PDA

View Full Version : New COMPETITION! 'Spot the MIstake!'

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 07:19 AM
These are the rules - which unlike other 'competitions' are set in stone, not shifting sand.

Find the mistake. Post your result on here and in a sentence NOT exceeding fifty words, describe your reaction when you had spent three months knitting the garment, only to discover said mistake. (Running round the garden, windmilling, is NOT, repeat NOT, an option.

http://i58.tinypic.com/k9cigz.jpg

There is a simply super prize:

http://i60.tinypic.com/4jkjyu.jpg

(No Corks, this is not for measuring you-know-what - though yours would be an 0)

Entries must be in by Tuesday, 29 July and the judge's decision is final - no knit-pickin' please!

Keep those yarns coming! :)

Corkhead
27-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Complicated innit. Not sure why you would need a PhD to knit a cock sock. Buy one off the peg. They do your size in Little Man Accessories Lassie. XD

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Yes following the pattern..it turned out I had knitted a red and white striped tea cosy.
I was incandescant and decided to concentrate on my other hobby.

Corkhead
27-07-2014, 08:24 AM
MIne's the size and shape of a hot air balloon. I tried to fill it full of helium but it leaks.

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 08:32 AM
MIne's the size and shape of a hot air balloon. I tried to fill it full of helium but it leaks.
We are not in the least interested in your personal, private problems - please confine yourself to entries on this thread or I will be forced to start a 'Spot the Mistake Comments' thread.

I've heard of a phartin' *****, but never a squeaky dickie. XD XD XD Must be an embarrassment when down the Club or with clients.

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Yes following the pattern..it turned out I had knitted a red and white striped tea cosy.
I was incandescant and decided to concentrate on my other hobby.
Learning to spall?

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Yes Timothy

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 08:51 AM

I LOL when (thanks to Lassie) I realised the enormity of your post.

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 08:55 AM

I LOL when (thanks to Lassie) I realised the enormity of your post.[/quote]

It is not a pleasant trait to larf and point at another man's affliction.

Have you never noticed he's CUBICLEMAN not URINALPERSON?

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 08:59 AM
I cant say that I have ever had the pleasure of his company in the SS bogs

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 09:10 AM
The reason is clear...

XD XD XD

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 09:11 AM

http://i62.tinypic.com/hva0b4.jpg

lovedeanblue
27-07-2014, 09:13 AM
My late Mum used to knit goalkeeper type polo neck jumpers, plain and purl I am reliably told. A Green one was my favourite, I thought I could become a future Norman Uprichard. ;D

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Me too Luvvie.Mine was a blue one though.Jumper I mean.>:(

Bloody nightmare in the rain,it used to droop to around the knees.Jumper I mean >:(

tamarblue
27-07-2014, 10:09 AM
It is described as a short sleeve cardigan. Having studied the pattern it appears that it has no sleeves at all. Therefore surely the title of the pattern is wrong it should read Belted Waistcoat.

On the subject of knitted things my grandmother once knitted herself a swimming costume which fitted fine when dry but which became very saggy once it got wet in the sea.

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 10:38 AM
It is described as a short sleeve cardigan. Having studied the pattern it appears that it has no sleeves at all. Therefore surely the title of the pattern is wrong it should read Belted Waistcoat.

A very good effort TB, and typical of the gardener's attention to detail, but as the front of the pattern shows (below), alas it DOES have sleeves.

http://i61.tinypic.com/5mk5md.jpg

cunninglinguist
27-07-2014, 12:15 PM
'Norman Uprichard' just sounds wrong.

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Yes true
Bit like Ben Mcdoon and Phil McAvity

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 01:55 PM
The pattern refers to a "short sleeved cardigan",whereas in the directions it refers to "the blouse"

I claim my prize.

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 01:56 PM

A very good effort TB, and typical of the gardener's attention to detail, but as the front of the pattern shows (below), alas it DOES have sleeves.

http://i61.tinypic.com/5mk5md.jpg[/quote]

They are the longest short sleeves I have seen foe a while

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 02:26 PM
[quote="Scoular1"
I claim my prize.[/quote]
Ten out of ten for observation, Skulls.
I just felt it was time to include a bit of butt in there to jolly the whole comp along (something we didn't get with any of Bladds comps). Here is the actual picture:

http://i60.tinypic.com/kdu8uh.jpg

Btw I've had a couple of e-mails saying what a great idea this competition is and will I do it every week - sort of KnitoftheWeek (KOTW). I'll give it some careful thought, Jim. It won't be muscling in on any other comps that Mods might have in mind? :)

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Maybe we could couple this with an Embroidery section.I am polishing up my french knots as we speak.

