PDA

View Full Version : O/T Tour De France

Lasterman
27-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Anyone excited about the TDF coming to South Yorkshire? According to Radio Sheffield, while west and north Yorkshire are embracing it, there's apathy in south Yorks. I cycle, but can see a couple of reasons why we're not that interested:

1. It's not that exciting is it? No matter where you are, two minutes and they'll have all gone past.

2. It's going through the crappiest parts of Sheffield. North Yorkshire is sending it through the dales. South Yorkshire is sending it up Wincobank.

Perfect opportunity to embarrass your county on a world stage.

crashbang
27-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Anything to do with france is bollix.
Smuggle Apples in , with the Granny Smiths.
Trawl everything up in the sea.
Boycott our meat.
then ask us to play by the rules.
Bell ends the lot of them.

vespabri
28-06-2014, 05:25 AM
Boycott our meat.
Bell ends the lot of them. Did you meet FrogMiller Crash?? Thought not...BELLEND...XD XD XD XD

Yes i know Froggies actually English but he"s embraced thecountry and i"m sure he"s got loads of genuine friends that are french.

sawmiller
28-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Perfect opportunity to embarrass your county on a world stage.[/quote]

Widely circulate post No. 2 and you can do that without going near any bike

Take it French football is no good either? That's why they are still in Brazil and ours are...err...

HotshotBobbyW
28-06-2014, 04:06 PM
France is ballix
The Tour de France is ballix
And closing or restricting the roads we pay our road tax for is ballix

All in all a load of ballix.

loyalmiller
28-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Apparently the road tax doesn't pay for the roads. Council tax pays for the roads, which cyclist also pay.

Road tax is a pollution tax which is why bigger cars pay more than smaller cars.

It's a common mistake Bobby, but you being a driver trainer I thought you'd have known...

sawmiller
28-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Apparently the road tax doesn't pay for the roads. Council tax pays for the roads, which cyclist also pay.

Road tax is a pollution tax which is why bigger cars pay more than smaller cars.

It's a common mistake Bobby, but you being a driver trainer I thought you'd have known...

Think it's called Vehicle Excise Duty - a tax on vehicles and their emissions

millmoorlane
28-06-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't think Wincobank will be embarrassing anyone apart from maybe an under-prepared rider or two.

Jenkin Road, after 200km, will be an interesting challenge. 800m with an average gradient of about 20% and bits of it greater than 30%. Tour De France riders have got off and walked in the past with those sorts of gradients (typically, Alpine ascents are only 7-8% but they go on for 10-20 miles rather than half a mile, different gearing and skills required).

The thing with the South Yorkshire bits is that it's mostly a drop down off the moors into a city finish. Lots of those types of sections are pretty boring until you get towards the sprint finish (which will start from the top of Jenkin Road I imagine).

The chase into the City Centre will be pretty impressive I'd have thought.

Personally, I'll be going up Woodhead somewhere. Think I'm going to steer clear of Holme Moss as the crowds will be ridiculous. Hoping to find an uphill section where you might get a chance to see them

loyalmiller
28-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Think it's called Vehicle Excise Duty - a tax on vehicles and their emissions[/quote]

Same difference,saw just a posher way of saying it.

millmoorlane
28-06-2014, 04:47 PM
And closing or restricting the roads we pay our road tax for is ballix

You pay Road Tax? You should ask for a refund. Churchill abolished it in the 1930s.

Roads are paid for out of general taxation and have been since before the second World War.

Closing some of them for a few hours for a few million quid of economic benefit doesn't sound a bad idea to me (not to mention that the TdF rules mean that the councils have had to pull their fingers out and actually fill in some of the potholes on the route sections...shame they couldn't do elsewhere too).

jolly_roger
28-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I continue to be amazed as to how gullible people are to these hyped events, how we are brainwashed into accepting that "we need it"

Like the Olympics, good for Britain, no it wasn't it was good for London

Wimbledon, blanket BBC coverage but when was the last time you saw somebody swing a racquet up here?

Ditto London marathon, blanket coverage of blokes in duck costumes running around...yes, well, London.

Tour De France, will of course bring money to Yorkshire...no it wont it will bring pockets of cash to small areas of North Yorkshire but the council tax payers of all areas will be paying for it. Pound for pound paying more than the benefits.

I hope the Tour De France goes down like a lead balloon, then maybe we can see an end to the waste of money on what are just "jollies" for a selected few.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
28-06-2014, 05:30 PM
One good thing from it they're relaying roads that need relaying (like near enough all of them do) that wouldn't have been done more than likely.

jolly_roger
28-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Why did they resurface them?

Isn't that admitting they are dangerous?

walter10
28-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Stage 2 doesnt finish in the city centre. It finishes on attercliffe road outside the arena. The stage does not set up for a classic group sprint finish. There are too many hills. The sprinters cant stay with the climbers or make it up jenkin road. It is more likely to be a break away. I think a break can stay out because the run in is tight, jenkin road is tough and no time to re group after the last climb.

