PDA

View Full Version : Dons in Europe - Programmes

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I've a forthcoming project coming up - in 2015.

First step first - I am looking to fill some gaps in terms of match Programmes involving Aberdeen in Europe since 1967.

I have most of our programmes from European games in good condition but I am missing the following:

v KR Reykevik (Away)
v Standard Liage (Away)
v Slavia Sofia (Away)
v Zaragoza (Away)
v Honved (Away)
v Celta Vigo (Away)
v Juventus (Away)
v B.Moenchengladbach (Away) played in Nurnburg
v RWD Molenbeek (Away)
v M.Dimitriv (Away)
v Fortuna Dusseldorf (Away)
v Eintracht Frankfurt (Away)
v Dinamo Tirana (Away)
v Lech Poznan (Away)
v Waterschei (Away)
v Porto (Away)
v Akranes (Away)
v Sion (Away) 1982 game
v BK Copenhagen 1903(Away)
v Barry Town (Away)
v Zalgiris Vilnius (Away)
v Torino (Away)
v Skonto (Away)
v Panathiniakos (Away)

There were Dons fans at some of these games even back to the ones in Bulgaria in the 1970's - people went on club flight. I know this as it was often mentioned in the home programmes thes

donsdaft
10-09-2014, 07:40 PM
I was in Torino.

No memory of ever seeing a program.

But then again I think I forgot my at one point.

eesh
10-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Was at the Panathinaikos game, looked for a programme, didn't see one, did get some sort of UEFA magazine that was on sale though.

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Ok, thanks. The Panathiniakos UEFA mag is not official I think - so looks like that game is also a NO as regards Dons programmes.

SMsW
10-09-2014, 08:30 PM
There wasn't a Juventus away programme but there is any unofficial magazine that mentions the game

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 08:35 PM
There wasn't a Juventus away programme but there is any unofficial magazine that mentions the game

I actually contacted some guy in Milan as regards this game. He said there was one and I have tried to track it down but no luck. Unofficial ones are common in Italy but its not what I am looking for ideally - but it depends how legit it looks via the front cover. I will be getting in touch with AFC eventually.

CaddyCarhandle
10-09-2014, 08:44 PM
You'll find wee pictures of the programme covers on some of the match pages on AFC Heritage website (example linked)

Should help determine which games from your list had programmes done - view external link (http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3599&squad=Senior&season=1983-84)

SMsW
10-09-2014, 08:45 PM

I actually contacted some guy in Milan as regards this game. He said there was one and I have tried to track it down but no luck. Unofficial ones are common in Italy but its not what I am looking for ideally - but it depends how legit it looks via the front cover. I will be getting in touch with AFC eventually.[/quote]

I am a collector too & there wasn't one. The unofficial one (which I have) looks decent though.

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 08:50 PM
OK. Its a little early but I would appreciate a scan of it and could pay for this - I understand if not. But I will get to you on this.

SMsW
10-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Im not at home now but put your email addy up

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
You'll find wee pictures of the programme covers on some of the match pages on AFC Heritage website (example linked)

Should help determine which games from your list had programmes done

Where a programme is 'not shown' on this site (I was aware of this site) does it mean you/they have not been able to find a programme?

SMsW
10-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Here is what it looks like - view external link (http://www.imageshost.eu/image/8Z8)

CaddyCarhandle
10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
No itwould likely just mean they havent got round to adding one...if indeed there is one

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Ok. Thanks for the Juve one - seems very unofficial.

Incidently, outside of our official UEFA adventures 1967-present we have played loads of European opposition throughout the years going back some time in friendly/challenge matches and these games will also form part of this project.

Obviously I am talking back to the 40's and 50's here as well but does anyone know off top of head European teams we have played in challenge matches - some of these I have programmes for but could anyone else list here any other teams whom have visited Pittodrie? For example we played:

Moscow Dynamo
Everton
Villareal
Eintracht Braunchsweig
FC Twente
Viking Stavanger
Man Utd
Arsenal
Blackburn
Coventry City
Middlesboro

EdmontonDandy
10-09-2014, 09:33 PM
You could probably add Man City to that list, nae sure of the year, 1966 I think. I also remeber us playing Gornik Zabrze from Poland in 1970, 5-0 win if I mind right. I know there was a programme for that game as I collected them at the time.

