PDA

View Full Version : Alan Irvine

aussieowl
14-06-2014, 08:54 PM
WTF have the Baggies gone & done, all I can assume is that EVERYONE else has a job...for their sakes I hope AI has leaned a lot since us.

hirstyboywonder
15-06-2014, 12:57 AM
WTF have the Baggies gone & done, all I can assume is that EVERYONE else has a job...for their sakes I hope AI has leaned a lot since us.

Didn't know about this until a mate said to me this evening, 'you'll never guess who has got the West Brom, job, he's got Wednesday connections.'

I went for Jones, knowing he had been linked with the job recently, and then Megson. I wouldn't have guessed Irvine at all. I know he has done a good job with Everton's academy but with no experience at Premier League level it's a big surprise.
That said he has got plenty of badges that he can point to!

SallyKate
15-06-2014, 01:15 AM
I never liked Irvine as a manager (although I did as a person - he's a pretty approachable intelligent and a genuine caring guy ) and I recall the away game at Orient (the day Jimmy Saville died, we lost 3 - 0 and I told everyone Jimmy Saville's offending behaviour would soon be revealed - but no one believed me - Braggy can back me up) when everyone lost any faith we had in him.

From the start I disliked his approach -negative - to apprehensive - cautious beyond belief -and I just wished we'd never appointed him - I had the same felling about David Pleat - call it feminine intuition. Maybe he's learned since to score you have to attack. Or maybe not.

However I wish him the best of luck with WBA. I lived in Castle Bromwich for a long period of my life (no pun intended - Katch it was my intellectual formative years whilst at Brum Uni) and I found The Baggies fans to be wonderful supporters and genuine people in every way. (Again no pun intended or a reflection on my social ha

Katchouro
15-06-2014, 01:31 AM
It does seem like a Bizarro world appointment. Can't understand why theY sacked Clarke, appointed Pepe (Mel not Le Pew) and tried to appoint the strange Tim Sherwood only failing to negociate the pay he wanted for his pal Les Ferdinand.

Mere mortals like us though don't understand the god like insight football chairman and execs have on these matters though. Remember what everyone's favourite dude from the Cross had to say about 'progressive' Al.

"He is a high calibre manager, respected throughout football, who has proven he can make a team competitive at this level, and we feel very fortunate to have secured his services. When the manager's position became vacant at Sheffield Wednesday we did not expect him to be available because of the commitment he had to his previous club.

"Alan did a very good job at Preston last season and West Brom were prepared to pay a substantial fee for his services in the summer. The fact that he turned down a club with one of the biggest budget

baggieal
15-06-2014, 08:47 AM
[quote="SallyKate"]I never liked Irvine as a manager (although I did as a person - he's a pretty approachable intelligent and a genuine caring guy ) and I recall the away game at Orient (the day Jimmy Saville died, we lost 3 - 0 and I told everyone Jimmy Saville's offending behaviour would soon be revealed - but no one believed me - Braggy can back me up) when everyone lost any faith we had in him.

From the start I disliked his approach -negative - to apprehensive - cautious beyond belief -and I just wished we'd never appointed him - I had the same felling about David Pleat - call it feminine intuition. Maybe he's learned since to score you have to attack. Or maybe not.

However I wish him the best of luck with WBA. I lived in Castle Bromwich for a long period of my life (no pun intended - Katch it was my intellectual formative years whilst at Brum Uni) and I found The Baggies fans to be wonderful supporters and genuine people in every way. (Again

braggyowl
16-06-2014, 11:23 AM
[quote="Katchouro"]It does seem like a Bizarro world appointment. Can't understand why theY sacked Clarke, appointed Pepe (Mel not Le Pew) and tried to appoint the strange Tim Sherwood only failing to negociate the pay he wanted for his pal Les Ferdinand.

Mere mortals like us though don't understand the god like insight football chairman and execs have on these matters though. Remember what everyone's favourite dude from the Cross had to say about 'progressive' Al.

"He is a high calibre manager, respected throughout football, who has proven he can make a team competitive at this level, and we feel very fortunate to have secured his services. When the manager's position became vacant at Sheffield Wednesday we did not expect him to be available because of the commitment he had to his previous club.

"Alan did a very good job at Preston last season and West Brom were prepared to pay a substantial fee for his services in the summer. The fact that he tu

braggyowl
16-06-2014, 11:31 AM
hahaha you even remember what he said word for word...Or you've done a bit of research...

Either way it's seems rather obsessive to me.

Katchouro
16-06-2014, 11:48 AM
FFS Katch any tiny thing to have a go at Wednesday yet again.

At least I didn't slag off Wednesday legend Chris Brunt.

The Baggie did that.

I miss Lee Straford and his comedy stylings. Can't the Azerbaijani Masiv give him a position? Something befitting his ability, like being Autie-New-He's fan mail opener.

cazzaswfc
16-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Got a textfrom my brother about this (I'm not in the uK at the moment)

I though he was joking...

Poor WBA, I have a soft spot for them, god help them.

I guess those coaching badges do pay off.

braggyowl
17-06-2014, 12:23 AM
FFS Katch any tiny thing to have a go at Wednesday yet again.

At least I didn't slag off Wednesday legend Chris Brunt.

The Baggie did that.

OBSESSED...Simple as.

I miss Lee Straford and his comedy stylings. Can't the Azerbaijani Masiv give him a position? Something befitting his ability, like being Autie-New-He's fan mail opener.[/quote]

braggyowl
17-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Word for word...Bet you daren't say all this to Lees face eh Katch...Nar, thought not.

Katchouro
17-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Word for word...Bet you daren't say all this to Lees face eh Katch...Nar, thought not.

Oh I'm sure he's heard worse. He's not too popular on Owlstalk by all accounts, getting the same treatment as Nigel Pearson. ie vile abuse and threats of violence.

If you'd actually read the quote it was there to show that WBA have been interested in Irvine for years now and Peace has obviously head hunted him. Quite why we'll have to see.

In truth I hope he does well. Always seemed a decent bloke and was unlucky to be at Wednesday at such a toxic time. His negative tactics might suit a struggling Premiership outfit - just not a team dubbed by it's fans as 'HMS P!SS THE LEAGUE'.