Stage 1 will be a group sprint because it is flat. Look out for Cav.

walter10
28-06-2014, 05:47 PM
In fact i doubt the sprinter will contest stage 2 as they have big days on stage 1 and 3.

retsac
28-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I hope they've got the water sorted out when it does hit Sheffield

loyalmiller
28-06-2014, 05:50 PM
So, Walter for us in-play betters you're saying back on of the riders who breaks away from the peloton?

walter10
28-06-2014, 05:57 PM
So, Walter for us in-play betters you're saying back on of the riders who breaks away from the peloton?

But difficult to pick a winner from the break. You need to look at the break from about 60km out. If peter sagan is in the break get your money on him.

sawmiller
28-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Stage 2 doesnt finish in the city centre. It finishes on attercliffe road outside the arena. The stage does not set up for a classic group sprint finish. There are too many hills. The sprinters cant stay with the climbers or make it up jenkin road. It is more likely to be a break away. I think a break can stay out because the run in is tight, jenkin road is tough and no time to re group after the last climb.

Would love to see Cav win Stage 1, but he'll have very tough German opposition with Kittel and that monster Greipel

walter10
29-06-2014, 06:51 AM

Would love to see Cav win Stage 1, but he'll have very tough German opposition with Kittel and that monster Greipel[/quote]

Yes deffo sawmill. Although Cav is back together with Renshaw as his lead out man. Quick Step dont have a General Classification contender so will be riding for sprint stage wins. Hopefully they will get him to better positions than last year with Sky (who were riding for froome and left ca

millertop
29-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Unless you go for the entertainment ( whoever puts a tent up selling beer) how can you enjoy it, let's all cheer and wave our flags for a few minutes B)

millmoorlane
29-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Cav wasn't with Sky last year. It was when they were riding for Wiggins that he suffered.

He didn't have Renshaw with him last year though which is massive. Think Kittel is different class at the minute so tough to call. Cav will definitely want to win on home soil.

walter10
29-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Cav wasn't with Sky last year. It was when they were riding for Wiggins that he suffered.

He didn't have Renshaw with him last year though which is massive. Think Kittel is different class at the minute so tough to call. Cav will definitely want to win on home soil.

Yes you re right. He was with quick step last year. It was the year Wiggins won they left him on his own (which was why he left). Although i remember Wiggins leading out the Cav sprint train on the Champs Elysees (un heard of for the yellow jersey).

one_a_day
29-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Rumour has it that Wiggo is joining Quick Step to be their Grand Tour rider. Would be great to see him back in the TDF next year.

I think I'm going down to the Midhopestones to High Bradfield section to watch it.

millmoorlane
29-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Wiggins was on about going back on the track for Rio. Don't see how he'd be able to be a genuine GC contender and get back to any kind of serious track shape at the same time.

He lost something like 10kg of muscle when he seriously went for the Tour. I'd imagine he needs to decide this year what he wants to do for Rio.

In reality, he won't beat Froome in the tour (injuries and stuff aside). He's probably got the legs to become our best Olympian ever though if he focuses on that.

walter10
29-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I doubt Wiggins can win another Tour because he's not a serious climber (which is why Sky go with Froome). Tours are usually won in the mountains. Except 2012 which was perfect for him because it was set up to be won on time trials (with no serious mountain stages - you saw froome blow him away on a few climbs then get called back on the team radio which caused the row between them).

So Wiggins has to decide whether he goes back to the track or work in a team for another GC contender (which i dont think he will fancy) or ride just to win tt stages.

millmoorlane
29-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Yeah, you couldn't really see Wiggins taking enough time out of Froome to compensate for the mountains in the Time Trial sections.

People like Quintana would also destroy Wiggins on the massive mountains.

If he'd been in it last year, there's no way he'd have kept anywhere close to Froome up Ventoux.

Best case, you'd think Wiggins is a Super-Domestique type rider but I'd argue Porte or someone like that is probably better now as an all-rounder.

You'd think he knows that though and will focus on building whatever he needs to for the track (and the World Champs is in Feb next year I think so you'd imagine he'd want to get some kind of benchmark at that if he could to see where he's at).

walter10
29-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Agree with you mml. Wiggins is no Hincapie and not a good enough climber to 'minder' a good climber up a mountain.