BlueAdder
27-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Bloody nightmare in the rain,it used to droop to around the knees.Jumper I mean >:(

We were proper poor when I was a nipper and decent clothes were a bit of a problem for my Mum.
Remember she made me a swimsuit out of a woolly sleeveless cardigan with the neck sewed up. You got into it wrong way up if you follow me and held it up with a belt. Went into the sea and it soaked up the water, weighed heavy and headed south. Most embarrassing. :D :D :D

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 02:32 PM
:D :D :D

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 02:39 PM

We were proper poor when I was a nipper and decent clothes were a bit of a problem for my Mum.
Remember she made me a swimsuit out of a woolly sleeveless cardigan with the neck sewed up. You got into it wrong way up if you follow me and held it up with a belt. Went into the sea and it soaked up the water, weighed heavy and headed south. Most embarrassing. :D :D :D[/quote]

Sorry! This is a competition - not nostagia corner. It's rubbish like this that did for your efforts. You should have been more decisive and not pandered to the whims of the hoi poloi.

I have a sneeky feeling you may have the hots for the young lady with the knitted handbag...;D

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Don't be unkind Lassie

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 02:50 PM
It's the knitting.
It does my head in.
Click, click, click
Cast on, cast off.
Will it fit? Clickety-click!
Argghhhhh!
Soz Bladds.
If it makes you feel better, we went to Ventnor for hols when I was a kid. Loved it in the sea there. And the walks!

Corkhead
27-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Just loitering outside o' them while the match is in progress. XD

Paaaaarp, squeak, whoops! :O

Corkhead
27-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Yes true

Or, or, or ...

Herbert Fitzpatrick.

Corkhead
27-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Or, or, or ...

Justin Heranus

Scoular1
27-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes true

Or, or, or ...

Herbert Fitzpatrick.[/quote] and his very good friend

BlueAdder
27-07-2014, 06:31 PM
I take it the competition is over thanks to smart arse Scully, and now we are reverting to inane babble. >:(

BlueAdder
27-07-2014, 06:34 PM
I had knits when I was little.

pfclassof61
27-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Look Bladds, you run your comps (badly) and I'll run mine (goodly), OK?

I haven't forgotten how you kept chippin' away at poor Harvey when he was in extremis. My heart goes out to the lad - personal problems galore, new job, trying to make up for the pigs ear of a comp on here and all you could do was sit on the side lines and sneer and carp. Well, let me tell you - THAT IS NOT MY STYLE! I'm surprised you've told us (and Harvey's Da) where you are. I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you. Anyway enjoy the rest of your holiday and come back refreshed...

I said the comp finishes on Tuesday and I am a man of my word - a concept which...(well, never mind - I'm being nice to you this weekend).

No-one has even got close to a correct answer to be honest, but maybe the weekday office crew will be warmer.

In any case, there's a humdinger of a comp in the offing (a naval expression for conditions to the south of the IOW, I'm given to understand).

Scoular1
28-07-2014, 02:42 PM
I think you will find the naval expression is Bumfinger not Humdinger

pfclassof61
28-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I think you will find the naval expression is Bumfinger not Humdinger

After your spirited (not to say aggressive) defence of your spelling of labido, I confess that my self-confidence is shot to smithereens on matters of spelling. (I now realise that you were referring to labidochromis - ie the goldfish you used to have)

So I am lacking in temerity and experiencing some trepidation when I venture to correct you on the use of a nautical expression.

The relevant saying, of course, is 'in the offing'. This is one of the many phrases of nautical origin. It is quite simple to understand once you know that 'the offing' is the part of the sea that can be seen from land, excluding those parts that are near the shore. Early texts also refer to it as 'offen' or 'offin'.

Someone who was watching out for a ship to arrive would first see it approaching when it was 'in the offing' and expected to dock before the next tide. Something that is

pfclassof61
28-07-2014, 03:16 PM
There being no winner of this competition, the prize rolls over to a new competition, "KNIT WITS", which seeks to find the best pun from the beguiling and besotting world of knit-craft.

