PDA

View Full Version : New groundsman sought

jwok
18-03-2015, 11:30 AM
The club have advertised the groundsman's position on the official site.

Any budding gardeners out there? - view external link (http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/03/18/vacancy-head-groundsman/)

sieb1886
18-03-2015, 10:40 PM
I doubt the combined efforts of Alan Titchmash and the Beechgrove Gairdners would do anything to improve our pitch !

Sup3rw3ll
18-03-2015, 10:53 PM
an interesting post, does this show an admittance that the current parties were not effective ?

bheron
18-03-2015, 11:14 PM
As a 'Well fan for over 40 years, I can honestly say that it is a hopeless job. No groundsman in all that time has been able to do anything with it, and there is no way any new groundsman will do any better.

Wellup4it
19-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Is it possible that the previous postholder simply moved on? this isn't entirely unknown in the employment field.

For anyone who thinks our pitch hasn't improved check out pictures of it 20 or 30 years ago.

Half_Can_Dan
19-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Honestly if we were allowed years ago to put in a artificialsurface think of the money we would have saved but its scottish fitba couldnt be that progressive in our top league.

Mind when we were chucking more cash at the pitch than we were at the team!We spent a small fortune getting it to where it is now and all could have be solved with one of those new astro parks.

Handsome_Devil
20-03-2015, 07:36 AM
It was also fine - or at least perfectly acceptable by the standards of the time - before we first put built the south stand and then, even worse, put in undersoil heating.

JOHHNYG
20-03-2015, 03:57 PM
As a 'Well fan for over 40 years, I can honestly say that it is a hopeless job. No groundsman in all that time has been able to do anything with it, and there is no way any new groundsman will do any better.

As a Well fan for 60 years I disagree entirely.
The late Andy Russell will be spinning in his grave with a comment like that.
Andy kept the pitch in pristine condition and waterlogging was never a problem.
As mentioned already, the problems of the last 20 years have been caused by the combination of the two tier South Stand shadowing the pitch and drainage problems linked to the undersoil heating.
I never thought I would favour an artificial surface but all things considered it may be the most economical way forward for the club and the community.