PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Restaurants in Dundee

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I can remember my mother taking me after school on a Friday afternoon in the early 1960's to meet my father in Kidd's restaurant in Reform Street. He was a teacher at Fairmuir School and the school day used to finish at 3.15pm.
Some of the male staff at Fairmiur including my father used to go to the downstairs restaurant in Kidd's which was known as the "Smoking Room" for a cup of tea or coffee on a Friday after work.
The restaurant was welld as I can remember it being thick with smoke.
My wife was telling me about Nicoll & Smibert's restaurant which was situated in the High Street between Crichton St. and Whitehall St.
One of the restaurants in Nicoll & Smibert's which had a large carpet in the centre covering a dance floor.
Once the restaurant closed at 6pm the carpet was rolled up and this restaurant was used for dances in the evening.
My wife can remember her mother and father who both worked in NCR (Cash) going to dances in Nicoll & Smibert's.
Eventually people started to tr

GeeTeeDee
07-06-2014, 05:24 PM
The chinese across from the wellgate (upstarirs) and the old underground?
Triad involement?

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 05:40 PM
GeeTeeDee.
It was rumoured that the Triads from Glasgow killed Willie Wong who was the owner of the Hong Kong (Underground) at that time.

gedee
07-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Hello islay...it's amazing how far back memories can take you.

I wis no much mair than a wee bairn (1940's) when my mother's auldest sister took me doon to see my mother, who had just got a job as a waitress in "Draffens" ( the stuck im my head, even as a pre-scool bairn, because, I thought that was a "funny" !! )

I'd never seen anyhing so posh in my life...and at that time the waitresses were all in fancy white uniforms with wee white
hats.

I think I felt the wee dandy, but I am no sure I looked the part.

As an aside...my mother was brought up in an auld tenement hoose, that consisted o' TWO ROOMS (134 Blackness Road...3 stairs up...end of plaitie)

No two bedrooms...just two rooms !!

That in itself is no so amazing... until you consider. There was 14 people in that hoose !!
Her dad and mum and eleven brothers and sisters.

The oldest sister, never married, and spent all her long life there.

She was a second mum to me. I spent days and weeks in that hoose. Very basic

shaded
07-06-2014, 07:51 PM
1st one i remember being in was cafe val dor? in the city sq

thegen65
07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Mind o being in the auld A1 sure it was at the tap o Commercial Street.

Twa sassiges on a roll DSC.

andersong
07-06-2014, 08:12 PM
The Kowlooon in St Andrews St down the side of the Gaumont. was that not the first Chinese in Dundee? A few doors along was a cafAŠ with a great juke box.

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I can also remember queuing up on the stairs waiting to get a table.
My one abiding memory is being in the Cafe Val Dor when I was about 10 years old with my granny from Perth.
It was so busy that we had to share a table with a courting couple.
When I was finished my main course I finished off the remains of my granny's main course and then asked the courting couple if I could eat the food that they had left on their plates.
Waste not want not!!

shaded
07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
dougie the grubber ;-) lol

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi gedee.
I can remember also Draffens which had 2 restaurants one of which was silver service and the other one had ordinary service.
I think that you must have been in the silver service restaurant.
McEwans in St John Street Perth used to have a silver service restaurant.
My brother was in Dundee a couple of years ago for our father's birthday and he insisted that we go to Perth for coffee and cakes in McEwans restaurant.
The staff were still wearing the old fashioned black uniforms but nowadays they look a bit dated.

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi Shaded.
My granny was mortified!

shaded
07-06-2014, 08:48 PM
arrf can imagine,lucky yi never got a hot lug

ps what was the chinky eatery up the stair fae millets?

hillbankdee
07-06-2014, 09:01 PM
I remember my dad telling me that him and my mum and her brother and his wife going for a meal in the Hong Kong owned by Willie Wong. Said they had a good meal and ordered
4 coffees to finish. Unfortunately the sugar in the dispensor had been replaced by salt by someone.My uncle put some in his coffee and wasn`t happy. They called Willie Wong over who whispered in my uncles ear to "Fuxk off" and get out.

gedee
07-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi Shaded.
My granny was mortified!

I'm surprised ye never ate hur as well !! (joke)

andersong
07-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Picture of inside of Hong Kong;
http://retrodundee.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/hong-kong-restaurant-seagate.html - view external link (retrodundee.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/hong-kong-restaurant-seagate.html)

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Hi shaded.
I was telling my wife about your Cafe Val Dor memories and she can remember the cake trolley with gateaux and fresh cream cakes in the Val Dor.
The waitresses came to your table and she used to have her eye on a certain piece of gateau as it went round other tables and she hoped that no one else would take the one she fancied.
This was a rare Saturday treat.
Nowadays the PC mob would tell you that cream cakes are no good for you.

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 09:24 PM
andersong.
Can you put your copy and paste regarding the Hong Kong in the link box to allow everyone to click on to it.
Thanks

shaded
07-06-2014, 09:27 PM
done it

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 11:15 PM
My wife is currently racking her brains trying to remember the of the chinky above Millets.
It was originally the Continental Ballroom.

islaydarkblue
07-06-2014, 11:25 PM
The chinky above Millets was The Oriental Garden. - view external link (http://retrodundee.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/oriental-garden-cowgate.html)

dundee_til_i_die
08-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Antonio's on Roseangle was a brilliant restaurant about 10 years ago.

