PDA

View Full Version : Niall McGinn

Pages : [1] 2

TheDonRoses
26-05-2015, 06:44 AM
Papers this morning linking both Leeds and Bolton ready to bid, I'd be sorry to see him go

Pacman1903
26-05-2015, 06:48 AM
He would be committing football career suicide if he signed for either. Two sh@te clubs going nowhere.

If he signed for a decent club then fair dos but they are both garbage

LovellWillTearUApart
26-05-2015, 06:51 AM
3 million and he can go. Thankfully we're now in a position where we don't have to accept the first offer that comes along.

Tubilay
26-05-2015, 07:25 AM
It's always a bit worrying when English clubs are linked. However, I'd point out two great big red flags in these stories.

1. Neil Lennon may have been his manager at Celtic, but he was also one of the main reasons he wanted out of there. All the talk from those in the know suggests they didn't get on at all.

2. I'm not sure either Bolton or Leeds are in a position to pay even a modest seven figure transfer fee.

FCSIONFIRSTGAME
26-05-2015, 07:35 AM
This is just something that we need to accept. Clubs will be sniffing about quite a lot of our squad I would imagine. That is the very nature of being successful.

The very satisfying thing for me is that for the first time in a long time, the club hold most of the cards.

Most of our players are tied up medium to long term so if any players do move on then it will be for a lot of money.

adeen
26-05-2015, 09:42 AM
I'd happily take 2 million for McGinn and invest it all in a really good game changing player from abroad.

Van Dijk only cost Celtic 2.6 million.

Hearts seem to be plucking players from nowhere for fuc k all.

Pacman1903
26-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Difference is Dick Van Dick has proved hes the real deal(albeit can be a petulant bas when he wants),he will also get punted for a profit.

Hearts players are yet to prove anything, could be complete duds

Edit- That Zefuik of fit ever is an obese f@ck. Lets see him in the prem

MLAF44
26-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Possibly I am in the minority herr but I would be gutted to see him leave, regardless of the fee! Aside from Jonny he is the one player that can produce that piece of magic to win a game we are struggling in!

Don't do anything daft Niall

Pacman1903
26-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Possibly I am in the minority herr but I would be gutted to see him leave, regardless of the fee! Aside from Jonny he is the one player that can produce that piece of magic to win a game we are struggling in!

I agree but if he moves to a decent team with ambitions then fair enough, we canna say anything. The two afforementioned clubs are rank and id be highly dissapointed if he ended somewhere like that

PitchMick2013
26-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I'd happily take 2 million for McGinn and invest it all in a really good game changing player from abroad.

Wages though?

slyfox
26-05-2015, 09:59 AM

I hardly think we can attract a 2 million pound player from abroad and expect him to train in a park.

MLAF44
26-05-2015, 09:59 AM

I agree but if he moves to a decent team with ambitions then fair enough, we canna say anything. The two afforementioned clubs are rank and id be highly dissapointed if he ended somewhere like that[/quote]

Yeah agree with this, although I would prefer him stay with us :D

1903ok
26-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Seems like the weegie press stirring things. Probably a load of bull**** to try and unsettle us.
Leeds are a big club in still but Bolton with the ginger turd, you must be joking!

DollyLongstaffe
26-05-2015, 11:04 AM
I hope there's no truth in this.

I'm unconvinced by the argument we could do better with the money. In the first place, Aberdeen may be a club who can sell a player for 7 figures, but we're not going to spend that on a transfer fee.

In the second, an alarmingly large percentage of guys who are good at one club are poor at the next. Goodwillie was a £2M player. We know McGinn a good player at our club, in our team, with our manager. If we get a million for him and replaced him with a million pound player we're letting go a million pound player who fits in here in exchange for a pig in a poke.

Also there's no point in comparing what we could sign for £2M and what Celtic can sign for £2M. Celtic pay 6 times higher wages, play in the Champions League, can guarantee medals and most important have an established record of developing players who go on to the really lucrative leagues.

Banffer_Don
26-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Can we nae just try and convince Leeds and Bolton that Pawlett is just as good?

Part of the nature of being a successful team is that the bigger clubs (in terms of finances) will be interested in players like McGinn.

Also, if you were the Leeds or Bolton manager and you wanted to sign a winger from Aberdeen, would McGinn really be top of that list?

FCSIONFIRSTGAME
26-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Maybe reading too much into it but an interesting quote from DM in todays Deaving Depress.

"The (fans) should take confidence from the knowledge that the majority of the good players we already have will still be here"

Does this suggest that one or two of good players may be on their way out ?

he also states that we can look forward to seeing other good players arrive in the next few weeks.

All in all , an interesting summer ahead.

Gallus79
26-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I agree - think there is going to be some serious activity in and out of Aberdeen this summer. When you consider Lennon will be recruiting, Alex Neil will be recruiting and Steve Evans will be recruiting. All have form with Scottish Players and the league up here.

McGinn is the one I don't want to go however, as he is a fairly unique player - and would be expensive to replace. My fear is that McGinn will be seriously tempted to move down to the land of the big bucks, especially as his agent has proved to be a nuisance. Then there is the Lennon factor.

You would need to be talking serious cash - 2.5-3 million in my opinion. That would allow Derek to go sign some serious quality and set a marker down for our talent's value thereafter.

I trust Derek and AFC to play this one right.

IveSeenTheLight
26-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Does this suggest that one or two of good players may be on their way out ?

I heard a rumour (nothing more) that Logan is wanting to go back down south to be near his family.

I think that may be a position we need to carefully consider in case he does go.

jsandls645
26-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Would be a big loss to lose Niall. We should take it as a compliment that other clubs are looking at our players. Shows how well we have been doing. There is ofcourse the bigger wages factor but would you rather go to a club fighting off relegation, up to their eyes in debt. Or stay at a club which is on the up, debt free and competing in Europe. No brainer

dandies_on_tour
26-05-2015, 03:14 PM
No Brainer for you maybe! But most people who were offered to go from £3K a week to £8K a week will be saying thank you very much where do i sign.
They have a short time to make money out of football and when at peak which Mcginn is he needs to make the cash. We will never get £2M+ for him though like some state. £1.5M would be maximum - although may have a sell on fee in contract so could be as little as £1M.

Would be a big loss to lose Niall. We should take it as a compliment that other clubs are looking at our players. Shows how well we have been doing. There is ofcourse the bigger wages factor but would you rather go to a club fighting off relegation, up to their eyes in debt. Or stay at a club which is on the up, debt free and competing in Europe. No brainer

lowrie68
26-05-2015, 05:38 PM
one site has them pre-pairing a £500000 bid, I hope its a load of tosh see link.
http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com

TouchlineTantrum
26-05-2015, 05:51 PM
They don't have the money to buy him, plus there not playing Europa league what a shame.

Why would anyone want to leave when success is around corner.

Career move to oblivion down the road, staying with us next season Silverware is a reality.

So_cal_Dandie
26-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I hope these rumors are not true, as Niall is a very important player.

If they are then lets hope we get the best deal possible.

Cannot see the player saying no to either of the clubs listed, the opportunity to earn the type of money available for Niall at this stage of his career would seem to good for him to turn down.

Cannot think we would get any more then 1 million though!

BeachEndLeftSide
26-05-2015, 06:18 PM
one site has them pre-pairing a £500000 bid, I hope its a load of tosh see link.
http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com

What a load of sh1te. £500,000??

Niall, Adam and Jonny would be the hardest to replace and Niall's departure would have a huge impact on the team.

His assists and goals combined, his ability to play up front or on either wing, his composure on the ball and the fact that he's an integral part of a national squad makes me laugh at this figure. I'm sure Deek would think the same way.

We'll soon be into transfer silly season and these reports just fuel the frenzy! If you compare Niall to Armstrong and add in extra for length of contract and proven consistency over a number of seasons, £2M would be a reasonable figure. And no I'm nae joking: just think what those goals and assists have earned the club.

So_cal_Dandie
26-05-2015, 06:38 PM
We'll soon be into transfer silly season and these reports just fuel the frenzy! If you compare Niall to Armstrong and add in extra for length of contract and proven consistency over a number of seasons, £2M would be a reasonable figure. And no I'm nae joking: just think what those goals and assists have earned the club.

Armstrong did not go for £2M, did he?? Added to the fact Celtic paid extra because Armstrong is 23 and there was a least one EPL club in for him.

Niall going to a mid table championship club, with maybe one more interested, is not going to drive the price up to the same level as Armstrong's.

the_left_side
26-05-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't think it would be all about the money available for niall if he was to move on. He has a couple if successful restaurants in Belfast so don't think he is short of a penny or two.

If the right offer came in from the right club then fair enough, but don't think he is in any rush to leave just yet.

gabd
26-05-2015, 09:35 PM
I'd be gutted if he went, he's the one and only truly class player on our books

Pacman1903
26-05-2015, 10:47 PM

Is he? :?

ragnarok
27-05-2015, 12:41 AM
Yes, he is.

