PDA

View Full Version : D Day Landings...then & now

aussieowl
07-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Awesome photo's - view external link (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/06/d-day-landing-sites-pictures_n_5458026.html?utm_hp_ref=tw)

JZ66
09-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Good pictures, helps me put into perspective what these Men achieved.
Some of the first had stories I heard during the TV coverage last week certainly got me to think again.
Brave Men beyond believe. Deserve total respect and their place in history and remembrance.

aussieowl
13-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Even more amazing when you think a lot of them were only 18 or 19 years old...true heroes.

redgreggie
14-06-2014, 09:26 AM
yes, heroes every one of them...though there is one section that doesn't get the recognition it deserves and that's the Merchant seamen.

these guys manned the ships, the majority of which were totally unarmed, manned the ships that brought the food, the armaments that the country couldn't have survived without.

they also kept Russia supplied with essential goods that they needed to fight the Nazis on their front.

I believe that only recently did the government issue the Merchant Navy seamen, that served during the war, with a medal.

just watch the old film footage and watch the oil tankers being blown sky high by the submarines, as frightening as anything else.

ray...in Batley.

I wasn't in there until the 60's...and big waves were scary enough for me!