PDA

View Full Version : Here we go looby loo or is that loopy loo

Freddie Creweger
05-06-2015, 10:05 AM
does anybody else sense deja vu, groundhog day, or do we have to wait for the management to post the forever messages,'' we will go with what we have, the squad is better this year than last, there are no better players out there ''.

Is it my imagination, or have other teams been fast accruing new playing staff whilst we pontificate over signing the same squad who scraped home last year. I mean not only Coco & Toots, but Ness, Leigh, Tate.

Meanwhile, we will release the one player (Grant) who despite the negative comments from the management was always on the team sheet.
How many new players!! were we told the Alex were going to bring in to improve the squad?? or does new constitute the above plus the youth team.

I won't hold my breath for all to be revealed.

number1stuartevans
05-06-2015, 12:49 PM
"We haven’t had any dialogue with his agent, who has gone quiet." Here's a radical idea sd why don't you pick up the phone and ring the bloke?

itwasin
05-06-2015, 02:44 PM
You should know by now Freddy Crewe dont sign Players until the very last moment or when the season has started,they dont want to pay out wages,they have enough to pay for all the Backroom Staff and 2 Managers. C A are always last out of the traps and end up with the scraps left.
I see Port Vale have given there Manager 1.7 million for players.

somersetcrewe
05-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Here's a radical idea sd why don't you pick up the phone and ring the bloke?

With respect, why should he?
Grant is our player – until his contract expires – so the onus is not on SD to get the deal sorted but the agent! If the agent is quite happy to let the contract run down, what does that tell you about him and his client?

Grant knows how Crewe operate, he knows (roughly) how much he’s likely to earn in a new deal, there can be no surprises there. If he thinks he can do better elsewhere, then that is his prerogative. Good luck to the lad.

Let us not forget he is a southerner so it would be no surprise if he harbours ambitions to return “home” – and I wouldn’t blame him for that.

On the one side, he will be missed – he was our Mr.Competitive.
On the other, and using the analogy above, he too was part of the team “who scraped home last year”, as indeed he was the year before, so why should SD go chasing if he wants

objective
05-06-2015, 03:41 PM
I think you are very naive about our current recruitment hiatus. All of the players whom we would like to contract ( including our own ) have time on their side whilst they review their options. I don't think many league 1 clubs are signing lots of players as you suggest. Those that are have released substantial numbers and unlike us have run down their squad size. Steve Davis and our board will do their best for the club as realistic opportunities emerge. Suggest you have some patience and reel back the unhelpful criticism.

Timmy58
05-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I don't think we are very quick at sorting our squad out for the new season, but I think most clubs are playing the long game. Our issues are around the money we can offer and that, at the end of the day, is what will dictate the quality of our team as it has pretty much for the past 30 odd years.

VindePays2009
05-06-2015, 04:28 PM
You're right, Timmy, but the sorcerer's apprentice (NB) is back in his box, his boss is back handling the press, and what have we got?

The usual wistful screeds about, this time round, how great it would be to sign Leigh. Others will offer more, but the lad should understand that he would be in the 'ideal learning environment'. What if he's not too bothered about that, but just anxious to earn more cash? There is similar on how great it would be to have Ness back, though recognising that this is a fainter possibility.

It all smacks, as usual, of holding out the begging bowl. Meanwhile, the Burys of this Division help themselves. Proper sponsors, proper funding,no doubt.

Maybe there was little to be said in Gudjon's defence, but I can't see him
having semi-grovelled to agents in this way.

C' mon, Alex, man up and slap some decent offers on the negotiating table.

Timmy58
05-06-2015, 05:33 PM
We, quite rightly in my opinion, have a strict wage structure. I believe this is the reason we have a healthy club with a team in League 1 and without it I suspect we would be in dire straits if indeed we were still in existence. To break that and "slap some decent offers on the table" would herald the beginning of a downward spiral. Yes, there are frustrations when you see the Burys of this world snapping up "decent players" on good wages but frankly I wouldn't swop. The club is well managed throughout and although I am not a fan of David Cameron, the mantra about living within our means holds true for Crewe Alexandra.

AlexLeicester
05-06-2015, 05:58 PM
If there is a mantra at the Alex it is that, as we have an Academy, we are honour-bound to see what that produces. Every lad that signs as a professional gets a wage - small, but it is money that doesn't go elsewhere.
I like that: it means that we are not in hock to a sugar daddy, and we have proved that we can produce real talent.
Of course we'd like the midfield sorted (and, I'm afraid, I don't believe Grant is the ultimate solution - as he has proved over two seasons); of course mistakes have been made (Baker and Davis are human, not robots); and of course we want a solid, not colander-like defence, but with our wage structure we are not going to be competing for the next Messi.

