PDA

View Full Version : advice please...

redgreggie
29-07-2014, 10:06 AM
I know this is on the wrong board...but at least it will get viewed on here...

I bought my computer from a small shop in Batley, the guy builds what you request and I get good after sales service from him.

if anythings goes wrong with mine he will come up and if he has to take it away to repair he will supply me with a computer to keep me going...with being housebound it's my lifeline.

I was operating on Windows xp but started to get problems, he has put me a new hard drive on and windows 7, it's all running fine...

I use to close the whole system down, just leaving the router turned on, he suggests that I should leave the processor on all the time and the router and just turn the monitor off.

is this definitely sensible?

I do rely heavily on the guy, but as this is completely opposite to what I use to do I think I ought to ask for advice.

thanks

ray...in Batley.

Rotherhamowl10
29-07-2014, 10:44 AM
It's up to you Ray.

The idea that it's harmful to shut your computer down every night is a myth. I would only suggest doing it if you wanted your computer to work while you sleep (downloads, perform updates)...and you might save a few pennies on the 'leccy bill by turning it off.

If it takes an age to start up, then put it in sleep mode instead of shutting down.

Hope that helps :)

redgreggie
29-07-2014, 12:09 PM
cheers for that Rotherham, it's always best to get further advice.

I really was getting problems from XP, Windows don't support that any more, so I'm glad that I'm on 7.

my guy never sets up iTunes for me though and making sure that I have all my tunes in the library is always a concern...for some reason my music is in more than one location.

ray...in Batley.

Rotherhamowl10
29-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Happy to help with anything Ray.

You should be able to drag and drop all your music into your iTunes folder. The link I've put on might be helpful.

If you have any issue with anything I'll provide you with my email address. I'm quite 'IT savvy' as the young'uns say... - view external link (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1473)

redgreggie
29-07-2014, 01:28 PM
thanks for that Rotherham, I shall bear that in mind.

ray...in Batley.

helmut_rooster
29-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Ray,

To help you from the start I would highly recommend setting a system restore point.

1.Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2.In the left pane, click System protection. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4.In the System Protection dialog box description, and then click Create.

Give to this point eg: "Working".

Once complete, you will see the message:

"The restore point was created successfully"

If say 6 months down the line your PC starts to run slow etc, then click the start button and type in "system restore".

You will then see a box appear with "restore system files and settings"

Click next, then select which point you wish to restore to eg: "working"

Also install Microsoft Security Essentials a free soft

helmut_rooster
29-07-2014, 09:12 PM
As for powering on/off the PC, I believe with laptops you use more power shutting them down then powering them on, with a laptop just shut the lid, with a PC obvious don't close the lid (or turn the monitor over XD ) I personally always shut a PC down, I see no benefit to leaving a PC on.

Don't really get much time to post on here these days, but if I can help you Ray I will.

Cheers.

redgreggie
30-07-2014, 08:41 AM
thanks for that, it all looks very good advice.

isn't that the beauty of the internet, and good people that are only too willing to help...when the politicians go on about people working together they ought to take a look at these kinds of message boards...

I was going to put my thread on the O/T page ...but sometimes it just does feel a bit like ...'talking to myself':D

ray...in Batley.

Katchouro
30-07-2014, 12:29 PM
If you ever do take Hulmet's advice and reset your PC to an early system restore point make sure to back up any files such as word documents, jpgs to a CD Rom, memory stick etc as everything will be lost between you making the system restore point and reverting back to it.

And absolutely no reason to not shut down a desktop overnight. I've only ever heard that suggested by big companies / organisation who perform updates and maintenance on the systems overnight.

I agree that Microsoft Security Essentials is also a must for good PC housekeeping. But before downloading it get your PC guy to remove any existing security you might have to avoid system conflicts.

redgreggie
30-07-2014, 12:48 PM
thanks for that Katch...I'm STILL annoyed at how you referred to me the other day though...

but I accept your attempt to 'smooth things over'

ray...in Batley.

Katchouro
30-07-2014, 01:44 PM
If Evra and Suarez can make up and shake hands I'm sure we can Ray.

Come here and let me give you a big old cyber hug.