PDA

View Full Version : The Scottish Independence Referendum - How will it go?

Romanis
18-09-2014, 10:03 AM
A thread for the results and predictions for the vote today (Will be moved to AOB later)

Several hours to go before the polls close and the counting starts.

How will it end?

I hope it's a No, not because I don't think the Scots don't have a right to be independent, but because I just can't see them prospering under the SNP.

Alex Salmond is looking smug, I think the voters will give him a slap.

essexred52
18-09-2014, 10:21 AM
How will it go ?
Towards AOB board hopefully :D

45red
18-09-2014, 10:35 AM
If it's a no vote then, I think England,Wales and NI should hold a referendum to see if they want Scotland within the union

How can someone within a union not have a vote on the outcome of it ie the English welsh and ulster

i961pie
18-09-2014, 11:15 AM
If it's a no vote then, I think England,Wales and NI should hold a referendum to see if they want Scotland within the union

How can someone within a union not have a vote on the outcome of it ie the English welsh and ulster

In that case if we have a referendum on leaving the EU does the rest of Europe have a vote as well?

essexred52
18-09-2014, 01:33 PM

In that case if we have a referendum on leaving the EU does the rest of Europe have a vote as well?[/quote] always have to complicate things :D

Romanis
18-09-2014, 01:43 PM

In that case if we have a referendum on leaving the EU does the rest of Europe have a vote as well?[/quote] always have to complicate things :D[/quote]

He's right though

i961pie
18-09-2014, 02:35 PM

In that case if we have a referendum on leaving the EU does the rest of Europe have a vote as well?[/quote] always have to complicate things :D[/quote]

I do try-lol

Trickytreesreds
18-09-2014, 02:56 PM

I do try-lol[/quote]

You cannot compare the two yet. Though the eurocrats are working vigorously towards a United States of Europe, then you could.
The British union is a government elect from all its members and the power of decisions there in.
The EU, wants this to happen and strip down every border and red tape within it's members. It can't do that until it has full autonomy.
If ever there was a warning for the Euro licker

tricky1972
18-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Who cares?

RedBasie
18-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Dunno, but I hope it will be yes. That could be an end to people buying second homes in Scotland and the locals who have been bought up and live there being forced down south. It could also mean an end to the likes of Donald Trump who is buying up Aberdeenshire to be used as a vast golfing facility and to certain celebrities buying up the Scottish Highlands as a tax dodge. Also two ways of doing things will hopefully show up as how to or not to run a country. The answer to this is perhaps what the south of the border is frightened of. Actor Brian Cox made a very important point on Newsnight. The Scottish are setting a very good to the rest of the World on how settle very important and potentially volatile matters such as this in such a peaceful way.:star:

essexred52
18-09-2014, 07:07 PM
It's going to be a NO so can we get back to the footy,
Were top of the league :heart:

Romanis
18-09-2014, 07:12 PM
It's going to be a NO so can we get back to the footy,
Were top of the league :heart:

Oh dear, you're jinxing us as usual - were top of the league - means we won't be there come Saturday/

Romanis
18-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Anyway back to the referendum, I'm shocked that the media is NOT allowed to speculate about the result until the voting closes.

This is the 1st time in living memory that no exit polls can be taken.
Really a weird set of rules our Salmon has ordained:

1) Kids in school uniform can vote
2) Residents including other EU nationals can vote
3) No exit polls.

What's next? No independent counting of the votes, or count and recount until a yes is reached?

essexred52
18-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Anyway back to the referendum,*

AOB please

Can't stand this political cr*p

independence for es*** thats what i say >:)

Trickytreesreds
18-09-2014, 07:22 PM

AOB please

With the amount coming through Dover, you could be right XD XD XD

Romanis
18-09-2014, 07:26 PM

AOB please

Well it's a huge thing Es***, the 1st ever. And if it's a No, the next referendum might be 20-25 years away.

essexred52
18-09-2014, 07:32 PM
the next referendum might be 20-25 years away.

Thank god for that i'll be brown bread.

RedBasie
18-09-2014, 07:54 PM

AOB please

With the amount coming through Dover, you could be right XD XD XD[/quote]

If that post was anonymous I wouldn't expect a prize for guessing it's originator. Too obvious.

RedBasie
18-09-2014, 08:05 PM
[quote="Romanis"]Anyway back to the referendum, I'm shocked that the media is NOT allowed to speculate about the result until the voting closes.

This is the 1st time in living memory that no exit polls can be taken.
Really a weird set of rules our Salmon has ordained:

1) Kids in school uniform can vote
2) Residents including other EU nationals can vote
3) No exit polls.

What's next? No independent counting of the votes, or count and recount until a yes is reached?[/quote.

It's been speculating all along, by using opinion polls,telling us of the swings to and from and also the percentage of undecided and extrapolating how the undecided will vote. I know the Scots will regretfully chicken out. Pity really, we could do with a breath of fresh air.

Romanis
18-09-2014, 08:30 PM
If it's a yes, it could have a major impact on football as well, as far as law making goes.

Scotland as 1 of the 4 Home Nations are members of the rule making body - The IFAB - International Football Association Board.

The IFAB comprises 9 members - 4 Home Nations plus 5 FIFA appointees. FIFA has been rumoured to have long wanted to reduce the powers the Home Nations have, that's why there was no real interest in fielding a strong unified GB team by the associations for the London Olympics.

