PDA

View Full Version : UK Election Carnage

NuclearDevice
08-05-2015, 10:08 AM
What a car crash for the Lib Dems ? :O

SNP 56 out of 59 seats in Scotland ? :O

Tory Majority ? :O

Labour losing seats to all and sundry ? :O

No-one would have predicted any of this 24 hours ago.

I must admit to being quietly pleased that we haven't got a Labour/SNP coalition as we'd have been led into more debt and chaos than we'd ever experienced before - worse than the 1978 winter of discontent - so at least the result should keep the financial wolves from the door. I just hope the Tories don't lurch to the right and f it all up for the country as a whole.

Will David Milliband come back from the US to take over from his brother, who, imo, could never be leader of the UK as he had no statesman like characteristics and no gravitas.

MissWinnie
10-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Not shocked, Nuc - I know the polls weren't predicting this, but, historically, people tend to be awfully shy about admitting that they are planning to vote for the Tories, so I had a horrible feeling that this was going to happen. Bitterly disappointed, however.

I think the Lib Dems lost a lot of support from their more natural voters after effectively "doing a deal with the 'devil'" by forming a coalition with the Tories after the last election - a left leaning party aiding and abetting a right wing party to govern - although they were at least able to temper right wing excesses, I suppose. A shame that the Lib Dem leadership let down all the grass roots Lib Dems, who, in the majority of cases are decent people who care ...

The impact of the SNP obviously cannot be discounted either, but I agree with you that Ed Milliband just didn't have the gravitas that folks expect in a PM and just maybe didn't have the confidence in him to do a good job. Our mainly right wing press helped