Used to go there a lot for a few Nastro Azzuro's and some Italian food.

Deeranged
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM
My wife is currently racking her brains trying to remember the of the chinky above Millets.

That word is in very poor taste and is insulting to Chinese people.

Just saying like.

Arabkebab
09-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Pete's Cafe on the corner of the cleppie had braw comfy benches like the Derry

Joe_Covenant
09-06-2014, 11:25 AM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

(That'll seperate the men from the boys!)

XD XD XD

Deeranged
09-06-2014, 11:31 AM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

XD XD XD

Top of Peter Street.

I think it was the best burger place in Dundee at the time but also sure the owner had an (ahem) accident and it unfortunately experienced a fire that closed it down. Just before McDonald's came to Dundee as well.

gedee
09-06-2014, 11:33 AM

That word is in very poor taste and is insulting to Chinese people.

Just saying like.[/quote]

Totally agree...The word was used twice by Islay in two posts...just cannae believe it was a casual slip of the tongue.

( On the basis of above Islay, I would like to ask you the following questions, if you feel like answering them... )

Would you use the term "paki shop" and believe it was not an offensive term ?

And if you had direct dealings on a personal level with your bank customers...how would you address them, if they were Asia, African etc ?

( I am not trying to "get at you"...I just cannae believe you would use that term )

notso
09-06-2014, 11:40 AM
First Chinese in Dundee was called the bamboo or the bamboo shoot.. Top of reform st .. Never lasted long as the Hong Kong the Kowloon and the or oriental garden got more and more popular .. Rumour at the time was loads of Chinese waiters and family kipped upstairs in the oriental garden

Joe_Covenant
09-06-2014, 11:42 AM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

XD XD XD

Top of Peter Street.

I think it was the best burger place in Dundee at the time but also sure the owner had an (ahem) accident and it unfortunately experienced a fire that closed it down. Just before McDonald's came to Dundee as well.[/quote]

Yep!!!

Wimpy was on Reform Street but that was never a *fast-food* joint. Brumby Jumbos was Dundee's first foray into that world...

And yeah... strange that EVERYONE knows it was 'an accident'... ;D ;D

fanofdee
09-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Mind going to the Chinese in Turnberry Ave,next door to Dora's for a sitty dooner in the mid seventies.Anybody mind it's?.

thegen65
09-06-2014, 12:16 PM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

XD XD XD

Top of Peter Street.

I think it was the best burger place in Dundee at the time but also sure the owner had an (ahem) accident and it unfortunately experienced a fire that closed it down. Just before McDonald's came to Dundee as well.[/quote]

Yep!!!

Wimpy was on Reform Street but that was never a *fast-food* joint. Brumby Jumbos was Dundee's first foray into that world...

And yeah... strange that EVERYONE knows it was 'an accident'... ;D ;D[/quote]

I am sure BRUMBY JUMBOS was in the nethergate/ High Street, around where Nandos is now,i thought they moved into the ground floor of the old Nicoll and Smiberts building?

Wimpy was in Reform Steet orginally, then closed and moved to the Murrygate a good few years later just along from Peter Street about where th

Deeranged
09-06-2014, 12:53 PM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

XD XD XD

Top of Peter Street.

Yep!!!

I am sure BRUMBY JUMBOS was in the nethergate/ High Street, around where Nandos is now,i thought they moved into the ground floor of the old Nicoll and Smiberts building?

Wimpy was in Reform Steet orginally, then closed and moved to the Murrygate a good few years lat

52N4E
09-06-2014, 01:54 PM
I remember being taken by my boss to a small Chinese up Stobie way late 70's early 80's that did set menu lunches. Cannae remember it's, anyone know ?

notso
09-06-2014, 01:58 PM
The Highland star

mydadwasadee
09-06-2014, 02:02 PM
We will soon be on to Mr Beaujangles, the Timex, Hugh Farquhar's and the Barracuda/Coconut Grove...depending on your age...

Seem to remember it being pretty exotic when the Pizza Gallery opened up. Could well have been a pizza only joint before that but not sure?

Trying to remember the early Indian's as well. Dinnae say Chief Sitting Bull...!! I was thinking the wee Gulistan in Gray Street in the Ferry must have been one of Dundee's earlier ones??

I thought Nicoll and Smiberts was on the corner of the city square where the Clydesdale Bank is now???

A family member used to run the show in there.

My dad was a business acquaintance of the afoermentioned Mr Wong for a very short time before he met a sudden end... my old man also suspected a score had been settled by some fellow countrymen!

Good that these nostalgic posts come out when it is the close season.

My favourite one is still recounting your first outdoor shag though...!!! ;D

Joe_Covenant
09-06-2014, 03:01 PM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

XD XD XD

Top of Peter Street.

Yep!!!

