PDA

View Full Version : McClarens Loan Signings

swaledale
06-01-2015, 05:12 PM
STEVE McCLAREN'S LOAN SIGNINGS:

Butland Wisdom, Keane, Whitbread, Shotton Dawkins, Thorne, Mascarell, Ibe Bamford, Bent

In our position these show Mac to be a shrewd operator, its a difficult position to recruit players, given the financial constraints (though loans don't come for nothing as many suppose!) and the fact that you need some quality to push for promotion, yet van't attract those players permenantly whilst still in the championship.

Nor does one want to recruit on 2 or 3 year contracts, players good enough for the championship but who won't necessarily make it in the prem, as wee Billy did in the last promotion season.

Rapid
06-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Butland Wisdom, Keane, Whitbread, Shotton Dawkins, Thorne, Mascarell, Ibe Bamford, Bent

lets do on a scale of 1-10 (1 being negative, 10 being positive)

Butland 6 - clearly a brilliant shot stopped but terrible kicking didn't fit into our system

Wisdom 9 - after adam smith the only way was up. brayford was big boots to fill at this level. had a mid season dip after sheff wed game but on the whole excellent loan

Keane 6 - filled a gap but frailties showed defensively

Whitbread 6 - very similar to above. sicknote now that he has the contract

Shotton 6 - contrary to what swales thinks i see him as a weak link although i believe he's a better right back. his utility is useful

Dawkins 8 - was probably at his best during the loan. knitted our style together well and we always played better with him in the side

Thorne 10 - he's god

Mascarell 7 - maybe I'm going soft. he's a good footballer that

clough08
06-01-2015, 06:47 PM
A bit harsh to prejudge Bent with a 1 out of 10! :D

blackandwhite56
06-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Where's BEST ???

Ratbag will think it's deliberate!

Rapid
06-01-2015, 07:50 PM

I'm blaming swales as I copy and pasted thes! >:)

of course we both meat the other one...which I can't bring myself to type his. lets just say he was the worst.

Toggles
06-01-2015, 08:22 PM
It difficult to give a definite score for these as some were brought in as cover and not to improve us in the long term, and so having been in and out I of the side I feel I can't def judge the players ability 100%. That said, i'll do it anyway! XD

I'll give 2 marks, 1st for my view on player ability 2nd for usefulness to the team in terms of job expected to do.

Butland 8 - Quality Keeper - 9 - didn't let us down as short term cover

Wisdom 9 - Excellent season, quality defender - 10 Filled JB's boots admirably

Keane 5 - Looked error prone at times, danger attacking set pieces - 8 Covered adequately over busy fixture period

Whitbread 6 Looks steady, but injury prone - 7 has provided cover and competition as asked, in the main

Shotton 7 - Same level as keogh/Jake, but needs extra games to improve. 9- Has given CB's competition and had some good games and offers cover to other positions

Dawkins 6 Still think he is overrated. Tidy, and at times spectacular - 8 Has provided co

swaledale
06-01-2015, 11:48 PM

I'm blaming swales as I copy and pasted thes! >:)

of course we both meat the other one...which I can't bring myself to type his. lets just say he was the worst.[/quote]

I kind of missed out best on the basis that he hardly played and proved the damp squib, but for was out of all the loans a miss.

derby123
07-01-2015, 03:42 PM

In our position these show Mac to be a shrewd operator, its a difficult position to recruit players, given the financial constraints (though loans don't come for nothing as many suppose!) and the fact that you need some quality to push for promotion, yet van't attract those players permenantly whilst still in the championship.

Nor does one want to recruit on 2 or 3 year contracts, players good enough for the championship but who won't necessarily make it in the prem, as wee Billy did in the last promotion season.

The loan players he's brought in, could make a very good championship team!

butland
wisdom keane shotton whitbread
cisse
dawkins omar thorne ibe
bamford/bent

swaledale
07-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Ah but they are not "stellar" signings though!

wristslasher_909
07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Steve hasn't had to make a KEY permanent signing as the previous newsagents had done a good job. Fair play to them.

swaledale
07-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Steve hasn't had to make a KEY permanent signing as the previous newsagents had done a good job. Fair play to them.

Depends I guess on what you call a KEY signing and whether you believe that one is required to make a successful club?

Though paying over £2 million for a player sounds like a key signing to me, irrespective of who he was scouted by before McClaren took over.

I'd say Wisdom was key signing, albeit on loan.

D_D
07-01-2015, 11:24 PM
The fact Steve and Sam got Thorne to sign permanently is a feather in both of their caps. We thought we had no chance if we stayed down. Can anyone remember such excitement for an impending signing? I certainly can't...