PDA

View Full Version : Shingles

stateside
27-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Anyone had them? They bloody hurt. Especially when they drop them off the roof on your head. Oh, wait wrong shingles.

MissWinnie
27-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Very witty, Dad. :D

Seriously, shingles is no fun. I've not had them myself, but my mum went down with them a couple of years ago. She said it's the worst pain she's ever experienced so you have my sympathy. You look after yourself and get well soon. :heart:

bongosdad
28-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Shingles sounds like something shaking Stevens would get. Not had it myself but i know people who have. Its horrible so hope you get well soon. Worse pain i ever had was a kidney stone.

ozfan
28-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Thankfully no mate but I'm sorry to hear you have them. My Dad was a tough old nut but he said they really were painful.

Such a benign. Almost lighthearted. Needs to be tougher for that sort of pain. Shinglaphosis.

stateside
28-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Bongo, I have had many many kidney stones and if I had to choose between the two I would pick Shingles all day long. This is tolerable, stones are not.

stateside
28-02-2015, 04:15 PM
If any of you have had an Indian or Chinese burn given to you imagine that constantly across a nerve in your body showing up at different points all the time.

For a week I used nothing except sme anti itch spray and Claritin in the morning and Benadryl at night to help me sleep. I thought it was a large spider bite, but as it spread I thought the toxins were spreading giving me more allergies.

So I went to the Dr and found out the real reason.

She gave me a strong nerve med for nighttime and it has carried over to this morning making me a little groggy and she gave me a viral pill. Apart from that just an Ice pack.

bongosdad
01-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Isn't that for erectile disfunction?

stateside
01-03-2015, 04:41 PM
No a viral pill not a virile pill. :D :D

stateside
02-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Why do they sell drugs like this? I see adverts all the time stating all the side affects drugs have. I took one of these drugs without recalling the advert.

My Dr prescribed it for the pain. It is for depression, but it works for deadening the nerves I guess.

I took it on Friday night. Saturday I watch Villa play and was ready to kill someone. My wife walked in and I told her I am so angry right now. She had to go out and told me not to kill Sera (who is also sick right now) :-)

The drug slowly wore off during the day and the night I took my next one. No problem until the next day about the same time as the previous day I started getting uncontrollably depressed. All the crap in my past came up in my head and then all the crap I may or may not have to deal with in the future came up and it seemed like a better idea to just end it now. For about ten minutes my head was screaming at me to get the remaining pills and pop them all at once.

I listened to this voice until I got tire

MissWinnie
03-03-2015, 08:55 AM
So, if we are all red carded this week, and the board goes silent, we'll know why. :)

Seriously, that's really concerning that you are getting those kind of symptoms from taking something prescribed to you by your Dr. I hope you don't mind me being a bossy boots sticky beak Winnie, and saying I really hope you go back to your Dr, who can hopefully give you something else to help with the pain. :heart:

I remember my mum also being prescribed anti-depressants when she had shingles - something to do with the way serotonin is released and then absorbed back has an impact on nerve ends and so helps with the pain, if I remember correctly. She was fine with them though - no side effects.

Your story reminded me about a big fuss in the media about the side effects one of the newer antidepressants (I can't remember what it was called) a few years ago. Really similar symptoms to the one's you describe, and then further pretty horrific withdrawal symptoms when they tried to come off them.

bongosdad
03-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Im not joking now Stateside but it
it would probably be more beneficial if you smoke weed for a few weeks or vape it. Im sure its legal now in your state. The only side you would get is the possibility of ending up believing in bigfoot but thats better than being angry all the time.

A few years ago I used champix for giving up smoking. That was originally tested on people for depression and the patients all gave up smoking instead apparenly. They warned me of the apparent suicidal thoughts ect and I did have a few terrible angry moments and refused to take them again.

stateside
03-03-2015, 11:56 AM
I did call the Dr to report my results. I told the receptionist that the drug in my opinion was evil. She just sniffed back that it has been a godsend to many people.

The Dr was supposed to call me back, she may have called on my landline, but by habit I let that go to voicemail and I rarely check it.

So, I haven't replaced the drug and seem to be handling it okay without anything and no Bongo, weed is very much illegal in Florida.

bongosdad
03-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Its odd in the US regarding the weed law. I think its California where its legal but other states you can go to prison thats so wrong imo. To me its like sending someone to prison for going down the off licence.
Then we legally get given drugs we know little about that make you want to commit suicide?

MissWinnie
05-03-2015, 01:23 AM
I did call the Dr to report my results. I told the receptionist that the drug in my opinion was evil. She just sniffed back that it has been a godsend to many people.

The Dr was supposed to call me back, she may have called on my landline, but by habit I let that go to voicemail and I rarely check it.

So, I haven't replaced the drug and seem to be handling it okay without anything and no Bongo, weed is very much illegal in Florida.

Really glad you've stopped taking them, Statesey, and seem to be managing without anything.

An inappropriate response from the Receptionist. They may help a lot of people, but they left you feeling suicidal. Should be taken seriously, I think! You realised it was the drugs - some people might not when left feeling that way, and may act on it. Really scary ...

I know it can take a while to get over shingles, but hope that you start feeling a bit better, and will in less pain very soon ...

stateside
05-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Worse is the bloody flu bug I picked up on Tuesday.

At least I found out chick-FiL-a has the best chicken soup!!

NuclearDevice
05-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Don't know if any of this info is of any help.

I take one of the anti depressant drugs in small quantities as a muscle relaxant to help me sleep, and it seems to help, but i do feel drowsy in the morning. I put any recent bouts of depression down to Villa performances than the drug :P

I also suffer from gout - something I'd never wish upon my worst enemy as the pain is agony when I've had full on attacks - and I have some fantastic anti inflammatory drugs for that if an attack comes on - much better than paracetamol or ibuprofen. It's called indomethacin, but don't know if that might help shingles.

Hope you get over it soon.

:heart: :heart: - view external link (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Treatment.aspx)

stateside
06-03-2015, 02:37 AM
Thanks, I am really feeling like the worst is over now. Just a runny nose and deep loud cough from the flu, but the shingles rarely hurt now.

Everyone is so scared of catching them, I'm scared of what they actually have to do to me to catch them.

ozfan
06-03-2015, 11:52 PM
From memory it's not contagious if you've had chicken pox.

Good to read you're on the mend. :)

There have been huge failures in pharma products. Anti depressants quietly removed after clear suicide links. cardio products helping one problem whilst creating another after long-term use. Those that know me know a pharma product tried to take me out last year.

Medicine went wrong when profit became the first priority.

bongosdad
07-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Have a splif - view external link (http://m.ibtimes.com/%E2%80%98medical%E2%80%99-marijuana-10-health-benefits-legitimize-legalization-742456)