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Man City I think was 1973? - Willie Young and Denis Law played. Gornik never knew - will track that down.

EdmontonDandy
10-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I remember the '70s game but am positive we played them in mid-60's. Tony Book, Glyn Pardoe, Summerbee, Colin Bell all played, but I'm an aul bugger so memory nae what it was.

Ajja
10-09-2014, 10:06 PM
I have a box full of programmes in my garage. 98% of them are bog standard 'The Don' from league games between 1987 and 1990 and a load of away games in the same era.

Think I have one from a game against Fortuna Dusseldorf from around 1971 at Pittodrie ? does that sound right. Haven't looked at them since I was in my 20s.

Not a collector, just never chucked these away and my ma cleaned out her attic 5 years ago and dumped them back on me.

EuroMeister
10-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Fortuna Duseldorf is late 1970's (1978 I think). I have the home one but not the one from the game in Dusseldorf.

aurora_borealis
10-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Got 2 of the UEFA cup 2nd leg at home to Juve, nowt for the 1st leg tho

InLudoVeritas
10-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Got the Barry Town away programme, it didn't fare too well in the monsoon conditions that night though, it's more like papier-mache in parts. AFC Heritage site that Caddy linked has a pic of the front cover on its match report

As for friendlies at Pittodrie against European sides then Rapid Bucharest were here pre-season 2002, Brondby in January 2001 and Hamburg in 2003 for that fairly disastrous Centenary game

CaddyCarhandle
11-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Obviously I am talking back to the 40's and 50's here as well but does anyone know off top of head European teams we have played in challenge matches - some of these I have programmes for but could anyone else list here any other teams whom have visited Pittodrie?

Again, all that info is on AFC Heritage

Just set the filters to Competition Type = "All"; Competitions = "Friendly"; Venue = "Home"

Here's the non-Scottish teams who've came here in Friendlies, Testimonials. You'd also need to check thru other match types such as Anglo-Scottish, Texaco Cup etc

1860 Munich
Admira Wien
ADO Den Haag
Arsenal
Bahia
Bangu
Barnsley
Blackburn Rovers
Blackpool
Borussia Dortmund
Brondby
C. A. R. La Paz, Bolivia
Charlton Athletic
Chelsea
Coventry City
Crystal Palace
Eintracht Brunswick
Everton
Fulham
Glenavon
Glentoran
Gornik Zabrze
Hamburg
Hertha Berlin
Huddersfield Town
Ipswich Town
Le Havre
Leicester City
Liverpool
Luton Town
Manchester

EuroMeister
11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks all.

Again, if anyone has any of the aformentioned 'AWAY' Dons programmes I would like to get in touch and discuss a price for either A: Full colour scan of front page or B: Buy programme.

Full privacy assured.

Also, if anyone has copy of Gornik Zabrze programme for sale (friendly match 70's) I would also appreciate a copy.

As regards programme covers on Dons Heritage site - would it be possible to get a full pdf of those that appear? - Basically functionality is not available through the site to download a full copy only a small screenshot.

SouthRibbleRed
11-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Hi Euromeister

I was in Turin and no programme was issued.

I'm a collector and can email you scans of what I have.

In terms of non-issues that I know for certain, they are as follows -

Juventus, Molenbeek, Dimitrov, Torino, Panathinaikos.

Some of the earlier ones I think are also non-issues, but I can check with other collectors for you.

Juventus issue a monthly magazine, and have done for decades, called 'Hurra Juve'. The Aberdeen game was previewed in the issue prior to the game, with details of the game in the following issue. I have copies of both which I can email to you.

There are other Dons collectors out there with more comprehensive knowledge than me, who have built up excellent collections, and would know more about the earlier issues you want to know about.

Alternatively, Kevin Stirling the club historian should know for sure.

If you want any scans (no cost), please let me have your email address and I'll get in touch. Unfortunately I don't have any spare European

EuroMeister
11-09-2014, 01:25 PM
OK. I can reciprocate i.e. scan you some of rare ones I have e.g. Arges Pitesti away, Servette away - I don't know maybe you have these as they're are some going about.

