PDA

View Full Version : Our new National Anthem

xchurchVilla
28-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Just been watching the Commonwealth Games and we won a gold. "and now for the National Anthem of England..."

"And did those feet in ancient times etc"

When did Jerusalem become the English National Anthem?

When we were getting married last year and we met with the vicar to discuss hymns, we proposed Jerusalem as one of our hymns to which the vicar looked dismayed. When I asked her why she said, "did those feet in ancient times walk upon England's mountains green? No they most certainly did not!" Bless her O:) XD

MissWinnie
29-07-2014, 03:29 AM
Do you know what the reason for changing our anthem at the Games, Churchy?

yubbywelch
29-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Because you couldn't use the Australian anthem.

bongosdad
29-07-2014, 10:29 AM
It should be land of hope and glory. Much better song. I don't really understand how you can change a national anthem and why the english sing God save the queen anyway. That's the British anthem.

ozfan
29-07-2014, 10:44 AM
why the english sing God save the queen anyway. That's the British anthem.

I'll take a stab. Because she's the queen of England?

bongosdad
29-07-2014, 11:28 AM
why the english sing God save the queen anyway. That's the British anthem.

I'll take a stab. Because she's the queen of England?[/quote]

Well why have the same anthem as the British anthem. Maybe the British anthem should change. I'm sure some Welsh players in the lions refused to sing it.

xchurchVilla
29-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Do you know what the reason for changing our anthem at the Games, Churchy?

I can only assume that it was done because God Save the Queen is the British anthem and as all the other home nations have their own anthem that it was considered appropriate that England had one too

Arran007
31-07-2014, 12:10 AM
You learn something new every day, up until these games I had always thought the Aussie national anthem was 'Waltzing Matilda' and Scotland's was 'Donald, wheres your trousers' ;D