PDA

View Full Version : Being Dad

yubbywelch
24-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Yesterday I took my 3 youngest daughters to see my 10 year old's favourite band/group, Justice Crew.

We waited for 2hrs watching other entertainment when I had not one of my proudest daddy moments.

My second daughter came to me and said Daddy I can't see. I said to her are the people standing in front of you blocking your view? She told me No, I explained to her she's probably just tired, so I told her close her eyes and rest.

I then realised she was clammy, (light sweat) and she was a little pale.

When I decided to get all my girls and go and get a drink and something to drink, It then clicked and I realised that my daughter was badly dehydrated.

When my eldest came from her position in the front row, she informed me that my second daughter was clumsy, and had almost fallen over a couple of times... :( father of the year stuff.

yubbywelch
24-08-2014, 06:20 AM
During this great daddy moment My daughters favourite group walked past them as I was purchasing drinks, so she was chuffed she got within a couple of metres of them.

yubbywelch
24-08-2014, 06:26 AM
During the pre-entertainment there were quality riders for a 1/2 pipe for bmx, scooter and skateboarders.

Then some dancers, beat boxer and break dancers came and performed at different intervals, they then choose a couple of random people from the audience to have a dance off.

Guess what father was chosen?

Alright stop laughing!

ozfan
26-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Ahh yubbs me ol'chum there's nothing like a bit of parent guilt to shake things up. Don't be too hard on yourself as good parenting doesn't mean being perfect.

I'd laugh more if I could see a video.

Oh Winnie wanted me to pass on a message as she cant log on but did read this post. I can't find what it was she wanted me to tell you but it was typically Winnie nice.

yubbywelch
27-08-2014, 10:15 AM
We're only human, I don't mind sharing when I stuff up.

MissWinnie
28-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks Oz.

Yes, would just have said pretty much the same as Oz. You're a good dad Yubbs - just a human one, like you say. When I was little, my mum mistook chicken pox for flea bites where I'd been hugging a donkey. Got told off for being grumpy (I was burning up) and got packed off to school the next day. 2 days later, she realised it was chicken pox when my brothers developed the same itchy spots.

I'm with Oz. Any incriminating videos? :D

Now lets see if this posts ...

ozfan
28-08-2014, 02:26 AM
We're only human, I don't mind sharing when I stuff up.

It's not really sharing in the Tavern these days.:D

It's become our private playground.

yubbywelch
28-08-2014, 11:32 AM
:D

AV still looks.

dazzyo-villa
28-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Ahh don't beat yourself up Yubbs, we all have these kind of moments, I know I have..

yubbywelch
29-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks all you peoples, but I'm just being honest, tis all good.

MissWinnie
29-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Yubby, I'm slightly more worried about whether your girls have recovered from witnessing their dad's dance off, than you. ;D

yubbywelch
29-08-2014, 12:42 PM
My attempt at the advised and recommended sprinkler was very poor, so I did a handstand.

and won me thousands of instant supporters.

;D

dazzyo-villa
30-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Well had my own moment yesterday..

My lads nearly 7 and loves playing Fifa, he is also getting into his music and quite often goes on Spotify or you tube on the lap top.

Anyway he's been listening to the new Fifa soundtrack and yesterday we was chilling out and he put it on and me and his mum just looked at each other as one song was quite explicit and f word was being reeled out.

We don't use that kind of language around him and even though I know he's heard it at school :blue: he knew it was wrong and was quite upset ( bless him)

Bit annoyed with myself for being lapse about what he does on the laptop.

yubbywelch
30-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Good on you Dad.

Our children we become adults, and what we allow and condone will be a big part of their eventual character.

Children thrive for boundary's, they will push very hard to find them, but they feel safe inside them. eg School, home, sporting teams, friends etc.

MissWinnie
31-08-2014, 07:35 PM
My attempt at the advised and recommended sprinkler was very poor, so I did a handstand.

and won me thousands of instant supporters.

;D

XD You big show off Dad. :D

MissWinnie
31-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Well had my own moment yesterday..

My lads nearly 7 and loves playing Fifa, he is also getting into his music and quite often goes on Spotify or you tube on the lap top.

Anyway he's been listening to the new Fifa soundtrack and yesterday we was chilling out and he put it on and me and his mum just looked at each other as one song was quite explicit and f word was being reeled out.

We don't use that kind of language around him and even though I know he's heard it at school :blue: he knew it was wrong and was quite upset ( bless him)

Bit annoyed with myself for being lapse about what he does on the laptop.

Ahh, it's kind of sweet that he got upset about it, Dazzy Dad. Sadly hear so much bad language from little ones ...

A couple of months ago, a friend's little boy and his mate had been hearing a rather naughty word beginning with the letter c bandied about at their infant school, and were desperate to know what it meant.

yubbywelch
01-09-2014, 04:37 AM
I hate that Chelsea word.

Don't tell them the meaning sis.

yubbywelch
23-10-2014, 04:07 AM
One of daughter's is super cautious. To the extent she gets scared, to almost panic attacks.

Once a grasshopper jumped on her, and freaked out.

