PDA

View Full Version : Michael Raynes

nobbyblue
22-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Carlisle fan here. We've just signed Michael Raynes and was wondering what he was like. I see he spent a year at your place a while back.

Any good?

gramiller1959
22-05-2015, 03:55 PM
if my memory serves me right he was garbage !

but my memory is not what it used to be :)

JohnLeedsMiller
22-05-2015, 05:58 PM
I thought he was alright. Pretty solid for League 2 from what I remember. Most Rotherham fans will have blocked his time with us from memory. We were at Don Valley Stadium so given the state of the pitch and the distance we were away from the players it was hard to judge exactly how good or bad he was. Not going to set the world on fire but then again you don't want that from a defender anyway.

Good luck for next season.

wrinkly
22-05-2015, 09:23 PM
I thought he was alright. Pretty solid for League 2 from what I remember. Most Rotherham fans will have blocked his time with us from memory. We were at Don Valley Stadium so given the state of the pitch and the distance we were away from the players it was hard to judge exactly how good or bad he was. Not going to set the world on fire but then again you don't want that from a defender anyway.

Good luck for next season.

For me it was hard to see which way we were kicking at Don Valley, never mind who was in the team and how well they were playing.

Also that time period is too recent for me. at my ripe old age I forget things which happened last week but remember vividly events of 30 years ago :blue:

So: Michael Raynes - who?
Willie Raynes - now your talking - what a record he had ;D

clarkey1974
22-05-2015, 09:24 PM
You would probably better off getting kevin gray out of retirement pal..Raynes is the most ungainly centre half i have seen for a while.I think at DVS when he got turned and done for pace by chris porter in one of his early games told me everything i needed to know.

Also i noticed he been shuttled around a few basement clubs recently who dudn't seem keen on keeping him for long,which is a worry.Will win an average amount of headers and generally mop up.that maybe good enough if you have a steady head at side of him,but average at best in my opinion.

mikemiller
23-05-2015, 04:26 PM
I remember him stupidly getting sent off in a 2-3 defeat at "lowly Dagenham" - he was generally fairly poor, even by bottom division standards, and didn't last long with Steve Evans in charge