We have plenty of good players, but no one else with McGinn's technical class. We haven't had a player who looks so at ease on the ball since Jess.

There were Leeds rumours last summer as well and I'm pretty sure some folk were convinced a bid was imminent back then.

As others have pointed out, I doubt he would go to Bolton to play for Lennon again.

He's got plenty of time left on his contract so any club that wants to sign him needs to put forward a seven figure bid.

Aldo1983
27-05-2015, 06:02 AM
He is, by far, our most skillfull and technically gifted player.

scobiemacd
27-05-2015, 07:42 AM
His first touch , lay off for Cammy Smith to run through on goal on Sunday was the dug's nuts.

SimmieFour
27-05-2015, 08:05 AM
I hope these rumors are not true, as Niall is a very important player.

If they are then lets hope we get the best deal possible.

Cannot see the player saying no to either of the clubs listed, the opportunity to earn the type of money available for Niall at this stage of his career would seem to good for him to turn down.

Cannot think we would get any more then 1 million though!

Don't understand this logic. He's got over 2 years of his deal to go and £1 million is peanuts to big English Championship clubs. A regular international and one of our key players. We should be looking to start the bidding at £2 million. The £500k being quoted is quite frankly laughable. Who we going to get to replace him with that sort of cash?

Pacman1903
27-05-2015, 08:10 AM

This may be correct but he has a nack af dissapearing at times.

Nae denying hes a cracking player, but im just saying he wouldnt be the first on my teamsheet.

xtrmntr75
27-05-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm with the majority. He's a cracking player and is worth a lot more to us than £500,000 to £1M. Unless it's a bid above £2M from someone like Norwich, then he stays.

DollyLongstaffe
27-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Nae denying hes a cracking player, but im just saying he wouldnt be the first on my teamsheet.[/quote]

I wouldn't accuse him of disappearing. He has spells of poor form but that's true of almost every player especially creative ones. But he's always a trier.

His main failing is he's not physically brave and will chicken out of 50/50s etc.

I can live with that because with his ability if he was a hard ******* as well he wouldn't be here. But we've always had a section of our support who can forgive a hard ******* for being useless but can't forgive a skilful player for not being hard. He'll always have his critics, especially if his form shades a bit.

He'd be an automatic pick in my side.

MalagaSheep
27-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Niall, tell your agent to tell the english to get to feck, had my fingers burnt down there already!
If McGinn is to leave us then he should try his luck Europe, Spain,France,Germany,Holland or Portugal and only if the money is right for the Dons, no less than £2m at least!
Dont want him to leave tho, but if he goes back down south then thats a bad move football wise!
£500,000 to £1m! Get to f**k!

Aldo1983
27-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Nae denying hes a cracking player, but im just saying he wouldnt be the first on my teamsheet.[/quote]

I wouldn't accuse him of disappearing. He has spells of poor form but that's true of almost every player especially creative ones. But he's always a trier.

His main failing is he's not physically brave and will chicken out of 50/50s etc.

I can live with that because with his ability if he was a hard ******* as well he wouldn't be here. But we've always had a section of our support who can forgive a hard ******* for being useless but can't forgive a skilful player for not being hard. He'll always have his critics, especially if his form shades a bit.

He'd be an automatic pick in my side.[/

thestooge
27-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Even when he has a quiet game, he's the man most likely to.

I've been critical of him in the past but an on form McGinn is unplayable in this league.

It's only natural our players are now sought after, at least we have them tied down to decent deals. Suspect this is just paper talk just now, two clubs with tenuous connections to the player in a paper trying to shift units.

CalumGilhooly
13-06-2015, 06:04 PM
On the bench this evening for the Romania match.

pwlp
13-06-2015, 07:11 PM

Is he? :?[/quote]

Pretty much, check his assists stats, just about top in the league if I mind right...

AberdeenArnold
24-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Thought this deserved a wee bump.

Must have had only a fortnights rest since last season.

Has been superb over the European adventure so far.

It's not just the goals. It the experience and confidence that he brings to the team.

First on the team sheet at the momment for me.

Landvetter83
24-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Thought this deserved a wee bump.

Must have had only a fortnights rest since last season.

Has been superb over the European adventure so far.

It's not just the goals. It the experience and confidence that he brings to the team.

First on the team sheet at the momment for me.

Can't argue with his two goals ... ***** at the time in both games. However, I was ragin' at him a few times last night playing the ball back to Loge under pressure. Took his goal brilliantly - can't argue with that. Suspect the young loon Scott Wright may get a few sub outings this season to give McGinn a rest in some games. Wright is a loon to watch ...

theram1975
24-07-2015, 10:55 PM
His celebration after his goal last night was the happiest I've ever seen him. Actually it was probably one of the best pile in celebrations I've seen for a while.

Pauldolski10
25-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I have said it before ans i will say it again. He is the best fitba player at our club

RosemountRed
25-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Let's hope he's back to his best on a consistent basis as we all know he was completely ineffective at times throughout last season. Can't imagine we'll ever see him bang in 20 goals in a season again but as stated he is one of our best players, a real game changer.

Aldo1983
25-07-2015, 10:42 AM
I have said it before ans i will say it again. He is the best fitba player at our club

I've said the same many a time as well.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j5x55f.jpg

stonefish100
25-07-2015, 11:23 AM

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j5x55f.jpg[/quote]

Techinque wise I'd agree. He's also one of the most inconsistent. When he's good, he's magic, but can go for games at a time without doing anything. Deeks needs to be able to rotate him when he's not on form, played a lot of games in past few seasons

kkong
25-07-2015, 12:30 PM

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j5x55f.jpg[/quote]

Your photo has been 'shopped.

The original is below.

http://i.imgur.com/sQCYEU3.jpg

DollyLongstaffe
25-07-2015, 03:13 PM

I'd agree with that although the title of best player at the club might shift to Shinnie now.

McGinn's flaws won't go away - he'll never be the bravest and he'll never be the most consistent. But even when he's having an indifferent game he's usually contributing a lot more than his occasional detractors allow. He finds space, he retains possession, and is the likeliest of our players to find the unexpected pass, shot or cross that changes the game.

The idea that he should be "rotated" is lunacy. He's a confidence player (as are most flair players) and nothing would kill that confidence faster or more completely than being dropped every time he has a poor game. In any case he almost invariably justifies his selection even when having a poor game by his own standards.

Fortunately I'm confident Deek knows all this better than anybod

Aldo1983
13-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Shinnie and a couple of others quite rightly getting the credit they deserve but still one of the most important players we've had for years.

Good to see him celebrating properly at our two goals yesterday. His freekick was a peach.

Red_Don
13-09-2015, 10:17 PM
I agree about the celebrations and the free kick but other than that I thought he was very quiet yesterday. He's had a good start to the season though.

CalumGilhooly
20-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Take a bow son. Take a bow.

MalagaSheep
20-09-2015, 03:48 PM
What a ****ing player! what a ****ing goal!

Girniedon
20-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Pure skill, speed, experience, and craft.
Master class. Just excellent.
O:) O:)

irnbru1903
20-09-2015, 03:56 PM
***** we hold on to this guy for as long as possible. He oozes class especially when he is up for it as he appears to be this season. No shortage of confidence now :D B)

pwlp
20-09-2015, 04:06 PM
McGinn in the first half was utterly, utterly brilliant. Set up two goals, scored a brilliant individual goal and caused Hearts all kinds of problems. I love him.

jackdon
20-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Think Michael O'Neill would have been impressed by his performance today, the 2nd goal was sublime.
Should really have scored another in 2nd half.

BeachEndLeftSide
20-09-2015, 05:12 PM
If we keep this form up, I can def see Timmy playing the financial card in January and offering a couple of million for Niall & Jonny. They have previous on this crime.

redstarfk
20-09-2015, 05:27 PM
I think Shinnie would be top of their list from our team

Aldo1983
20-09-2015, 05:47 PM
There's absolutely no chance we will be selling anyone to Celtic in January. McGinn might be a Celtic "fan" but he's been a great player for us, the best player we've had in years.

:heart:

xtrmntr75
20-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Great game today. I agree he's been our best player for a few years now. He'll have games where he isn't so influential but always bounces back.

TheDeeDon
20-09-2015, 07:22 PM
An infectous character who just seems to enjoy playing football and is very consistent, even when he has a poor game he still usually does something of note.