Once we compete as the UK or GB, FIFA will say the IFAB composition should be changed as well, with just 1 seat instead of 4. Now if Scotland becomes independent, they may no longer be considered a Home Nation (in fact they won't be legally). It would interesting to see if the 3 other FAs - Welsh, English and NI will move to have the Scottish FA stripped of permanent membership, or if FIFA proposes it, whether they will back the measure.

Trickytreesreds
18-09-2014, 09:14 PM
It's crap like this, that makes me wish they'd **** off. How many Scotsmen died under that flag?

http://i61.tinypic.com/ih1qth.jpg

RedBasie
18-09-2014, 10:14 PM
You could say how many Commonwealth people also died for that flag, but it didn't stop any of them going for independence.

tricky1972
18-09-2014, 11:08 PM
You could say how many Commonwealth people also died for that flag, but it didn't stop any of them going for independence.

Scotland isn't a colony, it's a part of the United Kingdom.

There is a huge difference between a country not having a right to self determination because it is controlled by a distant power and the Scottish situation. Essentially Scotland is just another region of the UK.

England has 1 MP for every 99.5k people
Scotland has 1 for every 90k
Wales has 1 for every 76k
N Ireland 1 for every 95k

So the English people have the least representation in the UK. Scotland is already over represented between Westminster and Holyrood.

In terms of population, Greater London and the 'Home Counties' is about 1.8 times the size of Scotland, Wales and N Ireland combined!

Does that area have the greatest political and economic strength of any area of the UK? Yes, that's how democracy works.

Greater Manchester, Lancashire an

Romanis
19-09-2014, 01:00 AM
Yougov President 99% sure Scotland has voted No.

Margin believed to be 54-46%

Romanis
19-09-2014, 01:04 AM
2 counties in, 2 counties No.

57-42% overall

Romanis
19-09-2014, 04:01 AM
A thumping win for No

Romanis
19-09-2014, 05:16 AM
As Carol Beer would say-

Computer says No!XD

The look in Alex Salmond's face in the back seat of his car - Priceless! !!

RedBasie
19-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Scotland isn't a colony, it's a part of the United Kingdom.

There is a huge difference between a country not having a right to self determination because it is controlled by a distant power and the Scottish situation. Essentially Scotland is just another region of the UK.

England has 1 MP for every 99.5k people
Scotland has 1 for every 90k
Wales has 1 for every 76k
N Ireland 1 for every 95k

So the English people have the least representation in the UK. Scotland is already over represented between Westminster and Holyrood.

In terms of population, Greater London and the 'Home Counties' is about 1.8 times the size of Scotland, Wales and N Ireland combined!

Does that area have the greatest political and economic strength of any area of the UK? Yes, that's how dem

RedBasie
19-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Before anyone gloats I would remind them that there is work to be done which is to deliver what was promised to keep Scotland in the Union. Well done those campaigned for Yes. An excellent campaign, but was not to be. - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VfoxVGO-mk)

essexred52
19-09-2014, 10:30 AM
This discussion should be on the Notts county board, this is a non footy thread and be transfered to AOB,

Political nonsense, please do your duties as promised and stick to the rules and move this cr*p

i961pie
19-09-2014, 12:13 PM
A thumping win for No

A win yes, but thumping? 45% of the people 1.6 million wanted out.
That is not a thumping-imo.

Romanis
19-09-2014, 04:09 PM
A thumping win for No

That is not a thumping-imo.[/quote]

Yeah but no but yeah but no but...

In our election context 55-45 is considered quite a hefty figure. No one party has won with this figure since 1997, was it? Or maybe earlier.

But votes for yes would be down if the voting age wasn't lowered to 16, and No too, if non-Scot residents were barred.

Romanis
19-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Salmond to resign, Sturgeon to replace.

There's something fishy going on in the SNP. ;D

Trickytreesreds
19-09-2014, 04:49 PM
A thumping win for No

That is not a thumping-imo.[/quote]

Yeah but no but yeah but no but...

In our election context 55-45 is considered quite a hefty figure. No one party has won with this figure since 1997, was it? Or maybe earlier.

But votes for yes would be down if the voting age wasn't lowered to 16, and No too, if non-Scot residents were barred.[/quote]
The 16 yr olds voting was an outrage really.

To young to drink or drive (quite funny really being in Scotland) yet old enough to decide the future of a country.
Children, riding on the same wave of euphoria as those silly kids under 16 signing up for the western front.
No idea of what their decision entails, or it's ramifications.
Kids that age don't have much gumption of anything, beyond texting, vodka, knee tremblers

Trickytreesreds
19-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Salmond to resign, Sturgeon to replace.

There's something fishy going on in the SNP. ;D

Sounds like a caviar charge to me

Trickytreesreds
19-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Salmond has already moved on in his new career as a cabaret singer.

http://i58.tinypic.com/20z30iw.jpg

Romanis
19-09-2014, 05:33 PM
1 important question that has come out of this referendum and will be acted upon hopefully is 'The West Lothian Question.'

That Scottish (also Welsh and Northern Irish) MPs at Westminster can vote on issues pertaining solely to England, but English MPs cannot dot he same for Scottish matters.

On another note, Ed Milliband has breathed a huge sigh of relief. Had Scotland voted Yes, Labour would lose around 40 MPs once they become independent. That would have effectively put Labour in opposition for a few more decades. That's why Darling and Brown were in the forefront in the fight for 'No.' Labour was looking death in the eyes.

And Davie-boy Cameron is also a happy bunny, a 'No' would put his position as Leader of the Tories on the line with, with 'Mop-head' Boris rubbing his hands with glee.