Wimpy was in Reform Steet orginally, then closed

gedee
09-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Hello mydadwasadee,

From your post..."Good that these nostalgic posts come out when it is the close season."

"My favourite one is still recounting your first outdoor shag though...!!!"

The last bit might be a lively theme to pursue on the forum

But maybe NO (or maybe more so, in the hoose) if husbands/wives/pertners, are inclined to have a wee nosey to see what youe posting aboot.

Especially if you told them..."Of course, you were the first darling. I was saving myself (and keeping myself pure), until I met someone SPECIAL like you"

( I wonder how many posters on here, "saved" theirselves for that special person ? )

The former bit o' your quote aboot nostalgia filling in the space left on the forum during the quiet fitba news time in close season...

I am no sure if you are serious, or if many posters agree with you...

But I've decided to start a new topic on "auld picture hooses".

Which could easily fit in with your last quoted subject... but I'm thinking of the more innocen

52N4E
09-06-2014, 06:52 PM
The Highland star

That's the one !

Quite a review. :blue: - view external link (retrodundee.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=Highland+star)

shaded
09-06-2014, 07:25 PM
brumbo j's was 100% in the nethergait where pizza place used to be, just aroond the corner from crighton st

used to frequent the place on a friday nite wi the mates

Deeranged
09-06-2014, 07:32 PM
brumbo j's was 100% in the nethergait where pizza place used to be, just aroond the corner from crighton st

used to frequent the place on a friday nite wi the mates

My memory's not what it used to be then :blue:

petermackie
09-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Mind going to the Chinese in Turnberry Ave,next door to Dora's for a sitty dooner in the mid seventies.Anybody mind it's?.

Sure the sitty dooner in ardler was an Indian

fanofdee
09-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Sure the sitty dooner in ardler was an Indian[/quote]Was definitely a Chinese mate.Mind going there aboot 1976 for the 1st time when I was a bairn and had roast spring chicken!!.It was next door to the chippy and just around the corner fae the auld Polis station.

petermackie
09-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Sure the sitty dooner in ardler was an Indian[/quote]Was definitely a Chinese mate.Mind going there aboot 1976 for the 1st time when I was a bairn and had roast spring chicken!!.It was next door to the chippy and just around the corner fae the auld Polis station.[/quote]

1976 would be a bit before when i'm thinking,it was an Indian in the early 80s,remember it having wallpaper that was like a carpet

fanofdee
09-06-2014, 08:05 PM

Sure the sitty dooner in ardler was an Indian[/quote]Was definitely a Chinese mate.Mind going there aboot 1976 for the 1st time when I was a bairn and had roast spring chicken!!.It was next door to the chippy and just around the corner fae the auld Polis station.[/quote]

1976 would be a bit before when i'm thinking,it was an Indian in the early 80s,remember it having wallpaper that was like a carpet[/quote]Just found out it was called The Golden Pearl.There was an Indian there very late 80's/90's called Yogi's,was a takeaway though I think.

Sketch
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Eh mind my first sitty dooner on a date was the Ganges on Lochee High St ...thought i was Archie! :D

Stefano4459
25-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Sorry Islay, the chinky above Millets was called the Rice Bowl. My dad sold it in 1972 to the Tsangs who renamed it the Oriental Garden. It was a big ballroom when we moved in, in 1965. Used to go the Gaumont on Saturday mornings. First chinky was the Hong Kong followed the Kowloon in the Wellgate. We were next.

deecom
25-09-2018, 06:45 PM
One of the first Indians was the Lahore on the Perth road, just up from York house.
You got your curry in huge soup bowls ! And that would be around 1967.

deecom
25-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Sorry Islay, the chinky above Millets was called the Rice Bowl. My dad sold it in 1972 to the Tsangs who renamed it the Oriental Garden. It was a big ballroom when we moved in, in 1965. Used to go the Gaumont on Saturday mornings. First chinky was the Hong Kong followed the Kowloon in the Wellgate. We were next.
I'm sure the first Chinese
Was the bamboo in reform st, would be about 1965.
I would have eight pints of mcewans export ,a sweet and sour pork in the Bamboo, then a taxi hame for under 30 Bob.!!

num1adi
25-09-2018, 08:41 PM
I'm sure the first Chinese
Was the bamboo in reform st, would be about 1965.
I would have eight pints of mcewans export ,a sweet and sour pork in the Bamboo, then a taxi hame for under 30 Bob.!!
Your spot on first chinky in Dundee was definitely the bamboo 🍛

BCram
28-09-2018, 12:24 PM
BRUMBY JUMBOS!

(That'll separate the men from the boys!)

XD XD XD
Delighted to see you back, Joe! Just fixed the spelling for you - old habits never die! I'm afraid I don't remember Brumby Jumbos but the forte's cafe opposite the train station had some packet based tomato soup that I used to like. The current Stobswell Forte's cafe has the same stuff, and the best scrambled egg rolls in town. IMO of course.

shaded
28-09-2018, 01:33 PM
B J's doon the stairs (oops wrang thread) lol. nah i mind o it it was opposite the auld littlewoods,doon the stairs