PDA

View Full Version : The Squad So Far

Foxstreetfiveseven
01-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Time to take stock now that all existing players have indicated their intentions.
My personal opinion is that the changes so far have not been radical enough.I can only assume that any new signings will not just be providing competition for places but will be first choice and that players such as McSheffrey, Burton and Sparrow will only be back-up. Otherwise I fail to see how this top half finish challenging for the play-offs that the chairman talks about can possibly be achieved.
Three times since the early 70's we have just about been good enough to get out of the bottom division, in it's various guises, and three times we came straight back down again.
Whilst I have every faith in the chairman I certainly need to see some real quality coming through the door in the next few weeks before I would be confident of anything other than a bottom four finish.
Doom merchant? Not really, just a realist who has seen it all before, and let's not forget that years ago we weren't hampered by the

fletcher9
02-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I agree with much of that Foxstreetfiveseven. We certainly need a massive influx of quality if we want to keep out of danger in League One.
We did exceptionally well to achieve promotion through a mixture of grit and hard work despite failing to control so many games with our inability to keep possession. League One, as we know from experience, will not be so forgiving and if we don't start well the losing habit will return with a vengeance.
I doubt, given the number of players who have signed on again, that we will get six players of the necessary quality but any less than four and we could be in trouble. For starters we need an inventive central midfield player and then someone with real pace out wide to give Adelakun another season as an impact player until his overall game hopefully improves. Obviously we are still short up front and need someone with the necessary strength to keep retention of the ball and who would hopefully have decent ariel ability. Finally we require a lea

fletcher9
06-06-2014, 09:00 AM
So we hope to sign two on permanent deals in the next couple of weeks and then two on long term loans in August. The quality of the permanent deals will say everything about our ambition for next season.