PDA

View Full Version : ST Andrews Countdown lets have ya

bolt
13-07-2014, 01:28 PM
20 players from the past all post war .please put your top six in order and if I have missed out some one better than these, please tell us all who it is ,add them to your top six if you wish
sort of nicked the idea from the pool site but it looks interesting fun

Alan Campbell, Trevor Francis, Bob Hatton Gill Merick ,Jimmy Greenholf ,Howard Kendal, Collin Todd. Stan Lazerides, Malcom Page, Trevor Smith, Peter Murphy ,Martin Grainger, David Seaman, Kenny Cunningham ,Gordon Astall, Alex Govan, Bob Latchford, Kenny Burns, Gordon taylor

bolt
13-07-2014, 02:39 PM
1 Trevor Francis
2 Peter Murphy
3 Bob Hatton
4 Bob Latchford
5 Martin Grainger
6 Kenny Cunningham

watching these players has probably given me the most pleasure
PS Kendal just missed it

gazulu
13-07-2014, 06:21 PM
1. Trevor Francis
2. Bob Latchford
3. Bob Hatton
4. Kenny Burns
5. Martin Grainger
6. Malcolm Page

bolt
13-07-2014, 06:56 PM
nice one Gaz can't waite to see spion .bassy pearcy and kroks picks oh and of course the general, then there is viper, 62, and eion. plus many more

spionkop
14-07-2014, 05:56 AM
1. Trevor Francis2. Bob Latchford3. Bob Hatton4. Kenny Burns5. Christope Dugarry. 6th equal Geoff Vowden, Fred Pickering, Ken Leek, Barry Bridges,
Jimmy Bloomfield, Bertie Auld, Trevor Smith, Dick Neil, Roger Hynd.

bolt
14-07-2014, 08:46 AM
how could I forget

Christophe Dugarry

a derrr moment

gazulu
14-07-2014, 10:05 AM
I think the jury is still out on Dugarry who was class for half a season then the following term he didn't want to know. Then you look at the likes of Ian Bennet who played for Blues for 10yrs and rarely gets a mention or Martin O'Connor who was the engine room of our midfield for a few years.

bolt
14-07-2014, 03:04 PM
true Gaz but he was a pleasure to watch

kropotkin56
15-07-2014, 02:46 AM
1) Trevor Francis (0bviously)
2) Terry Hennessy
3) Bertie Auld
4) Bob Latchford
5) Kenny Burns
6) Ken Leek

aKROKiwi
15-07-2014, 06:18 AM
I found this hard to do. Obviously I never saw a lot of the greats from the fifties (Merrick, Smith, the famous five forwards)but no doubt they will have their supporters like Stan Lynn, one of tas' faves. I also have tried to pick genuine "Blues' Players" i.e. they had to have stayed a while so that ruled out Dugarry, McFadden, Joe Hart etc. Anyway here's my sixpence for what it's worth - I haven't looked at anyone else's yet.

1. Trevor Francis - are we serious; is there anyone else?
2. Kenny Cunningham - played my position and if I had been half the player he was I would have been 300% better
3. Malcolm Page - schoolboy to full international with Blues and played every outfield position for us.
4. Mikhail Forssell - incredibly quick feet; a defenders nightmare.
5. Steven Carr - captained us in the game that matters most of all.
6. Chris Wood - did what I wanted to do I would have gladly given back all 26 games in a White Shirt for one in Royal Blue
6. OK just Kidding I kno

aKROKiwi
15-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Robbie Savage is one no one has mentioned - I know it ended badly - very badly - but he was a terrific player for us

generalblue
15-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Not necessarily the players blessed with the highest skills but players I loved watching for Blues

Trevor Francis
Micky Harford
Kenny Burns
Barry Ferguson
Trevor Hockey
Mikkael Forsell

generalblue
15-07-2014, 06:43 AM
...and here's 6 others who never shirked a challenge

Pendrey
Blake
Dicks
Dennis
Roger Shankley Hynd ( yes that was his middle after Bill )
The legend - Stevie Carr

And honorable mentions to Grainger, Damien Johnson, Martin O'Connor

aKROKiwi
15-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Hopkins General?