I couple of weeks ago my mothers cat scratched her, another time a mouse was spotted in the corner of a room, both times she lost it, she cry's and shakes, and usually takes awhile to calm down

yubbywelch
23-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Last weekend I got her to help me with toasted cheese sanga's under the grill.

Whilst the grill was on she wouldn't go anywhere near it. I almost lost it, over something so simple to me (she hasn't been burnt before)

Any tips on how to improve her confidence with all things.

She is 10.

MissWinnie
24-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Yubby, I'm not a parent, so there are probably other people here who are more qualified/experienced to help, but just a couple of thoughts, based on trying to help people feel less anxious ...

Firstly - breathing. If she is in panic mode - just try getting her to breathe out. She needs to be breathing out for longer than she is breathing in, but when people are feeling panicky, counting the length of breaths is difficult to do, so just calmly try talking her into breathing out for as long as she can. She will breathe in again when she needs to! :)

In terms of if she has specific fears of something eg the grill, it is sometimes helpful to just try breaking a feared task into baby steps. Eg with regards to the grill pan ... (just off the top of my head, you may come up with better) Perhaps the first time, letting her turn on the grill, and adjust it to the right level, while you do the rest. Maybe next time, she can put the bread and cheese onto the grill pan, The next time, maybe

MissWinnie
24-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Yubby, just an afterthought. Would it be worth trying to find out if there is anything else worrying your daughter at the moment, just in case there is another reason for the nervousness?

yubbywelch
24-10-2014, 10:09 PM
We must be related Sis. I've done all of those things. (though patience aint my strong suit)

The insect freak out was 4 years ago, all new things are minor fear and is all to do with confidence.

And as with everyone everything is exaggerated when tired.

MissWinnie
27-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I've got lots of patience, bro. Probably too much at times - must have got your patience genes. I do think it's important to be patient with people when they are anxious about doing something though.

I'm guessing you've probably tried this too, but does she have any talent/real enthusiasm for anything that can be fostered and developed - a sport, music, art, etc? If she starts to feel confident/good about doing one thing really well, it may have a knock on effect on everything else?

yubbywelch
27-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Nah not really.

She's actually got really good mothering skills.

dazzyo-villa
02-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Proud Dad today.. James has been under the weather all week with a cold, left with a nasty cough and today insisted on playing for his team as they were short of players anyway and he didn't want to let them down :heart:

He battled through a tough game which they lost 8-4 but he scored 2 and set up another with a lovely pass.

One of his goals the ball came to him in the area, he knocked it onto his left foot and volleyed it home.

He was knackered after and filthy and came home and slept.. :heart:

Proper little superstar today he was..

MissWinnie
02-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Proper little trooper you've got there, Dazzy. :heart:

Well done to James - both for turning out to help the team and for his 2 goals and an assist. :star:

Hope he feels better soon. I went down with a cold this week too, and am still coughing. Lots of people with the same thing. But not all going out and scoring goals like James. B)

MissWinnie
02-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Nah not really.

She's actually got really good mothering skills.

Well, I think that's a talent bro. I know she's only 10 but maybe there's something out there for kids that would enable her to put her nurturing skills to good use? Does her school have a mentor scheme or something like that where she could be involved in - supporting the younger ones - something like that, or something in your church perhaps?

You might find that if she is taking on a caring role, her instinct to look after the younger ones, who may also be nervous about some of the same things, might prove to be stronger than her fears too?

ozfan
03-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Proud Dad today.. James has been under the weather all week with a cold, left with a nasty cough and today insisted on playing for his team as they were short of players anyway and he didn't want to let them down :heart:

He battled through a tough game which they lost 8-4 but he scored 2 and set up another with a lovely pass.

One of his goals the ball came to him in the area, he knocked it onto his left foot and volleyed it home.

He was knackered after and filthy and came home and slept.. :heart:

Proper little superstar today he was..

It's amazing what they can power through when they think they might miss out. I bet you wouldn't have got the same enthusiasm for a chore. ;D Lad sounds like he's got a bit of talent. If he plays for the villa you and I will become really good mates. :D

ozfan
03-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Last weekend I got her to help me with toasted cheese sanga's under the grill.

Whilst the grill was on she wouldn't go anywhere near it. I almost lost it, over something so simple to me (she hasn't been burnt before)

Any tips on how to improve her confidence with all things.

She is 10.

I think as she will be heading into her ****s it would need sorting. I would suggest some professional guidance with this, mate.

I actually know of a similar child with irrational fear.. The issue with her is she is cotton-wooled by her mother. " oh no you can't climb that tree you could fall and break your neck" "don't go any where near the oven it will burn you" and so on. The kid wasn't allowed a scooter because they were too dangerous. Not saying this is your case of coarse.

Behavioral therapist would be worth looking into.

MissWinnie
04-11-2014, 12:28 AM
[quote="ozfan" date="08:33 on 03 Nov

If he plays for the villa you and I will become really good mates. :D[/quote]

Dazzy, you can be my really great mate regardless of whether James ever plays for Villa. I like you for who you are. :heart: :D

Heads off feeling slightly superior to one slightly superficial and very demanding Antipodean gentleman, who shall remainless. O:)