I wasn't a huge Craig Brown fan, but signing McGinn and Hayes was a masterstroke on his part, even though he didn't know where to play Hayes..

pieandbovrilman
20-09-2015, 07:56 PM
For me he's our best player and should be first on the team sheet.
Yes he had a tendency to drift in and out of games but he's the one player we have who is capable of creating something from nothing and can come up with that wee but of magic even when he hasn't been involved in the game.
The gut is a real match winner and will be instrumental in this, our title winning , season!

redordead72
20-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Terribly inconsistent. Should be drapped straightaway. If he cannae produce at least twa assists per game, he's oot.

fittiered
20-09-2015, 09:58 PM
See the angry farts fans as he runs by them after scoring the goal of the month? That could be goal of the season...

AberdeenArnold
20-09-2015, 10:17 PM
20th Septemer 2015.

The day the that Niall Mcginn totally destroyed the diet huns.

Who said he was the best footballer at our club?

Looking forward to playing them with Hayes.

Aldo1983
13-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Player of the month. Well done. Well deserved.

gabd
14-10-2015, 12:00 AM
No doubt in my mind he's the best player we have, Jonny hayes or no Jonny Hayes. And the stats back that up. He had more assists in the spl last season than anybody else and only just missed out on spl player of the year the previous year
That wont stop folk on here having a regular pop at him of course.

OleOle
14-10-2015, 05:54 AM
Surely a guy who goes to watch timmy against Killie and has a face like he's sooking a lemon cannae win player of the month ? ;-)

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 10:05 PM
So who thinks he is still our best player. On his day he can be great but him being on his day is turning into a complete rarity. When was his last very good game. Hearts away? 20th Sept

I have said for months now, he is a waste of a shirt much more than he has a good game. Tonight he was absolutley f@cking abysmal. Sh@te control, his passing was rank then he f@cked off never to be seen again. Player gets slated on here and he seems to get away with it its never him. I honestly think he should not be in the team just now.

How would the McGinn fans rate him tonight. Honestly out of ten?

khawaga
15-02-2016, 10:07 PM
He had a poor night. He is still one of our best players by far.

E_doN
15-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Im a fan. Yes he blows hot and cold. Tonight he was absolutely Baltic......2.5/10

55/60 minutes in he should have been hooked. ANYONE else would have been better.

Niall wasn't the only poor performer tonight though. Just one of many and losing Hayes who is our true game changer was a huge loss

jackdon
15-02-2016, 10:11 PM
My god when Niall is bad, he is bad.
Completely disinterested.
One of the worst performances I have ever witnessed by a dons player, aye that bad !

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 10:12 PM
He had a poor night. He is still one of our best players by far.

But when do we see it these days. He is our most inconsistent player by a mile not that he hits top form very often.

Logan, McLean, Rooney, Jonny, Shinnie, Flood(missed him tonight) are far more important to us than Niall is. Half the team. He is not our best player or even close

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 10:13 PM
My god when Niall is bad, he is bad.
Completely disinterested.
One of the worst performances I have ever witnessed by a dons player, aye that bad !

But worryingly its not the first time he has pulled out a stinker like that this season. That was absolutley shocking tonight but still managed to stay on the park. Questions have to be asked there

Aldo1983
15-02-2016, 10:22 PM
I normally back him but that was atrocious. Stupid ****. Get your finger out.

rico94
15-02-2016, 10:30 PM
He was very poor tonight and has been for a while,the problem is he has still scored 9 goals this season and has the most assists in the league.Jonny Hayes is more exciting to watch but his goal return is poor and his crossing is terrible more times than not.

He wasn't the worst player tonight by the way,that would be Taylor who let them back in the game,stupidly stuck his foot out when Collum was looking for any excuse to give them a pen and set up the boy for the 3rd goal.Still a terrible performance from McGinn though.

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 10:36 PM
He was very poor tonight and has been for a while,the problem is he has still scored 9 goals this season and has the most assists in the league.Jonny Hayes is more exciting to watch but his goal return is poor and his crossing is terrible more times than not.

He wasn't the worst player tonight by the way,that would be Taylor who let them back in the game,stupidly stuck his foot out when Collum was looking for any excuse to give them a pen and set up the boy for the 3rd goal.Still a terrible performance from McGinn though.

Have you got the stats to hand. How many games has he scored in, and across how many games does his assists cover.

Dougs_Dons
15-02-2016, 10:44 PM
When hes on his game he is our most creative player and biggest threat, But on many occasions when it matters he doesn't turn up and actually looks like he can't be arsed.

Suppose if he was more consistent he would not be here

thebeachend
15-02-2016, 10:45 PM
McGinn was terrible. In saying that the normal from Niall is only slightly above tonights showing. How often does he really fire, very rarely in my opinion. Looked disinterested, very lazy and that sulky fizzer of his looked like he wanted to be elsewhere. Not good enough and I hope he gets told straight that its not acceptable short changing the fans.

OleOle
15-02-2016, 10:54 PM
I think McGinn's time is up here after this season. He is being found out and beads are beginning to rattle in his training bag, especially after that debacle from him and his pal Collum tonight.

RedStarTorphins
15-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Aye, he was poor.
But that's harsh.
The last game v the Dhims, he was right up for it, putting in tackles, running & closing down.

He was poor tonight but so were a few.
Church barely touched the ball
Central defence were poor.
Did Pawlett do anything?

McGinn is our biggest creator and good for 10 goals a season.

ragnarok
15-02-2016, 10:59 PM
I think McGinn's time is up here after this season. He is being found out and beads are beginning to rattle in his training bag, especially after that debacle from him and his pal Collum tonight.

Get a f*cking grip.

TheRealSLYFOX
15-02-2016, 11:06 PM
I'd say he's completely and utterly worn out. His last 2 close season breaks have been 3 weeks due to ridiculous International friendlies in June, then our early European games. This close season will be the same. I'd leave him out for a month minimum. He's jaded and lacking any spark.
Mind you Nandos every night probably doesn't help!

rico94
15-02-2016, 11:07 PM

Have you got the stats to hand. How many games has he scored in, and across how many games does his assists cover.[/quote]

32 appearances 9 goals this season,162 appearances 51 goals in total.

Jonny Hayes has 5 goals in 32 appearances this season,152 appearances 17 goals in total.

I don't know the assists total but I keep hearing he has the most assists in the

rico94
15-02-2016, 11:09 PM

Why do you have a picture of him as your avatar? XD

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 11:10 PM
McGinn was terrible. In saying that the normal from Niall is only slightly above tonights showing. How often does he really fire, very rarely in my opinion. Looked disinterested, very lazy and that sulky fizzer of his looked like he wanted to be elsewhere. Not good enough and I hope he gets told straight that its not acceptable short changing the fans.

This is pretty exactly how i feel.

Im not saying get rid but if he doesnt buck up his ideas he should not be in the team untill his attitude adjusts

Im not having he is one of our best players. Maybe he used to be but nowhere near it now.

Best players can have a below par game now and then.

Best players dont hide when the chips are down, Niall does and does alot.

67SUPERDON
15-02-2016, 11:14 PM
On his game he's arguably our best player. Unfortunately not on his game often enogh. One good game in three is just about it and that'll never win us a championship or regular trophies. It's a real conundrum. I genuinely believe that , as good as he can be, he's a bit of a luxury that it's difficult for a side like ours to afford. Understandfully why many may not agree with this but we've got to find a way to make a good footballing side into a side mentally tough enough to win trophies.

ragnarok
15-02-2016, 11:17 PM
So we dump McGinn and bring in an honest trier instead? He's having a poor patch but anyone outside of the Tims would love to have McGinn in their team.

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 11:25 PM
So we dump McGinn and bring in an honest trier instead? He's having a poor patch but anyone outside of the Tims would love to have McGinn in their team.

We were playing against twelve tonight

What made it worse was we had 9 as McGinn was a disgrace and the worst performance of any player this season and Church was anonymous.

Again when the chips were down Niall hid. Again in a big game Niall hid. We cannot afford that. If we had any genuine title aspirations or silverware aspirations that wouldnt be happening because either

A) Niall "our best player" taking the bull by the horns

Or

B ) Niall not playing

And we are not getting either

redscot
15-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Its the fact that McGinn wants to be in the Tims team is the problem...

rico94
15-02-2016, 11:41 PM

We were playing against twelve tonight

What made it worse was we had 9 as McGinn was a disgrace and the worst performance of any player this season and Church was anonymous.

Again when the chips were down Niall hid. Again in a big game Niall hid. We cannot afford that. If we had any genuine title aspirations or silverware aspirations that wouldnt be happening because either

A) Niall "our best player" taking the bull by the horns

Or

B ) Niall not playing

And we are not getting either[/quote]

What a pile of shyte min,he was poor tonight but he wasn't the worst player on the park,Taylor had an absolute nightmare if he had cleared his lines instead of trying to be smart they wouldn't have got back in the game way bef

ragnarok
15-02-2016, 11:45 PM
And yet his contribution this season is beyond question. He has the ability to win games and his return speaks for itself. You don't become a better team by replacing a player like McGinn with someone who gives 100% but has only half the talent. You become ICT.

