PDA

View Full Version : My Birmingham

xchurchVilla
10-09-2014, 08:45 PM
63 Bus into town (or the Midland Red 144/143)

Aged 12 - Reddington;s Rare Records for ex Juke Box singles at 45p
The Diskery and Rockers.

aged 16 The Rum Runner on Broad St, afterwards into Manhattan opposite for a burger and the first place to have a Space Invader Machine.

Bus out of town 963 (or was it 693?)

Aged 18 Romeo and Juliet's on a Thurs night, Faces on a a Saturday night. A few beers in Sam Weller's, sometimes the Midland Hotel or the Hen and Chickens on the Hagley Road. Maybe the wine bar in Hurst St (down past Khan and Bell - The Hosteria?? Maybe the Ozzie Bar

Being a new romantic (cough!)

Working three nights a week behind the bar at the Night Out seeing acts like The Dooleys, Jim Davidson, Freddie Star, Tommy Cooper and The Nolans

The Beer Keller and the start of Ska

The Kohinoor Indian, The Aloka and a magician who was brill!

Night bus to Rednal and walking home to Rubery - often via a visit to The Himalaya.

bongosdad
10-09-2014, 09:24 PM
I got thrown out of Sam Wellers on my 17th birthday.

Then the 104 or 110 was my bus.

birminghamborn
10-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Although I left Brum 40 years ago, it is still home to me!

The Tulip Festival in Cannon Hill Park, Cadbury's Lido, HP Sauce, Ansell's and M&B, The Number 11 outer circle bus,

The Rumrunner and Sloopy's.

Rackhams and Lewis's

Oasis in Corporation St.

Harry Parkes sports shop in Corporation St.

St Dunstans in Kings Heath and St Thomas Aquinas Schools, blimey I could go on all night!!

The Billesley, The Swan in Yardley,The Hare and Hounds in Kings Heath, Shenley Fields Youth club,

birminghamborn
10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Reddingtons Rare Records was an often visited shop, but the Diskery was on another level, I first visited it in it's original home in Hurst St.

Great memories from times past!

birminghamborn
10-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Lets not forget the Old Railway in Curzon St?

ozfan
11-09-2014, 03:49 AM
The Tulip Festival in Cannon Hill Park

You managed to trigger a fleeting childhood memory with that, BB.

stateside
16-09-2014, 05:35 PM
BB. I worked at Harry Parkes. 79-82

birminghamborn
17-09-2014, 06:33 PM
It was a great shop for a Villa fan to work in Statesy, I bought my first Villa shirt there about 1968, in those days you only wore a Villa shirt to play football in, nobody would ever wear one to a match!

Oz,the Tulip festival was a yearly event in Cannon Hill Park, which all Brummies attended, there was a fun fair and lots of events over the weekend, Dutch girls in costume used to hand out Edam cheese, which back in those less enlightened days seemed like a very exotic kind of food.

Glad you still have memories of Brum.

stateside
18-09-2014, 02:33 AM
My friend at Harry Parkes, a brash re deader kidd Mark was a Blues fan. He always got a ribbing from 'arry.

One day he put his notice in because he got a better position at Sportsco. On his second day there the employees there threw him down the stairs!

Array gave him his old job back.