This comp will be launched (or cast on! XD XD XD ) in the very near future and promises to be a purler!

BlueAdder
28-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Lassie you prize pundit! You know as well as I that it was your sidekick and fellow nasty piece of work, Chiswickmart, that laid into Harvey and incurred the wrath of his Dad.
And as for your salty diatribe I suspect that the nautical books that you refer are as near to the sea as you have ever ventured. I can only think of one kind of 'offing' that should apply to your good self.

P.S. Looked out for the Chinese girls again this am in Ventnor but have been unable to locate them for the moment. You said 'nubile' but I'm not too sure what that means, hoping it's something rude.

Corkhead
28-07-2014, 03:28 PM
The relevant saying, of course, is 'in the offing'. This is one of the many phrases of nautical origin. It is quite simple to understand once you know that 'the offing' is the part of the sea that can be seen from land, excluding those parts that are near the shore. Early texts also refer to it as 'offen' or 'offin'.

Have you ever considered feck offing? :D

chiswickmart
28-07-2014, 03:29 PM
[quote="pfclassof61", which seeks to find the best pun from the beguiling and besotting world of knit-craft.
[/quote]

This feels like even more of a stitch up than Bladder's comp!!

pfclassof61
28-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Lassie you prize pundit! You know as well as I that it was your sidekick and fellow nasty piece of work, Chiswickmart, that laid into Harvey and incurred the wrath of his Dad.
And as for your salty diatribe I suspect that the nautical books that you refer are as near to the sea as you have ever ventured. I can only think of one kind of 'offing' that should apply to your good self.

P.S. Looked out for the Chinese girls again this am in Ventnor but have been unable to locate them for the moment. You said 'nubile' but I'm not too sure what that means, hoping it's something rude.

You have a most convenient short memory. Did you not comment 'Do you think Harvey is still sleeping?' No wonder his Da lept to his defence! Such a cruel, cruel thing to say in view of what poor Harv was enduring.

And the nautical 'book' to which you refer (presumably 'Son of Trafalgar') is in fact no book but a collective for those born with salt in t

pfclassof61
28-07-2014, 03:48 PM
This feels like even more of a stitch up than Bladder's comp!!
This is known as 'jumping the needle' and does not qualify as an entry.

BlueAdder
28-07-2014, 03:48 PM
'lept' ? :D

pfclassof61
28-07-2014, 04:05 PM
'lept' ? :D
Yeah lept.
This, from Your Dictionary:

verb
The definition of lept is the past tense of leap which is defined as to jump from one thing to another.
An example of lept is describing how someone has hopped from one stone to another stone.

And it exists in the UK Scrabble Dictionary. (This is a game for people who have a wide vocabulary and can spell)

Are you and Skulls school contemporaries? :)

Southerndown
28-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Is this thread worth reading through from the start, can somebody tell me, cheers?
Tbf it doesn't look promising!

Scoular1
29-07-2014, 10:51 AM
So what was the mistake then,you cast off without revealing same,are you trying to needle me

Scoular1
29-07-2014, 10:56 AM
I can still remember as a nipper having to hold skeins of wool whilst Mum turned them into usable balls of wool. Friggin hated that job.Sits along side folding sheets,when she would tug them so hard she would pull them out of my ****y hands.

What chores did you dislike as a nipper

pfclassof61
29-07-2014, 11:01 AM
What chores did you dislike as a nipper

Did you know 'nipper' is a nautical term? :)

Scoular1
29-07-2014, 12:12 PM
As is Brass Monkey

lovedeanblue
29-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Free gangway is now open was one of my favourite Naval pipes, however as for Nipper

Short rope used to bind a cable to the "messenger" (a moving line propelled by the capstan) so that the cable is dragged along too (used where the cable is too large to be wrapped round the capstan itself). During the raising of an anchor the nippers were attached and detached from the (endless) messenger by the ship's boys. Hence the term for small boys: "nippers".

BlueAdder
29-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Is it 'Swing the Lamp' week?

lovedeanblue
29-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Yes I have a few dits I could tell as would any of the old salts. Must start to think about heading down for Micks soon. Now doubt the Eastern Rd will be chocka

Corkhead
29-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Please give Corky's Corner a wave and put a cone out for my parking space for the Newport game. XD