PDA

View Full Version : A NEW LEADER?

maestro91
29-08-2014, 07:40 PM
If things continue as they are I was wondering what the general consensus would be re who would be best to replace Stuart McCall - any ideas?

Sup3rw3ll
29-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Dont need one, McCall is here to stay! ;D

sailorhuntersghost
29-08-2014, 09:35 PM
John McGlynn

sieb1886
29-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Yep - nae Plan B needed seems to be the in thing these days ! :D

steviex
29-08-2014, 11:00 PM
If things continue as they are I was wondering what the general consensus would be re who would be best to replace Stuart McCall - any ideas?

No one there is no vacancy and baring an utter collapse there won't be. When he does go we will bring in another inexperienced manager and hope for the best.

bheron
30-08-2014, 07:31 AM
I hope this only becomes an issue if or when Stuart McCall leaves on his own accord.

firparkloony
31-08-2014, 07:23 AM
I thought from the heading that you were referring to "on the field", there doesn't seem to be enough "leaders" on the park in my opinion, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone "chivying up" the rest of the team, perhaps this is an area to be addressed.

director
31-08-2014, 09:57 AM
SIMO VALAKARI AND JOHANTHAN TIN TIN !!!!

elf
31-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Tony Pulis is good at avoiding relegation!
He's got enough money so could do us a job for free!

maestro91
31-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Surely I can't be the only Well fan to see that McCall has no vision, tactical know-how and seriously lacks inspirational qualities - all of which we seriously need at this time. A change of leader and direction is badly needed.

Wishielad
01-09-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry, I can't agree with you on this. When we managed to retain most of last season's squad, I anticipated this season starting well. It hasn't but there are concrete reasons for this - injuries to players in key positions, some folk losing a bit of form and the pressure both of these exert on our threadbare squad. I think you indicated in another thread that you'd been going to games for 40 years. If you have you surely recognise that the team has been performing, consistently, at a level only reached very occasionally during the past 50 years. I'm frustrated at our performances thus far but I don't think the manager's to blame. I'd be tempted to ditch Black but I have to admit that's based on my dislike of Levein and hatred of Hearts, which are key features in Kenny Black's CV.

maestro91
01-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Sorry I still see McCall's success being on the coat tails of work done by other managers before him. He is being found out. His tactical know-how has always been abysmal - this was easily noticed as early as the cup final versus Celtic - which was woeful! Playing players persistently out of position when we had cover is another regular fault. Never has a Plan B - teams only need to score one goal and we have no idea how to fight back. He could not inspire a pub team never mind a professional team - which we are looking less and less like.

bheron
01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
[quote="maestro91"

markymfc
01-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Maestro. You are 100% correct. In all the time McCall has been there the signings Law and Higdon have worked out. I would even argue McFadden Ojamma and Anier didnt really cut it Daly Ainsworth Vigurs Lawson we can continue. Everyone else he inherited .Even if we had money I wouldnt trust him with it. The fact is we are a poor squad and thats down to McCall.

maestro91
01-09-2014, 06:46 PM
He inherited an improving squad on the up - who were at that time playing against better teams. When Mark McGhee was in charge the team were very fit and finished third. Brown brought in an excellent goalkeeper and had tactical know how and experience. The team were on the up - now McCall is in charge of his own signings we are in a downward spiral. His cup record is abysmal, we are no longer a passing team - this can be coached. The sooner he goes the sooner the recovery can begin!

bheron
01-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Maestro. You are 100% correct. In all the time McCall has been there the signings Law and Higdon have worked out. I would even argue McFadden Ojamma and Anier didnt really cut it Daly Ainsworth Vigurs Lawson we can continue. Everyone else he inherited .Even if we had money I wouldnt trust him with it. The fact is we are a poor squad and thats down to McCall.Sorry to disagree with you, but it is not down to Stuart McCall, it is down to lack of money.

markymfc
01-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Very poor arguement Bheron. You are basically saying there are no players of any ability in our price bracket. He obviously has money to pay duds like McHugh for seasons when every body and their granny can see hes a waste of space. We have given Lawson a two year deal and he only played his first full game for nine months . Two examples of the money we do have been used terribly. That is down to McCall nobody else. As far as other managers go they all brought guys in within our budget that made an impact. Blackman Jennings Coke Ruddy Randolph Porter Juckewicz and even Humphrey to a degree. His squad are rotten and there is no one to blame but McCall.Whilst we are at it who are all these injured players we are waiting on returning. Unless I have missed the news that we have signed Real Madrid reserves it will be the same dross as before . Anybody who believes in McCall long term is in for a shock. CLUELESS.

