PDA

View Full Version : The Albentosa debate

thegaffer9
10-05-2015, 10:38 PM
It has become apparent that a number of viewers are yet to be convinced on the signing of Raul. It's a fair point on reflection so far.
However, I bet he'd be the first to say (in Spanish) that we haven't seen the best of him yet.
He was thrust in on occasions at the deep end, in differing systems with differing players. He's had to overcome slight injury worries, a language barrier, his girlfriend moaning about the weather and adjusting to the speed and physicality of the championship.
Let's not forget, signing this beast of a man was a real coup. 11 clubs were after him, some with potential greater pedigree and stature than ours truely. He chose Derby and he chose us for numerous reasons, not least because we have Steve in charge.
I know for a fact that at least 3 championship clubs were chasing him. I have a quite a senior contact on the staff at Brighton who confirmed their interest In him at the time and couldn't believe we'd knicked him not just from under their noses. In his wo

fedupwitwk
10-05-2015, 10:57 PM
I agree and his signing from Eibar ccoincides with their collapse in form. I also understand that he is a right sided central defender, so interesting to see if he gets games there next season.

Paperclip
11-05-2015, 05:47 AM
We've paid £600k for a player we could have signed for free in the summer,.
The hype surrounding his signing raised expectations.
If we'd signed him on a free it would have been a lot easier for both parties.

He is tall but slow and not as physically strong as you might imagine.
The language is an issue because the back four need to communicate.

a strange signing.

Ramstein
11-05-2015, 06:11 AM
I agree in those points to an extent but you still expect to see glimpses in a game of the potential that people were speaking regarding this guy.

My main observation with him so far is his distribution...he just lumps it forward. He's not quick, he appears cumbersome and unable to keep up with the game. I hope it is just a 'transition' but unless he makes an amazing transformation I can't see it.

Whilst many clubs were looking at him that means very little to me...many cruddy players move to clubs which often fathoms belief. All I will say, if he is as good as people were making out he would have been Premier League bound.

He's an odd signing and I'm not convinced at all.

dcfcdavecov
11-05-2015, 08:11 AM
We've paid £600k for a player we could have signed for free in the summer,.
The hype surrounding his signing raised expectations.
If we'd signed him on a free it would have been a lot easier for both parties.

He is tall but slow and not as physically strong as you might imagine.
The language is an issue because the back four need to communicate.

a strange signing.

Too slow.

Yeah, cos Tommy Smith, Berra, Hobbs, Ayala etc etc are all fast.

I've seen enough to think he'll be our best CB next season. When someone is actually willing to show for the ball in midfield or one of the full-backs at least.

Rapid
11-05-2015, 09:43 AM
it's an interesting one. I pointed out when he first joined he'd need time to settle. there's definitely contrasting evidence to whether he'll end up being good or not.

reasons why he may come good:

language barrier
getting used to team mates/style of play
settling into a new culture off the pitch
just looking at his body language it's clear that he hasn't fit in with anyone yet
outstanding reputation before he came

reasons why he may not come good:

there are certain attributes you require as a footballer and specifically for a defender.

weak. for his size/height he is out muscled and beat in the air too often. is this something he can change?

slow as ****, particularly on the turn. this is definitely something he can't change. you can't teach a bloke at this stage in his life to run faster.

poor reactions. the reading goal from a corner a good example. ball watching and not reacting to lose balls isn't something that can be taught either.

tendency to lump it forward. this is s

dcfcdavecov
11-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Per Mertesacker

Martin Demichelis

There's loads with no pace who take a while to adjust. He'll be fine.

AngryRam
11-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Per Mertesacker

Martin Demichelis

I'm with Dave here.. Give him time he will be okay. 5 months here aint enough to judge him on.
He needs to learn quickly though as we are not in a position to carry someone in that position.

>:(

Old codger
11-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I would be the first to admit that facts and figures do not tell the whole story .However since Juan signed for Derby, his previous club Eibar have suffered what can only be described as a massive loss of form. Figures set out below show what happened in La Liga before and after his transfer.
Pre signing. Played 18. Won 7. Drew 6. Lost 6 goals for and against. F24 A25
After signing Played 18. Won 1. Drew 1 Lost 15 goals for and against. F6. A 30.
Points before 27 and after 4
I realise that some players make an instant connection with supporters and some do not, but perhaps what is shown above indicates that he has been very much missed at Eibar.
I believe that he should be given some time to drop into Champioship mode and
That any criticism should wait until next season

Rapid
11-05-2015, 01:39 PM
.However since Juan signed for Derby, his previous club Eibar have suffered what can only be described as a massive loss of form.

the only problem is...so have we! :blue:

Juan XD

RamBling
11-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Remember Paul McGrath. Could barely walk and couldn't train but what a defender.

memyselfani
11-05-2015, 04:18 PM
[quote="thegaffer9"]It has become apparent that a number of viewers are yet to be convinced on the signing of Raul. It's a fair point on reflection so far.
However, I bet he'd be the first to say (in Spanish) that we haven't seen the best of him yet.
He was thrust in on occasions at the deep end, in differing systems with differing players. He's had to overcome slight injury worries, a language barrier, his girlfriend moaning about the weather and adjusting to the speed and physicality of the championship.
Let's not forget, signing this beast of a man was a real coup. 11 clubs were after him, some with potential greater pedigree and stature than ours truely. He chose Derby and he chose us for numerous reasons, not least because we have Steve in charge.
I know for a fact that at least 3 championship clubs were chasing him. I have a quite a senior contact on the staff at Brighton who confirmed their interest In him at the time and couldn't believe we'd knicke

eddy779h34
11-05-2015, 09:56 PM
The only 45 minutes he played quite ok. I thought, was against Chesterfield. When he played sweeper , but got took off at half time ,which I thought was a bit harsh on him
as he did his job in that role , but the rest of the team couldn't adapt to the system
In my opinion he is a sweeper where he can't get exposed playing a high line

wristslasher_909
12-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Per Mertesacker

Martin Demichelis

Yep. Per Mertesacker looked an absolute donkey for 10 games!

He is quite similar in style.

vanderlaans_header
12-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Per Mertesacker

Martin Demichelis

Yep. Per Mertesacker looked an absolute donkey for 10 games!

He is quite similar in style.[/quote]

Yes if you lack pace then you need to have a quick brain and be a good reader of the game to compensate. Not sure if this applies to Albertosa, but we will find out. Expect this player to be paired with Keogh to start next season.

bigmattvdcfc
14-05-2015, 12:56 PM
I hope not, not convinced at all. Like some of the above posters have said, you can't teach speed, and he doesn't compensate his lack of pace with a great reading of the game, often appears to be ball watching.

The defence needs a huge upgrade, the failings in the last half of the season were inexcusable. I commanding CB must be a priority.

swaledale
14-05-2015, 10:30 PM
A foreign player is a gamble, but it wasn't just Derby who were interested in him so though thus far he has not been spectacular, I kinda trust the coaching staff and scouts judgement rather more than the "experts" on here!