PDA

View Full Version : FAO Newcy

wolves71
28-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Team GB was the team that the Canadian ladies defeated at the quarter-final stage of the London 2012 Olympics.

European championship and as with the world cup, England go it alone, and rightly so.

...which makes me wonder whether the professional men's game would have ever profited if we had ever decided to go down the GB route?

Ryan Giggs perhaps, Gareth Bale at present. Kenny Dalglish would have made us a better team in the international wilderness of the '70's, so would Dave Mackay.
Not a lot more really off the top of my head.
John Charles in the 50's perhaps?
I suppose a half decent player by the of George Best may have helped us win a Euro as well as a World Cup, who knows.

Apologies for starting to deviate off topic.
Hands are stretched out and ready to be slapped ;D

I thought i'd start this new thread just to reply from what was posted in the women's world cup thread.

With the pl

Newcy Wolf
28-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Nice one.

Saying that, with our track record we probably would have kept Best on the bench and used him as an impact player with 10 minutes to go.
I wrote on another thread once about how, as an apparent major force in international football, it was embarrassing how we neglected the natural talent that was Glenn Hoddle.
Only 50 odd caps for a player that Beckenbaeur stated that if Hoddle was German, they would have built a team around him.

wolves71
28-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Nice one.

Saying that, with our track record we probably would have kept Best on the bench and used him as an impact player with 10 minutes to go.
I wrote on another thread once about how, as an apparent major force in international football, it was embarrassing how we neglected the natural talent that was Glenn Hoddle.
Only 50 odd caps for a player that Beckenbaeur stated that if Hoddle was German, they would have built a team around him.

Both Hoddle and Dalglish were players that for me had natural talent and i always looked forward as a youngster to seeing them on Match of the day. England never really appreciated Hoddle as a player.