PDA

View Full Version : Yubby's outback adventures

yubbywelch
18-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I have already shared in previous posts some of my experiences out west, but I've had some interesting encounters recently.

So I thought I'd start a new thread for anyone who could be bothered reading.

So once upon a time... Just kidding.
Last week I working on a site servicing fire fighting equipment in area of approx. 5km2 comprising of over 30 buildings and I come across an old grey kangaroo grazing on what limited grass was available(Queensland in another devastating drought).

Now this old boy is old; very very old, a couple of times he didn't move at all whilst standing upright, I thought he was dead, but sure enough he'd move.Once I reversed my vehicle on one part of the site in which Greyaroo was directing behind me lying down, HE didn't move (he's probably deaf and blind)

Later on in the week I was doing some finishing touches when I crossed paths with the old boy.
He was smack bang in the middle of a walkway, when I stopped and said to him "you think you own the place don

bongosdad
19-08-2014, 07:54 AM
One foot away is amazing. I'm surprised he didn't punch you. Just a growl up that close is him probably saying "no funny businesses".
Good story yubby.

yubbywelch
19-08-2014, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't say amazing Bingo.

He's very old, probably blind, and if he had a history of attacking, the mines workplace health and safety would've removed him by now.

I have heard a story that old roos come close to humans just before their about to die.

bongosdad
19-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Are you classed a full human though? Still a good story though. I'm impressed you went that close. My friend lived in Australia and drove across it with his lady friend. He saw a Kangaroo and walked very slowly to see how close he could get. He got quite close and it stood up, said it was about 7 foot tall and my mate ran back to the car.
He said the Kangaroo looked hopping mad.

If Wayne Rooney had children with one you would get a Kangarooney.

stateside
20-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Very cool. Aren't you getting a little old grey yesself? It was possibly just old grandma outside her house annoyed at this old bear that keeps coming up to her

ozfan
20-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Gotta watch those crusty old Roos. Bad tempered and too old to get the chicks.

Which is why they're bad tempered.

yubbywelch
21-08-2014, 06:30 AM
1000klms driving back home in 10hrs, nothing exciting, more dead roos than alive ones (good for me)
But now the roads have one more dead bird. :(

So my outback adventure this week was in a shopping centre.

I was leaving Coles with my goodies for the drive home, (cheese and bacon rolls, snickers, white chocolate and macadamia biscuits and muesli bars)

When this salesman called me over to sell me some manly body products, which, I of course declined.
BUT this former Israeli tank commander(I kid you not) started giving me some after shaving balm, smelt great and seemed to do the job, but once I told him my wife had already bought me some I'd already been using.

So he then started to rub my hand with a soultion(never once losing eye contact, which I returned fire, which was very hard, he had eyes that could see straight into my soul)
The lotion made my one hand soooooo smooth and he said its a chick magnet.

I declined, he then said he knew I loved his product but he'd give me a manag

dazzyo-villa
22-08-2014, 08:02 PM
XD XD Brilliant Yubbs..

Umm I've just been camping and it was late and the Wife and kid were in bed and I was outside having a beer n got the fright of my life when I felt something run over my foot...

... quickly grabbed my torch out my pocket like a gun slinger and zoomed in on the enemy..

.. only to find a hedgehog sniffing about XD

yubbywelch
22-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Love it Dazzy.

Camping over here, the main interruptions we have are goanna's during the day and possums at night time.

And if you haven't cleaned up your campsite, usually birds making a mess at day break.

0_drunkenbushman_0
23-08-2014, 06:25 AM
I once had a stand off in the drive way with a possum...it wouldnt move and I wasnt game to walk past it.

Love the outback adventures Russel Coight.

yubbywelch
23-08-2014, 09:37 AM
How good was Russell Coyte!

bongosdad
23-08-2014, 07:04 PM
keep an eye out for bigfoot.

MissWinnie
28-08-2014, 12:04 AM
[quote="yubbywelch"]1000klms driving back home in 10hrs, nothing exciting, more dead roos than alive ones (good for me)
But now the roads have one more dead bird. :(

So my outback adventure this week was in a shopping centre.

I was leaving Coles with my goodies for the drive home, (cheese and bacon rolls, snickers, white chocolate and macadamia biscuits and muesli bars)

When this salesman called me over to sell me some manly body products, which, I of course declined.
BUT this former Israeli tank commander(I kid you not) started giving me some after shaving balm, smelt great and seemed to do the job, but once I told him my wife had already bought me some I'd already been using.

So he then started to rub my hand with a soultion(never once losing eye contact, which I returned fire, which was very hard, he had eyes that could see straight into my soul)
The lotion made my one hand soooooo smooth and he said its a chick magnet.