Its not so much getting a copy via purchase simply a colour scan of front will help.

As mentioned, everything dealt with privately and in confidence. I don't sell programmes either.

jackdon
11-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I may have Waterschei (a) kicking about my folks house, if i find it next time i'm there, i will get in touch Euro.

redusa
11-09-2014, 07:17 PM
I want to start collecting some of the older programs I see on ebay. Are there good articles to read in the programs back then? Programs here across the pond usually have a lot of advertisements in them.

2stars83
11-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I may have Waterschei (a) kicking about my folks house, if i find it next time i'm there, i will get in touch Euro.

I've heard the Watershei away programme is worth a fair amount. Quite rare apparently.

*cue a'bdy posting "I've got een".

I collect programmes too, but my mate has scanned almost every competitive Euro game programme that is available. Sure he won't mind me posting these.

Anyway, Euromeister - here's yer Zalgiris Vilnuis, Barry Town and Fortuna Dusseldorf away.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2hzicki.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/21d04np.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2rc022o.jpg

swaddon
11-09-2014, 07:42 PM
They like their denim in Barry.

And their Sellick taps. >:(

EuroMeister
11-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks for scans.

Waterschei away programme must be worth some - never seen it listed anywhere but some Dons fans must have went to the game.

Other points - yes, find articles good. I find the articles in the old Dons programmes interesting if a blast from past. Alex Ferguson in one or two programmess fans who travelled to far off places, thanks them, and how they travelled. One fan from Aberdeen went to Marek Dimitirov in 1978 on his own via Instanbul and then back for game on Saturday in Premier League.

Aberdeen v Liverpool programme for example cost 30p - for a piece of club history in European Cup.

Some of the programmes look very good, looks of good pictures inside and interviews.

I can scan a few in time - some of the best covers.

hulldon
11-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Euro sister!
Am collector - one of several on forum - and have a fair bit of info regarding euro issues and nonissues. Will post tomorrow evening when I have some time. I only have 3 missing away Euro progs so can do some scans for you. Missing are Reykjavik , Honved and Waterschei - all very rare and pricey. Only ever seen pics of Reykjavik and Honved. Prices up to 4 figures!!!! Waterschei almost as much!! With email addy I can send some info.
Dave aka hulldon

BogBrush1903
29-03-2019, 09:39 PM
I was trying to find video footage of either of the matches against Dinamo Tirana when I stumbled upon this thread...

An interesting thread but what a shame the contributers no longer exist in this forum...

hulldon
29-03-2019, 11:23 PM
I exist!! Or at least I did the last time I looked!

Pacman1903
30-03-2019, 06:25 AM
I wonder why Euromeister is banned

Jackjarvis
30-03-2019, 08:48 AM
I was trying to find video footage of either of the matches against Dinamo Tirana when I stumbled upon this thread...

An interesting thread but what a shame the contributers no longer exist in this forum...

Indeed, I genuinely enjoyed reading thru that thread.

SF

BogBrush1903
30-03-2019, 09:48 AM
I exist!! Or at least I did the last time I looked!

So do you still only have three Euro programmes missing bearing in mind we've played a few Euro matches since then? Have you managed to source any of the elusive three?

ToonsClock4am
30-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Good thread and only right at the end did I realize it's 5 years old. Oh well, I'll post anyway...I very briefly had a Polish pen pal in the early 80s and he sent me over a copy of the programme for Lech Poznan. I also have Bayern away from the same season; I seem to remember it was quite big, as in almost tabloid size. Still got them back at the old place. Re the games v non Scottish opposition, I've seen no mention of West Ham and Southampton who, along with Man Utd, came north for a 4 team tourney over one weekend, summer of 1980. My dad took me to the first day where we saw the Dons beat the Hammers 3-0 and Southampton beat Man United in the "semis"...can't remember the score in this game. Older posters will recall West Ham had just won the FA Cup a few weeks previously and had a right good team, albeit they were in the old 2nd division (still the last lower league team to win the cup possibly??)...Brooking, Billy Bonds, Lampard Snr all played I'm sure. I have the programme for that as well, The Pittodrie Tourney I think it was billed as, something like that. Very memorable for an 11 year old! Who else attended? :)

ToonsClock4am
30-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Oh certainly should have added we pumped Southampton 5-1 in the final on the Sunday, unfortunately we didn't go, but I absolutely remember seeing the goals on North Tonight on the Monday...and the cup was made of glass!! I expect it's still in the trophy room!!