I'm more inclined to criticise McInnes' squad rotation policy or lack thereof as the team has finished the last two seasons completely b*ggered.

Pacman1903
15-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Its nae sh@te. What did Niall do bar give the ball away, then hide when he realised it wasnt his game. Did he try, did he f@ck did he help his team mates, did he f@ck dd he get involved, did he f@ck.

At least Rooney was involved for a spell albeit it brief and Taylor even though made mistakes still tried to get involved. He possibly could have and should have had two pens. I said Church was pish already but did he hide? Jonny going off wouldnt have helped him or Rooney

Niall should have stepped up when Jonny went off and he did the exact opposite. How he got 90 is beyond me as he would have been aswell at home cyber chatting birds. He was f@cking terrible

The only thing worse was Collum

TheRealSLYFOX
16-02-2016, 12:00 AM
To me there are 2 Nialls. One plays at 110% and is unstoppable. The second plays at 30% and is utter horse. Unfortunately we are seeing the second more and more and the first less and less. It's maybe time.....

ragnarok
16-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Believe it or not but many great players go through bad patches of form.

Gallus79
16-02-2016, 12:05 AM
If McGinn played his A game every week he wouldn't be at Pittodrie it's that simple.

When he's red hot he's unplayable, but when he's not he plays like he did vs Caley, utterly ineffective-the issue is you cannot take him off because of the former.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Believe it or not but many great players go through bad patches of form.

Its not a patch though. Its complete inconsistency which is worryingly heading towards consistent and not in a good way.

My point is and has been for f@cking months. We very rarely see a good McGinn. That is piss boilingly annoying as we know he can play and we know he can be unstoppable but he chooses not to far too regularly

It would be interesting to know what his team mates think because he is letting them down aswell as the fans

OleOle
16-02-2016, 12:29 AM
And yet his contribution this season is beyond question. He has the ability to win games and his return speaks for itself. You don't become a better team by replacing a player like McGinn with someone who gives 100% but has only half the talent. You become ICT.

I'm more inclined to criticise McInnes' squad rotation policy or lack thereof as the team has finished the last two seasons completely b*ggered.

You should get a grip, min, and wake up to reality. McGinn is nowhere to be seen when we are a threat to the tims winning the league. There is a pattern there. Ding a ling a ling a ling a ling !

ragnarok
16-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Only in your deluded mind. You do understand the difference between correlation and causation?

OleOle
16-02-2016, 12:46 AM
Only in your deluded mind.

Nice retort, min, with no evidence provided to support yer pish. Well done.

ragnarok
16-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Only in your deluded mind.

Nice retort, min, with no evidence provided to support yer pish. Well done.[/quote]

I don't have to provide any evidence because I'm not the one making an assertion. What evidence do you have that McGinn is underperforming due to the fact that he is a Celtic fan/catholic etc?

If you can actually come up with something remotely resembling a cogent argument supported by actual facts I will put in the effort to gather evidence to refute your claim.

Eagerly awaiting your response.

xtrmntr75
16-02-2016, 09:14 AM
I'd say he's completely and utterly worn out. His last 2 close season breaks have been 3 weeks due to ridiculous International friendlies in June, then our early European games. This close season will be the same. I'd leave him out for a month minimum. He's jaded and lacking any spark.
Mind you Nandos every night probably doesn't help!

I'm inclined to agree with that. He'll bounce back. He is knackered. He had poor game but he wasn't alone. There are some games, Thistle at home,Hearts in the cup and now this game, where it just doesn't happen. Several players seem to have off days together. It's why we'll not be champions and cups are our best chance of silverware.

rico94
16-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Its nae sh@te. What did Niall do bar give the ball away, then hide when he realised it wasnt his game. Did he try, did he f@ck did he help his team mates, did he f@ck dd he get involved, did he f@ck.

At least Rooney was involved for a spell albeit it brief and Taylor even though made mistakes still tried to get involved. He possibly could have and should have had two pens. I said Church was pish already but did he hide? Jonny going off wouldnt have helped him or Rooney

Niall should have stepped up when Jonny went off and he did the exact opposite. How he got 90 is beyond me as he would have been aswell at home cyber chatting birds. He was f@cking terrible

The only thing worse was Collum

I cant understand this whole hiding/not trying myth that gets branded with McGinn, he isn't the type of player who closes people down but neither was Eoin Jess or Scott Booth. That doesn't mean they are/were not trying.

McGinn has been

67SUPERDON
16-02-2016, 11:36 AM
It truly is a fact that, if we can only have players that are inconsistent because they'd be somewye else if they were, we are goosed & never gonna win anything. I really don't care how good Niall can be, I'd rather have a less skillful player that showed the correct attitude consistently. Perhaps like some of the Hearts or ICT players that are still trying to win trophies for their clubs this season.

ragnarok
16-02-2016, 11:46 AM
It truly is a fact that, if we can only have players that are inconsistent because they'd be somewye else if they were, we are goosed & never gonna win anything. I really don't care how good Niall can be, I'd rather have a less skillful player that showed the correct attitude consistently. Perhaps like some of the Hearts or ICT players that are still trying to win trophies for their clubs this season.

Would those be the Hearts or ICT players who are 11 and 23 points behind us in the league respectively? :?

Dons_Syndrome
16-02-2016, 12:06 PM
The usual knee-jerk reactionists at it again. I've read some dreadful, small-minded, half-witted nonsense on this board over the years, but some of the idiotic pish from oleole and pacman is worthy of the kindergarden, if that. What a pair of absolute jessies.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 12:11 PM
The usual knee-jerk reactionists at it again. I've read some dreadful, small-minded, half-witted nonsense on this board over the years, but some of the idiotic pish from oleole and pacman is worthy of the kindergarden, if that. What a pair of absolute jessies.

You say its worthy of kindergarten then proceed to call uss XD

Brilliant. Just brilliant

I would go into the rest of your post but ill just leave it at that. XD

67SUPERDON
16-02-2016, 12:22 PM
With respect we are discussing the merits and usefulness of Niall McGinn. The mental strength aspect of this is surely worthy of debate. If we are happier to be second in the league (until next season) and oot the cups at first dibs, then fine. I wouldna wish to get too cocky about how far Hearts are behind us just yet though. This is not a codemnation of our team or player but surely a point for debate, which after all, is the main point of a forum. The debate here being are we content to have the luxury of a player such as Niall turning it on now and then or would we be better off with more consistent players with perhaps slightly less overall ability bu giving 100% more often.
Try reading my previous comments more closely. Nae suggesting that I'd rather be Hearts or ICT(bittie jealous o' their Scottish cup win mind). I support the Dons through thick and thin but my point is that if we want to win things, I believe we need something to change and i was reacting to the inference that

ragnarok
16-02-2016, 12:51 PM
The problem is that your argument is based on a hypothetical that makes a number of assumptions that are impossible to qualify. Name a player at Hearts or ICT who would have made a difference in the Cups this season if swapped for McGinn. Even if you can think of someone, would that player offer a better return over three seasons than McGinn? What about those numerous occasions where McGinn has produced something that no other player on the pitch could?

As frustrating as McGinn's absent performances have been, he's been a very good player for us. He scores goals, he creates goals and he has done so consistently for the Dons even when his general play has been a bit lacklustre.

Again, if there's a player put there who is a realistic target for us who can give us a better return then of course I'd be happy for us to ship off McGinn. I'm just not sure that such a player exists.

I'm as disappointed with the Cup defeats as everyone else but ultimately that comes down to two tough

rico94
16-02-2016, 01:01 PM

The 3 seasons prior to McGinn signing for us we scored 36 goals 09/10, 39 goals 10/11,36 goals 11/12.

The last 3 seasons since he signed we scored 41 goals ( he scored 20 of them) 12/13, 53 goals 13/14, 57 goals 14/15.

You are seriously saying you would rather have a Darren Mackie or Josh Magennis in the team who have the correct attitude but we would struggle to score as much goals, aye right XD

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 01:08 PM

The 3 seasons prior to McGinn signing for us we scored 36 goals 09/10, 39 goals 10/11,36 goals 11/12.

The last 3 seasons since he signed we scored 41 goals ( he scored 20 of them) 12/13, 53 goals 13/14, 57 goals 14/15.
[/quote]

^^^^^^
You canna put that down to just McGinn if thats what you are getting at. We are a better team with better players and a good manager now and we are improving season by season.

rico94
16-02-2016, 01:19 PM

[/quote]

^^^^^^
You canna put that down to just McGinn if thats what you are getting at. We are a better team with better players and a good manager now and we are improving season by season.

[/quote]

No its not all down

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 01:27 PM

[/quote]

^^^^^^
You canna put that down to just McGinn if thats what you are getting at. We are a better team with better players and a good manager now and we are improving season by s

Mason89
16-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Nialls one of those players who can be completely shyte but still capable of doing something. That always makes him useful because that's a rarity in this league.