I declined, he then said he k

MissWinnie
29-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Yubby, it just occurred to me. Does purchase of aftershave balm mean that you no longer have your dodgy beard?

yubbywelch
29-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Dodgy beard lasted about 6 weeks, then I'd had enough.
already getting warmer, so shaving 3 or 4 times a week.

MissWinnie
31-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Much better, bro. Beards, dodgy or otherwise, not good.

yubbywelch
09-09-2014, 03:47 AM
A not so exciting Yubby Coyte outback adventure update.

Getting bloody warm, must be pushing mid 30s today, humidity a little higher than usual with about 20mm of rain over the weekend.

I've been on roster out here for almost a year now, And I must admit birds aside I thought I would've hit a roo by now, a couple of close calls.

I've almost hit a rabbit, a few huge eagles, a turtle, seen dead echidnas, dead pigs, dead fox, and even had the occasional grazing cow on the medium strip.

But on the weekend, 50klm from the nearest town, I almost hit...

none of the mentioned above, but a bloody...

CAT!

Seriously, a feline, it annoys me that people, who don't want to look after their pet, so they chuck em out in the middle of the stix, so they can kill our native wildlife.

Arghhhhhhh.

MissWinnie
09-09-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm curious where you nearly hit a turtle, Yubby?

I've heard cats are a huge threat to bird wildlife in Australia?

yubbywelch
10-09-2014, 12:39 AM
On the main drag between 2 of my main mines.
100 KLM speed limit, and this turtle wants to cross the road. (water hole beside the road, a run off from one of the dams.)

Cats do a lot of damage, so do introduced species like cane toads.

dazzyo-villa
10-09-2014, 08:17 AM
:D love this thread yubbs..

Well my 'out in back garden adventures' lately consist of clearing away rat/mouse heads that one of my cats keep leaving as a present.. :O

yubbywelch
11-09-2014, 11:37 PM
I love it when cats do their job around the house, my mums cats cry's at night when it's killed a mouse, it stops when you come and see how clever he was, then by morning mouse gone.

IN HIS BELLY.

yubbywelch
11-09-2014, 11:43 PM
My 10 hr trip home was uneventful , which is a good thing, only 2 fatalities.

2 butterflys. :( (what is the last thing that goes through a butterflys mind before it hits my windscreen?...it's butt. ;D)

(my mate laughs because I drive 10hrs straight to my kids school to pick them up.)

MissWinnie
12-09-2014, 12:17 PM
I love it when cats do their job around the house, my mums cats cry's at night when it's killed a mouse, it stops when you come and see how clever he was, then by morning mouse gone.

IN HIS BELLY.

I'm on the meeces side, Yubby.

I woke up one night to find a young rat sitting looking at me in my hall, which I managed to chase into a corner and trap in him a box before releasing him safely a little way away outside.

I then called a rat man to try and work out where it had got in which he did and duly blocked up. He was most impressed at my rat catching skills UNTIL I told him I had released it as I felt sorry for it - he had been planning on having it ssshh exterminated! Cue much eye rolling and sad, disbelieving, shaking of head from said rat catcher.

MissWinnie
12-09-2014, 12:24 PM
My 10 hr trip home was uneventful , which is a good thing, only 2 fatalities.

2 butterflys. :( (what is the last thing that goes through a butterflys mind before it hits my windscreen?...it's butt. ;D)

(my mate laughs because I drive 10hrs straight to my kids school to pick them up.)

RIP little butterflies. In the next stage of your journey may you be able to avoid crossing paths, and especially highways with loud mouth Aussies that insist on telling the most terrible jokes. :heart: I'm kind of hoping for the same thing myself. ;D

yubbywelch
12-09-2014, 01:20 PM
But Oz is a Kiwi now. ;D

yubbywelch
16-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Another 10hr trip completed without a hitch, almost his a little echidna though, but I didn't see one roo, not that I'm complaining.

Australia is definitely the sunburnt country.
The colours out here are fantastic, I need to stop and get some decent photo's, the oranges, yellows and reds of the ground, sunset and sunrises, the blues, purples and blacks of the sky, rivers and lakes. The browns,green and greys of trees, grass and hill sides.

I'll try to get some decent photo's up.

dazzyo-villa
16-09-2014, 02:57 PM

IN HIS BELLY.

Yes I do.. spiders >:)

MissWinnie
18-09-2014, 09:31 AM
I like spiders.

Preferably outside of cat's tummies.

I'm shocked at you Mr Owen! :O

yubbywelch
18-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Car 1

http://i62.tinypic.com/5ycfp.jpg

yubbywelch
18-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Skippy 1

http://i61.tinypic.com/34xqp2s.jpg

yubbywelch
18-09-2014, 10:31 AM
http://i59.tinypic.com/2sb1sa0.jpg

yubbywelch
18-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Not my car, some miner hit Skip (approx. 8ft(standing upright) and my guess 80kg) the biggest dead red I've seen up here.

