PDA

View Full Version : What position would we be in?

Crewe313
30-09-2014, 04:21 PM
If we had gone down last year. After watching the performances this year I think we would be in the bottom 4. Steve Davis has come out saying we are fighting, yet i have seen no fight in that team apart from the vale game. If we had been relegated and been performing like we have would Steve still have his job? My biggest frustration is not learning from previous mistakes. Steve seems stubborn in his approach and we seem to be trying to beat our horrendous defensive record from last year.
The biggest problem is the lack of fight. At Crewe we are used to our players being the underdogs or learning their trade. But no fight and grit is despicable for young players and must be the fault of the management.

AstonAlex
30-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Whilst I agree that there has been a distinct lack of bottle, and some players really not looking as though they are trying, the two that I would exclude from that criticism are our 2 youngest players, Ben Garratt and Billy Waters (and George Cooper when he came on against Colchester).

That is not to say that young Billy's efforts are always effective, but I think it wrong to describe those two as showing a lack of fight and grit and, by extension, despicable. Now if you want to one or two of the older players I have less of an issue with the statement.

Crewe313
01-10-2014, 07:21 AM
I do understand your point, however i think last nights game reiterated my point as yet again the game was over by 70 mins. The team as a whole has a real problem going 1 0 down. The younger players, due to their age, lose confidence dramatically. Billy in particular goes missing from games. Ben has no choice but to be busy as he has a shot a minute to save. Don't get me wrong billy and ben have been our best players this season, however as a team when we are 1 0 down nobody in that team shows the grit and determination to turn it around. The blame I put down to the manager as he should have embedded a never say die attitude and should have a good mix of senior and junior players in the team. The other blame goes to the senior players who should have seen this all before and could really help lift the younger players. I think grant is our best player on the day and can be very influential. It is up to players like him to step up when the times get tough and the younger players will the

AstonAlex
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
I don't disagree with the general thrust of your agreement - as soon as we go a goal down heads drop and the match is lost.

I would not excuse Toots from criticism, however. He may put maximum effort in at all times, but unfortunately his form has been poor by his standards this season.

I have also fallen into the trap of associating running round looking busy with being effective (Billy at times, although I would not doubt his commitment). Some players are just rather more laid back in their general demeanour but still manage to be in the right place at the right time and do the job - think Bobby Moore, Dimitar Berbatov for example. One or two of our players are a bit like that, although obviously without their ability! I don't want them to waste their energy looking busy, just keep their heads up and stop making silly mistakes.

itwasin
01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Even the Chip Shop went home after 70min last night they could not stand the BATTERING also!