Have to admit, I lost the plot with him after the ibrox semi. That performance was as bad as anything I've seen from an Aberdeen player.

Also a bit puzzled why he never gets pulled up for his Celtic antics either. He's much, much worse than Zander ever was.

afc_1983
16-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Embarrassing stuff on here again after last night's defeat. It was our first league defeat in 13 matches in case you missed that.

Still, some folk always need a scapegoat.

Easy to pick on a player whose game is about getting on the ball and creating and not getting flung into tackles. As some have already alluded to, maybe we'd be better off getting Derek Young back. He was gash, but hey he got wired in... :/

Not sure who folk think we can get that'll produce as many goals and assists as McGinn for the same outlay. Because it sure as heck isn't anyone at Hearts or Inverness.

McGinn is going to be ***** if we're to get back to winning form. Getting on his back isn't the brightest idea.

rico94
16-02-2016, 01:44 PM

[/quote]

^^^^^^
You canna put that down to just McGinn if thats what you are getting at. We are a better team with better players and a good

OleOle
16-02-2016, 01:46 PM

You say its worthy of kindergarten then proceed to call uss XD

Brilliant. Just brilliant

I would go into the rest of your post but ill just leave it at that. XD [/quote]

I was going to respond myself but you've done it for me, Pacman. I wonder if he will see the paradox in his post.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 01:46 PM
I am not scapegoating afc_1983 Ive been repeating myself for months including after games we have won

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 01:56 PM

[/quote]

^^^^^^
You canna put that down to just McGinn if thats what you are getting at. We are a b

67SUPERDON
16-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Firstly take a look at the title of the post that I was replying to. Secondly at no point do I say that we WOULD be better off without Niall, rather I make reasoned debate by playing "Devils advocate" that we MAY do better with a different type of player. Thirdly, I admit to veering off subject when responding to the suggestion that if a player was consistent then we wouldna have him, I find that defeatist.

I Certainly wasn't looking to single out Niall. I feel we have a number of players of a similar ilk. I support the Dons through thick & thin and retain the right to praise & criticise as I see fit as should everyone on the forum. Certainly neither wish or expect a'body to agree wi' me 'a the time as some appear to. Only looking for reasoned debate. I do admit to being a wee bit discontented with my team this season though. Fully understand and accept that many others are not so. Thats just fitba supporters for you. By the way I think that when on his game Niall McGinn is arguab

afc_1983
16-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Scapegoat or no scapegoat for last night's defeat, the criticism of McGinn is not rooted in facts.

It's a poorly arrived-at assessment based on the impression he gives when he plays, which is of being a bit timid. It is not based on his actual output, which for a player in his position is predominantly scoring and creating goals.

For a number of years now his stats have demonstrated his worth to the team. You can't expect him, though, to carry the team's creativity and output on his own, which at times he has been.

redscot
16-02-2016, 02:17 PM
He was phucking dog sh!t against septic at Parkhead.......

If you had a choice of one player to keep between McGinn or Hayes who would you keep.........?

Hayes for me all day long.

afc_1983
16-02-2016, 02:22 PM

If you had a choice of one player to keep between McGinn or Hayes who would you keep.........?

Strange and irrelevant question. I'd rather we kept both because we need two quality wide players to do well.

It would be interesting to compare McGinn to Hayes in terms of goals and assists. I suspect, even if you take McGinn's season at striker out of the equation, he'd compare favourably. But don't let facts get in the way of a solid moan.

He was p!sh last night, and he may well have been p!sh at Celtic. But there are many, many more games where he's been the main reason we've won.

This short-termist, reactionist, flakiness in our support portrays all the worst elements of today's needy society.

rico94
16-02-2016, 02:23 PM
That's the point pacman, you are saying McGinn hasn't played well for ages but he has still scored 9 goals and got the most assists for us this season. Where as a lot of people are saying Hayes has been our best player this season but he has only scored 5 goals and not got as many assists as McGinn.

The difference between McGinn and Hayes is if McGinn is playing shyte he still contributes to the team but if Hayes is playing shyte he contributes very little. This is the reason why McInnes keeps playing McGinn even though he has been playing poorly.

But hey you are entitled to your opinion so carry on :)

rico94
16-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Strange and irrelevant question. I'd rather we kept both because we need two quality wide players to do well.

It would be interesting to compare McGinn to Hayes in terms of goals and assists. I suspect, even if you take McGinn's season at striker out of the equation, he'd compare favourably. But don't let facts get in the way of a solid moan.

He was p!sh last night, and he may well have been p!sh at Celtic. But there are many, many more games where he's been the main reason we've won.

This short-termist, reactionist, flakiness in our support portrays all the worst elements of today's needy society.[/quote]

McGinn has 32 appearances 9 goals this season,162 appearances 51 goals in total.

Jonny

redscot
16-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Nothing to do with a moan or short-termism or whatever else, i just asked a simple question of who would you/anybody prefer to keep... McGinn or Hayes, if it came down to it?

67SUPERDON
16-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Back on track wi' the topic then. Opinion sought it wid be Jonny for me. Creativity & endeavour. Still not entirely consistent but just a wee bit more so.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 03:06 PM
That's the point pacman, you are saying McGinn hasn't played well for ages but he has still scored 9 goals and got the most assists for us this season. Where as a lot of people are saying Hayes has been our best player this season but he has only scored 5 goals and not got as many assists as McGinn.

Niall scored 5 of those 9 when the whole team was flying. Hearts (a), Ross County (h) Killie(a) Dundee (a) St J (a) He also scores v Rejika at home where we were pretty good, Motherwell (a) again a good team performance

5 of his 10 assists 2 v Hearts(a) 1v Killie(a) 2 v Ross County (h) were also in these flying games, 1 was also in the above Well game

Its quite coincidental that more half of his output has been when we have been flying or pretty good and in the same set of games

The points above show most of his output has came when the team plays well.

Like i was saying if the chips are down he dissapears and this goes tow

afc_1983
16-02-2016, 03:29 PM
I think all that you've established with that warped account of things is that it's more likely that a player's tangible output will be recorded when a team is winning than when losing. Forgive me but that's not exactly a groundbreaking revelation.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Ach i have my opinion. Others have similar and others have opposite.

He is nowhere near our best player. He is non existant when the chips are down and he only comes out his shell when the team are playing magic,(more than half his seasons out put in this case). He is the most frustrating c@nt i can remember as i know there is a good player in there somewhere. Hes just awol most of the time. I also dont think we need him to win games.And i dont think anyone would sign him on his stats this season.

One thing for sure he splits opinion. And opinions make places like this a hoot. This thread hasnt half taken off in the last 19-20 hours or so. We nred more debates

rico94
16-02-2016, 03:52 PM

Niall scored 5 of those 9 when the whole team was flying. Hearts (a), Ross County (h) Killie(a) Dundee (a) St J (a) He also scores v Rejika at home where we were pretty good, Motherwell (a) again a good team performance

5 of his 10 assists 2 v Hearts(a) 1v Killie(a) 2 v Ross County (h) were also in these flying games, 1 was also in the above Well game

Its quite coincidental that more half of his output has been when we have been flying or pretty good and in the same set of games

The points above show most of his output has came when the team plays well.

Like i was saying if the c

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Lets see how he does at Firhill on Friday. Hes actually extremely lucky Jonnys injured as he canna really be dropped for last nights abomination as Pawlett will be in for Jonny

We are a different team without Jonny. Lets see Niall step up to the plate

05car
16-02-2016, 04:05 PM

mcginn
numbers don't lie and perception isn't reality

redscot
16-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Numbers can/do lie....you only have to look at Clangers in that respect.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Numbers do lie

Darren Mackie played over 300 games. An outsider looking in might think he was some kind of loyal legend

OneBrianIrvine
16-02-2016, 04:42 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I've never 'taken' to McGinn, it's obvious he is the most talented player we've had in years but I hold no liking nor affection for him, I just don't.
Whether it's his body language, (I ken, I ken!), his sour pus, his disappearing or not even turning up in games, I'm not sure, but I'm just not a fan of the man. As a player I know he can be sublime but he frustrates me to no end.

BUT I do wonder if I do him a disservice. I've always appreciated a trier more than a flair player (and preferably the two together..), that's just me, but is his looking like he could do so much more because it seems effortless to him not the very nature of talent? Hmmm.

rico94
16-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Lets see how he does at Firhill on Friday. Hes actually extremely lucky Jonnys injured as he canna really be dropped for last nights abomination as Pawlett will be in for Jonny

Yeah you are right now that Hayes is out we will need a big performance from him on Friday.The same can be said for Pawlett too,it's about time he stepped up to the plate and showed the form he had 2 years ago.If Hayes is going to be out for a while then he is going to get plenty of game time to show it.