Wellup4it
01-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Sorry to disagree with you, but it is not down to Stuart McCall, it is down to lack of money.

I can't agree. Inverness, St Johnstone and Hamilton are all doing fine on playing budgets smaller than ours. What cash we have spent hasn't been spent entirely wisely.

Handsome_Devil
02-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Inverness collapsed from second to miss Europe last season, Hamilton have been in the lower league for the last few years and St Johnstone, while obviously doing brilliantly to win the cup, haven't finished above us in years either.

I appreciate we've been rubbish this season so far but it's a fraction premature to abandon our recent good spell and suggest others are fine while we're terrible? Or are we fine and they're terrible again if we win the next couple while they lose?

Handsome_Devil
02-09-2014, 07:50 AM
The team was winless in five when McCall took over and tumbling down the table, and between the McGhee and McCall eras, there was the cleansing experience of Jim Gannon - we were anything but on the up when he took over.

Some facts on McCall:

he is the only manager other than Sailor Hunter to secure two top two finishes.

he is one of only four managers, ever, to take Motherwell to the cup final.

he has one of the highest win percentages of any Motherwell manager.

McCall has plenty of flaws - and, come the end of the season, a change may well benefit both parties - but can we bin this ridiculous notion that he's a useless chancer living off the work of others? It has no basis in reality whatsoever.

So long as he doesn't get us relegated this season, he could lose in the first round of both cups and STILL be considered one of the most successful managers in over 100 years of our club.

markymfc
02-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Handsome I disagree. Based on your arguement we could be relegated in consecutive seasons and your answer would always be " he used to be good for us " . The past is gone its whats going on right now that matters. In any other walk of life being good at you job years ago wouldnt count for much if you were way under performing. Yes its a bad run but I just cant see him bringing us us out of it...The players he has just don't have it and thats down to him.

Handsome_Devil
02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Not at all - I've said various times that if he fails in the cups again this year, renewing his contract will be very much in the balance.

The past is gone, yes, but it's not the case that 3.5 years gets completely revised because of a bad few months.

McCall got us to a cup final - our second in 50 years, McCall had us performing with consistency in the league not seen since the 30s. You don't do that as a terrible manager and you don't do that for such a long spell purely on the back of others.

It's like suggesting McHugh having a good two months should earn him a new contract despite the fact he's done nothing for three years.

Sup3rw3ll
02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Just to pick up on the point re Ojamma and Arnier not being a success. Both contributed and setup a number of goals while here, and were picked up free to be sold for a combined half million quid. I'd say that was a success.

I put all this "not good enough" chat down to the fact McCall has been so successful, which has change perspectives of what's expected. i.e. That only picking up 3 points in august (remember it's only sept 2nd!!!) is not acceptable to some fans.

Three of the four defeats were against teams who will be challenging for the euro spots this season. The St J. game in particular being a close run game where a draw would have been fair. There has been injury issues, and i'm sure that once the squad sort themselves out. Come mid november after 11 games it will be much better.

I also believe that the form of Hamilton will deteriorate as the season progresses, and the high of being promoted wears off. Again, the season is 38 games long... not 4.

markymfc
02-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Well lets go through those points one at a time. Half a million pounds ? You information surrounding that figure is coming from where exactly as the club have never released any info on money ? " Some fans" you suggest are not happy with three points from 15 . That would suggest you are ( glad you are not managing us ) and thirdly I couldnt give a flying monkeys what Hamilton do or when they do it so you point is what exactly ? That we are doing fine and eventually Hamilton will be poor.

maestro91
03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
For goodness sake Handsome - He got to a cup final with a team built by McGhee/Gannon/Brown. Now almost all of those players are gone he has brought in players of his choosing and we are in a pitiful position - he he has to accept responsibility for his very obvious failings. We are not going to climb out of this hole we now find ourselves in with him in charge!

maestro91
03-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Why comment on other teams' future form - I am only interested in Motherwell's form. At no point apart from the St. Mirren game this season have we won and they are rank rotten - but should still have beaten us that day. I don't hold any confidence for our season because there seem to be too many players in the team who have not shown the inclination for the fight - especially the lazy Vigurs and 10 minutes a game Ainsworth! God help us if we are relying on McCall's vision.

Handsome_Devil
03-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Well with the team McGhee built, he himself got us knocked out by Dundee and St Mirren, Brown got papped by Inverness at the first attempt and Gannon didn't hang around long to even enter...even if you insist McCall used someone else's team, he did something.

And the side which broke the records last season contained a vast majority of his own players.