Mark Dennis, what a shame, he could really play.

BrisBlue
15-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Six of the Best

Gil Merrick
Trevor Smith
Malcom Beard
Trevor Hennesy
Eddie Brown
Alex Govan

spionkop
16-07-2014, 07:48 AM
When you read other poster's lists you suddenly realise that you missed out somebody who you would have included. Tha General listed Trevor Hockey and he should nave been in my list. Almost universal first vote for TF is well deserved.
Rg

aKROKiwi
16-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Maybe 6 wasn't enough Spion we could have gone with ten?

Larsson is another who hasn't been mentioned - great right foot free kicks plus two beauties from the field, at Spurs and when he ran through the entire Sheffield side at St Andrews. His personality shone through when he played too.

If Bolt had allowed us 10 I would have included Gordon Taylor; I used to love watching him play when we lived in Blighty. I also liked George Smith a lot too; later on I liked Jim Hagan for the same reasons.

What the lists have in common is that although we loved & love the dashing goalscorers what the others we admire have in common is the grit we expect from our Blues.

bassman
16-07-2014, 04:26 PM
pretty simple choice for me

1 Trevor Francis
2 Bob Hatton ( he made many of francis and latchfords goals physically and by making space for them)
3 Bob Latchford
4 kenny Burns
5 Frank Worthington (difficult choice but he was a true entertainer and did everything that Dugarry did)
6 mikael Forrsell ( one sublime season of the deadliest finishing )

kenny cunningham, kevin dillon, colin todd, mark dennis,martin grainger,david langan and many more worthy of selection into a top ten

bolt
16-07-2014, 10:40 PM
dead right Spion, Bassy

WAKEY WAKEY Bolt

Fabulous Frank

wonderful to watch

kropotkin56
17-07-2014, 02:01 AM
10 would be fairer - but I was just thinking about Keith Bertschin. He wouldn't be in my top ten, let alone my top 6. But he did score about the best goal I've ever seen anyone score for Blues. Away at Arsenal, 1-0 down, and the Blues goalie sends the goal kick to centre circle, where Trevor Francis hits it with one touch over his shoulder straight into Bertschin's path. 30 yards out, and he blasts it past the Arsenal goalkeeper. Magic. Trevor took one look over his shoulder as the ball was coming to him, and that's all it took. About seven seconds from the Blues penalty box to the Arsenal net.

Of course, that's when we had Alf Ramsay as our manager . . .

generalblue
17-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Yes Krok, Hoppy should be included in any list of Blues' battlers.
Thanks

aKROKiwi
17-07-2014, 09:20 PM
I remember that goal; it was shown on Brian Moore's highlights package that was sent down under. I remmebr thinking "5hit, we did that?" I think we won the game. At the time I thought may be it was a signal we hard turned the corner; but as usual it was a false dawn; the board failed to back Ramsay, appointed excretaheadjimsmith, Francis was sold and the rest as they say is history. And the same old story.

viperblue
20-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Late entry due to holidays
1= TF & Frank Worthington
3= Bob Latchford & Kenny Burns
5= Grainger & Jimmy Harris(scored 2 in our 1st league cup win)

Honourable mentions for Trevor Smith , The Horse Julian Dicks, & Merrick

skill and grit
KRO

1875heathen
24-07-2014, 05:58 PM
In no particular order Top 5 in recent times.
Trevor Francis
Kenny Burns
Christopher Dugarry
Frank Worthington
Mikael Forssell

End of Debate

bolt
24-07-2014, 06:02 PM
you can not beat being positive can you

1875heathen
24-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Well you did ask for opinions and there like ar-se-hol-es ...everybody's got one