Quintana is a future GC rider but not riding the tour this year. He won the Giro a few weeks back but Movistar are lining him up to win their (home) Tour of Spain a couple of weeks after the tour finishes.

walter10
29-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Btw Quick Step have got their own young GC contender (a young polish rider but cant spell his). Hes riding this years tour for experience.

vespabri
29-06-2014, 04:16 PM
SLIGHTLY off topic, i"m considering getting a road bike for my 15 mile round trip to work through the cycle to work scheme.
The bike i like the look of at the moment is the Fuji 2.3 Sportif from Evans cycles.
Is there anyone on here that recommend another one??
Fancy doing some weekend cycling touring aswell as commuting..so i can include a long distance cycle ride with London Marathon next yr if i"m successful in my application.

millmoorlane
29-06-2014, 04:34 PM
If you're thinking touring and pannier racks etc then consider a cyclo cross bike. They're a tiny but heavier but more robust and deal with potholes etc better.

I've got a Jamis Nova Race and it's excellent. The Genesis range are superb though if you can afford it. Or something like a Surly Cross Check

The only downside really to a cross bike is a bit of extra weight but I'm already carrying that.

Planet X Bikes are local and have some ridiculous deals on. Their own brand (Planet X and On One) are superb.

frogmiller
29-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Boycott our meat.
Bell ends the lot of them. Did you meet FrogMiller Crash?? Thought not...BELLEND...XD XD XD XD

Yes i know Froggies actually English but he"s embraced thecountry and i"m sure he"s got loads of genuine friends that are french.[/quote]

Hey up Bri!
Crash and I have met a few times. He has good reason to feel as he does XD.

frogmiller
29-06-2014, 06:48 PM
[quote="vespabri"m considering getting a road bike for my 15 mile round trip to work through the cycle to work scheme.
The bike i like the look of at the moment is the Fuji 2.3 Sportif from Evans cycles.
Fancy doing some weekend cycling touring aswell as commuting..so i can include a long distance cycle ride with London Marathon next yr if i"m successful in my application.[/quote]

They'll not let thee do t'marathon ont bike nutter

Brin
29-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Never seen Prince of wales Road looking so good...nice if you live up there...for the road usage I mean ...

Shame they couldn't route the tour round all the roads of Rotherham and get those tarmac'd for free...

riccallmiller
29-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Vesberbri, theres hardly a bad racing bike out there these days but don't get owt from Halfords Giant Defy is a solid bike with either 105 or ultegra groupset. comfy bike which is stiff enough to race on.

Wiggins will transfer to Oraca greenedge. Bet on it!

jolly_roger
29-06-2014, 07:42 PM
[quote="vespabri"m considering getting a road bike for my 15 mile round trip to work through the cycle to work scheme.
Fancy doing some weekend cycling touring aswell as commuting..so i can include a long distance cycle ride with London Marathon next yr if i"m successful in my application.[/quote]

A green Raleigh with "sit up and beg" handlebars and Sturmey Archer gears.

A crap bike but you get more scrap value when the Tour De Tarn stuff wears off

millmoorlane
29-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi Vesberbri, theres hardly a bad racing bike out there these days but don't get owt from Halfords Giant Defy is a solid bike with either 105 or ultegra groupset. comfy bike which is stiff enough to race on.

Wiggins will transfer to Oraca greenedge. Bet on it!

105 or Ultegra will be a lot more than the bike Bri's considering I think. As you say though, there's no really terrible bikes these days so long as you stay clear of the really cheap ones.

On the topic of Tour De France and the bike not mattering... Check out the link for the guy who went up Mont Ventoux on a Raleigh Chopper. The look on the proper cyclists faces as they get passed is priceless. - view external link (http://youtu.be/qNaqRgGOuQQ)

jolly_roger
29-06-2014, 07:58 PM
They've probably never seen a dick on a chopper before.

crashbang
29-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Boycott our meat.

Yes i know Froggies actually English but he"s embraced thecountry and i"m sure he"s got loads of genuine friends that are french.[/quote]

Yes me and Frog did meet up Bellend.

vespabri
30-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Did you get Bellend"ed??

sota
30-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Nowt to do with owt, but I just brought my late brother's 1960's Claud Butler home from my recent trip home.
Two cases and a bike is an ordeal from Donny to Kings Cross to Victoria to Gatwick to Tampa.
Love riding the old girl around the neighbourhood though :-)

vespabri
30-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Top man Sota!!
Worth it all i bet pal.

vespabri
30-06-2014, 02:55 PM
From what ive seen, i like the look of the Fuji 2.3 Sportif from Evans cycles..£550.

millmoorlane
01-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Bri - saw this and thought of you. It's a bit dearer than the Fuji one but bloody hell it looks good value. Worth a look. - view external link (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road-track-bike/ribble-evo-pro-carbon-summer-special-edition?part=SE14RIBEVOPROSUMMER&sub=conf_S)

vespabri
01-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Funnily enough pal, i borrowed a Ribble off an ex-work mate 2 yrs ago to do an 85 mile ride in a day, although it was an old bike it did the job fine.
If any of you keen cyclists know of a female cyclist that used to ride for Raleigh in the 70"s/80"s called Pauline Strong then its her.
Apparently she used to hold various records such as the quickest 100 mile ride, the quickest John O"groats to Lands End..(female riders only).
She now drives waggons for Post Office.