Pacman1903
16-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Yeah you are right now that Hayes is out we will need a big performance from him on Friday.The same can be said for Pawlett too,it's about time he stepped up to the plate and showed the form he had 2 years ago.If Hayes is going to be out for a while then he is going to get plenty of game time to show it.[/quote]

Bloody hell i agree with that whole statement

RED_JOHN
16-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Johnny Hayes gives more to the 90 minutes of a game than McGinn does....Hayes will battle away, he will try and excite fans. Don't get me wrong McGinn can be a great player when he gives a sh!t....which is very very frustrating. The argument about who is better etc is irrelevant... Both players should be busting a gut for the Dons....McGinn is certainly guilty of not trying to get stuck in and scrap for the ball when things get tough. I would have subbed him early into the 2nd half last night as he gave the look of a pathetic individual and was playing worse!
GET THE FINGER OUT MCGINN...you have the talent...equal it with desire and then you will be a class act for Aberdeen F.C....Celtic didn't think you were good enough and still don't...prove them wrong and prove many many doubters wrong!

rico94
16-02-2016, 06:57 PM
I think I'm right in saying I have been slated on here for having a go at Ryan Jack for not getting stuck in and scrap for the ball when the going gets tough and was told that it's not Jacks role in the team,but if a winger is expected to get stuck in then I would have thought it was imperative that a central midfielder gets stuck in too?

Anyway I will keep an eye on that when Jack returns,and will come on here to piss and moan if he doesn't.

Gallus79
21-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Bump

Pacman1903
21-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Wonder if he had any sucess this weekend with his cyber lothario actions

swaddon
28-05-2016, 06:51 PM
He's had some success with his football actions, as he's beend in the final squad for Northern Ireland in Euro 2016.

Hopefully they exit at the group stage so he comes back ready for another European adventure.

Barnared
28-05-2016, 06:58 PM
I hope they get beaten heavily in all group games and he scores their only goal.

DodHagi
28-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Aside from the revolting sectarian garbage and the huns supporting them which goes with Norn Irn, i hope Josher gets a chance, plays out his skin and gets the Golden Boot ala Toto Scillaci 1990. Be interesting to see if a proper diddy team can do anything at all, even score a couple. Good luck to Niall too, he normally shows up well for his country. Not arsed, as long as he's fit for us.

And as much as i hate the taffs for the gubbings theyve dished out to us in recent times, i'll be hoping the same for them.

France to win it.

A.B.E

scapegoat
28-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I hope that England, Wales, and both the Irelands get knocked out without getting a corner, never mind scoring a goal.
In a lot of ways I'm a very petty man.

Barnared
02-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Been reported that AFC will collect £100k from Uefa in a solidarity payment for Mcginn being released to play in the Euros.

Decent wee lift, pays a squad players wage for a year.

brochred
02-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Should have kept Josh!!

MeadowbankRed
02-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Pity Hayes never made the Ireland squad.

afc1903mad
08-06-2016, 08:44 AM
First time trying the multi-quote thing

Should have kept Josh!!

He had a lot of the attributes, but really failed to show them at Aberdeen when he got his chances.
Really has flourished with lower expectations and regular gametime at Kilmarnock

Pity Hayes never made the Ireland squad.

Part of me is glad, he'll be available for the first round of Qualifiers, whilst Niall may not.
Imagine going into Q1 without McGinn or Hayes

AberdeenArnold
16-06-2016, 07:07 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/214wac3.jpg

Pacman1903
16-06-2016, 07:09 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/214wac3.jpg

Nah Ronaldo made himself look sh@te v Iceland

macattack
16-06-2016, 07:19 PM
First time trying the multi-quote thing

He had a lot of the attributes, but really failed to show them at Aberdeen when he got his chances.
Really has flourished with lower expectations and regular gametime at Kilmarnock

Part of me is glad, he'll be available for the first round of Qualifiers, whilst Niall may not.
Imagine going into Q1 without McGinn or Hayes
Huh? > McGinn wont be making Q1 for us now :? he needs a holiday

Aldo1983
16-06-2016, 08:32 PM
If we can't get beyond Q1 without McGinn then something is seriously wrong.

Gallus79
16-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Made up for Niall tonight, superb that Josher was in involved too-!

Great to have McGinn with us at the peak of his career, a lucky player.

Donrino
16-06-2016, 08:39 PM
If we can't get beyond Q1 without McGinn then something is seriously wrong.

Exactly!

AberdeenArnold
16-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Made up for Niall tonight, superb that Josher was in involved too-!

Great to have McGinn with us at the peak of his career, a lucky player.

Rare to see positivity on a Mcginn thread.

Hitting the like button,

Aldo1983
16-06-2016, 08:44 PM
We were twenty odd goals better off last season because of him yet he still gets grief. Mental.

xtrmntr75
16-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Och he has contributed a helluva lot to our cause in the last few years. Don't think any of the criticism is personal. He's like the bairn you love to bits but now and again he frustrates the fu(k out of you. Well that's how I feel

Mason89
16-06-2016, 09:05 PM
He's got some fairly obvious flaws but I think we're lucky to have him.

Pacman1903
16-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Och he has contributed a helluva lot to our cause in the last few years. Don't think any of the criticism is personal. He's like the bairn you love to bits but now and again he frustrates the fu(k out of you. Well that's how I feel

This

But im nae getting into it pre season. Ill save it for a couple of month

Probably lose him now hes an international superhero

AberdeenArnold
16-06-2016, 09:16 PM
He's got some fairly obvious flaws but I think we're lucky to have him.

High praise indeed :?

Mcginn is a superb player, inconsistent but "on his day" superb.

We are very lucky to have him.

Mason89
16-06-2016, 09:21 PM
I find it very hard to take to him, despite his talent. His contribution to AFC over the years has been first class

Redtothebone
16-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Get in Mcginn you useless **** hope never play for us again

Donrino
16-06-2016, 09:34 PM

:O:?

AberdeenArnold
16-06-2016, 09:38 PM

XD

Good night min.

Stephen Hughes used to play in his position.

Redtothebone
16-06-2016, 09:40 PM
:O:?

Aye ok

Redtothebone
16-06-2016, 09:40 PM
sakes fokes

Redtothebone
16-06-2016, 09:42 PM
****ink love the man

theram1975
16-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Delighted to see him score today.

Actually delighted for McGovern and especially Josh as well. 3 players plying their trade in Scotland outwith the Glasgow clubs and all playing a big role on a huge stage in front of millions worldwide.

Mason89
16-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Delighted to see him score today.

Actually delighted for McGovern and especially Josh as well. 3 players plying their trade in Scotland outwith the Glasgow clubs and all playing a big role on a huge stage in front of millions worldwide.

Yep, fair play to all of them. Wonder if that will sink in with the two fuds running Scotland

Donrino
16-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Yep, fair play to all of them. Wonder if that will sink in with the two fuds running Scotland

Unfortunately I doubt it ever will.

Redtothebone
16-06-2016, 09:57 PM
You get my jist ,ye bunch of ****s

Gallus79
16-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Hahaha

Aldo1983
16-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Matt Rirchie is worth £20m so that's what good news for Scottish football.

theram1975
16-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Matt Rirchie is worth £20m so that's what good news for Scottish football.

Apparently if we had qualified our squad would have been the 12th most expensive in the tournament.

Redtothebone
16-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Aberdeen player scores on big stage ..oh yeah what's not to like COYR

fatshaft
18-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Yep, fair play to all of them. Wonder if that will sink in with the two fuds running ScotlandNot a ****ing chance. As Strachan has already said, his mistake, just the one presumably, was going to play a friendly with the frogs, not picking Hutton, or ****taker, or Lee Wallace, or defensive tactics in Georgia, or picking lower guffy league dross over high quality SPL players like Shinnie or Patterson, nope, it was playing the wrong friendly.

So there ye go. Ginger ****. What's wrong with these ****s, ruining top gear and the Scottish national team. Ginger *******s

fittiered
18-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Not a ****ing chance. As Strachan has already said, his mistake, just the one presumably, was going to play a friendly with the frogs, not picking Hutton, or ****taker, or Lee Wallace, or defensive tactics in Georgia, or picking lower guffy league dross over high quality SPL players like Shinnie or Patterson, nope, it was playing the wrong friendly.

So there ye go. Ginger ****. What's wrong with these ****s, ruining top gear and the Scottish national team. Ginger *******s

Is there no a like button on this website??

Brian Grantland
18-06-2016, 10:54 PM
There's a Tosh Mckinlay interview in today's Scotsman
Actual Quote

“I’d more or less given up on ever playing for my country,” he says. “When I went to Hearts I wondered if I might get noticed but it never 
happened. Scotland had some good left-backs at that time, guys like Maurice Malpas and Davie Robertson. Then I moved to Celtic and even though folk always say you go straight into the Scotland side when you join the Old Firm I thought that was an urban myth.

