PDA

View Full Version : Christmas homework for i961pie.

Romanis
23-12-2014, 07:19 PM
My good man, since we've been talking boxing, 1 of the many sports I really enjoy. Come to think of it, I was a super huge sports fan when I was younger, I would watch even alpine skiing, volleyball, basketball and many others. Show sports on TV and I'm all gooey. But now maybe interest has waned in a number of those sports. I used to be a big hockey fan too (both field and ice), but now only the former for the WC or Olympics.

Anyway I digress, your Christmas homework, is something I got think about my fave boxers of all time. So I'll give you my list and you tell me yours. But first what are your current fave sports? Mine are:

1) Football
2) Tennis
3) Boxing
4) Golf
5) Athletics
6) Swimming
7) Rugby (mainly WC)
8) Field Hockey (WC or Olympics)
9) Cricket (50 overs WC and the Ashes, not much of a Test fan or 20/20)
10) Last but not least - the Olympics, and a lot of its events, when the Olympics are one, it supersedes everything, even the footy.

Strangely I'm not much an F1 fan the

Romanis
23-12-2014, 07:40 PM
And now for the main event, your list of fave boxers through the ages. I wasn't much of a fan of other classes/divisions, only the heavyweight division, but then came the Magnificent 4 in the 1980s, and now once more with FM/Pacquiao. And you'll be surprised that I did not actually like or was interested in many UK fighters.

Anyway here it is;

Heavyweight:

1. Muhammad Ali (my no 1 in any class, probably might even be my fave sportsman of all time.)

2. George Foreman (the way he dismantled Frazier, was shockingly exciting!) But it was his famous win over Moorer, 20 years after losing his crown, that's my greatest impression of him. I consider that victory 1 of the greatest sporting feats of all time.

3. Ken Norton - a shockingly good fighter but unfortunate to be around during the halcyon days of Ali, Foreman and Frazier. But he maybe he was lucky, to be around then, because we could truly see how good fighter he was. Broke Ali's jaw and gave him good fights in all 3 bouts. Was u

Romanis
23-12-2014, 08:03 PM
7. Cont: I remember when asked at age 21 on becoming the youngest ever heavyweight champion, what he hoped to be - Ans: 'the oldest!' He was truly impressive back then, taking out opponent after opponent. But after the loss to Douglas and his personal conduct outside the ring, I soon switched allegiances and would root for his opponents more. What he did to Holyfield was disgraceful.

8. Evander Real Deal Holyfield - a truly great champion. Already good at cruiserweight, he stepped up a division like Spinks, but unlike Spinks, he excelled and became better. Stopped an out of shape Buster Douglas to become champion. He was an exceptionally intelligent fighter, and although he would lose, he always kept coming back. Lost then beat Moorer, avoided Foreman's heavy punch to win unanimously. Too smart for Tyson, but the 1 boxer he always had trouble was Bowe. I never liked Bowe much, but he could be excellent on his day. He beat Holyfield, then lost and then won again. Eventually bowed out t

Romanis
23-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Other divisions:

1. Thomas Hitman Hearns - of the 4 I liked him best. Never gave up, very aggressive. v Hagler, how can words describe this? Thought he won v Leonard but biased judging = draw = Leonard retaining his crown.

2. Marvelous Marvin Hagler - A great champion, unlucky to lose his record breaking defense with a split decision to Leonard. He could fight in any era and still be champion.

3. Roberto Duran - Just liked the guy, but I think he threw the fight v Leonard II. Never the same fighter after that though he did beat the useful Iran Barkley before losing to Leonard again. But he began the Leonard series with a unanimous decision win.

4. Joe Calzaghe - His record speaks for itself. A pity he didn't fight enough in the US.

5. Oscar de La Hoya - I think the phrase 'Golden Boy' should suffice to describe him. A special champion.

6. Julio Cesar Chavez - a record holder and breaker. Virtually unstoppable until he met de la Hoya. Considered Mexico's best ever fighter.

7. Mi

Romanis
23-12-2014, 08:42 PM
So what's your list like. It's hard for me to rate them all position wise, just that Ali was No 1, Foreman No 2, I can't split the rest.

