Pathetic Kempo ..And people think you're a doctor XD XD XD

kempo
30-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Well done zilzal...great thread.Your Pathetic Kempo ..And people think you're a doctor XD XD XD[/quote]

Nice post shire.

Any thoughts on Trollope?

shiregreenmillers
30-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Well done zilzal...great thread.Your Pathetic Kempo ..And people think you're a doctor XD XD XD[/quote]

Nice post shire.

Any thoughts on Trollope?[/quote]I Don't Like To comment about your wife ..:P :P

kempo
30-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Nice post shire.

Any thoughts on Trollope?[/quote]I Don't Like To comment about your wife ..:P :P[/quote]

Nice post from a nice intelligent man.

Deepmidwinter
30-05-2014, 09:20 PM
I don't understand how a thought provoking post can degenerate into calling

shiregreenmillers
30-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't understand how a thought provoking post can degenerate into callingNo One's calling Deepmidwinter :/ :/

Geetarman
30-05-2014, 09:39 PM

See post 11

"Interesting and informative thread and an example of the sort of posting that made this MB unique and great.

Well done zilzal...great thread. "

EXETER!!!!

Geetarman
30-05-2014, 10:03 PM
PS Kempo, I chucked this up a couple of years on free webspace (see link below). It took me maybe 6 hours, and it's very simple but functional. I am going to take it a stage further (now that I have loads of dedicated cloud server space) and develop it into a resource for anyone that is interested in Rotherham, now and then, but mainly featuring historical Rotherham. It will feature the ability to comment on each of the 1600 pictures (such as that is Whiston the the early 20th century) and also a forum.

I am doing this in my spare time, and it will be maybe another year before I finish developing the site on a localhost web server and launch it. It's a labour of love.

BTW the free webspace is very slow and quirky, because it's free.

Link below. - view external link (http://rotherhampics.net46.net)

Zilzal
31-05-2014, 01:33 AM
Geetar, don't take this the wrong way, but the spelling is wrong for 'copyright'. You've put 'copyrite'; rite as in rite of passage, conjugal rites and, on a musical note, "The Rite Of Spring" which Stravinsky wrote for Diaghilev's Ballets Russes.

(When it was first performed in Paris in 1913, the piece was so avant-garde and such a devastating break with everything that had gone before musically, that it caused an infamous riot in the audience.)

Igor, The Classical Punk Composer of his day. Though it still has quite a kick to it even in 2014.

Anyway good luck with your photographic venture. I only mention the spelling as it's on your frontispiece.

CTMilller
31-05-2014, 05:14 AM
PS Kempo, I chucked this up a couple of years on free webspace (see link below). It took me maybe 6 hours, and it's very simple but functional. I am going to take it a stage further (now that I have loads of dedicated cloud server space) and develop it into a resource for anyone that is interested in Rotherham, now and then, but mainly featuring historical Rotherham. It will feature the ability to comment on each of the 1600 pictures (such as that is Whiston the the early 20th century) and also a forum.

I am doing this in my spare time, and it will be maybe another year before I finish developing the site on a localhost web server and launch it. It's a labour of love.

Link below.

1/216 is almost certainly Oxford Street at the junction with Cambridge Street looking south. (The area north east of Clifton Park.) I recognized it almost immediately because my Aunty Re

millavanilla
31-05-2014, 08:57 AM
[quote="Zilzal"]not, as one might expect, a post about Shire's local pub (or Millavanilla's for that matter) but rather a plea for greater recognition for Rotherham's most famous female resident Rose Heseltine.

Rose was the daughter of a bank manager who operated on High Street and, at the age of 29, married the celebrated Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope in Rotherham Parish Church in 1844.

History has been kind to Tony (since the erection of the New York Stadium, Rotherham fathers' favourite for their soon-to-be born sons) yet terribly neglectful of Rose, especially when a major occasion arises such as last Sunday's.

Regretfully, the same olds of famous former residents get dragged up like gold dust from the gutter; the Chuckle Brothers, the bass player from Muse, David Seaman and so on.
Yet there is never a mention of Rose Trollope nee Heseltine, like Corner, a Heroine For Our Times.

"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an

samuel_vimes
31-05-2014, 10:19 AM
PS Kempo, I chucked this up a couple of years on free webspace (see link below).

Some great pics on there Geetarman, thanks for the link. I'm sure that everything is above board with your site but it seems that Trend Micro doesn't like it (image below). Could it be the free web space company that you are using?

http://i62.tinypic.com/2zzq3ki.png

Brin
31-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Link below.

1/216 is almost certainly Oxford Street at the junction with Cambridge Street looking south. (The area north east of Clifton Park.) I recog

Rothbiz
31-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Planning permission has been granted for a blue plaque on the RBS bank on the High Street regarding Rose Heseltine Trollope.

I'm not sure if it's up yet. The civic society had hoped to get Joanne Trollope to do the unveiling. - view external link (www.rotherhamcivicsociety.org/news.php?news=53)

jolly_roger
31-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't have thought there was a shortage of Trollopes in Rotherham to do the job.

scum_triumphant
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Fred Trueman raised in Maltby or William Hague raised on Wath are rarely mentioned either as being people to be proud of from Rotherham.
I know Trueman was born somewhere in West Yorkshire but he went to maltby comp and worked at maltby pit.