The car is parked within 40m of the roo

ozfan
18-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Did he back into it as well. Don't go showing dead roo's to the poms you know how they get. :D

when I was a young fella I sold video's all over outback QLD in one of those big commercial vans maybe a commuter. One night I was slip streaming behind a road train chatting on the radio when boom! A big red punched a hole through the front. Took out the heater box and left a gaping hole for the winter desert air to envelop me. Ended up propping up the engine cover with a stick to get some warmth.

Two hours later I pulled into Rocky at a roadhouse just when a bus load of Japanese tourists were out stretching their legs. One came towards me gesturing to others and pointing at the front of the van. When I walked around for a look it seemed that some of the kangaroo was still attached along with lots of blood and bits of fur sticking out of places. So for the next ten minutes I posed next to the damage in my Akubra hat trying really hard to look like crocodile Dundee XD

MissWinnie
18-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Don't ever try to go selling holidays down under to Poms you two - we prefer our Mr Red Roos happy, bouncing, and in one piece - if it wouldn't be too much trouble, of course.

Yubbs, I cannot believe you stopped to take photos - some days I really struggle to believe we are actually related. Shakes head sadly.

Oz only fairs slightly better in this one by want of a funny story (though not funny for Mr Red Roo) and looking cute in an Akubra hat.

But not much better. :P

yubbywelch
18-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Good story Oz. I remember a trip to Isa (Mt Isa) I hit a bird, when I stopped for fuel 300ks later I removed the little guy from the grill and put him in the bin at the servo.

Hey sis I haven't killed a too yet. Only Oz has, and has he killed more?

yubbywelch
19-09-2014, 01:37 AM
Oz, in regards to your query. I thought the too had gone over the car and damaged the rear?

Winnie I was going to take a dozen photos today, now that red is a sea of colours spread over 5 meters after being hit again last night.

MissWinnie
19-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Yubby, now that is just gross!! I might have had to tell mum and dad if you'd posted that one. :(

Note to self. Make appointment for DNA test ...

yubbywelch
19-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Hey I didn't take the photo.

Too much traffic. ;D

yubbywelch
19-09-2014, 08:54 PM
In America, I believe they are encouraged to take their road kill home and eat it?

ozfan
20-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Oz, in regards to your query. I thought the too had gone over the car and damaged the rear?

Winnie I was going to take a dozen photos today, now that red is a sea of colours spread over 5 meters after being hit again last night.

That's not good outback decorum and dangerous.
Driver at least should have dragged it off the road.

yubbywelch
20-09-2014, 09:44 AM
;D

Funny enough Oz it was off the road.

yubbywelch
21-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Dog walking.

So my shift up here is 80hrs over a week and a half, allowing me every 2nd weekend back in Brisvegas with my 3 princess's.

So when I am up here the weekend is not to be worked so I go and stay at my friends place in a town called Mooranbah.

My mate has a blue heelerd Dusty, and I regularly take him for some exercise on the local sports fields. This weekend just gone, we went out mid morning with the sky typically covered with a predatory instinct I thought they where a type of kite(bird) so half way through our exercise, I started to throw a tennis ball, in which dusty's main aim in life is to stop any ball from moving.

The last throw, Dusty took off in the wrong direction the ball landed only...

yubbywelch
21-09-2014, 07:20 PM
To be swooped upon, and to be never seen again.

Dusty is still looking now. :)

yubbywelch
21-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Amazing, there is water falling from the sky.

Is this snow?

yubbywelch
24-09-2014, 01:40 AM
I get to drive back home tomorrow knowing I have an extra week with my girls

Hmmm Yubby's fathering adventures.

yubbywelch
24-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Wether its the warmer weather or the decent drop of rain on the weekend...

Snakes are on the move again, almost used one as a speed bump this arvo.

MissWinnie
24-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Ha ha! Good story re the tennis ball and the Kite, Yubby. Poor Dusty. I hope you got him a new ball.

Have a great week with your girls, bro, and hope you (and Australian wildlife) have a safe drive back home.

yubbywelch
25-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks sis, and will do.

Drive was great, hopefully the photo's I took come out.

So with my drive back, I had very close encounter with a Roo, but my thousands of hours of Mario Kart with my kids came in handy when I found myself on the opposite side of the road to miss the projectile.

Only 1/2 hour later Mario Karting skills were used again to miss a slow moving red shell that resembled an echidna.

3 hours down the road and a truck driver obviously didn't have the same time spent on the Nintendo when he collected 1 of 2 pink galah's.