So enjoy your Christmas and let me know.

i961pie
24-12-2014, 06:55 AM
[quote="Romanis"]My good man, since we've been talking boxing, 1 of the many sports I really enjoy. Come to think of it, I was a super huge sports fan when I was younger, I would watch even alpine skiing, volleyball, basketball and many others. Show sports on TV and I'm all gooey. But now maybe interest has waned in a number of those sports. I used to be a big hockey fan too (both field and ice), but now only the former for the WC or Olympics.

Anyway I digress, your Christmas homework, is something I got think about my fave boxers of all time. So I'll give you my list and you tell me yours. But first what are your current fave sports? Mine are:

1) Football
2) Tennis
3) Boxing
4) Golf
5) Athletics
6) Swimming
7) Rugby (mainly WC)
8) Field Hockey (WC or Olympics)
9) Cricket (50 overs WC and the Ashes, not much of a Test fan or 20/20)
10) Last but not least - the Olympics, and a lot of its events, when the Olympics are one, it supersedes everything, even the

i961pie
24-12-2014, 07:27 AM
[quote="Romanis"]And now for the main event, your list of fave boxers through the ages. I wasn't much of a fan of other classes/divisions, only the heavyweight division, but then came the Magnificent 4 in the 1980s, and now once more with FM/Pacquiao. And you'll be surprised that I did not actually like or was interested in many UK fighters.

Anyway here it is;

Heavyweight:

1. Muhammad Ali (my no 1 in any class, probably might even be my fave sportsman of all time.)

2. George Foreman (the way he dismantled Frazier, was shockingly exciting!) But it was his famous win over Moorer, 20 years after losing his crown, that's my greatest impression of him. I consider that victory 1 of the greatest sporting feats of all time.

3. Ken Norton - a shockingly good fighter but unfortunate to be around during the halcyon days of Ali, Foreman and Frazier. But he maybe he was lucky, to be around then, because we could truly see how good fighter he was. Broke Ali's jaw a

i961pie
24-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Don't know what happened but I replied andd my ten fav. boxers then it went off to content trimmed on your post. I will try again.

1-Ali by a mile-had many an argument at school in his early days because he was disliked mainly because of his mouth. My dad (who could remember watching Gene Tunney beating Jack Dempsey) and I seeing beyond that and realising he would become something special.

2- Marvellous Marvin Hagler-A true warrior, the best and most savage 3 rounds of boxing you will ever see against Hearns.

3-Joe Calzaghie-11 years unbeaten his display against the supposed American new golden boy Jeff Lacy was the finest boxing exhibition I have seen.

4-John H Stracy- went to the great Jose Napolese back yard and stopped him. I stayed up into the early hours listening to it.

5-Oscar De La Hoye--same reason as you.

6-Sugar Ray Robinson-Only saw the end of his career when he was an old man but went the distance with Gene Fullmer (or was it Don) for the world title but seen m

i961pie
24-12-2014, 08:11 AM
7-Packman--His interest in politics spoilt his career a bit but imo he would have beaten Mayweather when both fighters were at their best.

8-Chris Finnegan- Won Olympic gold and I had the good fortune to see him win the light heavyweight European title at the ice stadium in Nottm in the 70's. He had some great fights and lost to Bob Foster (one of the great light heavies off all time) for the world title.

9- Evander Holyfield- Not many step up from light heavy to win world titles at heavyweight. I always remember him singing to Tyson when the ref bought them together in the centre of the ring before their first fight. It was the first time that a Tyson opponent didn't look scared and he even seem to relish what was coming.

10-Dave Needham-(a strange one I know) But his brother in law was my boss at the time and we went to 3 of his fights at Nottm. He was a cracking little boxer and if it wasn't for suffering cuts easily would have gone on to greater things.

These are all my FAVOURI

Romanis
26-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Cor blimey 861, I forgot entirely about the Sport of Kings, which I also like.

