PDA

View Full Version : Anyone holidaying locally?

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Anyone going their holidays here in Britain?

I'm heading down to largs first two weeks in July like I've done for the last 49 years.

Never saw the appeal of all this going abroad. Lot of money to spend for dodgy food, foreigners, and folk that can't speak the language.

billymorgan
03-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Is Largs not only about a half hour from linwood bob ?

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
No, more like forty minutes, Billy, if you have a car.

The train trip from Johnstone is about 40 minutes and then you've got to get through there, as well.

Where you heading for your hols, Billy?

bluek
03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Will be spending a few days in Arisaig in a couple of weeks and stayed in IInverness earlier this year, but my main holiday will be abroad. Love trying different foods and getting some sun.

AguyIknow
03-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Goin to London for a few days to my brother's place. Nothing else decided as yet

Anyone here been to Craig Tara btw?

Yazz
03-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Will be spending a few days in Arisaig in a couple of weeks ...

Cracking area, the Back of Keppoch. Lovely wee golf course on the old road to Mallaig, the silver sands of Morar, Britain's shortest river - The Morar, the Local Hero beach at Cammusadaroch and lovely food at the cnoc na faire hotel, (the one with the red telephone box in the car park).

Enjoy.

bluek
03-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Will be spending a few days in Arisaig in a couple of weeks ...

Cracking area, the Back of Keppoch. Lovely wee golf course on the old road to Mallaig, the silver sands of Morar, Britain's shortest river - The Morar, the Local Hero beach at Cammusadaroch and lovely food at the cnoc na faire hotel, (the one with the red telephone box in the car park).

Enjoy.[/quote]

Cheers

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
You usually spend the same amount of money holidaying in the UK, at least you're almost guaranteed sun if you go abroad.

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Goin to London for a few days to my brother's place. Nothing else decided as yet

No, but was there years ago when it was Butlins. It was brilliant back then. Stuff to do, cheap food and bevvy.

As for costing the same here and going abroad, I'd rather pump my hard earned money into the local economy than some foreigner's economy.

happytim
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM
im going to ibiza, then inverness.

are they local.

AguyIknow
03-06-2014, 04:28 PM
We tend to spend more on a holiday at home than we do abroad as it's very difficult to keep the weans entertained when it's p1ssin down with rain and so we end up paying for this activity or that, or worse go to some shopping mall. :blue:

Against that though there's the cost of getting to sunnier climes so it's 6 of one halfdozen the other.

I'm all for supporting the home economy but loyalty works both ways. If we're getting ripped off at home for booze and restaurants compared with costasummat then I feel under no obligation to finance that home economy.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Will be spending a few days in Arisaig in a couple of weeks and stayed in IInverness earlier this year, but my main holiday will be abroad. Love trying different foods and getting some sun.

My auld dear's up in Arisaig just now, says she has hit the jackpot with the weather.

Bennachie
03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

My auld dear's up in Arisaig just now, says she has hit the jackpot with the weather.[/quote]

What enticed her up there Danny, her pof contacts?

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 04:36 PM

My auld dear's up in Arisaig just now, says she has hit the jackpot with the weather.[/quote]

What enticed her up there Danny, her pof contacts?[/quote]

Nope. There's a squad of her and her pals go up every year.

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
03-06-2014, 04:42 PM

No, but was there years ago when it was Butlins. It was brilliant back then. Stuff to do, cheap food and bevvy.

As for costing the same here and going abroad, I'd rather pump my hard earned money into the local economy than some foreigner's economy.[/quote]

The thought of going on holiday in the UK kinda depresses me, City breaks to Edinburgh, London, Belfast etc aye but going to the likes of Butlins or Haven if there's still such a thing isna for me.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 04:44 PM
I used to love going to Oasis down in the Lake District when I was younger. It was the same idea as Centre Parks.

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
03-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I mind going to Scarborough a couple of times, went to Flamingo Land which was great.

revolutionaryred
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Gads to Butlins and the like, f*ck holidaying in this sh*tehole of a country. Luckily my family had enough disposable income to afford to go abroad, (Europe) each year.

Going to do the euro interrail hingmy with my mates and gf this year. Can't wait. B)

AguyIknow
03-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Foreign holiday every year? Revolutionary? What are you revolting against?

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Gads to Butlins and the like, f*ck holidaying in this sh*tehole of a country. Luckily my family had enough disposable income to afford to go abroad, (Europe) each year.

