PDA

View Full Version : Death of the universe

ozfan
30-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Within a few trillion years the universe will go out.Complete darkness.Cold and eventually decay and emptiness.The universe has consumed all the available fuel. Interestingly the last surviving element will be radiation.

Now from here the thinking by physicists is that it is for infinity. Cold empty space.

But. Isn't this how we started out. Empty dark space until the big bang?

So, what if the formation and destruction of the universe is also a continuous cycle.

Multiple big bangs over hundreds of trillions of years.

Perhaps the history of everything is much, much, deeper.

MissWinnie
02-07-2014, 07:34 AM
I find this subject this fascinating, but as someone who does not have a mathematical and scientific brain, I always struggle when trying to read about/get my head around it.

Weren't there a couple of scientists a few years ago which proposed the possibility of multiple big bangs? Something to do with the dark energy being Einstein's weakest theory?

I always struggle with the concept of something from nothing. I'm kind of attracted to the idea of no beginning no end, which of course,is equally mind challenging ...

I can't offer much in the way of scientific debate, but, for sure, I think there are a whole lot more locks to be opened before our beautiful universe reveals its biggest mystery ...

yubbywelch
02-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Just keep eating beans, that will be plenty more fuel.

ozfan
05-07-2014, 10:54 AM
I find this subject this fascinating,

That's two of us then :D

The something from nothing explosion is a fly in the ointment for the big bang for sure.You need ingredients for an explosion. The no beginning and end idea is interesting but the universe is traveling in a forward direction. Galaxies are all on the move and they must have got their forward thrust somehow.

I think we struggle to wrap our heads around the shear vastness of the universe. It really is mind boggling. Can you imagine the diversity of life that surely must exist due to the shear volume of Galaxies and the billions upon billions of suns.

I want to see it all. :)

MissWinnie
09-07-2014, 12:12 AM
"I think we struggle to wrap our heads around the shear vastness of the universe. It really is mind boggling."

It certainly is. If we think though that it is not that long since we mapped just our own (relatively) tiny planet, then it is not surprising that we struggle to comprehend the magnitude of the universe.

"Can you imagine the diversity of life that surely must exist due to the shear volume of Galaxies and the billions upon billions of suns."

On a clear night I love to look up at the stars and try and imagine. I'm sure its so much more than my little mind can ever dream of.

"I want to see it all. :)"

Me too. :)

bongosdad
09-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Hire a UFO for the weekend then oz. Thats if you hold a current UFO licence though obviously.

bembo86
03-09-2014, 01:21 AM
If any of you look through a telescope and find a white dwarf star, then you're in for a treat. The white dwarf is the equivalent of the big bang. It's a dying star that releases hydrogen, causes a thermal reaction, turns red, then explodes(if there is enough density in the star). If it doesn't explode it just cools down and becomes a black star. The supanova is pretty much a big bang, type 1a is the dangerous one. Once that cools down it forms the nebula(leftovers from the explosion; dust, other things like oxygen, helium, carbon, zinc. If our sun becomes a white dwarf star, we're ****ed

Learned a lot from those two science demos. the potassium and water experiment and also the sodium and water experiment. Notice when the hydrogen is released it creates a bright light. Similar thing with the white dwarf stars.

TrianonDave
07-09-2014, 08:02 AM
No big bang guys! it is now classified as 'expansion' the universe we think we know exploded to the size of a marble, ever since then it has expanded, how much further will it go or has gone without us knowing?

We know nothing!

ozfan
08-09-2014, 10:24 AM
You're so right, Dave.

The infinite possibilities are expanding at a much greater rate than our knowledge. We know less as time goes on.

ozfan
08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Bembo, Nebula's must be one of the most beautiful charismatic creations in the universe. When you see pictures from Hubble showing new stars forming from the tips of a Nebula dust cloud do you then appreciate their shear vastness.

birminghamborn
08-09-2014, 09:15 PM
No big bang guys! it is now classified as 'expansion' the universe we think we know exploded to the size of a marble, ever since then it has expanded, how much further will it go or has gone without us knowing?

We know nothing!

Had to be a big bang,to set it all in motion and yes it is still expanding.

Think of all the matter in the Cosmos and the order of it all, it blows your mind, someone had write the blueprint for it all to work.

TrianonDave
08-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Dark matter, what's that all about? i mean we hear theories suggesting this stuff holds everything together but just what is it and how does it hold all these planets and stars in such an accurate position while allowing them to rotate!
Why not just ping and crash in to each other like a break at snooker?

Don't get it but fascinated by it all !!!

And just how big or small are we really, are we just the size of an atom or super massive? as time goes on we will find out and just maybe we will find out something we do not want to know?

Balanbam00
24-09-2014, 06:43 PM
"Had to be a big bang,to set it all in motion "

There had to be forces acting on matter, (gases).

Perhaps we should be asking not how, but why it all came into being?

birminghamborn
25-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Why is a big question, almost as big as How.

ozfan
26-09-2014, 02:30 AM
How and why are the biggest questions but I think how trumps why.

How do you get a big bang from what was originally nothing but a black vacuum of emptiness.

To make a bang you need explosive ingredients and a reaction to release the stored energy. Now let's just think of the energy needed to creates such an explosion which birthed the universe on such a huge scale? You can't just produce gases from absolutely nothing.

I'm starting to give much more credence to the idea of the birth and death of the universe being its self a part of a grand cycle.

But even if that is true and the age of everything is trillions of years there still had to have been a beginning. A time when there was nothing.

It's truly mind boggling.

Balanbam00
27-09-2014, 05:19 PM
As you say its truly mind boggling.

But logic and reason can not answer this question

Science can not give answers only philosophy can 'speculate.

Its beyond the mind ! :-)

Balanbam00
04-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Oz, respect to you.

I take the why, why?

Science tells us about 'how', philosophy tells us about why!

1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4. Maths a department of science.

Can science tell us the root cause? No, it has no answers.
Philosophy also can not give us answers,its speculation.

But its all beyond the mind !! A great mystery!