Ludlowmiller
02-07-2014, 08:35 AM
I think it would be a similarly intellectual idea if the London Marathon was run in Strasbourg, Cowes was held in the Baltic Sea, Wimbledon was played in Barcelona whilst the French Open was moved to Skipton and Le Mans could be hosted around Macclesfield.

The Cheese made in Cheshire can be called Camambert and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies can be made in Brussels.

In fact we could dilute evertything, hide every vestige of national event identity...The Tour De France has nothing to do with Yorkshire.
A Tour of God's County would be more accurate for cycling around Yorkshire but the money grabbers behind the Tour de France would never accept that as it's all a misleading, money grabbing excersise...utilising a famous brand that will only be falsified & weakened by outsourcing to non French locations.

If I ever want to see the Tour de France, I would be happier going to France, where I could enjoy the culture as well as the race.

jolly_roger
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
What annoys me about this is the BBC coverage. Look North has gone beyond the remit of reporting on events and has gone into full blown promotion of the event, effectively a form of brainwashing by TV ie "you will like this"

The large volume of people that are inconvenienced by the event or simply don't want Councils spending money on it are sidelined and get little coverage.

To suggest that the Tour De France is an unwanted overhyped event of minimal value appears to be a hanging offence.

Yes I know that some folks like it, and yes it might bring a benefit to some (but limited) areas of Yorkshire, but remember that you cant spend your cash in two places at the same time so somebody somewhere is losing out.

To put a cap on it it turned out that the cost estimates to stage it were magically "under estimated"

Yes it's costing more than they thought.

Odd that isn't it?

Ludlowmiller
02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes Jolly...the BBC's overt promotion of and over reaction to a cycle race in the UK is nauseating and really beyond belief.

A publicly funded organisation such as the BBC needs to display consideration for it's entire spectrum of licence payers...not just a few Euro die hards within, who appear to support anything & everything that emminates from the new Federal State 'Empire' that the EU has become.

Yes, BBC, report the matter for sure...but this sickening overkill is simply embarrassing and well beyond the remit of your Broadcasting Charter.
There are so many positive projects,schemes and initiatives taking place this weekend, each deservant of loads of publicity... but will get none from you because you will be busy wasting loads of our money setting up blanket tv & radio coverage of every inch and every minute of this French Road Race???!!!

Can anyone throw light on the total costs?..including road repairs and preparations and signage, emergency services cover, TV, radio and me

one_a_day
02-07-2014, 11:10 AM
[quote="Ludlowmiller"]I think it would be a similarly intellectual idea if the London Marathon was run in Strasbourg, Cowes was held in the Baltic Sea, Wimbledon was played in Barcelona whilst the French Open was moved to Skipton and Le Mans could be hosted around Macclesfield.

The Cheese made in Cheshire can be called Camambert and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies can be made in Brussels.

In fact we could dilute evertything, hide every vestige of national event identity...The Tour De France has nothing to do with Yorkshire.
A Tour of God's County would be more accurate for cycling around Yorkshire but the money grabbers behind the Tour de France would never accept that as it's all a misleading, money grabbing excersise...utilising a famous brand that will only be falsified & weakened by outsourcing to non French locations.

If I ever want to see the Tour de France, I would be happier going to France, where I could enjoy the culture as well as the race.[/quot

one_a_day
02-07-2014, 11:14 AM
The large volume of people that are inconvenienced by the event

Give over. There's going to be road closures for a day. Wow. Plan accordingly.

vespabri
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
But wer"e English pal...whinging is a part of who SOME of us are.

The_Red_House
02-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Funnily enough pal, i borrowed a Ribble off an ex-work mate 2 yrs ago to do an 85 mile ride in a day, although it was an old bike it did the job fine.
If any of you keen cyclists know of a female cyclist that used to ride for Raleigh in the 70"s/80"s called Pauline Strong then its her.
Apparently she used to hold various records such as the quickest 100 mile ride, the quickest John O"groats to Lands End..(female riders only).
She now drives waggons for Post Office.

Pauline Strong was one of only four professional women riders.

Incidentally, I will be on the side of the road watching the stage into Sheffield - last year, Alpe d'Huez - this year, Jenkin Road.

Redshank
02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Bring it on I say. A chance to see all the worlds top cyclists in South Yorkshire? You'd be a fool to miss it.

It's the same old boring chuffs who are moaning about this that moan about everything else so you can safely ignore them.

Me?...Friday night/Saturday in Ripon and on Sunday afternoon, the "Col Du Jenkin Hill" beckons! It's only a few hundred yards but has the steepest incline in the whole of the tour so there'll be some action there.

jolly_roger
02-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Give over. There's going to be road closures for a day. Wow. Plan accordingly.[/quote]

If it was planned accordingly in the first place, ie gauging what people want the majority would have said no.

