PDA

View Full Version : Know anyone in this 1976/1977 picture?

spionkop
09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
You can include yourself. Taken from Blues news January 1977 programme. I was at the match and I think we lost but no doubt Mirkwood will know the score and the teams? Happy times.

http://i59.tinypic.com/famqnn.jpg

Rg

Mirkwood
10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Always happy to oblige SK

BCFC 2 ManYoo 3. Att: 35,316

Blues: Latchford, Rathbone, Styles, Kendall, Gallagher, Want, Jones, Francis, Emmanuel, Hibbitt, Connolly.

Scorers: Francis, Emmanuel

aKROKiwi
10-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Who was Rathbone Mirkwood - I don't remember him

bluesince62
11-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Mickey Rathbone Kiwi.
An academy product, local lad and a Blues fan and I remember him playing for us. Very quick and athletic player but suffered terribly with matchday nerves, so much that in the end Blues bombed him out, so in awe of TF he reckons he never actually managed to hit him with a pass as his knees turned to jelly being on the same pitch.
Shame as they had big hopes for him but he never quite overcame his nerve problem as a player.
Went on to be a top club physio with Everton and Moyes.
If you ever read one football biography - read his. Excellent read especially as he is ex Blues and still a fan. Covers his times in the lower league, his alcohol problems and his rise as a physio.

KRO

bluesince62
11-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Here's a mini review by one of our own. I forgot to say that the book is full of typical football humour too.

KRO

Linky:- - view external link (http://www.oftenpartisan.co.uk/archives/2398/book-review-the-smell-of-football-by-mick-baz-rathbone.html)

spionkop
11-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Agree with you BS62 about the book - not a bad read. He was so cowed by the constant booing he got from so called Blues supporters his confidence was shattered.
He restored his career at Blackburn and was a star coach. Shame on us!
Rg

spionkop
11-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Anyone think the guy in the front row with the hair and the moustache looks a lot like Alan Campbell? Probably having a day off!
Rg

bluesince62
11-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Agree with you BS62 about the book - not a bad read. He was so cowed by the constant booing he got from so called Blues supporters his confidence was shattered.
He restored his career at Blackburn and was a star coach. Shame on us!
Rg

I think the pressure of playing for 'his' club and being on the same pitch as Francis was too much for him, shame. The treatment he received off his 'own' fans as well was a low point for us as fans. I think now Blues crowds in general are a lot more forgiving, especially to one of their own.

KRO

spionkop
11-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Getting back to the photograph as well as Alan Campbell look at the back left and it could be Trevor Hockey or Bob Latchford and immediately below is TF.
Did the Beatles nick this as an idea for the Sgt. Pepper album?
And the handsome chappy with the glasses, in the front row, has the look of the General from his days as a lad don't you think?
Rg

bluesince62
12-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Far too good looking to be General, Spion.

Plus I think General was in his 50's, back then.

KRO