The sad thing was, when the galah hit the side of the road his mate landed beside him ,and all I thought was "cmon bro; he just brushed you" :(

yubbywelch
08-10-2014, 04:13 AM
I hate driving back up here after a holiday (3months to go, hopefully)

Easy safe drive, but driving to site Tuesday morning I almost found a slow moving speed bump.
A koala, first live one I've crossing a road.

Missed him though.

I found out today, that if you swerve to miss wildlife, and crash, insurance companies won't pay. So some blokes up here only slow down.

MissWinnie
09-10-2014, 03:44 AM
The only wildlife I've ever hit is a rabbit. I did swerve to try and avoid it (but failed :blue:). It was an isolated country road along which I was driving at night, but afterwards I got told off by various people for swerving, along with tales of really serious accidents and injuries caused by people doing the same thing. Really hard not to do though - just instinctively try not to hit animals - don't think about it ...

yubbywelch
09-10-2014, 03:51 AM
I don't panic swerve, and only venture on the other side if no other cars are present.

ozfan
09-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Once I had to swerve three times to hit a Koala. If you get them in the right spot you can launch them back into the Eucalyptus trees.

MissWinnie
10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
XD Mr Ozfan, you have the ability to make me laugh, even when I know I shouldn't. :P

yubbywelch
11-10-2014, 03:31 AM
Brilliant!

I mean that's sooooo wrong.

ozfan
11-10-2014, 09:30 AM
There's hope for me :D

yubbywelch
13-10-2014, 08:29 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/23kp2mw.jpg

yubbywelch
13-10-2014, 08:31 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/ra0phj.jpg

yubbywelch
13-10-2014, 08:33 AM
My camera on my phone doesn't do the visions justice.

First piccie was a sunrise trying to burst through a morning fog.

The second is a sunset, the colours out west are fantastic.

MissWinnie
14-10-2014, 07:01 PM
The sunrise looks like a fireball explosion in the distance, bro. They must have been amazing to watch in real life.

Much better than my inept attempts at taking sunrise/sunset photos on any camera.

Love sunrise/sunset picies. Thanks for sharing, Yubby.

yubbywelch
15-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I thought that as well, and was thinking about starting a thread where you had to guess what happened.

And no probs, sis.

yubbywelch
16-10-2014, 08:35 PM
collected a pigeon yesterday.

and 3 hrs from home $900 of fines. ooops

MissWinnie
16-10-2014, 08:54 PM
$900 bro? :O

What were you doing? Attempting to break the land speed record or something?

yubbywelch
17-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Nah.

True story, honest.

I was 1 hr in and I filled up with fuel and I checked the pressure of my tyres, I then noticed my rego was out of date by 2 months.

I wondered why I hadn't received my renewal notice, but thought I must of not changed my address,when I got this car and changed the ownership.

It was about the same time my wife and I broke up. And of course we sold the house a couple of months later.

Anyway 6 hrs later this policemen checked my car as I drove past and it came up as unregistered. He was just doing his job, but I was hoping for leniency.

yubbywelch
17-10-2014, 10:07 AM
But seriously how many times have the police heard I just found out this morning...

But it was the truth, and with a 10 hr drive and only 1/2 hr to play with, I wasn't going to try to fix the rego pior, but I had an hour after the school pick up which is when I had planned to renew the rego.

bongosdad
17-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Sorry to hear that yubby. 900 is harsh! You can buy a car for that.

MissWinnie
18-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Easily done Yubby, especially when you have a lot going on and moving home etc. As you say though, the oop will have heard it a thousand times before ... no way of telling who is genuine or not.

What bad luck that you'd been driving round like that for 2 months without a peep then the day you find out and plan to renew it then ... busted! Ouch!

yubbywelch
18-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Tis all good.

I'm not angry or bitter, and funny enough apart from the obvious, I've actually learnt other things from the experience

yubbywelch
15-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Last tour, I was working along side a lot of conveyor belts carrying coal to the main wash plant, and on this occasion I was servicing hose reels along a belt that had its walkway partially covered with coal.
Now as I was walking up a small incline I saw a large piece of coal sway, and as I passed the coal I paused and turned to look at the swaying coal which turned out to be a crow.
I called out to the coal like crow, which didn't move. Was he dead? had he been hit in the head by a piece of coal? was he sleeping? So I clapped my hands and yelled, this time the semi conscious crow half opened his eyes, and had a little look around, oblivious I was even there, even though I almost stood on him seconds ago and now stood 1 metre away.
The third time I stomped my foot clapped my hands and yelled, this worked the crow awoke startled, and within seconds realised he was looking straight at this odd looking coal miner.

Twas very very funny, and I wish I had of recorded it.