PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck

stateside
30-05-2014, 05:54 PM
After two seasons off I am going to take my pudgy self back to Atomic FC to try to win a third championship, albeit in a lower division now.

They have a bunch of new players and look fairly sharp.

MissWinnie
31-05-2014, 12:41 AM
Dad, I wouldn't have given you third and fourth helpings of Yubby's birthday cake if I'd known you were in training again. :D

Wishing you lots of good luck for next season (but I'm sure you won't need it). What position do you play?

yubbywelch
31-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Good luck Cakeside.

And ease off the competitiveness, we aren't 21 anymore

stateside
31-05-2014, 02:28 AM
My best position was keeper, but our keeper is better. I also smashed my wrist a while back in goal so gave it up.
I play where needed. I prefer not to play with my back to goal so defence is probably my stronger area.

Yubs you are right.

Training though? Was I supposed to train?

yubbywelch
31-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Training sorry mate, is really needed, not only for touch and team work. But...

It also helps our aging bodies.

NuclearDevice
31-05-2014, 07:18 PM
My best position was keeper, but our keeper is better. I also smashed my wrist a while back in goal so gave it up.
I play where needed. I prefer not to play with my back to goal so defence is probably my stronger area.

Yubs you are right.

Training though? Was I supposed to train?

There must be somethign in the water on the other side of the pond.

Had an e-mail just yesterday from a mate in Washington State, where the call of the local mexican league was too much for him after a season out. At the age of 50 he reckons he's got two more years before he can reach the magic 100 bookings in his short lifetime of footie stateside.
Think he's doing some coaching as well. He can't speak a word of Spanish, so lots of fun I guess.

dazzyo-villa
31-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Good luck matey, keep us updated as I used to enjoy your round ups before.. :D

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you all to wish me luck as I haven't played a proper game of football for 20 yrs and I'm playing in a work match soon, 9 aside but 45 mins each way :O

I'm excited but bloody nervous too ;)

stateside
01-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Good luck Dazzy give us an update as well.

Nuc the Latinos as we call them out here are fun but they never freakin pass. You don't need to speak the language you soon pick stuff up.

They are always yelling tiempo or autre.

I got my training in today Yubs. I installed carpet from 10 am until 9:20 pm and every muscle is screaming already. I only had a power bar (Atkins bars are tremendous. ) in that time and despite drinking a gallon of water it must have sweated out because I never had to use the bathroom in that time either.

I probably will get a kidney stone.

yubbywelch
01-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Cross training good thinking Statesie. ;D

Good luck Dazzy, take it easy mate, don't over do it.

bongosdad
01-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Before I moved to Swansea I was getting quite fit. I played 5 a side every Wednesday at aston power league under spaghetti junction.
On top of this I did 2 10-12 mile bike rides per week in Sutton Park.
Mixing cycling and football works a treat Stateside. All the best with it.

MissWinnie
02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Good luck matey, keep us updated as I used to enjoy your round ups before.. :D

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you all to wish me luck as I haven't played a proper game of football for 20 yrs and I'm playing in a work match soon, 9 aside but 45 mins each way :O

I'm excited but bloody nervous too ;)

Good luck Dazzy!

You are a striker if I remember correctly?

ozfan
03-06-2014, 11:18 AM
After two seasons off I am going to take my pudgy self back to Atomic FC to try to win a third championship, albeit in a lower division now.

They have a bunch of new players and look fairly sharp.

You're a gluten for punishment. Hope you've got a good Physio ;D Have fun mate.

Good luck to you as well, Mr Owen. Just the thought of running for ninety minutes is a good cardio workout for me.

stateside
05-06-2014, 03:59 PM
90 minutes? Balls to that. We play sixty and unlimited subbing.

Only six hours or so to go. Getting nervous. Think they'll let me stand still in midfield and spray passes a la Carlos Valderama, the Columbian with all the hair?

dazzyo-villa
05-06-2014, 07:28 PM
XD I'm getting nervous to Statsie, I got some boots and went to the park last sunday to get the feel of them, me and my lad had a kick around and I must admit even though it's been ages I felt sharp.. :D

Winnie your correct I am a striker, I'm playing up front with a much bigger lad and I will feed of his knock downs... well that's the plan XD

MissWinnie
06-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Sounds like a cunning plan, Mr Owen.:D

So, Dad, how did you get on last night? Did you hear me and Yubby cheering for you? :D

stateside
06-06-2014, 02:48 PM
I heard you Winnie. All I heard from Australia's direction was a shrill cry as if they'd lost another test series.

I didn't play very well, very quiet game and I tired easily.

We lost on a technicality. One of our outfield players made a bad decision that cost us.

We were down 2 players and had a player from another team play. We were losing 1-0 when one of our players took it on himself to ask another player to join the team. The rules state we forfeit a goal!

That player played about 30 seconds was less than useless when our final player arrived and switched out for the second borrowed player.

We lost 2-1 because we had a useless player for 30 insignificant seconds.

It's all good because we didn't deserve a point anyway.

We were missing two very good players and 1 more player is joining the team in 3 weeks or so.

yubbywelch
07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
XD I'm getting nervous to Statsie, I got some boots and went to the park last sunday to get the feel of them, me and my lad had a kick around and I must admit even though it's been ages I felt sharp.. :D

Winnie your correct I am a striker, I'm playing up front with a much bigger lad and I will feed of his knock downs... well that's the plan XD

Is Oz playing???? ;D

Next week Statesy

dazzyo-villa
07-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Well you've got that first one out the way pal.. Explain this technacility then mate? What did your player do..?