Going to do the euro interrail hingmy with my mates and gf this year. Can't wait. B)

Good luck with that, mate, but your going to places where you don't know them, mixing with allsorts of foreigners who don't speak the language, and eating dodgy food.

Wouldn't you rather give your money to local businesses than foreigners?

billymorgan
03-06-2014, 04:57 PM

The train trip from Johnstone is about 40 minutes and then you've got to get through there, as well.

Going to Croatia/ Montenegro Bob

cuervo
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
I've had some cracking long weekends on the west coast. Skye, Oban etc - glorious in the sunshine. Couldnae be ersed doing 2 weeks, though.

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Going to Croatia/ Montenegro Bob[/quote]

Oh yes, the Balkans. The sordid underbelly of Europe, Billy.

Have a brilliant trip, mate.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM

Have a brilliant trip, mate.

That's the spirit, Robert!

:D

billymorgan
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Going to Croatia/ Montenegro Bob[/quote]

Have a brilliant trip, mate.[/quote]

Sorry Bob,but if it is a choice between the sun drenched coast of the Adriatic or the ****in rain soaked blustery gales of the Clyde,then only one winner mate XD

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I understand completely, Billy. It's just for me there are more negatives than positives.

I think everyone should holiday at home once every few years. You live in a fantastic country. You're missing out if you don't take some serious time to enjoy it.

AguyIknow
03-06-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd give holidaying in Oban a miss tbh. Never liked the place

postmanpete
03-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Danny,Oasis is now called Whinfell Forest and owned by Centre Parcs.

happytim
03-06-2014, 05:24 PM
oban is pysh.

although its over 20 years since ive been.

so it might have changed.

been twice, one in winter, and one in summer, and every fekin night was a fekin scottish night in some overpriced hotel, and the pubs were pysh, it was freezing in winter and it pyshed down in the summer.

so didny go back.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Danny,Oasis is now called Whinfell Forest and owned by Centre Parcs.

I've not been down there in about 15 years, PP, I used to love it though. The Butterfly Centre was amazing.

AguyIknow
03-06-2014, 05:27 PM
That about sums up my experiences of Oban as well. You're not my missus by any chance are you happytim XD

bluek
03-06-2014, 06:00 PM

Are the migies (sp) oot?

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 06:02 PM
I'll ask her if she phones me later. They were driving to Mallaig the day, then having a BBQ later on.

521buc
03-06-2014, 06:07 PM
We try holiday in Scotland as much as possible..

Day trips etc coz the buc gets the over 55 19 quid tickets anywhere by train in Scotland.:O

My wife goes away on the odd week away walking the dogs we her mate..

This time up the mountains of stunning Perthshire in August nice eh..

The buc will be at home coffee shop touring boring any unsuspecting customers..:blue: coz I will be lonely..

bluek
03-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I'll ask her if she phones me later. They were driving to Mallaig the day, then having a BBQ later on.

First time visitor. Looking forward to it - as long as the migies gtf

coalburnsheep
03-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Anyone going their holidays here in Britain?

I'm heading down to largs first two weeks in July like I've done for the last 49 years.

Never saw the appeal of all this going abroad. Lot of money to spend for dodgy food, foreigners, and folk that can't speak the language.

flamingo land north yorkshire we have been going 20 years this year oor kids and i love it

CB_1874
03-06-2014, 06:56 PM
This is my weans first holiday abroad and they are 10 & 7. We've always went to Blackpool or Scarboro but as they get a wee bit older and their pals are going abroad they they want too as well. Holidaying in the UK is fine but it's a fact of life that the weather is phuckin' awful.

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 08:28 PM
This is my weans first holiday abroad and they are 10 & 7. We've always went to Blackpool or Scarboro but as they get a wee bit older and their pals are going abroad they they want too as well. Holidaying in the UK is fine but it's a fact of life that the weather is phuckin' awful.

This is true.

But on the plus side, you can always find some decent nosh that wasn't made from domestic pets, watch british telly, and be able to have a laugh with the guy sitting next to you because he can actually talk the language.

There's a lot to be said for all that.

Yazz
03-06-2014, 08:38 PM

First time visitor. Looking forward to it - as long as the migies gtf[/quote]

That was one of my patches when with Tourist Board. Want any info, just ask.

rumnpepp
03-06-2014, 08:45 PM

How much did this holiday set you back?

GMessi
03-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I mind going to Scarborough a couple of times, went to Flamingo Land which was great.

Used to go there as a youngster, loved the place.

