PDA

View Full Version : New signings/new approach

Paul_Davis_(Millers_
02-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Miller boss Steve Evans has his say on his new signings and his side's new style of play. - view external link (http://bit.ly/1vafT2w)

fivetide
02-12-2014, 09:31 AM
"instanct" ;)

Also this bit where we "get off Alex". Perhaps ***ual favours should only be given for a goal. It might be more of an incentive.

thaimillerfan
02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
That link never works in Thailand

DavidR__9
02-12-2014, 12:25 PM
"For a Rotherham United team to go from a style where we get off Alex (striker Revell) and say it ain’t going to work, we have to get it down and pass it and move it and pop up in pockets..."

This is quite a statement. Our team, the squad (including the acquisitions before the last fortnight) and our entire coaching stucture has been geared to playing the "old" way for 3 years. Changing the entire ethos of the playing style, mid-season, is a big challenge to undertake. It also risks us relying on players who might not be here in a month (or who could be recalled at any point after that time).

Presumably, both Bowery and Clark-Harris were recruited to play roles in plan A - now we're on plan B, does our £600K of forwards still fit in?

It looks like we're in for a state of flux for a bit while we see if we can bed down a new style of play and then, presumably, recruit more players in January to play it more effectively.

I know Evans likes the bold gesture, but this might be his bigge

AdidasSantiago
02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Presumably, both Bowery and Clark-Harris were recruited to play roles in plan A - now we're on plan B, does our £600K of forwards still fit in?

It looks like we're in for a state of flux for a bit while we see if we can bed down a new style of play and then, presumably, recruit more players in January to play it more effectively.

Certain people have asked for a change of style so those same people must be patient and give it a chance to work.

I would also say that JB and JCH were brought in for a future change of style as neither are back-to-goal types like Revell.

Heman
02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Personally I think we have all the makings of a team which is capable of passing it round the opposition.

Arnie - does this with ease.

Pringle, rarely wins a ball but loses it even more rarely.

Green - very capable

Taylor - very capable with the right coaching and a neck brace holding his head up

Bowery, Derbyshire and JCH all can pass and receive well.

Then there are the loan players, as well as the ones I have forgotten.

I think Steve Evans has made 2 very bold moves.

1. He has realised that route 1 gets eaten alive in this league so has changed the personnel to players who can play the passing game#

2. He has changed his style of play to the passing game with Route 1 as a plan B.

Personally that's what I have been asking for so if it goes belly up I can't complain. At least if we go down, we go down with a fighting chance and a fighting spirit.

gorky
02-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Personally I think we have all the makings of a team which is capable of passing it round the opposition.

Arnie - does this with ease.

Pringle, rarely wins a ball but loses it even more rarely.

Green - very capable

Taylor - very capable with the right coaching and a neck brace holding his head up

Bowery, Derbyshire and JCH all can pass and receive well.

Then there are the loan players, as well as the ones I have forgotten.

1. He has realised that route 1 gets eaten alive in this league so has changed the personnel to players who can play the passing game#

2. He has changed his style of play to the passing game with Route 1 as a plan B.

Personally that's what I have been asking for so if it goes belly up I can't complain. At least if we go down, we go down with a fighting chance and a fighting spirit.

Good post heman. Blackpool was perhaps the right time to try this approach. Fo

Ravo_Miller
02-12-2014, 03:43 PM

I am not sure if this is 100% correct. The issue in recent weeks for me has been the drop in form of Frecklington. Our style of play has been based on quick balls to Revell and then picking up the 2nd ball at speed. Frecklington last season was the master of this. He has also done this well during late September and October this season (most noticeably in the 2nd half against Charlton and Leeds). The problem is that we are over-reliant on Frecklington being on top form all the time. When he is off form we

DavidEdinburgh
02-12-2014, 07:37 PM
For me, there is a ***** section missing from this statement from Evans as follows, which you may wish to suggest to him Paul, in your next interview, so he can add it next time… “I have criticised Arni, and now Collin, but we have to remember that without these and other players we would not be in this league. So, they made a few mistakes, but I have to accept I have made a few mistakes myself like I realise now we should have not let Kieran go, and maybe we should have done that bit extra to land May, but to put this right I will certainly be asking the Chairman to support me in bringing in two quality, proven, strikers permanently in January, as although I believe our passing style will work for us, we have to pass to someone who can actually score a goal…”

Lasterman
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Interesting new approach. Pity we can't get a young skilful player from the best team in the country...maybe someone who's tipped to play for England but not able to get in his club first team yet. Someone like that would fit in well. Oh wait a minute...

redhouse
02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
For me, there is a ***** section missing from this statement from Evans as follows, which you may wish to suggest to him Paul, in your next interview, so he can add it next time… “I have criticised Arni, and now Collin, but we have to remember that without these and other players we would not be in this league. So, they made a few mistakes, but I have to accept I have made a few mistakes myself like I realise now we should have not let Kieran go, and maybe we should have done that bit extra to land May, but to put this right I will certainly be asking the Chairman to support me in bringing in two quality, proven, strikers permanently in January, as although I believe our passing style will work for us, we have to pass to someone who can actually score a goal…”

and where are we going to get these two strikers from every club in the country is after one never mind two

we have enough strikers at the club who hopefully will ge

DavidEdinburgh
02-12-2014, 10:27 PM

and where are we going to get these two strikers from every club in the country is after one never mind two

we have eno

redhouse
02-12-2014, 10:38 PM

and where are we going to get these two strikers from every club in t

wrinkly
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Interesting new approach. Pity we can't get a young skilful player from the best team in the country...maybe someone who's tipped to play for England but not able to get in his club first team yet. Someone like that would fit in well. Oh wait a minute...