Well I'm proper nervous now XD

stateside
09-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Re-read it Daz, it explains it.

How did YOU get on?

MissWinnie
09-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I didn't play very well, very quiet game and I tired easily.

But you gave it your all, Dad, and I couldn't fault you (delivered in a Scottish accent). ;D

Seriously, a good effort after a couple of years of not playing. The only thing I can run is the bath! :blue: :) The skill is still there and the fitness will return as you get more games under your belt. Let us know how you get on.

Don't know when your match was/is Dazzy, but as Statesey said, keep us updated! :)

stateside
13-06-2014, 03:07 AM
Game two went a lot better. I had some good moves, ran a little better even had a shot. Defended mostly and we won 6-1

ozfan
13-06-2014, 03:58 AM
I've heard about your good moves. Perhaps if you'd spent more time down the back instead of taking pot shots they may not have scored. >;)

MissWinnie
13-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Oz started telling me all about your good moves, Dad, but I said there are some things a daughter shouldn't know ... :D

Anyway, don't listen to Mr Smarty Pants above me - really well done. 6-1 woo hoo!!! :D :star:

dazzyo-villa
13-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Re-read it Daz, it explains it.

How did YOU get on?

Oooppss XD I must have been tired or something ;)

What so he asked one of there players to join your team then? seems harsh that pal.

As for me? well what a night, I haven't put a pair of boots on and played 40mins each way for probably 20 yrs, it was on a 3/4 pitch and we had no linesman and the ref was part of the 500's,(that's the department we played)

There team which was made up of players who all play sunday league were all well organised..

I was playing as the loan striker and started poor to be honest, I was like a lost sheep XD I made a few runs but my touch was dreadful and I had one effort on goal which I tried curling it in to the top corner when I should really have passed..

After 25 mins I was dead on my feet, jeez I smoke, drink, eat what I want.. :O ;) I looked round to go off for a bit as we had 2 subs and were playing rolling subs, just my look as I l

MissWinnie
13-06-2014, 10:55 PM
A plus for essay, Dazzy! :)

And a gold star for your goal. :star:

Recommendation of Arnica gel for the aches. ;D

yubbywelch
14-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Maybe Lamberts next 2 signings??????

ozfan
16-06-2014, 12:18 PM
For??

Mascots?
Cheer squad?
Pie shop?

yubbywelch
17-06-2014, 08:32 AM
XD XD XD

stateside
20-06-2014, 04:17 PM
I love it Dazzy. You sound like a much better player than me.

Game 3 for us. Super hot at 9:30 pm and high humidity. I caught a bloody mosquito getting ready to feast on my neck.

We had our best player for the first time this season, but our second best lad went on the the opponents team because they were short handed and would have had no subs. We have two players that play on other sides in the league, normally they play for us first. Last week our goalie, had he chose the other team we would have lost 6-1 not won that well.

This time we won 6-2 after a goalless first half. Their second coming at time expired.

I didn't play that great and my foot was really hurting throughout this game.

ozfan
22-06-2014, 10:25 AM
T, I thought about you today while watching the football. Is the league you play just as physical? Slide tackles and argie bargie in the box etc?

MissWinnie
23-06-2014, 01:09 PM
A win is still a win, Dad. :star:

stateside
23-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Was happy with the win Win. :-)

Oz. no slide tackles. I used to love them too.

Everything else as far as tackles is okay.

You cannot play the ball when you are on the ground However you can slide for a ball if nobody is around. One time I slid to reach a cross and diverted it home. It was allowed because nobody was close to me.

ozfan
25-06-2014, 02:18 AM
They look good but gee the timing has to be perfect. I can see how legs can break and ligaments can rupture.

A slide on the ball sending it to the back of the net would be a pretty cool feeling.

I've just slid a few times. It's not graceful.

stateside
27-06-2014, 03:19 PM
I was just thinking about a goal I scored when I was 19, this morning.

Straight from kick off the ball went to the wing. This kid, last Stephens all I can recall crossed into the middle. I launched myself through the mud with the defender and diverted the ball home.

I ran over to my coaches to celebrate, the entire team was looking pristine in all white and I was head to foot in mud.

I played pretty useless the rest of the game, think we drew 1-1 and I was probably subbed.

yubbywelch
27-06-2014, 09:08 PM
That's great effort Statesie.

To remember 65 years ago, maybe you aren't that old. XD

stateside
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
So I missed last weeks game due to a stomach bug. I got to last nights game & ran into a work colleague watching the ongoing games. She said I hear Atomic is doing well. I said yes, I missed last week and they won 7-2 I read. She said that the score they put down. Heard it was worse than that.

I met my team-mates and apologized for missing the game. But you didn't need me I said. Chris says "last week? Oh that was awful. We went up 5-0 quickly and they stopped trying. But you only won 7-2. No it was more like 16-2. Hey Will, was it 16-2 last week?"

Will thinks then says no more than that. At least 22-2.

This was against a rival the old Atomic struggled with.

We played a new team this week. They had 2 really good players and a few new players that weren't good at all. The team actually took it easy winning 8-3. We gave up another last minute goal. This could come back to bit us in closer games.

Atomic have won 2 titles, but have never been this good. They will most likely pro

ozfan
05-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Going well did you get any game time?

stateside
06-07-2014, 04:07 PM
We pay, so I'd better get some. I got an assist.