At the moment there are more players than places for them to go. It'd be good to have an early signing or two, but at this stage it's the players and their agents who are making the decisions. Give it a few weeks. Have a little positive faith ... or go on holiday and forget the Alex for a week or two. :D

NewtoCrewe
05-06-2015, 06:30 PM

Grant is our player – until his contract expires – so the onus is not on SD to get the deal sorted but the agent! If the agent is quite happy to let the contract run down, what does that tell you about him and his client?
Could have at least showed some appreciation of what Granty did during his time with us, not just dismiss him as not good enough after he'd signed him and played him ever time he was available. Good way to entice a player to stay.. So yes it is in SDs court.
Grant knows how Crewe operate, he knows (roughly) how much he’s likely to earn in a new deal, there can be no surprises there. If he thinks he can do better elsewhere, then that is his prerogative. Good luck to the lad.

Let us not forget he is a southerner so it would be no surprise if he harb

NewtoCrewe
05-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Could have at least showed some appreciation of what Granty did during his time with us, not just dismiss him as not good enough after he'd signed him and played him ever time he was available. Good way to entice a player to stay.. So yes it is in SDs court.

Let us not forget he is a

jamesdad
05-06-2015, 08:57 PM
The Academy is well known throughout football and the quality of players it produces. The problem is we used to sell players to the Championship or Premiership on a regular basis. This has all changed for various reasons beyond our control. I feel we need to bring in some quality players to fill 3 key positions that we are all aware of. It is good to want to promote our own academy players but as last couple of seasons showed they do not have the quality to sustain a regular place in the team . This may alter in the near future but until then harsh decisions have to be made . The club need to remember that the supporters need to see a change in policy or we could lose fans. After two poor seasons we cannot afford to continue in the same way. The Dario way had a time and place but football has moved on and our club needs to do the same ,we cannot live on the past success .

Freddie Creweger
06-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Alot of the reply's to my post are interesting, I do hope the management will keep Coco, Toots Ness and Leigh BUT what prospects does that leave us for the coming season, without some new blood/ spirit, even 1 or 2 decent tried players. Forget the old tune about living within our means, that's what management is all about, sometimes you have to invest a little for the future of the club. If we had been relegated last year then do your maths and the couple of hundred grand we would have lost in gate receipts (Wigan/Blackpool for Torquay/ Hartlepool etc). Unfortunately I have lost all my optimism with this management and only foresee more struggles and s--t served up as football this year.

Freddie Creweger
06-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Just read this weeks Guardian DAVIS SAYS '' I THINK THIS GROUP IS BETTER THAN THE ONE THAT STARTED LAST SEASON especially if Ryan and Matt sign and stay fit'' (A big IF and where have I heard this tome before)

I rest my case your honor, the man is just as deluded and unhinged as last year.

supercrewe
06-06-2015, 10:09 AM
[quote="Timmy58" on good wages but frankly I wouldn't swop. The club is well managed throughout and although I am not a fan of David Cameron, the mantra about living within our means holds true for Crewe Alexandra.[/quote]

I was about to press the like button Tim, until you gave a semblance of credence to David Cameron !

It is correct that we keep a tight wage structure, what isn't correct is that it doesn't appear that people who haven't been brought through from the academy aren't treated the same.

Much criticism and analysis has b

Timmy58
06-06-2015, 12:15 PM
My thoughts on David Cameron are not printable!! However, it is right that we must not live beyond our means and breaking our wage structure for any individual is the slippery slope to disaster. And it also breeds disharmony in the dressing room. Grant was no more the single cause of our defensive woes than the defence itself. It is a collective issue and I suspect that if the stats were checked the second half of the season would prove that defensively we were much improved. That doesn't mean it is good enough. However, with the financial resources at our disposal we have to get the best we possibly can. Grant had a decent season without being outstanding. We will miss him, but we will get over it just as we got over the loss of Westy and Murphy.

CrewieFlyboy
06-06-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm all for cutting the cloth accordingly at The Alex, but if the excercise of doing so is to be done correctly, then surely every wage earner of Crewe Alexandra needs looking at not just the players? Lets hear from Mr Bowler if he feels that Crewe Alexandra are getting value for money from certain members of the backroom staff at The Alex. I would like to know if such people as Dario and Neil Baker can still be thought of as being worth their incomes as well as other members of the bootroom and such like. Just a thought, nobody becomes successful by standing still in any business may be it's time to move along

bonehead
07-06-2015, 09:34 AM
looks like we will wait till last minute again - trot out the old excuses about agents wanting too much - will end up with bottom of Davis "Try to sign cheap list"and a couple of loans that will take 3 months to click as they havnt had a pre season

why is our wages so low

well how about 2 managers - untold staff at the heath who arnt even up to it as Davis even agrees re fitness = a chug along comercial dept - and small shareholders on the board - also there seems to be an assistant for most jobs in the offices too

anyone heard from the board ---- no
not even well done Davis (Or rather Gillingham)

lets pay a firm on results - no win no fee type to get us more advertising revenue

itwasin
07-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Then everyone wonders why CA start of the Season EVERY YEAR so badly,as the Team is never ready,due to poor pre season organization.The world is living in the Digital era but CA are still in the Anolgue times.
Time will be up for some if they dont change quick.

number1stuartevans
07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
the quote was about colclough not grant