To accomodate this event a whole district of Sheffield is cut off (Foxhill), Grenoside similarly, three Supertram stops are closed including the one for the Centretainment complex (cars also restricted), one approach to Meadowhall is closed (putting pressure on the M1 roundabout at Tinsley), Meadowbank Road has restrictions, Wincobank isolated, the main arterial road from Sheffield to M1 Tankersley (Halifax Road) is closed, extra Police costs, Ambulances having to jake long detours to get to the Northern General Hospital etc etc etc and that's just Sheffield, there's bigger disruption for Leeds and parts of North Yor

great_fire
02-07-2014, 02:39 PM
I want one of these:

http://www.b4-bikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/B4-cruizer04.jpg

one_a_day
02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Glad I'm going to the RAF Waddington airshow.

RAF Waddington?

Why is this show ever allowed to take place? All the noise from aircraft disrupting local residents (not to mention all the people on the flight paths). The traffic congestion with all the people travelling to and from the event. The noise from the tannoys commentating on what is going on.

The vast majority of the locals don't want this event. Cancel it I say.

Get my drift? Probably not.

sawmiller
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Give over. There's going to be road closures for a day. Wow. Plan accordingly.[/quote]

If it was planned accordingly in the first place, ie gauging what people want the majority would have said no.

To accomodate this event a whole district of Sheffield is cut off (Foxhill), Grenoside similarly, three Supertram stops are closed including the one for the Centretainment complex (cars also restricted), one approach to Meadowhall is closed (putting pressure on the M1 roundabout at Tinsley), Meadowbank Road has restrictions, Wincobank isolated, the main arterial road from Sheffield to M1 Tankersley (Halifax Road) is closed, extra Police costs, Ambulances having to jake long detours to get to the Northern General Hospital etc etc etc and that's just Sheffield, there's b

Barnsley_Miller
02-07-2014, 06:29 PM
I feel so proud of what everyone has done to promote the Tour and Yorkshire. The Yorkshire public have embraced the event and shown that Yorkshire Folk are second to none.

I will be doing a bit of volunteer work, serving Tea and Coffee to the Masses. it's a 4am start and I don't know if I will get to see much of the race :blue:

It's Yorkshires chance to show the World Gods Country, when the secret is out they will all want to come ;)

Get out and enjoy People!

sawmiller
02-07-2014, 07:01 PM
I feel so proud of what everyone has done to promote the Tour and Yorkshire. The Yorkshire public have embraced the event and shown that Yorkshire Folk are second to none.

I will be doing a bit of volunteer work, serving Tea and Coffee to the Masses. it's a 4am start and I don't know if I will get to see much of the race :blue:

It's Yorkshires chance to show the World Gods Country, when the secret is out they will all want to come ;)

Well said that man!

mazeppa
02-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I've been out and painted a message on the road in the hope it gets picked up by the helicopter, has anyone else done owt like that?

CAMiller
02-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Reading this thread has been somewhat like watching an old episode of "I Didn't Know You Cared".

We don't want it because it's costing our money, it's French, it's an inconvenience...

walter10
03-07-2014, 08:34 AM
[quote="Ludlowmiller"]I think it would be a similarly intellectual idea if the London Marathon was run in Strasbourg, Cowes was held in the Baltic Sea, Wimbledon was played in Barcelona whilst the French Open was moved to Skipton and Le Mans could be hosted around Macclesfield.

If I ever want to see the Tour de France, I would be happier going to France, where I could enjoy the culture as well as the race.[/quot

walter10
03-07-2014, 08:37 AM
The serial whingers are hard at it again. Know sod all...whinge about everything.

jolly_roger
03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Food for thought?

See link

...and these are the direct costs, indirect costs unknown. - view external link (www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26679085)

walter10
03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Holding the event a is marketing and advertising decision. The idea is to promote the region for future tourism. These costs will be offset by income over many years.

The tour is a world event. £27m is cheap to get this kind of exposure on prime time TV worldwide. If you costed it out against other kinds of advertising it would cost much more be less successful.

So lets have a proper debate on the subject. For me it is about value and return on investment rather than cost (why do you think major brands spend so many billions on sponsorship of major sports events - look at what Emirates spend - it is to promote Dubai as a tourist destination).

jolly_roger
03-07-2014, 11:01 AM
I agree Walt, a proper debate is (or was) needed. Fully costed, pros and cons put forward before the event. Gauge the public desire for such an event before actually bidding.

To me it seems as though it wasn't fully thought out with both costs and benefits just made up figures. Now there seems to be a campaign to brainwash the folks of Yorkshire into liking the idea. Maybe to deflect away fro asking questions about the true costs involved.

walter10
03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Glad I'm going to the RAF Waddington airshow.