BogBrush1903
30-03-2019, 01:54 PM
Good thread and only right at the end did I realize it's 5 years old. Oh well, I'll post anyway...I very briefly had a Polish pen pal in the early 80s and he sent me over a copy of the programme for Lech Poznan. I also have Bayern away from the same season; I seem to remember it was quite big, as in almost tabloid size. Still got them back at the old place. Re the games v non Scottish opposition, I've seen no mention of West Ham and Southampton who, along with Man Utd, came north for a 4 team tourney over one weekend, summer of 1980. My dad took me to the first day where we saw the Dons beat the Hammers 3-0 and Southampton beat Man United in the "semis"...can't remember the score in this game. Older posters will recall West Ham had just won the FA Cup a few weeks previously and had a right good team, albeit they were in the old 2nd division (still the last lower league team to win the cup possibly??)...Brooking, Billy Bonds, Lampard Snr all played I'm sure. I have the programme for that as well, The Pittodrie Tourney I think it was billed as, something like that. Very memorable for an 11 year old! Who else attended? :)

Actually, with regards the non-Scottish list, Caddy mentions that it only includes friendlies and testimonials but I'm a bit suspicious that the list isn't altogether serious as a few teams raise an eyebrow. However, if it is serious, then he's also missed out Stuttgart, IFK Gothenburg and Billy McNeil's World XI (including Kenny Clements of Manchester City).

If Caddy still sneaks a peak, perhaps he could clarify?

BogBrush1903
30-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Oh certainly should have added we pumped Southampton 5-1 in the final on the Sunday, unfortunately we didn't go, but I absolutely remember seeing the goals on North Tonight on the Monday...and the cup was made of glass!! I expect it's still in the trophy room!!

I wonder if that footage still exists or if it got scrubbed like so much of Scottish football in the 1970s/early 1980s...For instance, I don't think and of AFC's home European games (and barely any of the away matches) from that period still exists.

I've only ever seen the Terry Mcdermott goal at Pittodrie in 1980 but nothing else of the Liverpool home game. Was that game televised live?

bucky1973
30-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Neither of the Liverpool games were shown live
Highlights of the 2nd leg sometimes pop up on ESPN sports channel

hulldon
30-03-2019, 04:01 PM
To update things .... i still need the three away Euro Programmes from Honved, Rejkjavik and Waterschei. Got a sniff of the Honved one last year but still too rich for my blood... sadly....

ToonsClock4am
31-03-2019, 08:52 PM
I wonder if that footage still exists or if it got scrubbed like so much of Scottish football in the 1970s/early 1980s...For instance, I don't think and of AFC's home European games (and barely any of the away matches) from that period still exists.

I've only ever seen the Terry Mcdermott goal at Pittodrie in 1980 but nothing else of the Liverpool home game. Was that game televised live?

I also absolutely remember North Tonight briefly flashing live to the teams coming out of the tunnel that night....before Coronation Street I expect.

BogBrush1903
31-03-2019, 09:48 PM
I also absolutely remember North Tonight briefly flashing live to the teams coming out of the tunnel that night....before Coronation Street I expect.

Is that referring to the mini tournament or the Liverpool match?

Coincidentally, I have a vague memory of an episode of Coronation Street in 1980 even though I was a mere whippersnapper at 5 years of age. It was the episode when everyone's favourite shopkeeper, Alf Roberts lost his wife Renee in a car accident. It really shook me up at the time...

ToonsClock4am
31-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Is that referring to the mini tournament or the Liverpool match?

Coincidentally, I have a vague memory of an episode of Coronation Street in 1980 even though I was a mere whippersnapper at 5 years of age. It was the episode when everyone's favourite shopkeeper, Alf Roberts lost his wife Renee in a car accident. It really shook me up at the time...

Liverpool match