PDA

View Full Version : fa youth cup

number1stuartevans
19-11-2014, 06:10 PM
£3 or £1 concessions great entertainment usually you should come mikesb you might learn something mate ;-)

number1stuartevans
19-11-2014, 06:10 PM
oh and 730 kick off

Crewe99
19-11-2014, 09:08 PM
1-0 Callum Ainley (20 mins)
2-0 Joe Kearns (49)
3-0 Joe Howell (66)
4-0 Chris Speed (80)

Well done to the boys on an excellent win. Next up are last year's beaten finalists Fulham.

AstonAlex
19-11-2014, 10:23 PM
The gulf in class was apparent from the first five minutes tonight, I thought. All the lads in red showed a great first touch, pace on and off the ball and played with their heads up; 4-0 did not flatter the Alex tonight, and it's a few years since I felt able to say that!

I didn't get a team sheet, so perhaps someone could put a fews in for me, please - but the number 4 ran the game; looked a real prospect, and the number 9 was impressive as a target man. The wingers (7 and 11) took their men on all night long, ably supported by the full backs. Can't say much about the CHs and GK as they must have got pretty cold by the end of the match given how little they had to do!

Top entertainment to fill me with great enthusiasm for the next few years. :D

Crewe99
19-11-2014, 10:41 PM
AA according to the team sheet, the players were
4 Oliver Finney
7 Liam O'Neill
9 Andre Brown
11 Callum Ainley

VindePays2009
19-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Thanks for this, AA. We have yet to hear from MikeSB, perhaps because this stonking result doesn't suit his argument.

I think that home advantage is a bit irrelevant at Academy level, so the fact is simply that we could blow away a spirited young side of Cat3, presumably, who are not to blame for being coached to an entirely different, i.e lower, level. Good on Morris and Lunty!

What this means is that in a year or eigh**** months, some of these young stars could be helping us to retain, hopefully, a fingernail hold on League One status. It can surely never be better than that. But maybe none of the York lads could step up to the first team, even at Conference level. As you say, AA, it gives us great hope.

O.K., the fun will no doubt end against Fulham, but this is because it's the kind of club that will be signing international youngsters for their Academy side, no doubt at wages better than our first team players earn. No disgrace in going down to a moneybags side like that; in f

crewedaft
20-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Anyone know when the Fulham match is and whether it is home or away?

AlexLeicester
20-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I'd cut MikeSB some slack on this. I may disagree fundamentally with him on some issues, but he strikes me as being a true, honest and dedicated Alex fan.

I am really pleased for the Youth/U18 team. It must be great to be on a winning streak, especially after the success of the U21s last season.
This all-round, all-age football is a fantastic tribute to the way we do things at the Alex. It's what the Academy is all about - with the final aim of producing 1st team players for whichever division we are in.

alexbarmy
20-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Oliver Finney is son of former Vale winger Kevin Finney. The Alex also have his 2 younger sons on their books.

The future is bright.

somersetcrewe
20-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Amazing what coincidences football can throw up.
Remember, I have no real physical connection to Crewe - I'm Somerset born and bred - but I learn from my Mum that I went to school, (same year, same CLASS!), as Callum Ainley's Mum, Paula.
Not only that, her Dad is the brother of my Dad's brother's wife!! :?
Ok, brother of my auntie if you like! ;D

Now if I lived in Crewe, more chance of such an occurrence but hailing from Somerset ...??

So I shall be following young Callum's progress with extra special interest!

MikeSB
20-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Is there no such thing as bad publicity ;) and I'm the one that is accused of hi jacking every thread with the academy! ;)

Sorry, didn't go and so can't comment but really pleased for the lads to have done so well. I will try and get to see one or two games when the weather permits though.

Thanks AL for your comments. I would reciprocate those towards your good self and many others on this board that although we can disagree on some things, its done in a good and fair spirit and imo for a football discussion board, its a very high standard compared with most. And why I enjoy reading it most days.

Who was it we played last night and what round was it?

One_Dean_Ashton
20-11-2014, 10:32 AM
The match last night was against York, Mike.

We now play Fulham at home in the next round who were last year's beaten finalists.

alexmick
20-11-2014, 10:42 AM
I'd cut MikeSB some slack on this. I may disagree fundamentally with him on some issues, but he strikes me as being a true, honest and dedicated Alex fan.

I am really pleased for the Youth/U18 team. It must be great to be on a winning streak, especially after the success of the U21s last season.
This all-round, all-age football is a fantastic tribute to the way we do things at the Alex. It's what the Academy is all about - with the final aim of producing 1st team players for whichever division we are in.

Quite right, AL. Mike is right to express his opinion on this forum, just like any other poster.

