PDA

View Full Version : Constantly find myself frustrated with..

derby123
23-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Dawkins!

Electric when he came on vs Rotherham - No impact vs Wednesday.

I know this lad has the potential, hes a solid championship player but nothing more for me. He retains possession brilliantly, never seems to lose the ball. However... i just wish at times he would run at defenders or in behind them instead of constantly cutting in all the time!! forever find myself underwhelmed when he receives the ball, as he never dares. This drives me mad, he definitely has the ability. You've seen how effective it can be when you have pace & skill and you run at defenders. Jibe and lingaard are good examples. He could be far more effective..

Anyone else agree?

southernram22
23-02-2015, 05:51 PM
don't think he will hack a higher standard.

ramspride
23-02-2015, 05:56 PM
The most frustrating thing about Dawkins is he does not know when to release the ball, Team members run into space and he tries to beat the defender he has just beaten again with the result the defence has closed up and the attack is stopped. I'm not sure if you can teach a player when to release the ball its part of a good players natural sense.

wristslasher_909
23-02-2015, 06:41 PM
You can't teach a player of 26 decision making. If he's not got it by then, he's not got it!

Dawkins hardly ever beats a man one on one down a flank, he has quick feet and can dribble in a tight area, but he is no Ibe or Lingaard.

That's not to say he isn't a good player. Beckham never beat men one on one either.

He keeps possession well and is technically sound, but not an explosive winger.

A decent squad player for 500k definitely.

Toggles
23-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Can't fault the guy's efforts, but he's a Deschampesque 'water carrier' for me, which is not a good adjective for a wing forward!!

southernram22
23-02-2015, 08:00 PM
ibe and lindgard are exceptional talents quick no fear confident. PS sterling doesn't know when to pass either and thinks he is best thing since sliced bread.

triz
23-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Average squad player for us. Not every signing can be top drawer, but if we were to sell him I'd imagine we'd get out money back.

ManxRam
23-02-2015, 09:00 PM
Bang on Triz

I reckon we would get dosh back on him

Ok player at this level but not PL by some way

I think Bennett could play that role in time

ChellastonRam
23-02-2015, 09:03 PM
I think a bit of perspective is needed. He isn't a player who's going to fly past people down the outside, he never has been. What he does give us is ball retention and bringing others into play. Judge him on what he is, not what he can't do, because there are games and situations where we need different types of player.

Look back at where we've come from - for 5 out of the last 7 years, he'd have been one of everybody's top 3 or 4 players here.

Better than Jacobs, better than Teale, better than Cywka, etc.

Toggles
24-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Better than Jacobs, better than Teale, better than Cywka, etc.

Not sure I agree yet.

Never got to see enough of Jacobs, Cywka might be a good player in this team, too, though with a different skill set to Dawkins, for sure.

Teale? Well, he used to be ****e, but then he was alright, wasn't he? XD

derbystig
24-02-2015, 12:12 PM
To be fair to Dawkins he is playing at a club who are top of the Championship. Jacobs is not playing in an upper mid table team, Cywka has not progressed and is in league 1 and as the song went Teale was s**t. To say the others are the same standard or better is just wrong as said earlier in the thread he would have been our standout player 2 or 3 years back.

vanderlaans_header
24-02-2015, 12:52 PM
ibe and lindgard are exceptional talents quick no fear confident. PS sterling doesn't know when to pass either and thinks he is best thing since sliced bread.

Yes I think Sterling has been built up by the media and perhaps now believes all the hype. Cant understand the obsession with Liverpool players in the England set up, pinning our hopes on the likes of Sterling & Henderson. Not world beaters for me.