One of the most disappointing aspects of this season is that Swift did not work out.

As a sub, in the first game of the season, vs Derby, he was breathtaking. He looked to be Evans' best signing yet.

Starting against Wolves he couldn't put a foot right. The intelligencia round me (always willing to give a talented young lad a chance) were on his back after 10 minutes, nasty stuff as well.

We don't really know what happened after that.
Perhaps he didn't impress in training or reserve matches. Perhaps he had an attitude problem and couldn't settle in Rotherham after the bright lights of that London (difficult to believe, I know).

A real shame it came to nothing but not necessa

DavidEdinburgh
02-12-2014, 11:15 PM

and where are we going

niamh999
03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
I seem to remeber us playing watford off the park for 65 mins by passing the ball with the squad we had ? We need both styles of play to compete in this division .

millavanilla
03-12-2014, 08:32 AM

we have eno

Brin
03-12-2014, 09:17 AM

and where are we going to get these two strikers from every club in the

millertop
03-12-2014, 09:50 AM

and where are we going to get

PeteWaller
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
For me DavidR has it right. When we had Tavs (I accept his defensive frailties at times) and Kieran on the RHS we had speed and quick passing supported by a confident midfield. If we had May and Becchio on top then I think we would be seeing us more mid table. Add a settled side and we would be progressing.

I think SE needs to add that quality up front in Jan but after that, we need a settled side, capable of creating those chances again but with the added ingredient of being able to score goals. Players gain confidence from a run in the side - tactical subs are not upsetting - so I'm hoping to see that. If we don't, I think we r going down and as has been said, getting back out may prove difficult for a number of reasons. I believe we can progress though and the towel hasn't been chucked in yet. Hope fans can support, it only helps the players and to see some turning already is disappointing.

deano_83
03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Personally I think Evans has spent too many evenings on here churning over what a minority post about.

We played some super attacking football last year but with Revell in the side as a focal point. Last Saturday was encouraging to a degree but what we were lacking with Lawrence (still a young lad) and Derbyshire (who is a box player) was someone running the channel to pull a deep Blackpool defence about a bit to open the space up.

It is possible to have a big lad in the team and still primarily play it to feet contrary to what a lot of Rotherham fans seem to think, the idea that if Revell plays we have to aimlessly hoof it is nonsense (look at the Leeds game as an example) and I think time would be better spent by the management re-focusing on what we did so well last season and early this, than ripping things up and starting over (if that's the idea).

I hope the new lads make a big contribution and add some hunger and speed to the side but a Revell type forward plays every time fo

RawmarshMiller
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Said it several times before, we need 2-3 new players and they all need to have 1 simple thing in common. PACE.

We have lost Tavernier & Agard, both supremely quick, we have brought in Richardson, who, don't get me wrong, is a good player but is awfully slow. We have yet to replace Agard with a quick wide man. We also had Wes last year, I know a bit marmite but was quick over the first 10 yards. Now, if given consistent game time I think Bowery, JCH or Derbyshire can fill the Thomas role, its the other 2 that are lacking. I also go back to the L2 days, we were a much better team with Morris in at left back, again another quick player.

For me 2 quick players, a full-back and a wide man - they can play on either wing and a sustained run of games for JCH, Bowery or Derbyshire.

deano_83
03-12-2014, 12:54 PM
I think everyone recognises our achilles heel is lack of pace and has been all season really in certain areas (on the flanks and at centre half). This is one of the reasons Pringle always takes a touch and crosses from very deep positions.

I've said it before but Evans has said we're trying to continually adapt and change style for the Championship - well look at Brentford, they just go out and play their natural game and have recruited brilliantly.

If anything some of our recruitment has stalled us in where we want to be with some of the lads that have come in (just my opinion).

gwru
03-12-2014, 04:59 PM
You target games you can win Cardiff isn't one of them. Plan A, Plan B all you can do is play to best system that suits the players in your squad.

Like to see what Newton can do. I'd play him in place of Ledesmo, Frecks in place of Green.

Hope we can stay in touch come jan' then sort the squad out.

DavidR__9
03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I agree with that. In hindsight, maybe Blackpool was the game to give the old way one last shot, with the new players primed to come in for this game if it didn't work. We've all on to beat Cardiff, even with everyone fit and brimful of confidence. We should have beat Blackpool and made a really poor first of trying to.