I think the result / performance / gulf in class just goes to prove that our academy is working and thankfully we can continue in the same category (if that is the right term) for some time to come. It is all about the future and the Crewe way. Ditch the academy and we are sunk!

somersetcrewe
20-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Ditch the academy and we are sunk!

And in the further interest of balance, I don't think Mike has ever called for that. Just a redistribution of present funds, weighted more heavily towards the first team. Thus lending itself to a Cat 2 to Cat 3 downgrade.

That said, not wishing to perpetuate a love-in, I still disagree with him ;D
The Academy remains our main source of income, our main feed into the first team - therefore it should remain our primary focus.

I just worry about those that we do sell on don't maximise their undoubted potential - the meandering careers of Powell and Murphy a case in point. But that's a separate discussion.

VindePays2009
20-11-2014, 03:31 PM
There are two schools of thought on Cat. 2 versus Cat. 3, and each has its good days and its bad days.

No doubt before last night's game it would have been possible to say of Crewe's Youth team: "mardy wee toerags, with their heads stuffed full of new-fangled coaching nonsense". And of the York lads: "Throwing their jackets down on the beach at Scarborough and having a good game of three-and- you're-in will set them up for the tie just fine".

By 9.20 p.m., people would no doubt have given up on those opinions.

bigroof
20-11-2014, 04:46 PM
My impression, as a regular follower of the youth cup games over years, is that the players' quality is better than ever. After taking on seven of last year's group as professionals, I wondered if this year's group might see a dip; but there is so much talent amongst our 16-18-year-olds.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't offer at least four or five professional contracts again next summer, and I wouldn't want to be the one who had to choose those to miss out.

Whether this has to do with the category or not, is debatable of course; EPPP's only been going a couple of years. It is testament surely though, to the overall coaching programme at the club, and the quality of the coaches encouraged by Dario for so long. The prospect of the quality becoming even greater, year on year, certainly whets the appetite.

The Fulham tie whets the appetite, and it'd be good to see the club and the local media, helped by all of us of course on forums such as these, and Twitter, Facebook etc, publicis

out0lunch
21-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Goals on the link - view external link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e_9odFD4qY&feature=youtu.be)

weymouthalex
21-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the link out0lunch. Good to see Alex lads slotting the goals in.:D

NEVTHEDEV
21-11-2014, 09:18 PM
This link work`s ;D - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e_9odFD4qY&feature=youtu.be)

Alexman
22-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Very optimistic about our youth.

somersetcrewe
12-12-2014, 01:55 PM
After Fulham, we have either Portsmouth or Bolton - AT HOME!!
Sat 17th Jan, 7pm KO.
A good chance again I'd say.

They play their 3rd rd tie next Tuesday, also at 7pm.

COYRs!!! - view external link (www.thefa.com/fa-youth-cup/fixtures)

AlexLeicester
12-12-2014, 02:23 PM
That an odd day and time.
15.00 January 17, 2015 - Notts County v. Crewe Alex
Game ends 16.50; across Nottingham to A50 and back in Crewe - 18.30 at best, by car. On the fans' coach - 19.00.
It's a bit tight.

Is there room for manoeuvre?

out0lunch
12-12-2014, 03:15 PM
According to the OS nothing has been arranged yet except tie must be played by 17th January

AlexLeicester
12-12-2014, 03:32 PM
According to the OS nothing has been arranged yet except tie must be played by 17th January

Aye, but it clearly states that as a fixture on the FA site.

AstonAlex
12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Hard to arrange the fixture when you don't know who the opposition is too!

Incidentally, someone on the OS needs a geography lesson; evidently Pompey beat 'local rivals' Plymouth Argyle in the first round.

Only a 350 mile round trip!!

ShropshireAlex
12-12-2014, 04:50 PM

Aye, but it clearly states that as a fixture on the FA site.[/quote]

So do all the others, I imagine it's a back up time - if you can't agree one earlier, you play then or else ...

PAULCAFC
14-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Interesting, could Max turn out for Bolton if it happens?

Teammoo
14-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Wasn't he injured yesterday. At the time reporters were saying it looked bad. Not heard anything since.

AstonAlex
14-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Gone for a scan on his knee, but not as bad as first feared, according to Lennon.

He wouldn't be able to play anyway as he is too old (was 19 in August) and I believe the Youth Cup is for 18yo and under at the start of the season.

crewejon
16-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Bolton in next round, they beat Pompey 1-0 away this evening.

lestiverton
19-12-2014, 08:21 PM
No confirmation yet of the date of the January fixture v Bolton, according to the FA site. Nothing on the official site either. Does anyone know anything different?

NEVTHEDEV
19-12-2014, 08:35 PM
No confirmation yet of the date of the January fixture v Bolton, according to the FA site. Nothing on the official site either. Does anyone know anything different?
On the OS site now,Wed 14 @ 1900 hrs £3&£1 ;D