RAF Waddington?

Why is this show ever allowed to take place? All the noise from aircraft disrupting local residents (not to mention all the people on the flight paths). The traffic congestion with all the people travelling to and from the event. The noise from the tannoys commentating on what is going on.

The vast majority of the locals don't want this event. Cancel it I say.

Get my drift? Probably not.[/quote]

And if you let the public decide whether to waste money on these sorts of events it would be a big NO.

walter10
03-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Why bother with football. All the disruption on match days and waste of valuable police resources. If it was put to a public vote that would be a no as well.

If whingers like jolly got their way Britain would be an isolated insular sh*t hole cut off from the rest of the world. People like him would vote this country down the drain. Thank the lord forward thinking people have the foresight to bring these great events to us to give our country something to be proud of.

walter10
03-07-2014, 03:31 PM

To accomodate this event a whole district of Sheffield is cut off (Foxhill), Grenoside similarly, three Supertram stops are closed including the one for the Centretainment complex (cars also restricted), one approach to Meadowhall is closed (putting pressure on the M1 roundabout at Tinsley), Meadowbank Road has restrictions, Wincobank isolated, the main arterial road from Sheffield to M1 Tankersley (Halifax Road) is closed, extra Police costs, Ambulances having to jake long detours to get to the Northern General Hospital etc etc etc and that's just Sheffield, there's b

millertop
03-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Silly mode set in I see :/

sawmiller
03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree Walt, a proper debate is (or was) needed. Fully costed, pros and cons put forward before the event. Gauge the public desire for such an event before actually bidding.

To me it seems as though it wasn't fully thought out with both costs and benefits just made up figures. Now there seems to be a campaign to brainwash the folks of Yorkshire into liking the idea. Maybe to deflect away fro asking questions about the true costs involved.

Bit like the Olympic games and the World Cup etc. at least on this occasion it is north of Watford

Redshank
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM

Gauge public desire?
Fully costed pros and cons?

Jesus, imagine the bureauocratic nightmare, time and cost of that sort of undertaking! The event would never ever have got off the ground.

The serial moaners would blow a gasket with that one because, of course, it just wouldn't be done efficiently enough.

That's really the whole point isn't it. You just can't please some people!

John2
03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Jesus, imagine the bureauocratic nightmare, time and cost of that sort of undertaking! The event would never ever have got off the ground.

When Rotherham council spent money on a survey to find out how much demand their was for a cinema they were widely panned for wasting money by the same people now asking why there was no survey for the TDF. Some people are just daft.

Deepmidwinter
03-07-2014, 06:37 PM
For me this tremendous sporting spectacular is being ruined by cyclists. They're a bl00dy nuisance.

crashbang
03-07-2014, 06:54 PM
I wish it came through Sunnyside. A chance to get the roads done, and nick some bikes for Christmas.

sawmiller
03-07-2014, 09:43 PM
I wish it came through Sunnyside. A chance to get the roads done, and nick some bikes for Christmas.

good advert for Sunnyside that - yet they'll moan when 'outsiders' dare to suggest some of them are thieving, miserable, narrow minded two hats

sawmiller
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM

When Rotherham council spent money on a survey to find out how much demand their was for a cinema they were widely panned for wasting money by the same people now asking why there was no survey for the TDF. Some people are just daft.[/quote]

No, not daft John - moaning, narrow minded hypocrites maybe...

Barnsley_Miller
04-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Yorkshire getting to show its wares on a Global Stage, how can you put a price on that?

Barnsley_Miller
04-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Vive Yorkshire!

redandgreen
04-07-2014, 06:22 PM

I'd love to live in Yorkshire, it looks great on the telly and not too far from Bradford, I'll have to go there one day

redandgreen
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM

The Olympic legacy helped the Don Valley Stadium...not

riccallmiller
04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
I will be riding out to Harewood house at 7am in the morning and then onto knaresboro on sunday. cant wait.

walter10
05-07-2014, 06:47 AM

The Olympic legacy helped the Don Valley Stadium...not[/quote]

So would you have left the stadium as it was or redevelop the site as planned. Your choice. I know what I'd do.

great_fire
05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Whether it's the World Cup or the Olympics there's usually not much of a legacy.

Look at Brazil, they've now got these huge stadiums but the average attendance in the top division of "the most football-mad country in the world" (as the BBC calls it) is only 15,000.

The_Dark_Horse
05-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I know the TDF will not appeal to everyone and some will be inconvenienced, but speaking as an exile and watching the coverage of the efforts that Yorkshire people have made, I can say this :

I HAVE NEVER BEEN PROUDER TO BE A YORKSHIREMAN

millertop
05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
One good thing about this, the potholes have disappeared

HotshotBobbyW
05-07-2014, 04:11 PM
One good thing about this, the potholes have disappeared

Only for the select few.

loyalmiller
05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm a total novice at the sport with very little interest in it. Watched it on and off today just because it was local, will probably do the same tomorrow then forget all about the sport until the olympics.