TMiller
03-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I am absolutely convinced that a change of style will see us relegated. We needed to build on our way of playing from last season with a few quality additions. tavernier and agard for taylor and richardson is a very very poor swap indeed and we still haven't found a partner for revell.probably should have tried harder to keep thomas.

if we had done this we would be mid table but we have signed lots of poor players and we are sliding.

we threw away two points on saturday by trying this new approach. to me lawrence looked good but the full backs looked suspect

gorky
04-12-2014, 05:35 PM
I agree with that. In hindsight, maybe Blackpool was the game to give the old way one last shot, with the new players primed to come in for this game if it didn't work. We've all on to beat Cardiff, even with everyone fit and brimful of confidence. We should have beat Blackpool and made a really poor first of trying to.

I'd have thought putting in three new signings away at Cardiff could lead to an embarrassing result.

Brin
04-12-2014, 06:51 PM

I'd have thought putting in three new signings away at Cardiff could lead to an embarrassing result.[/quote]

loan signings don't stay for ever...as much as we played 'fantastic' football last Saturday ( Evans words not mine)...playing tippy tappy football ala Sheff Utd style last season and against a very poor Blackpool side proved nothing for me ...I can only see us getting battered at Cardiff...

Come on Steve get it to together ...get back to our old style by bringing in proven players not young un's ...be brave...you've used a style for the last 2 seasons but the bott

redhouse
04-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Trouble with the old style as such is it's impossible to keep up for 90 minutes and will be punished more in this league if you don't keep it up

I think we need a mix of the two ie playing a more keep possession style with bursts of passionate old style attacking

Just my opinion of course :D

PeteWaller
05-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Pace, aggression as in "in their faces" and a team spirit capable of 100% effort until the game is over. Just like last 2 seasons but with a higher calibre of player.

Striker of May's quality (He will score plenty IMO) and a hrs similar to last season will do the trick. Giving freedom back to Prings and settling Frecks down. Poor lad doesn't know who he is playing next to, from one week to another.

UTM

collecting
05-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Cardiff game is winable don't believe their hype.

redhouse
05-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Cardiff game is winable don't believe their hype.

Every game is winable otherwise it would not be worth turning out :D

redandgreen
05-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Loan signings can be the differance between staying up or going down. Look what a differance it made to wendy getting Wickham and Fryatt in last season. Becchio was of that ilk and I think if he's not picked up that injury, he'd have picked up 3 or 4 goals, which might well have brought in another win or two.
I'm afraid the recent job lot, aren't proven and are a lottery. Maybe even someone such as Paterson loaned out by Udders Field or Beckford loaned out by Bolton, would have been less risky

deMiller
05-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I think our biggest problem at the moment is just no movement off the ball at all.
Anyone can have the ball in midfield and you look at every other player and they are either stood still or walking. We need players to make runs, create space, loose their markers otherwise there are no options on and that one play either gets shut down or has to pass it back with the only alternative been giving up possesion.

jolly_roger
05-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Loan signings should be the salt and pepper on the meal, not the complete menu.

kevthemaltbymiller
05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Don't think SE will start with all four tomorrow as he will be setting up to stifle Cardiff and try and pinch something from the game

PeteWaller
06-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Often there's more freedom to play fast attacking football away from home, particularly on the break. Long shot I know but if we can get last seasons displays away from home back, we might pick up a surprise win.

UTM

Brin
06-12-2014, 09:11 PM

I'd have thought putting in three new signings away at Cardiff could lead to an embarrassing result.[/quote]

loan signings don't stay for ever...as much as we played 'fantastic' football last Saturday ( Evans words not mine)...playing tippy tappy football ala Sheff Utd style last season and against a very poor Blackpool side proved nothing for me ...I can only see us getting battered at Cardiff...

Come on Steve get it to together ...get back to our old style by bringing in proven players not young un's ...be brave...you've used

DavidEdinburgh
06-12-2014, 09:25 PM

Come on Steve get it to together ...get back to our old style by bringing in proven player

Brin
06-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Come on Steve get it to together ...ge

deano_83
08-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Played some really nice stuff Saturday but new approach or not the same old story applies, sticking the ball in the net. At times we tried to walk it in but having said that, when we did shoot a bit of luck would have seen us win the game (clipping the post with Ledesma's free kick then Marshall's super save from Revs' header).

A win is round the corner and we are still very close to mid-table, or possibly 2 like Wednesday have just managed after 10 games without one.

By the way, people grumble about the NYS atmosphere sometimes, I don't think Cardiff managed one noteable chant to get behind their side. After 7 consecutive home wins maybe they thought they just had to turn up.

gorky
08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

loan signings don't stay for ever...as much as we played 'fantastic' football last Saturday ( Evans words not mine)...playing tippy tappy football ala Sheff Utd style last season and against a very poor Blackpool side proved nothing for me ...I can only see us getting battered at Cardiff.