PDA

View Full Version : Proposed format change for 2014/15 season

CAMiller
09-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Another season is almost upon us and after 4-5 years of the current format I'm thinking of simplifying things for me and you. Here's what I'm thinking:-

Only predicting on RUFC games - Score, Goal Scorer (from either team), Attendance

2pts for getting the result correct or if you get the score correct 5pts + 1pt per goal (as before)
3pts for each goal your scorer gets but only 1pt for a penalty (as before)
Attendence 2pts if within +/-250 plus 3 bounus points for the closest guess overall.

There will be 46 weeks of predicting, 1 for each league game.

Here's the major change, at 3 points in the season (after 12, 24 and 36 games) the bottom 25% will be eliminated and the scores for those remaining reset to 0.

Thoughts anyone - or volunteers to take over the old format!

pip_y
09-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I enjoy the present format but appreciate that it must be a lot of work to administer. Whatever the format for the coming season I will still do it. Just one observation though with the current set up it was possible to miss weeks i.e. for holidays. So if it's all 46 league games will you be able to predict in advance to cover whilst away?

CAMiller
09-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I enjoy the present format but appreciate that it must be a lot of work to administer. Whatever the format for the coming season I will still do it. Just one observation though with the current set up it was possible to miss weeks i.e. for holidays. So if it's all 46 league games will you be able to predict in advance to cover whilst away?

Thanks pip.

I just wish there was a way of keeping the current format and preventing people dropping out after 35 weeks simply because they get fed up/can't win. That's a lot of time spent entering their predictions, working out league positions etc even though I do have most of it automated to some extent. I do however realise that that there's no prize on offer and things do come up in people's lives so it's their prerogative.

The new way is just a suggestion for now, a way of cutting out stragglers while trying to keep interest up for those left and yes the threads to predict on could be put up

cram
09-07-2014, 09:25 PM
would it be possible to run them side by side for a season? as you say the prediction league is mostly automated, I know it'd be extra work in the short term, but if everyone thought your ideas were sound the following seasons would be less

TheGimpPimp
11-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Scores shouldn't be reset to 0. Somebody could win the first 3 sections and then just lose the last. Scores should be cumulative.

CAMiller
11-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Cram - I'm trying to save time not spend more so running them side by side wouldn't be a viable option for me.

TheGimpPimp - I understand your point. The suggestion to reset was to try and keep interest alive because historically, once we get past Christmas people start jacking it in because they are far enough behind to not be able to realistically win. Unfortunately I can't offer cash incentives or a place in Europe next season to keep their interests alive.

NeztheMiller
11-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Scores shouldn't be reset to 0. Somebody could win the first 3 sections and then just lose the last. Scores should be cumulative.

Yes, I was thinking the same, it just wouldn't be fair!

I would definitely prefer the tried and tested way that we've all become accustomed to over the years CAMiller, but at the end of the day, it's you who has to sort it all out, so I would just "go with the flow"!

We need more feedback from those who've been playing regularly! ;)

ilikecarling
14-07-2014, 08:19 PM
I've played the last four years an kinda like the format, agree must be hard work totting up the tallys each week though.

So on that view, rather it stayed but easy any road as am tosh!

TimeforAle
15-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I really like the existing format, but will change if we must.

The one thing I really don't like around your suggestion CA, is predicting the bl00dy attendance - this has sod all to do with the football itself and that ought to be what we are really being tested on - do I care if I am 500 out with the attendance if I predict a 4-1 win right, do I heck.

Up to you mate.

Anyway we can share the burden a bit by taking it in turns with the Admin...does your spreadsheet come with an idiots guide for Brin?? :-p

TimeforAle
15-07-2014, 11:16 AM
The other thing about people being eliminated, especially at cull one, is that they may well be less inclind to come back the following year and it may be the start of the death knell...

crashbang
15-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Another season is almost upon us and after 4-5 years of the current format I'm thinking of simplifying things for me and you. Here's what I'm thinking:-

Only predicting on RUFC games - Score, Goal Scorer (from either team), Attendance

2pts for getting the result correct or if you get the score correct 5pts + 1pt per goal (as before)
Attendence 2pts if within +/-250 plus 3 bounus points for the closest guess overall.

Here's the major change, at 3 points in the season (after 12, 24 and 36 games) the bottom 25% will be eliminated and the scores for those remaining reset to 0.

You lost me after "Another"

CAMiller
17-07-2014, 07:42 PM

You lost me after "Another"[/quote]

So even simplifying things won't help you then Crash?

Brin
23-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I really like the existing format, but will change if we must.

The one thing I really don't like around your suggestion CA, is predicting the bl00dy attendance - this has sod all to do with the football itself and that ought to be what we are really being tested on - do I care if I am 500 out with the attendance if I predict a 4-1 win right, do I heck.

Up to you mate.

Anyway we can share the burden a bit by taking it in turns with the Admin...does your spreadsheet come with an idiots guide for Brin?? :-p

I see you've started before the season's even kicked off..XD XD XD XD

CA...I'd stick with the tried and tested method...yes it may seem boring but its a tried and trusted method...the idea of eliminating folk who clearly fall by the wayside as they predict badly or as you say can't be arced as they know they won't win is a good idea...if it deters them the following season it's less work for you pal...only the die hards wil

CAMiller
24-07-2014, 04:02 PM
OK - I capitulate and no that's not a ***ual act XD

Normal service will be resumed. Probably start around August 30th and go 32 from 36 same as last year. Can someone prod Frickley and awaken him from his summer slumber to see if he wants to post the fixtures this year.

Woe betide anyone on this thread starting the season and dropping out - I'll be hunting you down for charitable donations if you do ;D

Brin
27-07-2014, 03:41 PM
OK - I capitulate and no that's not a ***ual act XD

Normal service will be resumed. Probably start around August 30th and go 32 from 36 same as last year. Can someone prod Frickley and awaken him from his summer slumber to see if he wants to post the fixtures this year.

Woe betide anyone on this thread starting the season and dropping out - I'll be hunting you down for charitable donations if you do ;D

FAO Frickley...if you want me to pick up posting the fixtures this coming season pal I don't mind...;D

FrickleyAway
01-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Lol I'm here lurking in the background

CA - let me know when you want to start and will get some fixtures up. Let me know ASAP as I go away to Canada soon and not back in country till 26th aug

Brin, depending on when CA wants to start I may need you to post first few fixtures. Will let you know pal

Cheers

CAMiller
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Let's make Week 1 August 23rd and put up the first 3 weeks now (or soon). As usual I'll probably accept players up to and including week 3.

Use the same entry format as previous years as it's easy on the eyes when scrolling through the posts and entering the predictions into my patented 'predictometer' XD

Thanks in advance.

CAM

FrickleyAway
01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
No probs mate. Will post tomorrow

Sorry brin lol :-p

Brin
02-08-2014, 11:44 PM
No probs mate. Will post tomorrow

Sorry brin lol :-p

If the fixtures are s.hite i'm complaining and having you banned...:P