Anyway my question is, if they're all in a team like team Sky etc why do they have breakaway riders from the pelaton, are they allowed by the team to do it, told by the team to do it or just think stuff the team I'm doing it?

redandgreen
05-07-2014, 06:00 PM

So would you have left the stadium as it was or redevelop the site as planned. Your choice. I know what I'd do.[/quote]

if there was any real interest in athletics, the DVS should still be there and taking international events that have time and time again ended up in lesser stadium

Lasterman
05-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm a total novice at the sport with very little interest in it. Watched it on and off today just because it was local, will probably do the same tomorrow then forget all about the sport until the olympics.

Anyway my question is, if they're all in a team like team Sky etc why do they have breakaway riders from the pelaton, are they allowed by the team to do it, told by the team to do it or just think stuff the team I'm doing it?

Various reasons. Like in F1, some teams have little/no chance, but what they can do (unlike F1) is make a 'show' early on. Think of all the hundreds of millions watching across the world, and for a couple of hours today, some 'no hope' teams (and more importantly their sponsors) got a LOT of coverage. In the case of the German rider, I think he wanted the KOM jersey on his last tour and that was good for team profile as well.

walter10
05-07-2014, 08:05 PM

Its team orders all the way right done to who when where and whether they make breaks. Too many reasons to even start listing them. They are miked up to team radio.

walter10
05-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Jens Voigt was outstanding today.

millmoorlane
05-07-2014, 08:17 PM
As Walter says, loads of reasons why people may break away. It's pretty rare that they break away early thinking they can win the stage. Lots of it is to do with sponsors and coverage etc. That said, there's other reasons like trying to disrupt other teams by forcing them to chase you down (not today but you will see people attempting to stretch Sky if Froome is winning overall next week). They do it weaken the legs of the support riders so the leader gets isolated etc. All stupidly tactical.

That's one of the big reasons Wiggo isn't riding. Sky need a team that's 100% for Froome. No room for any potential disruption to that. I can't imagine Wiggins would have attacked our tried anything but the fact he doesn't get on with the leader (plus the fact he'd struggle when it gets really hilly) then you're far better having someone like Porte in that role.

Buttertubs looked epic today. Was like the top of an alpine climb.

walter10
06-07-2014, 06:40 AM
I went in to Harrogate to watch yesterday. What a fantastic event. Well done to the organisers. If there were 250,000 in Leeds I bet there were 150,000 in Harrogate. It was a full on party atmosphere.

walter10
06-07-2014, 06:59 AM

So would you have left the stadium as it was or redevelop the site as planned. Your choice. I know what I'd do.[/quote]

if there was any real interest in athletics, the DVS should still be there and taking international events that have time and time again ended up in lesser stadium[/quo

walter10
06-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Whether it's the World Cup or the Olympics there's usually not much of a legacy.

There is a much bigger legacy than your imagination can stretch to. It doesnt mean things havent happened because you ve not heard of them. Why not do some research to find out more before sprouting uninformed opinion.

I ll give 2 locally. 50k to Ulley Sailing Club. Olympic hockey pitch to Sheffield Hockey Club.

Lasterman
06-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Great two days in the end, but as expected a big embarrassment for Sheffield. Everywhere else looked great, people had made and effort and huge crowds. Sheffield? Looked crap, sparse crowds and no evidence of any effort whatsoever. Can imagine plenty of people wanting to come and see Yorkshire after that, but they're going to drive straight past the south - and fast.

BradfordFozzie
06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Well, for someone who isn't into cycling I went today and what a fantastic day it was!!

My local knowledge of West Yorkshire payed off as I walked through Elland near Halifax and up onto Lindley Road which is just before junc 24 M62 at the top of the hill. As they were going up hill we got a great view at the side of the road!

I suppose it's a bit like the FA Cup Final or the Grand National, you don't have to enjoy football or horse racing to enjoy the event.

Fantastic day out!

millmoorlane
06-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Woodhead was absolutely epic. Brilliant atmosphere with Gendarmes high fiving spectators on the way past.

Very proud of Yorkshire. Never seen so many cyclists.

Not so proud of Derbyshire police though. They're probably still queuing to get off Holme Moss now (took us 20 minutes to get past the junction between Holme Moss and Woodhead largely because of all the Police parked up blocking the road and the traffic management vans... Absolutely clueless).

millertop
06-07-2014, 08:12 PM
There was a stabbing at the fan park Sheffield, near where the kids rides were.

Always scum no matter where it is >:(

Barnsley_Miller
06-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Well Mrs BM and I were in Leeds Centre on Saturday and York today, both Days had a tremendous atmosphere with people from all parts of the World in attendance.

