PDA

View Full Version : Will ye go, laddie go?

LesHiboux
24-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Any news on Evo's rumoured departure to Peterborough?

twinnyjoe
24-02-2015, 10:39 AM
TS was on radio Sheff last night and says 110% evans won't be going to peterborough

gwru
24-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Not interested. What matters is game tonight, will be a better side out tonight. Then rest of season. Only Norwich of top sides at home we've got to play. Don't want it to go to last game Leeds looked good against Middlesbora.

LesHiboux
24-02-2015, 11:35 AM
True, but there are denials and then there are denials. I seem to remember Ron Atkinson denying that he was going to Villa - a club he supports and one which he lives near... And in any case, whether Evo leaves or not isn't only down to TS. But if he does leave, will it be such a disaster? They say that you get nowhere in football swapping managers, and many cite Fergie's long reign at Manchester as an example of that. But that overlooks the fact that for many years Man U had the best players in the country, and like other top clubs they could afford to sign a tip-top player or two every season to confound the opposition. If you can't change the playing staff significantly every year, then you become predictable. The only other way to do it is to keep swapping managers periodically. That's what Mandaric has done to good effect. Evo understood this, and it's doubtless one of the main reasons he would not work for him. A new man at Rotherham would almost certainly have a honeymoon period

wrinkly
24-02-2015, 11:49 AM
A new man at Rotherham would almost certainly have a honeymoon period of 5-6 games which would lift the Millers well clear of relegation trouble.

That old chestnut.

Football mythology on a par with "teams play better with 10 men"

People remember when these things come true and forget all the times they don't.

Google "new manager syndrome" and you will find that this honeymoon period, more often than not, just doesn't happen.

I am convinced our survival prospects are far greater with Evans than without him.

DavidR__9
24-02-2015, 12:11 PM
In pure footballing terms, I can't understand the attraction of Peterborough. They're further from getting promoted from League One than we were following promotion to that league. I'm not sure that they have a top 4 or 5 wage budget. There's no upward momentum to ride there.

And then, even if they were to get promoted to the Championship, would they be that much more competitive than we are? They're not likely to attract hugely greater crowds and even assuming they could be subsidised without breaching FFP rules, they can't surely compete that much better than us.

If he keeps us in this league, Evans will surely start to increasingly catch attention of clubs in this division. I think you can legitimately question his methods (in terms of how sustainable they are long-term), but you can't argue with the results. The Championship is, in some ways, made for a manager who delivers at least what you'd expect from your budget and often a bit more.

Plus, here, he's in absolute uncontes

millertop
24-02-2015, 12:22 PM
MacAnthony (chairman) expressed an interest in Evans but will not approach a manager in employment.

So unless Evan's walks it's not going to happen.

Watford tonight anyone?

Gainsbro_Miller
24-02-2015, 01:35 PM
A new man at Rotherham would almost certainly have a honeymoon period of 5-6 games which would lift the Millers well clear of relegation trouble.

That old chestnut.

Football mythology on a par with "teams play better with 10 men"

I agree with Wrinkly.

Check out Wigan's record since Malky Mackay took over from Uwe Rosler.

Some firkin honeymoon that one has turned out to be...surprised they haven't been divorced already.

Talking of which, check Paul Buckle at Cheltenham. He lasted just 79 days and managed 1 win in 13 games.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Bolton, Birmingham, Fulham, Huddersfield, Charlton, Brighton, (I wont even mention Blackpool!!) have all changed managers this season, but haven't fully pulled away from the drop zone yet.

People remember when these things come true and forget all the times they don't.

Google "new manager syndrome" and you will find that this

LesHiboux
24-02-2015, 11:49 PM
If Rotherham were playing against a top Premier side, then they certainly wouldn't benefit from going down to ten. But the Premier side just might benefit if it loses a man, because it would then have to rearrange, negating all Evo's plans. Situations alter cases. In spite of all the Megson-worshippers, the Owls would certainly not have gained automatic promotion, Ched or no Ched, if he'd stayed. And if Jones had stayed they'd have been down in the Third this season this season. Of course, it means getting the right man in, but that comes down to the skill and judgement of the chairman...United sacked Wilson and put in Elbows, but that didn't work. Lose against Millwall and the Millers are bramalled, but I don't think that will happen. Millwall must be pants if the Owls can put 3 past them. Lol.