PDA

View Full Version : Ben Garratt

supercrewe
20-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Is he really good enough for league football ?

For a keeper who makes some good saves, he lets a heck of a lot of goals in !

MikeSB
20-08-2014, 11:24 AM
He can only be as good as the defence in front on him,can't he?

Arguably, he wasn't personally responsible for any of the goals last night?

steelydon
20-08-2014, 11:31 AM
However many goals Ben lets in he cant be worse than our other keeper. Very very poor.

fatfakir
20-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Ben was good enough to play ahead of both Martin and Phillips* last season, so he's clearly a decent player. Confidence won't be helped by being constantly exposed by a pish-poor back four, but at least he's getting a lot of shot-stopping practice...

*Yes, I know he wasn't fit enough to play regularly for much of the season, but Davis didn't bring in another keeper did he?

supercrewe
20-08-2014, 11:40 AM

What about the theory that the defence is only as good as the goalkeeper behind them.

He doesn't command his area, doesn't talk much, are we just missing the obvious because he came through the academy ?

DGFG
20-08-2014, 01:32 PM

What about the theory that the defence is only as good as the goalkeeper behind them.

He doesn't command his area, doesn't talk much, are we just missing the obvious because he came through the academy ?[/quote]

Which of the goals against did you think were Ben's fault last night?

AstonAlex
20-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I can't really see how Ben was to blame for any of the goals that sailed past him last night, unlike the Barnsley game where I think Shearer as at least partly culpable for both.

Garratt may not be the biggest but, for last night's corners and free kicks, he was punching the ball clear (OK didn't get to the third one and was fortunate) and showed clear intent to get rid of the ball. This forced Rochdale to stop putting their corners under the bar and swing them out wider and out of his range.

The goals came from shambolic defending by the Back 4 with no cover from any defensive midfielders. I don't see Grant as a defensive midfielder, where he seems to have played. He likes running with the ball and turning his man too often, which is pretty calamitous just outside our own box. Strange for him to be doing that with Turton and Ness bursting forward when both of those seem better suited to the task.

At least we seem to have found a half decent forward - Haber looked good and too

sacrewebleu
20-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Aston, isnt that what we had in the last 6 games of last season, a holding midfielder when we won 3, drew 2 and only lost to wolves when Chuks was sent off. It allowed Grant and Turton to push on, remember Grants goal at Shrews ? When we did concede in those games v shrews and preston, it was late with the game won, so the back 4 were being screened.

A poor second half v fleetwood and we panic , think the grass is greener and bring in a a "poor mans" charlie adams from stoke (I dont even rate charlie adam by the way).

ironically the team performed strongly away to Barnsley with the same 3 in midfield and we change it both in midfield and also in goal.!

KennyLuntsFanClub
20-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Your last line sacrebleu is exactly what I've been thinking since Saturday. Why we didn't stick with the same eleven that won comfortably AT Barnsley for a home game against the same team is very strange.
I also don't like loan players coming striaght in to the team as has happened with Ness. Admittedly Greg Leigh got picked up on the motorway and played (very well) last Tuesday, though he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory since. Jon Guthrie and Liam Nolan must be wondering what they have done wrong and I wonder if we are again heading in the direction of dressing room unrest?
BTW, we didn't really lose too badly to Fleetwood, and they're now top having played 3 won 3.
Worrying times already, and we lost 5-0 at Swindon last season with Alan Martin in goal. Please Ben, not Shearer.

alexmick
14-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Is he really good enough for league football ?

For a keeper who makes some good saves, he lets a heck of a lot of goals in !

Proved he was good enough for league football against the Vale. Not only did he save a penalty, the lad kept us in the game throughout that hectic second half. Garratt made several excellent saves and was my man of the match. He is still learning the game and if he is allowed to continue to be the club's number one keeper this season, then we will have a real gem on our hands.

Timmy58
14-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Couldn't agree more Alexmick. He should have been first choice all season.

AlexLeicester
15-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I don't know, but I suspect that Garratt was not playing every game because he is still young. Shearer is there to take the strain when we are playing twice a week.

Garratt is still going to make mistakes and he still needs to stop booting the ball into touch, as well as being more vocal in his area. He's a very good young 'keeper, but there's a lot still to improve.