Like cycling or not, you cant deny the huge turnout of people lining the streets and roads was great to see. As predicted the Yorkshire public got behind this event and gave it their all.

On Saturday one of the French "Big Wigs" stated that the Tour would defenitely be back in Britain again, without doubt. Great news for the Country and British Cycling Fans indeed.

Top Marks Yorkshire, unreal support and a great advert for the County!

sawmiller
06-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Watched it in the Dales and again today - a match for anything I've witnessed in France - well done the people of Yorkshire and all who helped to organise it - a few glitches, but the good far outweighed the bad. One cafe owner we spoke with reckoned he'd got over A£150K's worth of publicity. We met and spoke with loads of interesting characters from locals through to folk from all over the UK, Australia, Belgium, Italy, France, Russia and Japan

loved it!!

see link - nice piece of good journalism for a change about our region and people - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28188083)

vespabri
07-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Well i loved watching it.
The views across the moors from the helicopter and the ground level filming in the villages of Yorkshire were awesome...PROUD TO BE A YORKSHIREMAN.

walter10
07-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Well done to the tour route designer. Two fantastic iconic stages for Yorkshire. No prologue or short time trial - straight into true tour racing.

Stage 1, a proper test for the sprint teams who had to do some genuine work to get their guys to the front (not a roll through like we're going to get from Cambridge).

Stage 2, a true mountain stage with Jenkins Road that brought out all the top GC contenders (unheard of on day 2 of previous races).

And two brilliant winners, Marcel Kittel and Vincenzo Nibali. I hope they are always linked to Yorkshire.

Ludlowmiller
07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
What!!

For sure, well done for winning you guys...but
"Always linked to Yorkshire"..God help us.

walter10
07-07-2014, 10:17 AM
What!!

"Always linked to Yorkshire"..God help us.

Yes, always linked to Yorkshire. That is part of the history and heritage of the tour. Cyclists are forever linked to their great stage wins.

Archiemiller
07-07-2014, 12:15 PM
What!!

"Always linked to Yorkshire"..God help us.Yes must agree with you Ludlow and a few more,have i lost the plot completely or is it just me,not been a french speaking person can someone explain,does de mean of? Tour of France,if so why in Yorkshire:? :? Must agree with most great advert for our beautiful county but do we really need it,I holiday in Yorkshire every year and i dont think we need to encourage anymore Japs,Jerrys and Frogs unless you own a business ie cafe,chip shop,ice cream or bb. Out of the million plus spectators that lined the route yesterday how many just wanted to see themselves on telly? How many turned out because the weather was ok and they had sod all to do? And how many would have turned out if it hadnt been FREE ???? Very sparse i think;) If people liked it so much why not have "Tour of England"every year and how many on here would rather go to the top

walter10
07-07-2014, 12:20 PM
What!!

"Always linked to Yorkshire"..God help us.Yes must agree with you Ludlow and a few more,have i lost the plot completely or is it just me,not been a french speaking person can someone explain,does de mean of? Tour of France,if so why in Yorkshire:? :? Must agree with most great advert for our beautiful county but do we really need it,I holiday in Yorkshire every year and i dont think we need to encourage anymore Japs,Jerrys and Frogs unless you own a business ie cafe,chip shop,ice cream or bb. Out of the million plus spectators that lined the route yesterday how many just wanted to see themselves on telly? How many turned out because the weather was ok and they had sod all to do? And how many would have turned out if it hadnt been FREE ???? Very sparse i think;) If people liked it so much why not have "Tour of England"every ye

sawmiller
07-07-2014, 12:32 PM
It's a curious paradox that folk who dislike this event seem to know, well, er...Jack S about it

empty vessels etc...

I don't like F1 but I don't go on that thread slagging it off

Archiemiller
07-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Dont know jack s**t ya say sawmill,when youve cycled up Rowmish hill in FIXY mate what more is the to know about biking.XD XD XD

sawmiller
07-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Dont know jack s**t ya say sawmill,when youve cycled up Rowmish hill in FIXY mate what more is the to know about biking.XD XD XD

I've driven on the M1 and M25 and I know everything about F1...

;D

p.s. try Rosedale Chimney Bank, Mt. Ventoux (all 3 routes) and Le Col de Tourmalet and then let's chat over a beer...

Archiemiller
07-07-2014, 01:56 PM

I've driven on the M1 and M25 and I know everything about F1...

;D

p.s. try Rosedale Chimney Bank, Mt. Ventoux (all 3 routes) and Le Col de Tourmalet and then let's chat over a beer...[/quote]Ive got a better idea sawmill lets kick off(start)wi a few beers then say f**k the mountains;D ;D

sawmiller
07-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Oh very well, if you insist. I rode up the Long Mynd in Shropshire many years ago after a thirst stop and a jar of local cider...