View Full Version : Martin to start vs England?

Toggles
17-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Fletcher is injured, so it's quite possible Derby's no 9 will get the nod!!

Although... this reporter for the BBC seems to disagree.

'The injury to Steven Fletcher exposed a limitation, though, since his replacement Chris Martin was less mobile and less technically adept. Strachan could play Stevie May up front against England, and the Sheffield Wednesday striker certainly plays with a fearless and bullish air, but Martin is more likely to start.
Yet without Fletcher's ability to take possession with his back to goal, then spin into space or move the ball swiftly to team-mates on either flank, Scotland's play is less cohesive, more one-dimensional'

Know's his stuff then that chap! :?

D_D
17-11-2014, 02:05 PM
"Less technically adept" XD Brilliant. Of all the criticisms he could have picked. Jesus.

If I'm being patriotic, I hope Martin doesn't start, I'm not sure Cahill/Jagielka can cope ;)

Seriously though, it would be great for Martin if he gets the nod. Touch wood he doesn't burn out or get injured...

Gaspode
17-11-2014, 03:19 PM
...Touch wood he doesn't burn out or get injured...

or loses control and gives Jack Wilshere the slap he deserves...

Beardyram
17-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Strachan rates him. Said he was the man of the match against Wolves despite not scoring.

If he starts Martin I would like to see him start with JR as well, try to replicate the Derby link ups at international level.

Bear DCFC
17-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Would you rather England win or Scotland win with a goal or two from Martin?

Ramondo
17-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Would you rather England win or Scotland win with a goal or two from Martin?

It's a no brainier for me. I couldn't a flying **** about the England football team. I hope Martin scores a hat trick and his value rockets along with his confidence.

Same for all our players. I'll only be cheering on England if a Derby player was involved.

triz
17-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Yet without Fletcher's ability to take possession with his back to goal, then spin into space or move the ball swiftly to team-mates

If only martin could do that, imagine how dangerouse we would be.

yamyamram
17-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Obviously this reporter hasn't seen Derby play recently. probably one of those who think football doesn't exist below the Premier League!! Idiot. Hope Martin starts & gets a couple of goals. Just hope he doesn't get injured!!!Be a good test for him against Cahill with the Chelsea cup game coming up. I'm in agreement with u Ramondo, no interest in England with no Rams players much prefer Scotland & Irish teams. We have had quite a few players in their teams down the years.

Rapid
17-11-2014, 05:13 PM
the guy is clearly a moron if he thinks stevie may should start ahead of martin.

I'd much rather England win and martin draw a blank. why? because if martin impresses at this level we've got bob hope of holding on to him in January!

Manofpride
17-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I'd love for Martin to get a hat full of goals but not against England! I hope Scotland get hammered just like they'll be hoping to beat the enemy. It's Scotland v England and there is no such thing as a friendly in this clash. Can't believe there are English England haters out there! :/ :( :s

triz
17-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I'd love for Martin to get a hat full of goals but not against England! I hope Scotland get hammered just like they'll be hoping to beat the enemy. It's Scotland v England and there is no such thing as a friendly in this clash. Can't believe there are English England haters out there! :/ :( :s

I can believe it but i'm not one of them. My biggest hope for the game is that our players Martin in particular stay fit, but after that i hope england smash them.

Rapid
17-11-2014, 05:57 PM
they'll be hoping to beat the enemy. It's Scotland v England and there is no such thing as a friendly in this clash.

very true MoP. I was in Edinburgh when England lost to Italy in the world cup and can tell you every Scotsman in the bar was cheering for Italy. it was harmless banter in the end but they meant it 100%. they desperately wanted us to lose.

swaledale
17-11-2014, 06:13 PM
the guy is clearly a moron if he thinks stevie may should start ahead of martin.

I'd much rather England win and martin draw a blank. why? because if martin impresses at this level we've got bob hope of holding on to him in January!

I dnt see Martin having that much of an impact, he ought to be able to hold his own but the guy has not done much above championship level in his career. Anyway as he is on a 4 year contract, any club that wanted to take a punt would be paying top dollar!

Rapid
17-11-2014, 06:24 PM

I dnt see Martin having that much of an impact, he ought to be able to hold his own but the guy has not done much above championship level in his career. Anyway as he is on a 4 year contract, any club that wanted to take a punt would be paying top dollar![/quote]

neither had ulloa but Leicester saw it fit to pay 7m.

could say the same about Rhodes but still Blackburn had to turn down 10m.

Popsidepaul
17-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Hope CM stays firmly on the bench, and England hammer the jocks. I want him fit for and as rested as possible for the Watford game.

Don't understand the England haters on here.

Bear DCFC
17-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Hate no, apathy yes. I can't say I'm particularly proud to be English, especially when it comes to Football - never mind getting into our foreign policy and the morons who run our country. I get passionate when it comes to England playing Rugby, that's probably because it seems like the players are proud to wear the English jersey. If England win tomorrow I'd be happy I guess, if Martin scored then the result wouldn't bother me either way. Soz!

Popsidepaul
17-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Apathy I can understand.

AdiSalisbury
17-11-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't dislike England, however I would love Martin to bag a hatrick as confidence in a striker is essential.

Derby 1st, England 2nd.

triz
17-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Hate no, apathy yes. I can't say I'm particularly proud to be English, especially when it comes to Football - never mind getting into our foreign policy and the morons who run our country. I get passionate when it comes to England playing Rugby, that's probably because it seems like the players are proud to wear the English jersey. If England win tomorrow I'd be happy I guess, if Martin scored then the result wouldn't bother me either way. Soz!

I wouldnt say pride is really my reason for supporting derby or england, its much more complex then that, but essentially it just boils down to them being my team. I support Derby and England and want them to win and do well. Pride doesnt come into it (and cant really until we have a slight bit of success).

As for the england rugby team, i find it hard to get as passionate about a much inferior sport (& 5 losses in a row doesnt help)

StensonRam
17-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Surely an ideal scenario would be for Martin to have a good game generally and score [a few]but be let down by his team mates and England win, best of both worlds then!

Bear DCFC
17-11-2014, 08:51 PM

I wouldnt say pride is really my reason for supporting derby or england, its much more complex then that, but essentially it just boils down to them being my team. I support Derby and England and want them to win and do well. Pride doesnt come into it (and cant really until we have a slight bit of success).

As for the england rugby team, i find it hard to get as passionate about a much inferior sport (& 5 losses in a row doesnt help)[/quote]

Stimaclegend
17-11-2014, 09:39 PM
England to win 4-3 with Martin getting a hat trick would do for me!

triz
17-11-2014, 10:08 PM

As for the england rugby team, i find it hard to get as passionate about a much inferior

Ramondo
17-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Hope CM stays firmly on the bench, and England hammer the jocks. I want him fit for and as rested as possible for the Watford game.

Don't understand the England haters on here.

I think you first need to understand the difference between not giving a toss and hate. I don't see anyone on here using the latter term to describe what they think of England.

Some of us just don't care about it. For me, it's just about the domestic game.