PDA

View Full Version : Seems we heard this 80 years ago

Oldtimeram
15-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger, 29, believes Germany can embark on an era of global dominance following their World Cup success in Brazil. Daily Express

From a little man with a dodgy haircut and funny little moustache.

Sieg Heil

Altobelli
15-07-2014, 12:05 PM
:O

I'd say that Muller is destined for higher things, if Crossroads was still running he'd get in the cast straight away, but seeing as it isn't he's got to work on his acting a little more to get into Eastenders or the Street, Christ if Barbara Windsor got a role on there there's hope for him.

Oldtimeram
15-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Barbara Windsor had a couple of things going for her that helped her get the part. ;D

alfinyalcabo
15-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I wonder how things would have turned out if the Germans had won the Second World War..Hmmm ..

Oldtimeram
16-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Wir sprechen Deutsch :D

We would be celebrating winning the World Cup for the 4th time and we would be eating Sauerkraut, which is horrible. Drinking beer in a stein and more sinisterly, there would be no synagogues!

RedBasie
17-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I wonder how things would have turned out if the Germans had won the Second World War..Hmmm ..

Though there was no way he would have the logistics to invade and control these islands, he wasn't far off developing nuclear capability and he wasn't short of rockets, so it looks as though we'd had ended up as a radioactive wasteland.

Oldtimeram
17-07-2014, 03:06 PM
If he'd carried on in 1940 after steamrollering through France and Belgium we wouldn't have stood a chance

RedBasie
17-07-2014, 04:07 PM
If he'd carried on in 1940 after steamrollering through France and Belgium we wouldn't have stood a chance

He didn't though did he ? He must have thought that those converted Dutch barges of his would stand no chance against the weather and the Royal Navy which at that time was unscathed. The bigger danger to us was the blockade by U boats which remained a very real threat until the Enigma Code was solved and we knew just where they were. Fortunately for us he made the mistake which no military commander should do and that is march on Moscow. Surely he must have read about Napoleon's previous exploits.

Oldtimeram
17-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Yes Russia was his big mistake. He spread his forces too thin and the weather in Russia beat him really.

Capturing the enigma machine was important along with breaking all the other sophisticated German codes at Bletchley. Alan Turing and his team were geniuses.

Hitler also made a big mistake not long after Dunkirk by switching his raids on the fighter airfields to London. That gave the RAF ***** time to repair the airfields and also get more Spits and Hurricanes down to 10 and 11 Groups. It also allowed Bader's Duxford Wing to become a key factor in controlling the skies in the summer and autumn of 1940.

alfinyalcabo
17-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Definitely the attack on the Russian front was his big mistake..

Anybody seen the programme on the capture of the enigma machine ..very interesting. My father was a royal marine who was wounded on the dieppe raid,some say this was a diversion so they could raid France to capture one of those enigma machines.. :(

Oldtimeram
17-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Not seen the programme about capturing the enigma machine, I wish I had though.

The Dieppe raid in the summer of 42 was a complete disaster and a waste of lives. It was badly planned from what I know.

Oldtimeram
17-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Went for lunch today with my old neighbour. He is now 97 and we had a good chat about Operation Torch and Operation Pedestal, which he was involved in. We also chatted about SS Strathallan, a little known maritime wartime disaster. He was on HMS Pathfinder that helped pick up survivors after it was torpedoed. See the link. Interesting story. - view external link (http://www.thestrathallan.com/introduction.htm)

claw84
18-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Amazing story, terrible loss and I had never heard of it.