PDA

View Full Version : What's this and why is it significant?

sota
08-07-2015, 09:14 AM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2ajz32p.jpg

barrington
08-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Did we not have a spell in the 60's being known as The Birds rather than The Millers or have I dreamt that??

leedsmiller
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
No but we had a Rother bird

royalfunkness
08-07-2015, 09:31 AM
My dad had a t-shirt with the Rotherbird bursting through it. I loved that t-shirt as a kid...this must have been the early 90's so I'm not sure when we had the 'bird.

When I started going properly in the mid-90's I'm sure we had Dusty by that point.

Millerlez
08-07-2015, 09:46 AM
We were known as the Rother birds in the fifties and early sixties.
I unfortunatley can remember it well!!

Sugar_Tiler#3
08-07-2015, 10:01 AM
No, we were never known as "the Rother Birds" in the 1950s or at any time.

However, every Saturday evening in the Sheffield Green 'Un, on the front page was a cartoon round up of the local teams' fortunes in a several box feature drawn & inked by cartoonist Harry Heap.

The Owls were depicted as, well Owls, the Blades a switch knife, Barnsley as a type of dog if I recall correctly and the Millers' were represented by the Rother Bird.

Sota's badge shows how the Millers' character was drawn, though in black & white on light green paper.

Dear John Piper, if he were still around, could have given you more chapter and verse but Les "His Name's on the NYS Press Room Door" Payne could answer any further queries, I'm sure.

ParkgateMiller
08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
That, Sota, IS a Rotherbird. I had that patch sewn onto my scarf when I was about 14 so it was visible when scarf was fitted in place around my neck. (At some point I heavily inscribed 'Warnock' in biro underneath it 'cos of his big nose!). As most Millers will know or remember, Neil played for the Millers. In later years I always had a sneaking hope that one day he would come back to manage us.

sota
08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
yep..

djsld
08-07-2015, 01:38 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2ajz32p.jpg

To be honest I was instantly transported back to my youth, and now have a craving for a glass of delicious orange squash ! - view external link (http://youtu.be/5LvLn9PWln8)

avondalemiller
08-07-2015, 01:43 PM
I remember at Bury( L6-0?) in the sixties, just before we played Man U in the cup i think, someone ran on the pitch and planted a Plywood cut out of Rotherbird in the centre circle,(or maybe Pen spot) then a Bury fan ran on and broke it...Big fight followed...

That was before we kicked off!!!!

Good old days eh?

Just looked, it was October 1965, we lost 6-1.

wrinkly
09-07-2015, 05:25 PM
[quote="Sugar_Tiler#3" in the 1950s or at any time.

[/quote]

You're correct as always ST.

I think Lez and Barrington are perhaps living proof of the reasoning behind the quote "if you remember the 60s you weren't really there"

My treasured "Rotherbird" supporters club badge

http://i61.tinypic.com/2q05c9c.jpg

I always thought that the bird was more associated with the supporters club than the team (may be wrong - I lived through the 60s myself ;D )

CAMiller
09-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Ah - Supporters Club.

For a moment there I thought you joined the US branch of Rotherham United Soccer Club XD

redandgreen
09-07-2015, 05:45 PM
I got that 'patch' from a sports shop at the bottom of Rawmarsh Hill. At Christmas 1969, I got an all red football strip, my mum put white stripes on the shorts and sewed the patch onto the shirt. Like Parkgate, i also had the patch sewn onto my bar scarf sometime after.

CAMiller
09-07-2015, 05:55 PM
I got that 'patch' from a sports shop at the bottom of Rawmarsh Hill. At Christmas 1969, I got an all red football strip, my mum put white stripes on the shorts and sewed the patch onto the shirt. Like Parkgate, i also had the patch sewn onto my bar scarf sometime after.

Broomheads? (the sports shop not a reference to bad hair styles)

Millerlez
09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
I remember quite clearly the cartoon type piece in the green un and accept ST knowledge.

Wrinkly as for not for being around in the sixties, I could perhaps give you a few years!!

loyalmiller
09-07-2015, 06:21 PM

I think Lez and Barrington are perhaps living proof of the reasoning behind the quote "if you remember the 60s you weren't really there"

I always thought that the bird was more associated with the supporters club than the team (may be wrong - I lived through the 60s myself ;D )

How do feel about selling it, Wrinkly? If so what would you be asking?

wrinkly
09-07-2015, 07:21 PM
I remember quite clearly the cartoon type piece in the green un and accept ST knowledge.

Wrinkly as for not for being around in the sixties, I could perhaps give you a few years!!

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression Lez. I didn't mean to imply that you were not, like myself, an old codger.

I was merely using a popular quote to suggest (jokingly of course) that people around in the 60s have little, or no, memory of the time due to the excessive "recreational" activities prevalent in that era

wrinkly
09-07-2015, 07:24 PM

How do feel about selling it, Wrinkly? If so what would you be asking?[/quote]

Not interested in selling thanks Loyal. I am not that interested in memorabilia but the badge was given to me by my dad years ago and is a bit special.

CAMiller
09-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression Lez. I didn't mean to imply that you were not, like myself, an old codger.

I was merely using a popular quote to suggest (jokingly of course) that people around in the 60s have little, or no, memory of the time due to the excessive "recreational" activities prevalent in that era[/quote]

In was around in the 60s and came to no harm from recreational activities:-

Clifton Park Paddling Pool
Rosehill Park swings, slide and climbing frame
Pop and crisps in the Yellow Lion beer garden (although eating those blue bags of salt maybe wasn't too good for me)

XD

wrinkly
09-07-2015, 07:52 PM

I was merely using a popular quote to suggest (jokingly of course) that people around in the 60s have little, or no, memory of the time due to the excessive "recreational" activities prevalent in that era[/quote]

Pop and crisps in the Yellow Lion beer garden (although eating those blue bags of salt maybe wasn't too good for me)

XD[/quote]

Didn't they have one of those multi seat rocking horses in Ros

CAMiller
09-07-2015, 07:59 PM

XD[/quote]

Didn't they have

loyalmiller
09-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Not interested in selling thanks Loyal. I am not that interested in memorabilia but the badge was given to me by my dad years ago and is a bit special.

No problem, Wrinkly. You've got a very rare item there, take good care of it and make sure anyone you leave it to take as good care of it as you have.

Millerlez
09-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Around 15/16 in 1960 so didn't think too much about rocking horses,but now realise they were,just didn't think of them at that time,damn!!