PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Corner - James McKenna Gill

Sir_Walter_Timslayer
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
A Celtic fan who clearly didn't shy away from telling anyone what his allegiances were. But above all, a humanitarian who devoted some of his considerable talents to honouring the memories of the 66 people whose lives we pause to remember at this time of year.

I must confess I have never heard of the man, nor the poem. But I will definitely save this video.

This is a football fan of a certain age who were happy to "join in the singing of aw the songs we sung" but who respected their fellow football fans who sung other songs. Of course "hard men cried... when aw those people died". They were fellow football fans, and worthy of such respect no matter what colour of scarves they wore or what songs they sung.

A lot of so called football fans of the present day get far too upset about things that matter a lot less in the grand scheme of things. They could learn a lot from this man's writings. And I include many Rangers fans in that.

So may God rest James McKenna Gill, along with The 66,

bluek
01-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Moving words

mitherzundhand
02-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Very moving - a lovely tribute. :heart:

The man's passion for his own club shines through along with his respect for the dead.