Seemingly it's a shell of a town now though :blue:

happytim
03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
im great at finding cheap holidays online.

none of yer travel agent pysh for me.

WangOneIn
03-06-2014, 09:08 PM

You do seem to have a knack for it. :)

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Alright then.

Here's your challenge.

Find me the cheapest holiday you possibly can in Largs.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Bob has thrown down the gauntlet, Reve

B)

rumnpepp
03-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Alright then.

Here's your challenge.

Find me the cheapest holiday you possibly can in Largs.[/quote]

Largs? are you aff yer heed? You can go to the carribean all inclusive for little over a grand a fortnight nooadays.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Bob wants to go a local holiday with local people.

B)

rumnpepp
03-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Dinny go Bob place is foo of h&ns ;-D

happytim
03-06-2014, 09:28 PM
i,ll get back to you tomorrow bob.

i,ll google cheapholidaysinlargs.com and see what pops up.

how many people are going, adults, kids, infants etc.

what accomodation are you seeking and how long you going for.

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 09:34 PM
It's two weeks.

four adults and two children (12 and 9).

looking for self catering.

Let's see if you can do better than the deal I currently have in hand, happytim.

happytim
03-06-2014, 09:36 PM
no problem.

ofcourse i charge commission but thats another story.

just call me thomas cook.

bob_in_linwood
03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Don't just book it...

It's the two weeks at the start of July. Fair fortnight, as it were.

DannyBhoy
03-06-2014, 09:39 PM
I can sense something special happening here.

B)

happytim
03-06-2014, 09:56 PM
found stuff on trip adviser for largs.

4 bedrooms sleeping a total of 6 for ?636 for first fortnight in july.

also tried travelstay and it gave me a link to a site which had a heading, bob and drew. is that you by any chance.

chalky-ncfc
03-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Ive never been to Scotland,where would be the best seaside resort to visit out of interest?...

Archiebaird
03-06-2014, 10:44 PM
I can sense something special happening here.

B)

Very exciting stuff indeed.

"Will Bob go to Largs?" is the question on everyone's lips.

521buc
04-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Ive never been to Scotland,where would be the best seaside resort to visit out of interest?...

Here ye go chalky..

If you are ever coming up even the Shetland and Orkney Islands are fantastic golden areas for bird watching..

Or have a look at the linky.. There's loads to do for everyone be it single person or a young family for sure. - view external link (http://www.croft103.com/activities/)

CB_1874
04-06-2014, 06:18 AM

If you're looking for something inland then the Drumchapel and Easterhouse areas are stunning at this time of year.

rumnpepp
04-06-2014, 06:27 AM
I stayed in a hotel in Granton on spey for 3 months called the Grant arms hotel. It was actually very nice food was spectacular but the hotel described on it's website it's activities as including bird watching and jigsaws :blue:

Poguemahone
04-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Don't just book it...

Bob is a throw back to the 70's going on holiday in the Glesga Fair Fortnight to Largs...maybe even a day trip to Rothesay & Millport involved??

A trip 'doon the watter' in the pyshing rain brings back memories.

Post yer pics at the crocodile rock and The Pencil and make sure you get a 'pokey hat' in Nardinis.

coalburnsheep
04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Don't just book it...

the fair is later this year (glasgow anyway) fair friday is the 18th bob

Mook1
04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I've had some great holidays in Scotland when I was younger & we couldn't afford to go abroad.

Having said that, the weather is generally awful & given the choice, I'd rather see a bit more of the World.

WangOneIn
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I've had some great holidays in Scotland when I was younger & we couldn't afford to go abroad.

Having said that, the weather is generally awful & given the choice, I'd rather see a bit more of the World.

Well said Fatty.

Mook1
04-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Well said Fatty.[/quote]

Nae bother, Whitney.

WangOneIn
04-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Well said Fatty.[/quote]

Nae bother, Whitney.[/quote]

:D

bob_in_linwood
04-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Cheers, Happytim.

Not a bad deal. But, If got a place that sleeps six for 600 quid for the fortnight.

If you could throw in a couple of fish suppers for the weans, or cover our train fare, I might be willing to swing your way?

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
04-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Cheers, Happytim.

Not a bad deal. But, If got a place that sleeps six for 600 quid for the fortnight.

If you could throw in a couple of fish suppers for the weans, or cover our train fare, I might be willing to swing your way?

Sounds like the holiday will be a hoot, I might try Arbroath for two weeks instead of getting some sun abroad.