“Anyway, I’d just come off a building site when the call came. I was building my house in Uddingston, changing straight into my overalls after training, and was going to let the phone ring because it was late and I was knackered. I’m glad I didn’t. It was my manager Tommy Burns telling me that Craig was short of players.

“Tommy said I should report to Troon after lunch the next day. I assumed I was needed to make up the numbers, nothing more. I stepped out of my motor at the hotel and Craig rushed up: ‘Here’s six tickets – you’re playing tonight.’

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/interview-tosh-mckinlay-on-scotland-s-great-swiss-miss-1-4157863#ixzz4ByT1zgZV

Redtothebone
18-06-2016, 11:16 PM
We can only hope the future of Scottish football anit hands of dicks like him ?

theram1975
18-06-2016, 11:34 PM
We can only hope the future of Scottish football anit hands of dicks like him ?

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dross like Forrest and Mulgrew etc will always be selected while they remain Celtic players.

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 12:12 PM
That Tosh sh@t is nothing we dinna ken, take James Forrest for example. Take Mulgrew as another, injured for almost a year, played 45 mins in a year, picked. Its wrong

redscot
19-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Not a ****ing chance. As Strachan has already said, his mistake, just the one presumably, was going to play a friendly with the frogs, not picking Hutton, or ****taker, or Lee Wallace, or defensive tactics in Georgia, or picking lower guffy league dross over high quality SPL players like Shinnie or Patterson, nope, it was playing the wrong friendly.

Since there is no like option now.... i will just quote this as it is spot on.

Brilliant stuff.

scobiemacd
19-06-2016, 01:23 PM
I always thought McKinlay was excellent for Scotland.

Aldo1983
19-06-2016, 03:23 PM

So did I. Brilliant crosser of the ball.

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 07:35 PM
I alway remember him as being a reliable full back at international and club. Ugly c@nt though

Brian Grantland
19-06-2016, 07:37 PM
The point was he admitted thinking it had passed him by.

That there is/was a belief that signing for the OF (as was) gets you in the national side.

Then lo and behold...

Winston78Snelders
19-06-2016, 07:50 PM

Tosh McKinlay flashback - Brazil Vs Scotland France 98.

Brazil bring on superstars Leonardo & Denilson and we bring on Tosh & Billy f@ckin McKinlay >:(

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Tosh McKinlay flashback - Brazil Vs Scotland France 98.

Brazil bring on superstars Leonardo & Denilson and we bring on Tosh & Billy f@ckin McKinlay >:(

Denilson was away to become the worlds most expensive player that summer too

Brian Grantland
19-06-2016, 07:59 PM

le tournoi when he did about 800 stepovers a game sealed him that move

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Nah that was in 1997. He signed for Betis in 1998. Definatley min

Winston78Snelders
19-06-2016, 08:08 PM

£20 Million now gets you Matt Ritchie or 2 thirds of andy carroll. I think at the time Tosh McKinlay would have been worth around £300,000. Some gulf in class.

If you compare the 2 teams you think how on earth did we qualify and play the likes of Brazil?
To me they all stand out as grafters very physical & I'm sure if Brown told them to run through a brick wall they all would. They could beat the Scotland of today easily and I would even back Juke box to get a couple.

Brian Grantland
19-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Nah that was in 1997. He signed for Betis in 1998. Definatley min

it was le tournoi in 97 that pit him on the map, I think the deal was done prior to the wc

could be wrong but I know he moved in 98 as u say - what a waste of money

Winston78Snelders
19-06-2016, 08:16 PM
it was le tournoi in 97 that pit him on the map, I think the deal was done prior to the wc

could be wrong but I know he moved in 98 as u say - what a waste of money

I was convinced it was a done deal before the tournament as at the time i was thinking, most expensive player coming on and we have Tosh. If it wasn't it was no secret about him going to Real Betis.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/10368/where-are-they-now-denilson/

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 08:17 PM
I just looked it up. He signed just before the world cup. So wee tosh was coming on and so was the dearest player in the world

La Tournoi also put Roberto Carlos' free kicks on the map, even thought he missed a hell of alot more than he scored

Winston78Snelders
19-06-2016, 08:25 PM
I just looked it up. He signed just before the world cup. So wee tosh was coming on and so was the dearest player in the world

La Tournoi also put Roberto Carlos' free kicks on the map, even thought he missed a hell of alot more than he scored

Best run up to a free kick ever. Not as prolific as Koemen/Pearce Free Kicks, boom!

Also put French Cuisine on the map for all the wrong reasons, wonder if it was a nut allergy that had Ronaldo starting/not starting/ill/christ knows in the final. Didnt he have a nut allergy later in his career with 3 Trannies? :O

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Best run up to a free kick ever. Not as prolific as Koemen/Pearce Free Kicks, boom!

Also put French Cuisine on the map for all the wrong reasons, wonder if it was a nut allergy that had Ronaldo starting/not starting/ill/christ knows in the final. Didnt he have a nut allergy later in his career with 3 Trannies? :O

I read an article a couple of years ago which took the so called greatest free kick takers ever.

Who had the highest accuracy rate.(nae most goals)

Sinisa Mihajlovic

Brian Grantland
19-06-2016, 08:46 PM
I read an article a couple of years ago which took the so called greatest free kick takers ever.

Who had the highest accuracy rate.(nae most goals)

Sinisa Mihajlovic

beckham had a really high success rate over a 5 year period or so

way better than roberto carlos'

wonder what payet's is like

Pacman1903
19-06-2016, 08:48 PM
beckham had a really high success rate over a 5 year period or so

way better than roberto carlos'

wonder what payet's is like

Beckham was second behind the spitting serb

Winston78Snelders
19-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Interesting read Sinisa Mihajlovic wiki

Management didn't work out too well for him (like Pearce), sounds like he was a good coach though.

ragnarok
20-06-2016, 02:39 AM
If you compare the 2 teams you think how on earth did we qualify and play the likes of Brazil?
To me they all stand out as grafters very physical & I'm sure if Brown told them to run through a brick wall they all would. They could beat the Scotland of today easily and I would even back Juke box to get a couple.

We were given a relatively kind draw in qualifying (Austria and a declining Sweden were our main group rivals). The 1998 team was noticeably weaker than the one we took to Euro 96. We performed admirably against Brazil, should have beaten Norway and were woeful against Morocco. The limitations of the team were apparent though. Brown's teams tended to be solid but a bit toothless going forward. I still have great (and painful) memories of Euro 96. We performed well in all three games. F**kin' Uri Geller. :blue:

Sheep On Fire
26-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Sky reporting that DM has confirmed Niall will be available for Thursday, surely not he must need a break. Surely we can get past this round without him

Feck_the_Huns
26-06-2016, 04:13 PM
I'd take zero chances, and i looks like Hayes will be out.

Looking at it optimistically, if we can build up a good lead over the home leg then I'd be happy enough for him to get 10 days off thereafter but defo need him for the home leg.

Aldo1983
26-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Folk have a go at McGinn not trying, etc but he's run into the ground by DM. He needs a break.

Mr_Grieves
26-06-2016, 06:15 PM
It was great to see an AFC player make an impact at the Euros - well done Niall.

I'd definitely give him a much needed rest.

AberdeenArnold
26-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Fola Esch are no mugs, you rarely get easy games in Europe nowadays but Niall needs a rest eventually.

Should we rest him for our 1st European game of the season, definitely not in my opinion. We could give him a 2 week holiday when fixtures allow against Scottish teams.

Europe is far too important, I suspect he will want to play anyway.

xtrmntr75
26-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Looking at it optimistically, if we can build up a good lead over the home leg then I'd be happy enough for him to get 10 days off thereafter but defo need him for the home leg.

Ach I dunno. We should have enough about us to be able to Niall a break.

Sheep On Fire
26-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Come February most on here will be slaughtering him for not trying, he needs a break like everyone else. If we can't beat a team that has never won a European game without him then we should give up now. Give him his couple of weeks off and keep him fresh for hopefully the next couple of rounds

Pacman1903
26-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Surely we dinna need him on Thursdqy

Brian Grantland
26-06-2016, 06:59 PM
'mon the mighty magyars

????

wrong thread min

khawaga
26-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Looking at it optimistically, if we can build up a good lead over the home leg then I'd be happy emnough for him to get 10 days off thereafter but defo need him for the home leg.

is there something up with Hayes? I've nae seen anything.

Pacman1903
26-06-2016, 07:04 PM
????

wrong thread min

Aye. Its been a long arduous day min

AberdeenArnold
26-06-2016, 07:08 PM
is there something up with Hayes? I've nae seen anything.

Hayes didn't play today and was withdrawn from the Hearts warm up game.

If Hayes is out, then resting Niall against an unknown team is madness. Rest him later against known teams.

