PDA

View Full Version : England at the World Cup

Rotherhamowl10
16-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am loving the World Cup at the minute. I opted to stay in Saturday night and watch the match through sober eyes.

I have to say I was impressed with the way England attacked; totally different style of play from previous tournaments. The no fear attitude from the younger players is a joy to watch...it's a shame some of the older heads didn't turn up.

Gerard and Henderson couldn't handle the Italian midfield. I think that's where we lost it, although we were very suspect down the left hand side - Baines had a shocker. Sterling was tremendous. I hope Roy throws a few more youngsters in on Thursday.

Rooney received a lot of deserved criticism. I understand he was playing out of position, but he had the ability to perform much better than he did. As daft as it sounds, I don't think England can accommodate him like his club do. If Roy doesn't believe he is the best option to play behind the striker, then he shouldn't be sacrificing others on the l

aussieowl
16-06-2014, 08:44 PM
[quote="Rotherhamowl10"]I don't know about the rest of you, but I am loving the World Cup at the minute. I opted to stay in Saturday night and watch the match through sober eyes.

I have to say I was impressed with the way England attacked; totally different style of play from previous tournaments. The no fear attitude from the younger players is a joy to watch...it's a shame some of the older heads didn't turn up.

Gerard and Henderson couldn't handle the Italian midfield. I think that's where we lost it, although we were very suspect down the left hand side - Baines had a shocker. Sterling was tremendous. I hope Roy throws a few more youngsters in on Thursday.

Rooney received a lot of deserved criticism. I understand he was playing out of position, but he had the ability to perform much better than he did. As daft as it sounds, I don't think England can accommodate him like his club do. If Roy doesn't believe he is the best option to play behind the strik

sexypistol
17-06-2014, 07:36 PM
[quote="Rotherhamowl10"]I don't know about the rest of you, but I am loving the World Cup at the minute. I opted to stay in Saturday night and watch the match through sober eyes.

Gerard and Henderson couldn't handle the Italian midfield. I think that's

where we lost it, although we were very suspect down the left hand side - Baines had a shocker. Sterling was tremendous. I hope Roy throws a few more youngsters in on Thursday.

Rooney received a lot of deserved criticism. I understand he was playing out of position, but he had the ability to perform much better than he did.
As daft as it sounds, I don't think England can accommodate him like his club do. If Roy doesn't believe he is the best option to play behind the
s

Rotherhamowl10
20-06-2014, 10:31 AM
What were peoples reactions to last nights defeat?

I was disappointed with the tactics and team selection,I expected us to drop the deep midfield tactic of Henderson and Gerrard and replace one of them with a more attacking option - someone like Barkley.

The performance wasn't bad, we caused problems going forward. We were let down by our defending again - Glen Johnson and Jagielka aren't up to standard for me. However, I do recognise that central defence is not a position we are blessed with.

Rooney offered much more than he did against the Italians, you could see the pressure on him to deliver a performance though.

It's still not over. I don't think anyone would write off Italy beating Costa Rica and Uruguay.

micklyons1hardbstd
20-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Do what you've always done...you'll get what you've always got...The England set up is a joke...Up the MASSIVE!

aussieowl
20-06-2014, 11:34 PM

I was disappointed with the tactics and team selection,I expected us to drop the deep midfield tactic of Henderson and Gerrard and replace one of them with a more attacking option - someone like Barkley.

The performance wasn't bad, we caused problems going forward. We were let down by our defending again - Glen Johnson and Jagielka aren't up to standard for me. However, I do recognise that central defence is not a position we are blessed with.

Rooney offered much more than he did against the Italians, you could see the pressure on him to deliver a performance though.

It's still not over. I don't think anyone would write off Italy beating Costa Rica and Uruguay.

Mate I agree with what you say about Johnson & Jags, Baines as well for me but the problem is they are the best we've got...sad innit.

I remember when England had a never ending list of defenders to choose from,

hirstyboywonder
20-06-2014, 11:37 PM

It is now!

Mick is right below. Same old same old, we wait until the game is slipping away before we go for creative players and show intent.

The vast majority of teams in this World Cup have gone out to attack

hirstyboywonder
20-06-2014, 11:39 PM
[quote="***ypistol"]I don't know about the rest of you, but I am loving the World Cup at the minute. I opted to stay in Saturday night and watch the match through sober eyes.

Gerard and Henderson couldn't handle the Italian midfield. I think that's

where we lost it, although we were very suspect down the left hand side - Baines had a shocker. Sterling was tremendous. I hope Roy throws a few more youngsters in on Thursday.

Rooney received a lot of deserved criticism. I understand he was playing out of position, but he had the ability to perform much better than he did.
As daft as it sounds, I don't think England can accommodate him like his club do. If Roy doesn't bel

hirstyboywonder
20-06-2014, 11:43 PM

Mate I agree with what you say about Johnson & Jags, Baines as well for me but the problem is they are the best we've got...sad innit.

I remember when England had a

Katchouro
21-06-2014, 11:10 AM
We didn't look like a Roy Hodgson team. You know, overly cautious, unwilling to commit players to attack, looking towards speedy counters. We were more Keeganesque huff and puff.

This was one in the eye for all those 'play at the same pace as the Premiership' ... we did and we were skewered with Latin precision. It wasn't pretty but more of the same as Euro 2012, Ukraine away, was needed with our limited players - it was all about the result and not artistic interpretation or apta stats. I'd have settled for watching a dull England side in the knockouts instead of no side at all.

We haven't been abjectly terrible and I'd go as far as to say we were deserving of at least a draw from both games. Big nations sometimes have stinkers, us, Spain, Italy, France, Holland - even the Germans, who stunk the place out in 2000. Our group is the only one to have three previous world champions, the others have only one ... and it's not just us going out, one from either South American cham

SallyKate
21-06-2014, 01:31 PM
It was poor - very poor at times - and against Uruguay as predictable as Coleen's suitcases coming home before being unpacked. (Me thinks she took too many wigs for Wayne)

The Italy game gave us a brief glimpse of raised hopes,and I (like most)found an uplifting sense of optimism even in defeat. However, this was later put in to perspective when it turned out 'our quite good performance'was against a side that looked so inept and clueless against Costa Rica.(A side previously thought by many to be a coffee chain - not the one who refuses to pay their taxes)

To be honest I didn't expect much from this tournament from England. I hoped and wanted them to win for sure - willed with all my heart and voice until it was ho**** - but like most I saw it as a step towards a better future.

Strangely - although I doubt we will ever be truly world beaters again (unless we play the World Cup at home) I feel we have a better future awaiting. Why? I'm an optimistic- even when my glass is