But I've given up on gambling on it. 1 day out in the Far East, with 2 of my mates we went to the racetrack. Due to scratchings etc, the next race only had 4 runners, so the betting was only open to getting the winner, no place bets etc.
And yet none of us could pick the winner, out of just 4 runners! So we said if football was already so difficult to bet and the Chinese even simplified it, no European style betting of getting the correct result and scoreline, just the Asian Handicap, where you just take 1 team and either give or take the handicap.
Eg: Chelsea v West Ham - the AH might be Chelsea - 1.5, meaning the match starts as Chelsea 0 West Ham 1.5, so if you took Chelsea, they had to win by 2 clear goals, a 2-1 win would count as a loss as the final result would be on the AH as: Chelsea 2 West Ham 2.5. If you took West Ham, all they had to do is not lose by 2 or more goals, any other result would mean

Romanis
26-12-2014, 09:13 AM
But I really like the big races. My interest in horse racing wavers, sometimes I'm so full of it, sometimes like now it cools. I started following it in the 80s, and my fave jockey of all time is the legendary Lester Piggott. He would have gotten his knighthood I'm sure if not for his criminal record. But at least he made a comeback and nearly won the Triple Crown with Commanche Run who failed at the last in the St Leger.

Those days my fave race was the Epsom Derby, then it was the Prix de le Arc de Triomphe, then the Kentucky derby and now probably it's between the Dubai WC or Melbourne Derby. And of course the Grand National.
I managed to pick 2 winners once - Maori Venture and sometime this century - I forget the horse's. But I've had a few places as well.

The Melbourne Derby run over 3200m, now that's a real challenge of staying power. My fave was Might and Power in 1997 (I Think, a pillar to post win), then came super mare Makybe Diva who won it 3 in a row (or was it 2?). I

i961pie
26-12-2014, 09:42 AM
[quote="Romanis"]But I really like the big races. My interest in horse racing wavers, sometimes I'm so full of it, sometimes like now it cools. I started following it in the 80s, and my fave jockey of all time is the legendary Lester Piggott. He would have gotten his knighthood I'm sure if not for his criminal record. But at least he made a comeback and nearly won the Triple Crown with Commanche Run who failed at the last in the St Leger.

Those days my fave race was the Epsom Derby, then it was the Prix de le Arc de Triomphe, then the Kentucky derby and now probably it's between the Dubai WC or Melbourne Derby. And of course the Grand National.
I managed to pick 2 winners once - Maori Venture and sometime this century - I forget the horse's. But I've had a few places as well.

The Melbourne Derby run over 3200m, now that's a real challenge of staying power. My fave was Might and Power in 1997 (I Think, a pillar to post win), then came super mare Makybe

i961pie
26-12-2014, 09:54 AM
My fav. Flat jockey was Steve Cauthen (great clock in his head for judging pace), I like William Buick of the present day riders.
Fav. jump jockey was Johnny Francombe (pure class) then Dunwoody. Those riding today obviously AP McCoy, Walsh and Gerraghty take some beating.
My daughter in NZ is getting married next year and is having her hen party at the Melbourne cup (I'm jealous).
Went to Thirsk races in August with the wife she had a £1 reverse forecast on a 20/1 and 8/1 in the biggest handicap of the day and guess what?--yes they finished 1st and 2nd and it paid £162 on the tote--typical.
But I love Cheltenham, not to go but watching on TV,
I always have a few days off work when it's on.

Trickytreesreds
26-12-2014, 10:28 AM
My fav. Flat jockey was Steve Cauthen (great clock in his head for judging pace), I like William Buick of the present day riders.
Fav. jump jockey was Johnny Francombe (pure class) then Dunwoody. Those riding today obviously AP McCoy, Walsh and Gerraghty take some beating.
My daughter in NZ is getting married next year and is having her hen party at the Melbourne cup (I'm jealous).
Went to Thirsk races in August with the wife she had a £1 reverse forecast on a 20/1 and 8/1 in the biggest handicap of the day and guess what?--yes they finished 1st and 2nd and it paid £162 on the tote--typical.

**** me.
It's a non stop roller coaster of fun in your house 61. XD XD XD

Have you tried synchronized crocheting?

i961pie
26-12-2014, 08:46 PM

**** me.
It's a non stop roller coaster of fun in your house 61. XD XD XD

Have you tried synchronized crocheting?[/quote]

I used to but it got in the way of my flower pressing.