Getting to the group stages would be monumentally massive for Aberdeen, we need our best players to achieve this.

Sheep On Fire
26-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Hayes, Taylor and McLean all left out Today with minor injuries but all expected to play on Thursday according to Sky

soutermon
10-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Stumbled upon Panini Cheapskates today. They are drawing every picture from the Euro 2016 Panini sticker album. Here's our very own Niall :D

https://paninicheapskates.wordpress.com/

Pacman1903
10-07-2016, 05:09 AM
They have the droopy sulky face nailed

Stoney_Scarfer
22-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Seen this today on Pus Journal and noticed nobody had put it up here.

I'm pretty happy about this to be honest.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/702490/Aberdeen-Niall-McGinn-Adam-Rooney-Northern-Irish-winger-Euro-2016

Pacman1903
22-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Good to hear he seems settled and enjoying his time.

Rooney and him signing might persuade a few others

irnbru1903
22-08-2016, 03:19 PM
I hope this is true and as said above hopefully a few others will follow. Well namely Hayes, Shinnie and Logan. To be honest that is all really at the moment as others have either something to prove or could be replaced without too much hassle.

Pacman1903
22-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Speaking of contracts what length did Lewis sign. It passed me by completely

RedStarTorphins
22-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Speaking of contracts what length did Lewis sign. It passed me by completely

2 years

afc1903mad
22-08-2016, 03:31 PM
2 years

open talks now for an extension I'd say.
A very competent keeper IMO

irnbru1903
22-08-2016, 03:36 PM
open talks now for an extension I'd say.
A very competent keeper IMO

Too soon to make a well informed call on Lewis yet I would say. Looks promising but will he still be six months down the line?

Pacman1903
22-08-2016, 03:50 PM
2 years

Cheers. Don't know why I missed that. Bit early to be needing that extended though

Brian Grantland
22-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Cheers. Don't know why I missed that. Bit early to be needing that extended though

100% too early I'd like at least a season of solid performance before we even think about it

Aldo1983
24-12-2016, 09:07 AM
62nd Don's goal last night.

Pacman1903
24-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Well done min. I fully expect you to break the 100 mark come May ;D

RED_JOHN
24-12-2016, 09:56 AM

A good player who can score goals and create chances. Why he has been benched recently must be down to an error by the manager. I am not a fan of this 4-2-3-1 formation we play as it is negative, but will add that while playing this Niall McGinn must play on the right hand side of the 3.....no one else in our squad is near as good as him for that role.

InversneckieDob
24-12-2016, 11:52 AM
A good player who can score goals and create chances. Why he has been benched recently must be down to an error by the manager. I am not a fan of this 4-2-3-1 formation we play as it is negative, but will add that while playing this Niall McGinn must play on the right hand side of the 3.....no one else in our squad is near as good as him for that role.

Why he's on the bench recently is down to that fact that he's been playing fitba constant for the thick end o' two years and never did a proper pre-season.

McGinn and Hayes are our two most dangerous players, the last couple of seasons the @rse has fallen out of us fae, what, February/March onwards?

McInnes has tried to make sure this doesnae happen this season.....by signing depth and "managing" McGinn.

Nae idea whether or not it'll work, but you canna blame him for trying.

awafaehame
24-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Why he's on the bench recently is down to that fact that he's been playing fitba constant for the thick end o' two years and never did a proper pre-season.

McGinn and Hayes are our two most dangerous players, the last couple of seasons the @rse has fallen out of us fae, what, February/March onwards?

McInnes has tried to make sure this doesnae happen this season.....by signing depth and "managing" McGinn.

Nae idea whether or not it'll work, but you canna blame him for trying.

You are right, Inversneckie, but what I personally would have preferred, is that we played our strongest teams and formations against Septic in the final and against the new huns the week after, rather than against teams we should beat with half our players missing....

GlezgaRed
24-12-2016, 04:21 PM
You are right, Inversneckie, but what I personally would have preferred, is that we played our strongest teams and formations against Septic in the final and against the new huns the week after, rather than against teams we should beat with half our players missing....

Since the final we've only started two games with Rooney/McGinn/Hayes up front and low and behold they were last night and the 5-1 demolition of Kilmarnock.

awafaehame
24-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Since the final we've only started two games with Rooney/McGinn/Hayes up front and low and behold they were last night and the 5-1 demolition of Kilmarnock.

That is one of the most damning stats that will ever be typed on here.
It is also one of the main reasons we are so far behind a 4 year old newly promoted team......

InversneckieDob
24-12-2016, 04:47 PM

Aye, canna argue wi that

Kingdomred
24-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Aye and its not long since all the "experts" on here were shouting for McInness to rest McGinn. I think just the fact he takes the pressure off Hayes, and gives defences something extra to worry about, means he should be starting every week. I thought the wee petulant kick out after he scored against County said a lot. Not sure many people noticed it, but to me it looked like he wasnt overly enamoured about being on the bench.

rico94
24-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Aye and its not long since all the "experts" on here were shouting for McInness to rest McGinn. I think just the fact he takes the pressure off Hayes, and gives defences something extra to worry about, means he should be starting every week. I thought the wee petulant kick out after he scored against County said a lot. Not sure many people noticed it, but to me it looked like he wasnt overly enamoured about being on the bench.

For the past couple of seasons I've been reading on here that "McGinn needs drapped"

Personally I wouldn't drop him but maybe McInnes just decided to take the advice from folk on here for the last 2 years XD

Pacman1903
28-03-2017, 03:20 PM
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/dons-striker-mcginn-linked-move-oxford-united/

Linked with Oxford. Now that would be a kick in the s****s if he went there.

irnbru1903
28-03-2017, 04:18 PM
McGinn is a better player than league 1 so that as you say would be a right kick in the shooglies. Surely a full NI international can command a more lucrative move than that. Still galling that a third tier EFL club can offer a wage completely outwith any fairplay rules.

rico94
28-03-2017, 04:20 PM
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/dons-striker-mcginn-linked-move-oxford-united/

Linked with Oxford. Now that would be a kick in the s****s if he went there.

It would be but I would rather he went there than Fearts if he does leave.

Jupiter
28-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Surely he can do better than Oxford, he really is scraping the barrel if he goes there.

therealsouthstander
28-03-2017, 05:19 PM
If one of the best players in our league over the last few years ends up at Oxford we'd be as well chucking it.

Apparently 'Bebo' Mcgguire is there top scorer this season

Mason89
28-03-2017, 05:32 PM
He's not choosing Oxford over Aberdeen. He's choosing a larger wad of cash over a smaller one. Nobody actually want to go to
Oxford (bed wetting tories aside)

theram1975
28-03-2017, 05:39 PM
If one of the best players in our league over the last few years ends up at Oxford we'd be as well chucking it.

Apparently 'Bebo' Mcgguire is there top scorer this season

He's their captain and hailed as some sort of legend down there I believe.

I watched them play Bolton last week and it was terrible stuff.

Winston78Snelders
28-03-2017, 06:56 PM
He's their captain and hailed as some sort of legend down there I believe.

I watched them play Bolton last week and it was terrible stuff.

He seems to be a regular in goals of the week on socceram as he has scored some very good free-kicks.

Good for him, didn't think he did enough for us (over hyped) sadly

macattack
29-03-2017, 11:19 AM
He's not choosing Oxford over Aberdeen. He's choosing a larger wad of cash over a smaller one. Nobody actually want to go to
Oxford (bed wetting tories aside)

Aye Oxford I certainly hope not maybe a Swap for our Old Boy :p

kigoretrout
29-03-2017, 02:53 PM
I just think his mind has been made up for a while. Hopefully if no-one decent comes in for him, He might have a rethink.

Getintaethem
29-03-2017, 06:56 PM
I just think his mind has been made up for a while. Hopefully if no-one decent comes in for him, He might have a rethink.

seem to remember he was like this last time around... his agent was at a Kilmarnock away game and he was driving a porsche and I thought he was definitely away. not sure why I associated his agent driving a porsche meant that McGinn was leaving us. Anyway, his agent was in the stand with the fans.

awafaehame
30-03-2017, 02:26 AM
Can't see it official anywhere, but apparently he is leaving at the end of the season according to Jim Spence's twitter.

Disappointing as he has been a great player for us.

What about Greg Stewart (Ex Dundee and now warming the bench at Birmingham) or Andrew Shinnie who the HIV's have on loan from Birmingham.
Maybe Graeme could do a job selling the club to him......

I am sure there are more options out there, but those two spring to mind....

Pacman1903
30-03-2017, 05:31 AM
Can't see it official anywhere, but apparently he is leaving at the end of the season according to Jim Spence's twitter.

Someone says on it hes signed for Bolton. That's as ambitious as Oxford,maybe a wee bawhair more ambitious

Believe it when I see it. If he is going id bench him.